If Evolution

6days

Marhig said:
What evidence is there throughout the world that confirms that the world is only 6000 years old?
We can discuss evidence from the world around us; but first, wouldn't you agree that the best evidence for anything is God's word? Do you accept the genealogies from first Adam to last Adam as one evidence? If we don't use God's word as the starting point for interpreting evidence of the world around us, we aren't going to find agreement.

ThisIsMyUserName

We can discuss evidence from the world around us; but first, wouldn't you agree that the best evidence for anything is God's word? Do you accept the genealogies from first Adam to last Adam as one evidence? If we don't use God's word as the starting point for interpreting evidence of the world around us, we aren't going to find agreement.

Sad to hear you insist on such an attitude.
Scripture becomes so limited if you impose divine authorship.

Derf

Pardon me for backtracking a bit, but I quoted from your two most recent answers to my posts.
Those aren't contradictory. The first merely gives the scientific definition, and the second gives the consequences. Evolution is a change in allele frequency in a population. Speciation is a consequence of that change. Evolution can happen without speciation.

It cites Darwin's theory, (and says so) which is not current evolutionary theory. Darwin merely noted natural selection produced descent with modification. Modern evolutionary theory adds Mendel's discovery.

Which is true. But the proper scientific definition is the one I gave you. Has been since the "modern synthesis following the re-discovery of Mendel's work.
Ah--so there's a non-proper definition being propagated by a scientific site? Wasn't that my point? Thanks for proving it.

Well, let's take a look...

Darwin's Theory of Evolution: Definition & Evidence - Live Science
https://www.livescience.com › History
May 13, 2015 - The theory of evolution by natural selection, first formulated in Darwin's book "On the Origin of Species" in 1859, is the process by which organisms change over time as a result of changes in heritable physical or behavioral traits.

This one is Darwin's theory, formulated before genetics. It's accurate, but leaves out the fact that it's due to changes in alleles (different versions of the same gene). But it does say that it's Darwin's theory, not the modern theory which was changed to include genetics.

The others are variously inaccurate, which is why you have to be very careful about getting definitions of scientific terms from sources that don't have much to do with science.
You mean like On the Origin of Species, for instance? :devil:
Darwin's term was "descent with modification." He used the word "evolution" once that I know about in his book (the last word in the book in one edition). But he used it in the formal sense of "changed."
Ever wonder why we use the term "descent" when talking about those that come after? Descent has a pretty obvious definition. Here's Dictionary.com's back story on the word:

Word story. Descent has been in the English language since the 14th century. The French word from which it descends, descendre, ultimately comes from a Latin term whose literal meaning is “to climb” (scandre) “down” (de-).

Far as I know, the ability of populations to change over time was not called "evolution" until later. The notion that organisms could change is pretty old; St. Augustine mentioned it, and by Darwin's time, most people realized that some kind of change must happen. Lamark, for example had a theory before Darwin, which turned out to be wrong in almost all cases. Don't think he called it "evolution" though. Everything I've read from him called it "acquired characteristics."
I guess it's worth checking to see how much Darwin actually used the word in other works.
Here's one quote from his "The Descent of Man" (in which my search revealed some 24 uses):
"To maintain, independently of any direct evidence, that no animal during the course of ages has progressed in intellect or other mental faculties, is to beg the question of the evolution of species."

Thus, Darwin equated evolution with not just "change" but with progression, and certainly not just with a frequency of a particular characteristic, for which, despite the lack of the futuristic term "allele", he could easily have found words. Progression, interestingly enough, would be more synonymous with ascent, rather than descent.
(excerpt from thesaurus.com)

Word Origin & History
progress early 15c., "a going on, action of walking forward," from O.Fr. progres, from L. progressus (see progression). Figurative sense of "growth, development, advancement to higher stages" is from c.1600. The verb is attested from c.1590 in the lit. sense, c.1600 in the fig. sense.

