Heaven

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
You made some good points but i still think steko gave the right answers on this. Maybe you didn't read his post. :think:

I'm not a JW but Kingdom Rose provided correct information regarding the state of the dead.

No one has ascended to "heaven" except Jesus and he is only there temporarily.

People are familiar with John 3:16 but what about John 3:13?

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.​

So there's your answer regarding the state of the dead. However, they will be resurrected.

But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. (Revelation 20:5 NKJV)​

Robert Pate

Banned
So call me dumb, but my question is this -

Do our loved ones go to heaven right away when they die ? Do they go directly to be with Christ or stay asleep until the 2nd coming ? Does the soul go to heaven immediately but not the body until Christ returns ?

Are there scriptures that plainly tell us what happens at death ?

Nothing happens until Jesus appears and then everything happens.

1 Corinthians 15:51-58.

RBBI

I agree with most of Steko's post. Our soul is the "us" part of the equation. It consists of our mind, will, emotions, and desires, the 4 chambers of our "heart" that are to be tied to the 4 corners of the altar with cords of love that cannot be broken. To do so in this life is gain for this life AND the life after. To not do so, is to have the soul stay trapped by whatever it did not overcome through the Spirit of HaShem while still in a body. They are the "unclothed" and will be ashamed at the resurrection.

We are meant to be clothed with new garments/virgin soul/unashamed. These are those that have washed their robes in the blood of the lamb. The soul is the robe of the spirit. This is why we are told to rend our HEARTS and not our garments. That means to willingly lay your soul on the altar as a sweet smelling sacrifice unto the Lord, a greater love has no man than this.

Once again, everything must line up with the pattern given to Moses on the mount, so we must study the Tabernacle pattern, that Heb. 9 says is the pattern of heavenly or spiritual things. Each of the courts required a change of GARMENTS to approach the Most High.

Steko is correct also in what the heavens are and how many. There are 3 which line up with the 3 courts of the Tabernacle and the waters separated by the firmament in Gen. 1. Everything that was made below the firmament is called the waters below the firmament/Spirit. The firmament is the Son of HaShem, which is why He walked on the waters, and why He told Nicodemus, I'm standing in front of you, but I'm in heaven. The Seed/Spiritual Son that stood before Him WAS in heaven, and so are we to be CAUGHT UP to be where He is.

But the soul, if weighted down with known sin, is like a weight tied around the neck that pulls the soul down into the waters of judgment, which is what the waters below represent, ie. the letter of the law still is at work here condemning the fleshly soul. Peace

Timotheos

Yes, and no, our loved ones don't go anywhere. God said that when we die we "go back to the dust" (Genesis 3:19), period. He said nothing about living on after you die. The dead are not conscious of anything (Ecclesiastes 9:5), and yes, they stay "asleep" until the Resurrection after Jesus comes again (John 5:28). It was the Devil who started this whole thing about "you don't really die" (Genesis 3:4). There is nothing in the Scriptures that say that dead people aren't really dead.

The "soul" is not something that separates from the body at death. It is the whole person. The soul can die (Ezekiel 18:4; Matthew 10:28). Adam was MADE a living soul.....he wasn't given one (Genesis 2:7).

A good example that illustrates what happens at death is the death of Lazarus in the 11th chapter of John. Did Lazarus' soul leave his body when he died, to go to heaven? Obviously nothing of the sort happened, because when Jesus called to him to come out, he did just that. Do you think that Lazarus was in heaven for those 4 days? Why on earth would Jesus call him back from heaven? No....Jesus said that Lazarus was "asleep," and he would go and wake him from "sleep."(John 11:11-13) Lazarus' sister Martha also stated that she knew her brother would rise again "on the last day," so there was a belief among the Jews that there would be a resurrection. (John 11:24) There doesn't seem to be any idea of a person being somewhere else, alive, when he was dead.

They all knew the writing of Solomon in Ecclesiastes as well: "The fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast....All go to the same place. All came from the dust and all return to the dust." (Eccles.3:19,20, NASB) The only thing different is that man will receive a resurrection, whereas the beasts will not.

I think this is pretty clear. Would you comment on this please?
I think you said it well. You have my vote for best post on this thread.

iouae

KingdomRose is correct.
We are asleep until the Last Trumpet which sounds at Christ's return.
This is referring to the 7th trumpet of Revelation.

1 Cor 15
22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

Christ is the first fruit or first person raised from the dead. The next resurrection is at His coming.

