Fasting from Music

SaulToPaul 2

I've listened to music pretty much all day, everyday, for years and years. I decided to fast from music this week. :singer::drum::guitar:

The results:

Mind less cluttered/less distracted
Clearer thoughts
More productive
More in tune with myself
Enhanced peacefulness

I plan to continue the fast, for the time being.

SaulToPaul 2

Psalm 46:10 - Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

Silence is a wondrous teacher.

:)

*Good for you!

:e4e:

I am convinced that sensory overload is not a good thing, especially the constant barrage of musical notes and lyrics flooding my mind through the ear gate (even if I'm not actively listening).

theophilus

:e4e:

I am convinced that sensory overload is not a good thing, especially the constant barrage of musical notes and lyrics flooding my mind through the ear gate (even if I'm not actively listening).

True that...and even when you're not actively listening your brain still registers the notes and lyrics.

Reason enough to have gospel music going into the ear-gates.

theophilus

Borrowing from Job 31:1a I have also made a covenant with my eyes regarding my television habits. I waste a lot less time on TV and no longer have a problem turning it off.

I'm still a news junkie, though.

I also have Digital Stream TV because I refuse to have an open sewage pipe draining into my living room. DS has oldies channels with no sleaze, no foul language and no blasphemy.

There's much more peace in my head.

FWIW - I've read the bits between you and John W. Those are the programs I sit and crochet in front of.

ClimateSanity

I have the opposite problem. My mind is constantly active and goes negative and destructive if left to itself. It thinks of problems that don't exist. Music, soothes my mind and puts me in touch with more constructive, creative, calming thoughts.

theophilus

I have the opposite problem. My mind is constantly active and goes negative and destructive if left to itself. It thinks of problems that don't exist. Music, soothes my mind and puts me in touch with more constructive, creative, calming thoughts.

Why don't you give Philippians 4:8-9 a try? For a week?

On a dare?

ClimateSanity

My mind will not think on those things without help. The right kind of music soothes my mind which allows it to think on those things. When I'm in " the zone" I'm a positive thinking, creative machine.....unstoppable.

Right Divider

Body part
I've listened to music pretty much all day, everyday, for years and years. I decided to fast from music this week. :singer::drum::guitar:

The results:

Clearer thoughts
More productive
More in tune with myself
Enhanced peacefulness

All day, everyday.... yes, that might be a bit much.

May I suggest a little moderation? Oh, I did. :think:

PureX

The results:

Clearer thoughts
More productive
More in tune with myself
Enhanced peacefulness

I love music, of all kinds, but I do agree that there are often times when I like to work, quietly. There is a kind of peacefulness in quiet productivity.

Also, to be honest, only certain kinds of music work well with activity. Other kinds need to be paid direct attention to, to really enjoy (jazz, and classical, for example). And given a choice, I would rather see music performed than just hear it performed. So I'm about 50/50 with music while working. But I do listen/watch musical performances regularly, for it's own sake.

It's good to change our habits occasionally, just to see what we're missing. :)

heir

TOL Subscriber

The results:

Clearer thoughts
More productive
More in tune with myself
Enhanced peacefulness

In all seriousness, I can see how this can be so beneficial. I think about the intermittent fasting and how good that is for us. This has to be a cherry on top of that!