Do you obey Jesus?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Most of the things he told the lost sheep of the house of Israel, in the first century, under the Law, I cannot obey.

I suspect that you cannot either.

But we can obey the LORD's commandments found in Paul's letters.

Again, I see no reason why not. I see no rationale for your saying you cannot or that I cannot. What prevents you from obeying Jesus? Whatever it is should be taken out of the way.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Before or after Acts 9?

I see no reason for asking this question. I can only venture that a before or after question of this kind means either you want to know what I believe or you want to justify your not keeping His commands one way or the other.

I do see reason to clarify that by His words and commands I mean what He has taught by way of instruction which includes His commands. His words can mean His commands but I have said His words and His commands. Jesus taught us many things. It may be possible to say it is all for our obedience, whether an explicit command or not.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul's letters are the commandments of the LORD also.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but this is the same argument 'rulz would make. He even said "Jesus taught grace", which must have come from a secret setting on his gospel blender.

Israel/Judaism is pre-cross

Jesus.... taught grace.

Jacob, you are saying the same nonsense as this guy did.

I can answer that I was not born a Jew but that I observe Jewish things including much of the old covenant law.

Galatians 5

3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.

ClimateSanity

I see no reason for asking this question. I can only venture that a before or after question of this kind means either you want to know what I believe or you want to justify your not keeping His commands one way or the other.

I do see reason to clarify that by His words and commands I mean what He has taught by way of instruction which includes His commands. His words can mean His commands but I have said His words and His commands. Jesus taught us many things. It may be possible to say it is all for our obedience, whether an explicit command or not.
You were never in a dispensationalist church if you can ask such a question with a straight face.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I see no reason for asking this question.

Before.

Matthew 19

16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?” 17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

After

Romans 7

9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death.

ClimateSanity

Again, I see no reason why not. I see no rationale for your saying you cannot or that I cannot. What prevents you from obeying Jesus? Whatever it is should be taken out of the way.
For one thing, Jesus was not telling people of all times and all places and all situations to obey his commands. They are not universal. That is your assumption.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have addressed elsewhere that this command of Jesus was obeyed.
Not by you.

So that is just one instance of you not obeying what Jesus said to do.

Now we His followers (disciples) are to tell people He is the Christ.
In other words, that command not to tell anyone He was the Christ was not to be obeyed by all the followers He would ever have.
You, yourself, being one that does not obey that command.

How about this one ....
Matthew 10 KJV
(8) Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Do you obey it?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jacob, you are saying the same nonsense as this guy did.
Not at all. I have no idea why you would say so.
Galatians 5

3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
This is true. If you become a Jew or an Israelite through circumcision you are to observe, obey, keep the whole law. Paul is pointing out that circumcision is not a requirement for salvation. If a person thinks getting circumcised will save them, they are wrong. Circumcision is about keeping the whole law. The one who is circumcised must keep the whole law.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Before.

Matthew 19

16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?” 17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

After

Romans 7

9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death.

Both scriptures are for you. The first one is what Jesus said. The second one is what Paul said. Jesus gave an answer to the question asked of Him. Paul thought about what he learned regarding the commandment to not covet.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
For one thing, Jesus was not telling people of all times and all places and all situations to obey his commands. They are not universal. That is your assumption.

I see no reason to take anything away from any of Jesus' commands. The question is if you and I obey them.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not at all. I have no idea why you would say so.
This is true. If you become a Jew or an Israelite through circumcision you are to observe, obey, keep the whole law. Paul is pointing out that circumcision is not a requirement for salvation. If a person thinks getting circumcised will save them, they are wrong. Circumcision is about keeping the whole law. The one who is circumcised must keep the whole law.
You do realize that women were not circumcised.
Being circumcised in the flesh was never a command that women could obey.

Likewise, the Sabbath day rest was not for everyone either.
The priests worked every day.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Not by you.
True.
So that is just one instance of you not obeying what Jesus said to do.
Incorrect. This command is to be understood by me, but it is not that it should not be obeyed or that I should not obey it, but that Jesus was commanding something at a particular time for a particular reason. Therefore, your difficulty is solved.
In other words, that command not to tell anyone He was the Christ was not to be obeyed by all the followers He would ever have.
You, yourself, being one that does not obey that command.
The problem is that you think I should be guilty for not obeying this command. It is fault finding, and a requirement not intended for me.
How about this one ....
Matthew 10 KJV
(8) Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Do you obey it?
If God gives any of His children the opportunity to obey this command they should. I see no reason to not obey this command. This is about God's power, not yours or mine.

ClimateSanity

I grew up under dispensationalism.

What difference does it make? You are claiming to have been taught dispensationalism. If you grew up under it, that claim is even stronger. Therefore, the evidence you are lying about is enormous if you can be asking questions like the one I referenced.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What difference does it make? You are claiming to have been taught dispensationalism. If you grew up under it, that claim is even stronger. Therefore, the evidence you are lying about is enormous if you can be asking questions like the one I referenced.
The question is if you obey Jesus. If being a dispensationalist prevents you from obeying Jesus you have a problem.

ClimateSanity

I see no reason to take anything away from any of Jesus' commands. The question is if you and I obey them.

Nick M asked you if it is before or after Acts 9. You stated you didn't see what difference that made. If you grew up under dispensationalism, you would be aware of what happened in Acts 9. It was the raising up of Paul. As a dispensationalist, you should understand we are no longer under the law and that we are to follow Paul as be follows Christ. Jesus's commands were in relation to the law and eternal life hinged on your obedience. We walk in the Spirit has Paul commands. If we do that, we fulfill all that Jesus intended when he gave those commands. If we try to obey specific commands with the fear of losing salvation if we don't, we are following a false gospel.