If Evolution

Right Divider

Body part
I love the way I clicked on your link, and it was like being in a driverless car.

How did you do that?
It's called "let me google that for you"

But the first Wiki link I clicked on had some really heavy maths which harshed my buzz and the ride.

What Wiki did say in the first paragraph was "A variable speed of light (VSL) is a feature of a family of hypotheses stating that the speed of light in vacuum, usually denoted by c, may in some way not be constant, e.g. varying in space or time, or depending on frequency. A variable speed of light occurs in some situations of classical physics as equivalent formulations of accepted theories, but also in various alternative theories of gravitation and cosmology, many of them non-mainstream."

I stick pretty much to the mainstream science.
Once again.... the mainstream is not always right. The mainstream often suffers from "group think" and believes lies because they have been accepted by the "majority".

Last edited:

iouae

It's called "let me google that for you"

Once again.... the mainstream is not always right. The mainstream often suffers from "group think" and believes lies because the have been accepted by the "majority".

I tried LMGTFY.com. It's wonderful, thanks.

I teach mainstream science. Its the science that is useful and that works. It's the science that powers all our technology and the advances we see around us today. Its the science that created medicine, and modern farming which has generated more food than mouths can eat. It is the science which gives us computers, will give us AI, will give us stem cell research which will prevent diseases. Its the science unravelling genomes and studying genetic diseases. Its the science probing the heavens and the depths of the oceans. Its the science probing the atom and subatomic particles, and searching for the "theory of everything". I live for that science.

The other kind is obstructionist, useless, and seems to be brought out only to try to put doubt on what all reputable scientists believe.

Of course there are things like evolution which should not even be called "science" but some sort of fable, or as they called it rightly in the old days "The Theory of Evolution". No offence intended to those who believe evolution, since all biology and palaeontology is taught from a God-free paradigm.

Many great naturalists and biologists I respect highly for their great scientific habits and knowledge (even Darwin), while forgiving them for wrapping that belief inside a fable. It's impossible to study the life sciences today without being worked over on a daily basis by one's lecturers. I have been through that mill, and came out the other end punch drunk, but still not believing in evolution.

Right Divider

Body part
I tried LMGTFY.com. It's wonderful, thanks.

I teach mainstream science. Its the science that is useful and that works. It's the science that powers all our technology and the advances we see around us today. Its the science that created medicine, and modern farming which has generated more food than mouths can eat. It is the science which gives us computers, will give us AI, will give us stem cell research which will prevent diseases. Its the science unravelling genomes and studying genetic diseases. Its the science probing the heavens and the depths of the oceans. Its the science probing the atom and subatomic particles, and searching for the "theory of everything". I live for that science.
I'm not arguing with real science. "Evolution" is not one of those kinds of "science".

The other kind is obstructionist, useless, and seems to be brought out only to try to put doubt on what all reputable scientists believe.
I'm not sure what "other kind" you might be talking about.

Of course there are things like evolution which should not even be called "science" but some sort of fable, or as they called it rightly in the old days "The Theory of Evolution". No offence intended to those who believe evolution, since all biology and palaeontology is taught from a God-free paradigm.
There you go!

Many great naturalists and biologists I respect highly for their great scientific habits and knowledge (even Darwin), while forgiving them for wrapping that belief inside a fable. It's impossible to study the life sciences today without being worked over on a daily basis by one's lecturers. I have been through that mill, and came out the other end punch drunk, but still not believing in evolution.
Good for you!

6days

iouae said:
....Its the science probing the heavens and the depths of the oceans. Its the science probing the atom and subatomic particles, and searching for the "theory of everything". I live for that science.
AS Right Divider said, you are describing real science. Evolutionism (stellar, chemical, common ancestry) is not science, but instead a belief that has hindered science and harmed people.

6days

I have never heard of them.

But I live to amuse you.
I could tell you were unfamiliar with all things genetics. Your only argument was ad hominem. Instead of attempting to address their statements (in secular journals) you attacked the person.
BTW... you not knowing the geneticists, nor the subject matter, is not really a good argument...right?

6days

Right Divider said:
The mainstream often suffers from "group think" and believes lies because the have been accepted by the "majority".
Very true. In fact the consensus has most often been wrong in the past.