One more thing about that quote. "Begging the question" as we all understand, hopefully, around here, means to assume the conclusion. Darwin's use is not that, though, as he uses it to mean "avoid the question".

I counted 24 uses of the word "evolution" in "Descent of Man", all of which seem to convey the same sort of meaning as above. Thus, even Darwin's title, "The Descent of Man" is oxymoronic with its content, which is "The Ascent of Man".

And you wonder why dictionaries (non-creationistic, non-theistic, mostly evolution-loving) have a hard time figuring out what scientists are talking about, since they obviously don't agree with each other on this basic use of a word.

Last edited:

Greg Jennings

You think evolution is not a theory?

You must be unfamiliar with how the term theory is used in science.

No, as you know, a theory in science is a hypothesis that has had so much evidence added to bolster it that it is seen as almost certainly true.

You know, like gravity. And just like gravity, we don't understand evolution perfectly yet. There are improvements to be made

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
Those aren't contradictory. The first merely gives the scientific definition, and the second gives the consequences. Evolution is a change in allele frequency in a population. Speciation is a consequence of that change. Evolution can happen without speciation.

It cites Darwin's theory, (and says so) which is not current evolutionary theory. Darwin merely noted natural selection produced descent with modification. Modern evolutionary theory adds Mendel's discovery.

Which is true. But the proper scientific definition is the one I gave you. Has been since the "modern synthesis following the re-discovery of Mendel's work.

Ah--so there's a non-proper definition being propagated by a scientific site?

It's the precise definition for Darwin's theory. That theory has since been modified to include genetics. And it correctly states that it's Darwin's theory that is being defined.

Wasn't that my point?

Don't think so. You were, I thought, arguing that those two different things were not being properly defined. As you see, they are.

Thanks for proving it.

Pleased to clear that up. Darwin's statement is quite correct; it merely doesn't add the findings of genetics, which cleared up a difficult problem for his original theory. The four basic points of Darwinism are observably true, of course.

You mean like On the Origin of Species, for instance?

Yep.

Ever wonder why we use the term "descent" when talking about those that come after?

Barbarian observes:
Far as I know, the ability of populations to change over time was not called "evolution" until later. The notion that organisms could change is pretty old; St. Augustine mentioned it, and by Darwin's time, most people realized that some kind of change must happen. Lamark, for example had a theory before Darwin, which turned out to be wrong in almost all cases. Don't think he called it "evolution" though. Everything I've read from him called it "acquired characteristics."

I guess it's worth checking to see how much Darwin actually used the word in other works.
Here's one quote from his "The Descent of Man" (in which my search revealed some 24 uses):
"To maintain, independently of any direct evidence, that no animal during the course of ages has progressed in intellect or other mental faculties, is to beg the question of the evolution of species."

Ah, The Descent of Man came later. So there you are.

Thus, Darwin equated evolution with not just "change" but with progression,

But by "progression", he meant fitness, not complexity or "higher" organization. Indeed, in his chapter on rudimentary organs, he discussed how organisms might lose functions through evolution.

Progression, interestingly enough, would be more synonymous with ascent, rather than descent.

Fighting language is usually a losing battle. One Darwin didn't bother fighting.

And you wonder why dictionaries (non-creationistic, non-theistic, mostly evolution-loving) have a hard time figuring out what scientists are talking about

Usually, because they don't listen. And, so many creationists spend much time and energy fighting an enemy they have themselves constructed while amused or bemused scientists watch the proceedings.

6days

Greg Jennings said:
Read it and weep, 6: Nurse sharks in the bikini atoll now have one dorsal fin instead of two (I got it backwards)
Yup.... I knew you had it wrong. It a totally different scenario than a useless extra appendage.

6days

Barbarian said:
I missed your evidence that two dorsal fins are harmful to sharks. Could you point to where you showed that to us?
Haha... I also missed where I said any such thing. I would think that two dorsal fins might be a good design feature. Are you creating more straw man arguments? (Did Greg's post cause you to just embarrass yourself?)

