Denominations

katiecrna

Ok I know that this is a very complex topic and Christianity has a lot of denominations but as an attempt to simplify it, is it safe to say that Christians can be divided into two categories (before dividing them more), those that believe in the Protestant reformation and those that don’t?
Is It safe to say that those that don’t are some form of catholic?

If you were to create a tree diagram with Christianity in top, what would the next branch be? For me, it would be Protestant reformation vs catholic.

Reactions: Lon

Tortdog

There is a third category. For example, the LDS Church (Mormons) believe that the Catholic Church went into apostasy, but also believes that the Protestants lack authority from God for their organized denominations. Thus that Church teaches a full restoration of the priesthood was required, and not a reformation.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Right Divider

Body part
There is a third category. For example, the LDS Church (Mormons) believe that the Catholic Church went into apostasy, but also believes that the Protestants lack authority from God for their organized denominations. Thus that Church teaches a full restoration of the priesthood was required, and not a reformation.
There are a lot more categories if you are going to include all of the false "faiths" that call themselves "Christian".

katiecrna

Is priesthood biblical?

IMO the Bible does a good job explaining what was wrong with the church during that time, as well as gives a good foundation on how we should act and how to please God and what pleases God and what displeases God, but doesn’t do a good job at forming a structured church if that makes sense.
It mentions church leaders and religious leaders but doesn’t talk about who these people are, the rules that apply to them (get married etc), how to become them.
It mostly criticizes the current “fake” and “pretentious” religious leaders.

So I guess where I am stuck is... where did priesthood come from? I mean I get that it’s kind of always been there, but is it biblical? In my head these old priests were so ostentatious and showy, not to be disrespectful but they like “above” people, wearing these crazy rich outfits and that’s exactly the opposite of how Jesus said we should be.

Tortdog

Is priesthood biblical?

IMO the Bible does a good job explaining what was wrong with the church during that time, as well as gives a good foundation on how we should act and how to please God and what pleases God and what displeases God, but doesn’t do a good job at forming a structured church if that makes sense.
It mentions church leaders and religious leaders but doesn’t talk about who these people are, the rules that apply to them (get married etc), how to become them.
It mostly criticizes the current “fake” and “pretentious” religious leaders.

So I guess where I am stuck is... where did priesthood come from? I mean I get that it’s kind of always been there, but is it biblical? In my head these old priests were so ostentatious and showy, not to be disrespectful but they like “above” people, wearing these crazy rich outfits and that’s exactly the opposite of how Jesus said we should be.
There was priesthood in the new and different testaments. You do not see it mentioned when Christ called his disciples, at least not explicitly. But Christ does recognize the priesthood leaders. And he condemned many of them.

Tortdog

There was priesthood in the new and different testaments. You do not see it mentioned when Christ called his disciples, at least not explicitly. But Christ does recognize the priesthood leaders. And he condemned many of them.

Can't figure out how to edit on this app, but means old and new testaments.

Tortdog

Or maybe it was such a no brainer that it was assumed you did not need to explain that the sun rises in the East.

I presume you believe that the Jews held and used the priesthood during the time of Christ?

And do you suggest that the Catholic Church got it wrong from the beginning in using the priesthood as well?

katiecrna

I guess I don’t understand how the Catholic Church is still around. Comparing the Catholic Church to the Bible its like such an experience because I don’t know where the Catholic Church gets their beliefs. Like priests can’t marry. Like we need to ask someone to ask God to forgive our sins. The rosary. And where are all these saints in the Bible? And why are we praying to them? And who says the pope has all this authority?

I totally understand Martin Luther’s conflict. I just don’t understand why people today are still catholic.

Tortdog

I guess I don’t understand how the Catholic Church is still around. Comparing the Catholic Church to the Bible its like such an experience because I don’t know where the Catholic Church gets their beliefs. Like priests can’t marry. Like we need to ask someone to ask God to forgive our sins. The rosary. And where are all these saints in the Bible? And why are we praying to them? And who says the pope has all this authority?

I totally understand Martin Luther’s conflict. I just don’t understand why people today are still catholic.
If you go back and study the origin of these traditions, it is actually quite interesting and grounded, I feel, on genuine beliefs of what God wanted.

katiecrna

Or maybe it was such a no brainer that it was assumed you did not need to explain that the sun rises in the East.

I presume you believe that the Jews held and used the priesthood during the time of Christ?

And do you suggest that the Catholic Church got it wrong from the beginning in using the priesthood as well?

I understand what your saying. It seems like it was always there and obviously it’s the way it was always done. But It was criticized in the Bible. Like what does priesthood look like? I think my point is that it shouldn’t look like the pope, according to the Bible.

Right Divider

Body part

God gave Israel a priesthood.

The church which is His body does not have a priesthood or Paul would have mentioned it.

Tortdog

I understand what your saying. It seems like it was always there and obviously it’s the way it was always done. But It was criticized in the Bible. Like what does priesthood look like? I think my point is that it shouldn’t look like the pope, according to the Bible.
I think that is fair. I do think that the current pope acts more like I would expect Christ to act, not talking about doctrinal teachings but being more like a common man without the trappings of a rich king.

oatmeal

Ok I know that this is a very complex topic and Christianity has a lot of denominations but as an attempt to simplify it, is it safe to say that Christians can be divided into two categories (before dividing them more), those that believe in the Protestant reformation and those that don’t?
Is It safe to say that those that don’t are some form of catholic?

If you were to create a tree diagram with Christianity in top, what would the next branch be? For me, it would be Protestant reformation vs catholic.

Paul was being plagued by fellow Christians who were still zealous for the law.

Before that, Peter and the apostles were being harassed by the religious leaders of the day.