If Evolution

Jose Fly

[MENTION=6696]Lon[/MENTION] you seem to be straddling the fence a bit. To clarify, are you a young-earth creationist, or something else?

Reactions: Lon

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
After the creation of heaven God came to a body of water without form. Another word for Earth is Tera-forma. God teraformed the Earth. God caused the sun to shine, the clouds were blocking the sunlight. The sun had already been created when God created the heavens.
The Hebrew says that God made the raqiya on day two. Raqqa (verb), the root word of raqiya (noun), means "to spread out by beating."

The firmament (not of (the) heaven(s)) is raqiya.

What's interesting about this word is that in Psalm 136:6, David writes:

To Him who laid out the earth above the waters, For His mercy endures forever; - Psalm 136:6 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm136:6&version=KJ21

The word used at the beginning of this verse is raqqa ("To Him who spread out"). Then it says "the earth above the waters." That sounds an awful lot like the "great deep" in Genesis 7:11.

Google this:
"Global Flood Hydroplate Theory kgov"

As for your etymology above...

It's not that we get "terraform" from "terra-firma." No, it's that we get rock from raqiya and raqqa.

iouae

Are you familiar with Buckland's ideas of natural theology?

https://archive.org/details/geologyandminer08buckgoog

Your ideas somehow remind me of his book.

I am not familiar with Buckland.

However I did enjoy this book on geology from a Creationist perspective.

The Project Gutenberg EBook of The Chain of Life in Geological Time, by
Sir J. William Dawson

This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with
almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or
re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included
with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.org

Title: The Chain of Life in Geological Time
A Sketch of the Origin and Succession of Animals and Plants

Author: Sir J. William Dawson

Release Date: May 30, 2011 [EBook #36261]

Language: English

Character set encoding: ASCII

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Title: The Chain of Life in Geological Time
A Sketch of the Origin and Succession of Animals and Plants

Author: Sir J. William Dawson
\
It was free on Amazon for my Kindle. Thanks. Should be interesting.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Either their own spirit, or Him.

Everyone thinks it's Him. And of course, there's nothing that stops a true Christian from fooling himself.

Don't worry about the textbook. I can remember some really bad ones, so it's not impossible. But definitely not what state standards were in Washington State at the time.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Water is still water, whether you're a fish or a human.

Obviously, a fish lives in water, and we in air, but both fish and humans can swim in water.

You're outside of water, just as God is outside of time.

God experiences time like we do because He, like us, is in time. We're all swimming along the same stream.[/QUOTE]

God created all things, including time. And it exists in the world He made for us. But He's not limited by His creation, nor is He part of it.

iouae

After the creation of heaven God came to a body of water without form. Another word for Earth is Tera-forma. God teraformed the Earth. God caused the sun to shine, the clouds were blocking the sunlight. The sun had already been created when God created the heavens.

God did terraform the earth.

And God did cause the sun to shine through the clouds which were blocking the sunlight.

But why do you say that "The sun had already been created when God created the heavens".

iouae

And? We are 'thinking' that all space is the same. We tend to 'extrapolate' and our science knowledge is based off that. For me, it is better for science in the long run NOT to posture over these matters. Religion is dogmatic and has to be. Science doesn't have to be because it is always retesting and NEEDS to be willing to rethink consensus. Consensus can be a death knell to further good science.

Not when you admit factors can affect it. Again, we 'extrapolate' what we 'think.' Good 'theory' but such MUST be testable. If not? :nono: Science is theory, but untestable science is a best guess. I'd grant that I'd take Spocks 'best guess' over my own. In the video, gravity and lack of vacuum etc. are all factors.

:nono: No they don't. :think: They NEED to read and listen to what God says if two cross the same subject matter.

:nono: If given to its physical limitation, it is our best guess but Colossians 1:17
IS God capable of doing anything? :think: Science is supposing the 'way' such is done. We SHOULD always see if God has said something about the subject matter.

Again, they are 'supposed to!' Science IS about using whatever we have, but we haven't cured cancer yet. IF scientists just settled, they are no longer doing 'science' and they'd not have gone toward immunotherapy etc.

:up:

It is an extrapolation. As I said, we have NO way to actually test that theory. Models? Sure, but to actually check it out? We can't. Nobody has a billion years to wait.

:think: Are you a Hebrew scholar?

Lon, I respect your opinions on spiritual matters, but I get the impression that you regard science as shades of grey.

There are some areas of science which are still unsettled, such as subatomic particles, unifying gravity with other forces, multi-dimensional string theory, etc.

But I thought the speed of light in the vacuum of space was settled :)

Right Divider

Body part
Lon, I respect your opinions on spiritual matters, but I get the impression that you regard science as shades of grey.

There are some areas of science which are still unsettled, such as subatomic particles, unifying gravity with other forces, multi-dimensional string theory, etc.

But I thought the speed of light in the vacuum of space was settled :)
The history of science is full of things that were once settled, but later found not to be settled.

Just Google for: the changing speed of light

http://bfy.tw/GE3H

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You're outside of water, just as God is outside of time.

Perhaps it's a poor analogy. But my point stands, God is not outside of time.

God created all things, including time.

The Bible does not say that God created time, nor does it say that He is outside of time.