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, as you know, a theory in science is a hypothesis that has had so much evidence added to bolster it that it is seen as almost certainly true.

You know, like gravity. And just like gravity, we don't understand evolution perfectly yet. There are improvements to be made

Darwinists are forever messing this up:

Evolution. The theory that all life is descended from a common ancestor by means of random mutations and natural selection. Theory.

Gravity. The fact that masses are attracted toward each other according to the inverse square law. Fact.

Gravity is a fact. Evolution is just a theory.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
?? We have THOUSANDS of harmful mutations. Geneticist Kondradhov says " a newborn human carries about 100 NEW mutations," https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Crumbli...leterious+Mutations+on+Humans-p-9781118952115

He also said "The total number of new mutations per diploid human genome per generation is about 100...at least 10% of these are deleterious".

Your understandng of Scripture is as bad as your understanding of genetics. If you wish, I can give you a link from an atheist site claiming the geneaologies are a contradiction. I can also provide links from Chriistian theologians showing how the geneaologies are consistent and inerrant. We see where you come down on scripture.

The recessives do manifest themselves some times without close relative marriage. That is part of the reason VSDM's are called the population bomb by some geneticists.

Even back in the 80's geneticists knew better than that. Twice I clarified that we were talking about populations with high mutation rate, and low reproductive rates. Do you think multicellular eukaryotes have low 'Birth' rates?

We are discussing genetics...not diet. Geneticist Crow says that "It seems clear that for the past few centuries harmful mutations have been accumulating. Why don’t we notice this? If we are like Drosophila, the decrease in viability from mutation accumulation is some 1 or 2% per generation". Crow says for the time being, although genome is deteriorating, we are perhaps keeping up with genetic load by improving environment. (Interesting that even flies have a 2% loss of viability per generation) <PNAS 97>

You don't seem to understand either topic.

It isn't creationists who think the geneaologies of Jesus is inconsistent. Evolutionists reject the connection between first Adam (who had a wife made from his rib) to that of Last Adam, and the cross.

High five, Six. :up:

Greg Jennings

Yup.... I knew you had it wrong. It a totally different scenario than a useless extra appendage.

You're just a liar. 6, I'm done. You are the most dishonest person on this site.

Learn to answer a question. Or better yet, go ask them of the professors at your nearest university. But you would never do that bc they'd prove you wrong and you couldn't hide behind your keyboard. You can't ignore questions in person, you coward. Pathetic

Greg Jennings

Darwinists are forever messing this up:

Evolution. The theory that all life is descended from a common ancestor by means of random mutations and natural selection. Theory.

Gravity. The fact that masses are attracted toward each other according to the inverse square law. Fact.

Gravity is a fact. Evolution is just a theory.

No. They are both theories. If another comes along that explains attraction of masses better than we would adopt it.

You're only looking dumber with every post. You and 6, both

Greg Jennings

It's not different at all. You're just trapped and you know it you weasel.
You can't tell me how one fins hurts or helps in comparison to two. The only thing you are accomplished at is not answering questions. That's a neutral mutation, 6. It has 0 effect on the sharks. I know that bc it is present in the population, but not universal. If it was negative, it would be rare at best. If it was positive, it would be everywhere. Again: the mutation has 0 effect, hence it is neutral. It's pretty simple

I've proved you wrong. And any person educated in the subject matter would agree. Only YECs don't, and YECs are by and large (but not all) stupid or ignorant of all science. The fact that you don't see it diesnt mean much when you consider that you are scientifically illiterate.

Does it bother you that only stupid or ignorant people believe as you do? That your "evidence" is laughed at in every school in the world? That every scientist worth his salt either believes in a 4.5 billion year old Earth OR honestly (and admirably) admits that the evidence doesn't fit his theological views?

I don't really think you're a coward or a bad person, 6. But your inability to have a straight conversation is cowardly

Last edited: