Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel1611

So why would the KJV use a name of a creature that was already well associated with a mythical beast?
Why not say a "one horned beast" instead?

What do you mean "well associated with a mythological beast?". The 1828 Webster's dictionary (the first one printed) defines a unicorn as a one horned animal or rhinoceros . Just because we use it to mean a pony with a white horn doesn't mean they did back then. They used the appropriate word in the KJV.

Jose Fly

Hey Jose.... If you read the thread I suggested, you will know Stripe and I agree but use different terms.
(Thread is "Rapid Adaptation")

Nope. Stripe says no population ever evolves, speciation never happens, and natural selection isn't real.

You say populations evolve, speciation happens, and natural selection is real.

Those aren't merely semantic differences.

alwight

What do you mean "well associated with a mythological beast?". The 1828 Webster's dictionary (the first one printed) defines a unicorn as a one horned animal or rhinoceros . Just because we use it to mean a pony with a white horn doesn't mean they did back then. They used the appropriate word in the KJV.
The picture I showed was from 1602, a unicorn of its day.
IIRC Rhinos have two horns but both in the middle.

rhino6.jpg

Daniel1611

The picture I showed was from 1602, a unicorn of its day.
IIRC Rhinos have two horns but both in the middle.

rhino6.jpg

It doesn't matter if it has two horns. The oldest dictionary, closer to 1611 than any other, says it means rhinoceros. Scientists now say octopi have 6 arms. It's still an octopus

alwight

It doesn't matter if it has two horns. The oldest dictionary, closer to 1611 than any other, says it means rhinoceros. Scientists now say octopi have 6 arms. It's still an octopus
Who cares what a 19th century dictionary said? Clearly that picture shows what people thought a unicorn looked like shortly before the KJV came out.
You should choose a different Bible perhaps, since the KJV does not seem so divinely inspired if you ask me?

Daniel1611

Who cares what a 19th century dictionary said? Clearly that picture shows what people thought a unicorn looked like shortly before the KJV came out.
You should choose a different Bible perhaps, since the KJV does not seem so divinely inspired if you ask me?

KJV meant a horned animal so it used a word that means a horned animal. Why would they use a word for an animal they know doesn't exist??????????? Grasping at straws to try to hurt the KJV. It has stood for centuries and will continue to do so.

6days

I assert that no one has observed speciation. Instead of showing me observed speciation, he shows me variation within a species. If speciation has been observed, prove it! You know that no one has ever observed speciation. Why would I listen to some fools that say it happens but have no proof.
No one has ever observed one kind of animal become a different kind. But we do observe animals change / adapt to various environments because of the genetic information God programmed into them.
Daniel... keep in mind that the word 'speciation' is a word that is stretchy like a rubber band for evolutionists. There is no definite agreement on the meaning...although generally it means a population has divided and no longer breeds with each other. There is no hard and fast rule.

ALSO..... keep in mind, that no matter if we use that term or not...We can praise our Creator for the diversity and beauty of His creation.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
That was the word they chose. Unicorn means a horned animal.

Not quite.

unicorn (n.)
early 13c., from Old French unicorne, from Late Latin unicornus (Vulgate), from noun use of Latin unicornis (adj.) "having one horn," from uni- "one" (see uni-) + cornus "horn," from PIE *ker- (1) "horn; head, uppermost part of the body" (see horn (n.)).

The Late Latin word translates Greek monoceros, itself rendering Hebrew re'em (Deut. xxxiii.17 and elsewhere), which probably was a kind of wild ox. According to Pliny, a creature with a horse's body, deer's head, elephant's feet, lion's tail, and one black horn two cubits long projecting from its forehead. Compare German Einhorn, Welsh ungorn, Breton uncorn, Old Church Slavonic ino-rogu.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=unicorn

Given the typical depicted shape of the unicorn, it the medieval conception seems to have been influenced by the single long tusk of narwhals.

alwight

KJV meant a horned animal so it used a word that means a horned animal. Why would they use a word for an animal they know doesn't exist??????????? Grasping at straws to try to hurt the KJV. It has stood for centuries and will continue to do so.
Uni means one not two. I'm just showing you that the KJV was written by fallible men probably without any divine intervention at all. :)

Unicorn :"from Latin, having one horn"

alwight

So what? They knew what it meant so it is the word they wanted. This is way off the topic of the foolish evolutionary theory.
Yes, I was fed up with creationist bald assertions that speciation has not been observed when it has.

However ring species demonstrate that speciation is happening right now.
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/ridley/a-z/Ring_species.asp

Endogenous retrovirus show beyond doubt that humans share a common ancestry with other apes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endogenous_retrovirus

On topic again? :thumb:

DavisBJ

You missed the word "other" from what I said. The more highly adapted they become, the more genetic variation gets lost. Generally, the more genetic variation within a population, the more fit that population is considered.*

"Negative frequency dependant selection) is one of the few forms of natural selection that can act to preserve genetic variation,[/b]*most forms of natural selection lead to the loss of genetic variation*as unfit alleles are "weeded out" of the population.
http://www.uic.edu/classes/bios/bios101/Selexio.htm
In your response you are saying the antibiotic resistant strain are less fit, and you allude to the original population as the “other” bacteria who have not been genetically compromised and have therefore not become resistant to the antibiotic. But if the original (aka “other”) bacteria are not resistant to the antibiotic, in the second year, what population will a new antibiotic be targeted against? We already have an effective antibiotic against the original “other” bacteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.