And it exists in the world He made for us. But He's not limited by His creation, nor is He part of it.

See, you're arguing that if God is in time then he's part of His creation, because you're arguing from the position that God created time.

I'm arguing that God from the position that He did not create time, because time is only a concept that we use to describe when something occurred. I'm arguing from the position that the future and past don't exist (the past did happen, but no longer exists, and the future hasn't happened yet, nor does it exist), only the present exists, and God is in the present, just like we are.

Besides, time is a prerequisite of creation. From Kgov...

Many have been told that time was created by God, and that it is not an aspect of His existence. Please consider though that time cannot be created. Why not? Because creation means going from non-existence to existence, which itself is a sequence, a before and after. And any before and after sequence requires time. Time therefore is a precondition of creating. Thus time itself cannot be created. So just as Scripture describes God's creation of matter and space, light and life, but not of time, even the secular BBC begins their Before the Big Bang program acknowledging that the notion of time coming into existence "may be a logical contradiction." The scientific fad, with its ubiquitous acceptance, of claiming that time came into existence with the big bang, could effortlessly disappear if not needed by the next fad, the multiverse. For although the statement that "time came into existence" launched a million words in its defense, men have no way of even thinking about the notion, for in a deep sense it is meaningless. (Similarly, men have no way of even thinking about the evolutionary notion of how a merely physical system could give rise to a biological information systems. So in both the alleged materialist evolution of information, and in the claim that time came into existence, meaninglessness reveals itself through this inability even to think about such things.)

God did many things before creation (John 17:5, 24; Rom. 8:29; 1 Pet. 1:20; Eph. 1:4). God being outside of time wouldn't make sense if these things were done by him before time was created (which is a logical contradiction, by the way).

CherubRam

God did terraform the earth.

And God did cause the sun to shine through the clouds which were blocking the sunlight.

But why do you say that "The sun had already been created when God created the heavens".

Suns, moons, planets, and other such things came to be in the creation of the heavens. The Sun was already here when God created this world.

2003cobra

He describes Himself in His book. Haven't you read it? It's called the Bible.

I have read it all.

And it doesn’t say that God experiences time as we do.

It does say this, in Romans 11:
O the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!

6days

2003cobra said:
6day is under the mistaken impression that Jesus did not have that authority
You are starting to go the route Barbarian follows....his old arguments have been disprove, so he resorts to dishonesty. When you mispresent someone else's position, because you can't refute the actual argument...its called the straw man fallacy.

Of course Jesus had the authority to forgive sin. So, are you saying that forgiveness of sin by Jesus has no connection to His she'd blood? (People past, and present). The question remains... Scripture tells us that there is no forgiveness of sin without the shedding of blood. For all humanity, past and present what... or who's blood forgives sin? Do you think the cross was not necessary... that Jesus could forgive sin without going to Calvary?

Lon

... of course, there's nothing that stops a true Christian from fooling himself.
Disagree. Again "Sovereign" means "God is in control." Colossians 1:17 and John 15:5. Disagreement? Depends upon how important such is. Generally, I'd reckon science business and Christian business don't often collide AND when they do, it is often mutually good (leprosy cure for instance).
Don't worry about the textbook. I can remember some really bad ones, so it's not impossible. But definitely not what state standards were in Washington State at the time.
Again, thank you for looking and giving the benefit too. :e4e:

2003cobra

You are starting to go the route Barbarian follows....his old arguments have been disprove, so he resorts to dishonesty. When you mispresent someone else's position, because you can't refute the actual argument...its called the straw man fallacy.
Funny that I would be called dishonest by someone who rejects the text of the second creation story and rewrites the text of the first creation story.
Of course Jesus had the authority to forgive sin. So, are you saying that forgiveness of sin by Jesus has no connection to His she'd blood? (People past, and present). The question remains... Scripture tells us that there is no forgiveness of sin without the shedding of blood. For all humanity, past and present what... or who's blood forgives sin? Do you think the cross was not necessary... that Jesus could forgive sin without going to Calvary?
I know Jesus forgave sins before His blood was shed.

And He stated that He had authority to forgive sins.

So you have His actions and His declaration. How much more proof do you need?

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
George, I had hoped you would not deny what the text says.

I had hoped you would not read into the text something that it does not say.

Just so you know, JEDP died a natural death when the church moved past the documentary hypothesis fable.
There is only one version of creation because there was only one creation.
Gen 2 increases magnification on the 'man' creation part and tells more details about it.

2003cobra

I had hoped you would not read into the text something that it does not say.

Just so you know, JEDP died a natural death when the church moved past the documentary hypothesis fable.
There is only one version of creation because there was only one creation.
Gen 2 increases magnification on the 'man' creation part and tells more details about it.
Yet the second creation story story, the one beginning in Genesis 2.4b, has a different order and method of creation from the first creation story.

So they are incompatible as literal history.

To deny that is to deny the text, which appears to be your approach.

And I still had hoped for better from you.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
... of course, there's nothing that stops a true Christian from fooling himself.

Not reasonable. If you were right, then almost no one would be a true Christian, and who is to say which one of the hundreds of different faiths is right?

As far as the textbook goes, I trust your word. More than I trust most people here. I'm just puzzled.