But you remind me of an interesting story. I think it was somewheres around 1930 when some scientist, likely with a fairly poor microscope counted 48 chromosomes in the human genome. (Or maybe he just thought humans and monkeys would have the same). Groupthink accepted that for about 30 more years. There were some scientists who looked and they thought there was only 46 but still accepted the 48 number.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
AS Right Divider said, you are describing real science. Evolutionism (stellar, chemical, common ancestry) is not science, but instead a belief that has hindered science and harmed people.

Evolution, as you know, is directly observed. "Evolutionism" is a creationist straw man.

And yes, it's harmed people. Most immediately, the Creationist invention of evolutionism has persuaded many people that God and reality are incompatible.

YE creationism will have much to answer for at judgement.

iouae

I could tell you were unfamiliar with all things genetics. Your only argument was ad hominem. Instead of attempting to address their statements (in secular journals) you attacked the person.
BTW... you not knowing the geneticists, nor the subject matter, is not really a good argument...right?

This post, which you keep harping back on, seems to have been a defining moment in your life.

I don't even remember it. I have made it my lifelong policy not to encumber my mind with trivia, such as the names of those geneticists you mentioned, or even the post you refer back to. I suck at Trivial Pursuit too. You would be shocked at how much I don't know.

But you 6days are a living, breathing answering machine. Well done on how you keep finding answers to the most obtuse questions in the most obscure places. It is a superpower I greatly admire.

6days

Marhig said:
There is no one, or not even any cult that says such a thing. (Not that I'm aware of).

So why do you believe that Jesus' natural death saves you?[/quote]

Marhig... I will gladly discuss things with you providing you actually read replies. I had just said NOBODY believes Jesus death saves, then you ask why I believe that.

Did you want a discussion, where each of us actually reads, and responds to what has been said?
Marhig said:
The shedding of the blood is Spiritual not natural, the natural blood that came from Jesus when he died can't save anyone, we are saved by the blood of Christ, the same blood that the Jesus said we must drink to have life in us. And we are to eat his flesh also, this isn't his natural flesh either. It is all spiritual.
So, based on that, would you say Jesus didn't really need to physically die shedding physical blood? That does seem to be the position of many evolutionists who try desperate the sin of first Adam, from the physical death of Last Adam.

Marhig said:
And as said before, Jesus forgave sins before he went on the cross, so he didn't have to die to save.
Then how is the cross meaningful at all if the physical death and resurrection of Jesus was not necessary? (IOW... He could have just suffered spiritual death and saved Himself the agony of the cross since real blood is not required for forgiveness? The OT Jews did all that sacrificing for naught?)

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
Evolution, as you know, is directly observed.

"Evolution", as you know, is a term that changes depending on the doctrine of the definer.

Creationists have come up with all sorts of weird definitions of "evolution."

But in science, biological evolution has one definition:
"change in allele frequency in a population over time."

From actual science, we know that matter does not create life on its own.

And as you should have known, if you presumed to tell us about it, evolution is not about the origin of life. If God had just poofed the first living things into existence, (as Darwin suggested He did) evolution would work exactly the same way.

"People are usually down on things they aren't up on."
Everette Dirkson

He's talking to you, Skippy.

Right Divider

Body part
Barbarian observes:

Oh....really....

Spectacular!!!

And as you should have known, if you presumed to tell us about it, evolution is not about the origin of life. If God had just poofed the first living things into existence, (as Darwin suggested He did) evolution would work exactly the same way.
The "change in the allele frequency in a population over time" is not some unbounded free-for-all.

"People are usually down on things they aren't up on."
Everette Dirkson

He's talking to you, Skippy.
No, he's not, Sparky.

2003cobra

Wasn't it you that says that God just created the world and the animals just came from that?

No, that was the first creation story that said that.

Genesis 1 says God created the world and the earth brought forth plants and animals.

Plants:
Then God said, "Let the earth put forth vegetation: plants yielding seed, and fruit trees of every kind on earth that bear fruit with the seed in it." And it was so. 12 The earth brought forth vegetation: plants yielding seed of every kind, and trees of every kind bearing fruit with the seed in it. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening and there was morning, the third day.

Water creatures:
And God said, "Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the dome of the sky." 21 So God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, of every kind, with which the waters swarm, and every winged bird of every kind. And God saw that it was good

Land creatures:
And God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures of every kind: cattle and creeping things and wild animals of the earth of every kind." And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals of the earth of every kind, and the cattle of every kind, and everything that creeps upon the ground of every kind. And God saw that it was good.

