Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross Reference

But I couldn't "choose" to believe it regardless. I accept things that are well established through sound evidence, which is not the same as "choosing" to believe. Or do you think acceptance is the same as belief.

I'm a sceptic to the core and that's not something I have chosen. It is not a belief system IMO.
Question: If you knew God's will, would you do it?

Hawkins

But I couldn't "choose" to believe it regardless. I accept things that are well established through sound evidence, which is not the same as "choosing" to believe. Or do you think acceptance is the same as belief.

I'm a sceptic to the core and that's not something I have chosen. It is not a belief system IMO.

As a matter of fact, you choose to believe things on a daily basis without evidence. Such as almost every piece of daily news from newspaper, such as the existence of black holes... You are never yourself an evidence acquirer. So don't as if you are one, that's stupid.

Cross Reference

I have no reason to believe there is any such thing as God

That wasn't my question, was it? I asked if you knew God's will would to do it.. By the tiny prep "IF" in my wording assumes Gods existence otherwise the question is pointless because if there is no God then you are your own god that has inadvertently given his will over another power that will readily accommodate you in any of your whims and fancies. Of course you have no reason to acknowledge him either.

Moving on

alwight

I'm irrational? That's rather rich since you are the one who apparently knows that some guy called Paul, a self proclaimed "servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God", actually knew the mind of God.
Like there haven't been a few more like him in all the years since using the supposed power of God for their own ends. :rolleyes:
Their own ends?? You mean as you reject God for your own ends?
Well, if I have actually "rejected" your God then I only do so along with all other presumed human deities, I have simply "rejected" only one more god than you have it seems.
Have you rejected Zeus?
You didn't say what special credibility has this Paul got that enables him to confirm God's word for you?

Cross Reference

Well, if I have actually "rejected" your God then I only do so along with all other presumed human deities, I have simply "rejected" only one more god than you have it seems.
Have you rejected Zeus?
You didn't say what special credibility has this Paul got that enables him to confirm God's word for you?

Sorry if I sound rude but, you no have basis for understanding __ anything. Why should anyone bother feeding you, what can only seem to you as being fodder because it has no meaning for you to grasp the issues of life, for you to crow over?

alwight

As a matter of fact, you choose to believe things on a daily basis without evidence. Such as almost every piece of daily news from newspaper, such as the existence of black holes... You are never yourself an evidence acquirer. So don't as if you are one, that's stupid.
I don't see much wrong with presuming that credible news sources are reasonably true or that black holes are likely to be true.
I'm not really sure that "belief" is actually required.
I don't particularly need to believe in black holes, I only need to accept that a reasonable and rational scientific conclusion says they do, so I can presume it is so.

Hawkins

I don't see much wrong with presuming that credible news sources are reasonably true or that black holes are likely to be true.
I'm not really sure that "belief" is actually required.
I don't particularly need to believe in black holes, I only need to accept that a reasonable and rational scientific conclusion says they do, so I can presume it is so.

Or rather you trust others (humans such as reporters or scientists) have the evidence. That's the nature of human witnessing. Humans reach a truth by means of human witnessing. You evaluate the credibility of the human source instead of examining the evidence.

That's the point.

You can choose of accept or reject (i.e., black hole) especially when it's something doesn't concern your life. If credible source says that there's a bomb near your house, you will run without waiting for any evidence. Well, that's what the gospel is for.

alwight

Sorry if I sound rude but, you no have basis for understanding __ anything. Why should anyone bother feeding you, what can only seem to you as being fodder because it has no meaning for you to grasp the issues of life, for you to crow over?
It seems you really don't have a rational thought in your head, just mindless adherence to an ancient scripture, quite sad really. :(

Hedshaker

What is really stupid, as a matter of fact, is people assuming to know my mind better than I do. It must be hard for you to accept but not everyone thinks like you. There are things I take for granted, like everyone, but that is not what the discussion was about.

Here's a test for you, see if you can "choose" to believe in leprechauns. Give it a good try and see how you get on. Can you "choose" to believe in a different deity than the one you subscribe to at present?

And no, I don't just believe every piece of daily news I hear, nor do I care for much of it. I accept the consensus of science regarding black holes unless new evidence comes to light but that is not what I would call a "chosen belief" in context of what we were talking about.

Please speak for yourself, thanks :thumb:

alwight

Or rather you trust others (humans such as reporters or scientists) have the evidence. That's the nature of human witnessing. Humans reach a truth by means of human witnessing. You evaluate the credibility of the human source instead of examining the evidence.

That's the point.

You can choose of accept or reject (i.e., black hole) especially when it's something doesn't concern your life. If credible source says that there's a bomb near your house, you will run without waiting for any evidence. Well, that's what the gospel is for.
Yes I tend to trust (believe?) first hand eye witness accounts on the news from reputable sources, so shoot me.
I'll trust those directly involved to know more than I do.
However I don't trust third hand hearsay reports without any evidence to support it that I could check out on my own if I felt the need to verify it.
If there are conflicting versions then how would you believe one over the other?
Special claims require special evidence.
Why should I believe one religious claim over another, they will all have those who "witnesses" evidence-free for them?
What exactly have they actually witnessed?
Just give me some hard evidence. :plain:

Hedshaker

That wasn't my question, was it? I asked if you knew God's will would to do it.. By the tiny prep "IF" in my wording assumes Gods existence otherwise the question is pointless because if there is no God then you are your own god that has inadvertently given his will over another power that will readily accommodate you in any of your whims and fancies. Of course you have no reason to acknowledge him either.

Moving on

So you want me to assume your God exists for the sake of argument? That being the case then the answer is no. I'm with Christopher Hitchens on that one:

Antitheist Anthem

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Naah, good folk in Christ are only saying they know what lies behind your thinking. God gives such insight when one seeks Him to know Him.

Really, if I seek to know your particular deity I will have great insight into other's minds? Wow.
But apparently you need to be a member of the Club to get that insight, huh?

Cross Reference

Really, if I seek to know your particular deity I will have great insight into other's minds? Wow.
But apparently you need to be a member of the Club to get that insight, huh?
Did I say that? I didn't know I said. I think you need to read my words again, for the first time, bunky.

Interplanner

So you want me to assume your God exists for the sake of argument? That being the case then the answer is no. I'm with Christopher Hitchens on that one:

Antitheist Anthem
[/QUO

The only honest minds out there are the ones that completely follow out the assumptions of the counterarguments.

One of the most recent and very clear examples of this is not from creation v evolution but re homosexuality by Mrs. Rosario:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112270

Status
Not open for further replies.