There is no consciousness after death until the resurrection.
Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Steko's argument that to wait 2000 years is a problem, has zero validity. To the saint involved, their next moment of consciousness will be to rise with those left on earth to meet Christ in the air.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
You have nothing to back that up. NOTHING.

Nothing but repentance or the lack of repentance.

Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God. (Hebrews 6:1 NKJV)​

glorydaz

Ask her to read Revelation 20 keeping in mind that death frees a person from their sins. This can be by asking the Father to apply Jesus' death to her sins or she can pay the debt herself. It's her choice.

You have nothing to back that up. NOTHING.

Nothing but repentance or the lack of repentance.

Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God. (Hebrews 6:1 NKJV)​

So you're claiming those "dead works" are how she can pay the debt herself?

You think repentance of any kind will pay the debt for sin?

glorydaz

Quote:
Ecclesiastes 9:2 All things come alike to all: there is one event to the righteous, and to the wicked; to the good and to the clean, and to the unclean; to him that sacrificeth, and to him that sacrificeth not: as is the good, so is the sinner; and he that sweareth, as he that feareth an oath.

Quote:
Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

The problem with Ecclesiastes is that it's NOT God's arguments, but God's record of man's arguments.
Which is why you'll find many verses in other books of the Bible that contradict what is stated there in those verses.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
KingdomRose is correct.
We are asleep until the Last Trumpet which sounds at Christ's return.
This is referring to the 7th trumpet of Revelation.

1 Cor 15
22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

Christ is the first fruit or first person raised from the dead. The next resurrection is at His coming.

There is no consciousness after death until the resurrection.

Steko's argument that to wait 2000 years is a problem, has zero validity. To the saint involved, their next moment of consciousness will be to rise with those left on earth to meet Christ in the air.

nope post # 18 takes it so far, my thread.

iouae

nope post # 18 takes it so far, my thread.

Nice thread PJ :)

Here is what Steko wrote...
"Paul gives us information of the state of deceased believers. He refers to them as 'asleep', which I understand to imply the 'horizontal' temporary state of the physical body, awaiting the future resurrection- anastasia/stand up(verticle).
Since the believer has entered into eternal life at the point of faith in the finished work of Christ, I believe that the conscious 'I' goes to be in the presence of Christ in heaven until they return with Christ to be reunited with the physical body at the resurrection and gathering to meet the Lord in the air."

First off, when we rise to meet Christ we are not given a physical body but a spiritual one.
Second, Steko correctly refers to dead believers as "asleep". By this the Bible means unconscious.
Third, he says he BELIEVES that "the conscious "I" goes to be in the presence of Christ"... which directly contradicts the Biblical idea that death = dreamless sleep. Death is certainly not sleep-walking in heaven.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
So you're claiming those "dead works" are how she can pay the debt herself?

The debt to sin is death and death is death no matter who pays. Anyone can petition the Father for the application of Jesus' death to their debt. Those who don't will pay the debt theirself.

No one gets out of this life alive.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Nice thread PJ :)

Here is what Steko wrote...
"Paul gives us information of the state of deceased believers. He refers to them as 'asleep', which I understand to imply the 'horizontal' temporary state of the physical body, awaiting the future resurrection- anastasia/stand up(verticle).
Since the believer has entered into eternal life at the point of faith in the finished work of Christ, I believe that the conscious 'I' goes to be in the presence of Christ in heaven until they return with Christ to be reunited with the physical body at the resurrection and gathering to meet the Lord in the air."

First off, when we rise to meet Christ we are not given a physical body but a spiritual one.
Second, Steko correctly refers to dead believers as "asleep". By this the Bible means unconscious.
Third, he says he BELIEVES that "the conscious "I" goes to be in the presence of Christ"... which directly contradicts the Biblical idea that death = dreamless sleep. Death is certainly not sleep-walking in heaven.

Maybe the body sleeps but the spirit and soul are with Christ. We are spirit, soul and body as Paul tells us.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Maybe the body sleeps but the spirit and soul are with Christ. We are spirit, soul and body as Paul tells us.

Let's say for the sake of discussion that Jesus died. If that's true then it is written that his body was entombed for a few days and his spirit returned to God who gave it.

His spirit and his body were separated and we know from scripture that is the definition of death. The soul is the combination of breath and brain. If either is missing there is no life.

Death is death, not another form of life. The dead don't even know they are dead and won't know until their resurrection when they ask, "Where am I?"

iouae

I consider this idea that we persist after death to be just a variation on this theme "Thou shalt not surely die". I consider it to be the first and most persistent lie perpetuated by Satan.

We see it in all ancestral spirit religions.

I bet it was the lie which Lucifer told his fellow angels which induced them to rebel against God. "You cannot die, therefore there is nothing God can do to you". To this day it is FALSELY believed that spirit beings cannot die. It is FALSELY believed that humans will burn forever in hell (because they cannot die).

If Christ never really died, then this scripture is untrue.

Mark 8:31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

If Christ died on the cross and rose immediately again as a spirit being then it was not after three days that He rose again, but INSTANTLY that He rose again.

12jtartar

Where is David, the former king of Israel? Is he in heaven?

Jamie,
The Bible tells us that David is in his grave, waiting for a resurrection, just like all those who will be resurrected is, John 3:13, John 5:28,29, Acts 24:15, Acts 2:29,34.
There is something also that needs to be understood. David is not to be resurrected on the First Resurrection, mentioned at Revelation 20:5,6. According to the scriptures the way to go to heaven was not opened until the death of Jesus, Hebrews 9:8. This was also what is meant by what was said right after Jesus died, that the curtain, or vail was torn from top to bottom, Matthew 27:51. A very important point about this is mentioned at Matthew 11:11, 12, What John is speaking about here is that all the prophets taught about the coming of the Messiah, Jesus, and about the general resurrection, for all that came before John, then he speaks about after John, where men would try, extremely hard to get into this group, that will be Kings and Priests, ruling in heaven with Jesus, and who take part in the First Resurrection, Romans 9:16,17. These will be resurrected to heaven as New Creations, Spirit Creatures, and Immortal, Revelation 5:10, 20:4-6. Notice that in verse 6 it says the the second death has no authority over them. That is because they will be resurrected as Immortal creatures, 1Corinthians 15:51-54, 2Corinthians 5:17, Galatians 6:15.
Jesus was the forerunner to heaven, to be followed by his bride, when Jesus comes to earth, Matthew 24:30,31, Hebrews 6:19,20, Revelation 19:7-9, 21:2-4, also tells about the conditions that will take place shortly after the Marriage of the Lamb, Jesus, and his Bride, 2Corinthians 11:2.
Notice how John talks about the Bride, at John 3:29, where he says that he is a friend of the Bridegroom, showing that John the Baptist was not part of the Bride, because He died before the way was opened to heaven for men. Had John the Baptist lived a little longer, he would have been one of the ones who go to heaven with Jesus, to be Kings and Priests over those who will be resurrected back as people who will live forever on earth, Psalms 37:29, Isaiah 45:18, Psalms 115:16.

RBBI

I consider this idea that we persist after death to be just a variation on this theme "Thou shalt not surely die". I consider it to be the first and most persistent lie perpetuated by Satan.

We see it in all ancestral spirit religions.

I bet it was the lie which Lucifer told his fellow angels which induced them to rebel against God. "You cannot die, therefore there is nothing God can do to you". To this day it is FALSELY believed that spirit beings cannot die. It is FALSELY believed that humans will burn forever in hell (because they cannot die).

If Christ never really died, then this scripture is untrue.

Mark 8:31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

If Christ died on the cross and rose immediately again as a spirit being then it was not after three days that He rose again, but INSTANTLY that He rose again.

Yet Adam didn't die at once; he lived to be well over 900 years old. And Yeshua preached to the captives for those 3 days, which means neither He nor the captives were unconscious, and then those He preached to, around 500, were raised with Him and seen of many.

What illuminates and gives light/understanding unto the soul of man is the spirit of HaShem which is what is in one on one communing with the same Spirit. When that "candle" has "gone out", it's still very much a candle, just not lit, no more information from the Spirit is happening, until He comes to set them free (going after the one sheep). Peace

iouae

Yet Adam didn't die at once; he lived to be well over 900 years old. And Yeshua preached to the captives for those 3 days, which means neither He nor the captives were unconscious, and then those He preached to, around 500, were raised with Him and seen of many.

What illuminates and gives light/understanding unto the soul of man is the spirit of HaShem which is what is in one on one communing with the same Spirit. When that "candle" has "gone out", it's still very much a candle, just not lit, no more information from the Spirit is happening, until He comes to set them free (going after the one sheep). Peace

I believe Christ was crucified Wednesday, placed in the tomb Wed sunset, spent exactly 3 days and 3 nights dead in the tomb, rose Saturday sunset, preached to the demon spirits Saturday night-Sunday morning, to be seen by the Mary's Sunday morning at sunrise, after which He ascended to heaven, returned to earth and was seen by others.

Thus Christ was dead for three days and nights totally unconscious.