Of course, the Barbarian may have repeated the teaching of scripture.

2003cobra

Evolution, as you know, is directly observed. "Evolutionism" is a creationist straw man.

And yes, it's harmed people. Most immediately, the Creationist invention of evolutionism has persuaded many people that God and reality are incompatible.

YE creationism will have much to answer for at judgement.
Yes, much to answer for, especially when the Bible has two creation stories with different orders and methods of creation proving that a literal interpretation of the first creation story is a denial of what the Bible says.

2003cobra

This post, which you keep harping back on, seems to have been a defining moment in your life.

I don't even remember it. I have made it my lifelong policy not to encumber my mind with trivia, such as the names of those geneticists you mentioned, or even the post you refer back to. I suck at Trivial Pursuit too. You would be shocked at how much I don't know.

But you 6days are a living, breathing answering machine. Well done on how you keep finding answers to the most obtuse questions in the most obscure places. It is a superpower I greatly admire.
If only discernment and insight were combined with that superpower!

Derf

Barbarian observes:

It's nice to know that creationists have control over all the dictionaries out there, including "livescience", wikipedia (well-known for being a bastion of creationism, right?), and biology-online.org.

I especially like the following graph, showing that evolution as a concept was hardly ever mentioned before Darwin published his theory, suggesting, of course, that practically all of the definitions of evolution that we use today are related to Darwin's theory. (Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to get the graph in here as an image)
https://books.google.com/ngrams/int... hspace=0 vspace=0 frameborder=0 scrolling=no

Some of the search results for definitions of evolution:
ev·o·lu·tion
ˌevəˈlo͞oSH(ə)n/noun
1.the process by which different kinds of living organisms are thought to have developed and diversified from earlier forms during the history of the earth.
synonyms: Darwinism, natural selection
"his interest in evolution"
2.the gradual development of something, especially from a simple to a more complex form.
"the forms of written languages undergo constant evolution"
synonyms: development, advancement, growth, rise, progress, expansion, unfolding;

Evolution | Definition of Evolution by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/evolution
Define evolution: descent with modification from preexisting species : cumulative inherited change in a population of…

Evolution | Define Evolution at Dictionary.com
www.dictionary.com/browse/evolution
a product of such development; something evolved : The exploration of space is the evolution of decades of research. 3. Biology. change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.

evolution | Definition of evolution in English by Oxford Dictionaries
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/evolution
1The process by which different kinds of living organism are believed to have developed from earlier forms during the history of the earth. ...

Evolution definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/evolution
biology. a gradual change in the characteristics of a population of animals or plants over successive generations: accounts for the origin of existing species from ancestors unlike them. See also natural selection. a gradual development, esp to a more complex form. the evolution of modern art.

Evolution - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
For example, ecological inheritance through the process of niche construction is defined by the regular and repeated activities of organisms in their environment. This generates a legacy of effects that modify and feed back into the selection regime of subsequent generations. Descendants inherit genes plus environmental ...

Definition of evolution - Merriam-Webster's Student Dictionary
www.wordcentral.com/cgi-bin/student?evolution
Main Entry: ev·o·lu·tion. Pronunciation: secondarystress ev- schwa - primarystress lü-sh schwa n, secondarystress emacron -v schwa - Function: noun 1 a : a process of change in a certain direction; especially : a process of constant change from a lower or simple state to a higher or complex state : GROWTH b

Evolution - Biology-Online Dictionary
https://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Evolution
Sep 30, 2016 - Definition. noun, plural: evolutions. (1) The change in genetic composition of a population over successive generations, which may be caused by natural selection, inbreeding, hybridization, or mutation. (2) The sequence of events depicting the development of a species or of a group of related organisms; ...

evolution Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/evolution
evolution definition, meaning, what is evolution: the way in which living things change and develop over millions of years: . Learn more.

Darwin's Theory of Evolution: Definition & Evidence - Live Science
https://www.livescience.com › History
May 13, 2015 - The theory of evolution by natural selection, first formulated in Darwin's book "On the Origin of Species" in 1859, is the process by which organisms change over time as a result of changes in heritable physical or behavioral traits. Changes that allow an organism to better adapt to its environment will help it ...