Creation vs. Evolution II

redfern

I said:

you rely on the simplistic idea that constantly adding VSDMs every generation means they will lead to extinction.

6days responded:

That is the evidence.
Geneticists agree.

To support his contention that accumulating mutations will inexorably lead to extinction, 6days provides quotes from several papers authored by prominent mainstream scientists.

Before examining the quotes 6days provides, I want to note that I have tried to get 6days to actually read the papers he quotes from. I realize that would entail actually chasing down where the papers can be accessed. Accessing some of the papers on-line may require a fee if you do not already have a subscription to the journal the paper was published in. I suspect most universities who offer courses in genetics will already have the journals archived in their libraries, and the articles can be copied for a minimal cost. However, I can’t see that 6days has any interest in or intention of doing more than mindlessly passing on whatever quotes he finds to his liking in creationist literature. He usually provides no links to the articles the quotes come from, and seldom presents quotes that are not readily available from creationist sources.

Of particular relevance here is a book from a creationist named John Sanford. I have Sanford’s book, and I have strong suspicions that 6days does too. Sanford’s book can best be described a Bible of quote mines extracted from scientific papers dealing with genetics. But if 6days is going to continue to rely on second-hand sources for his quotes, he has to be willing to man up and take responsibility when they turn out to be fallacious.

To show that “geneticists agree” that accumulating slightly deleterious mutations will lead to extinction, 6days offers this quote from J. V. Neel.

The question of how our species accommodates such mutation rates is central to evolutionary thought

(Not unexpectedly, this exact quote from Neel is in the tome of quote mines from Sanford.)

J. V. Neel was a prominent early American Geneticist, and responsible for establishing a department of genetics at the University of Michigan. (Incidentally, years ago I spent several days accompanying a patient who underwent a rare and serious surgery for a genetic problem. That surgery (successful) was performed in the hospital in Ann Arbor that is co-located with and affiliated with the department that Neel was the head of.)

Neel was part of a US team that did one of the first in-depth studies of the effects of the Hiroshima bomb on Japanese children born after WW II.

The paper by J. V. Neel that 6day’s quote comes from was published in 1985 and is titled:

The rate with which spontaneous mutation alters the electrophoretic mobility of polypeptides

And can be accessed through

Now if 6days had actually read the paper he might have seen this relevant information near the front:

In a previous report in these PROCEEDINGS we have described the protocol and the preliminary results of a search for mutations altering the electrophoretic behavior of a series of proteins, in children of atomic bomb survivors and a suitable group of control children (1). This study has now been completed. In the present report we describe the spontaneous mutation rate observed in the so-called control children of that study-i.e., children both of whose parents were more than 2500 meters from the hypocenter at the time of the bombings or one of whose parents was at this distance and the other was not in the city.

… Altogether, 10,609 children of distally exposed parents living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki have been examined with respect to the occurrence of rare electrophoretic variants​

Neel’s paper was specifically focused on studying genetic mutations in children born to atomic bomb survivors. When Neel speaks of our species accommodating “such mutation rates”, the rates he is speaking of are the rates of mutations of people exposed to atomic bomb radiation, not to the accumulation of VSDMs. (Creationists can’t read.)

The next scientists that 6days quotes from (again found in Sanford’s book) are geneticists Kevin Higgins and Michael Lynch, at the U of Oregon, in a 2000 paper titled “Metapopulation extinction caused by mutation accumulation”, direct link to free PDF copy is here: http://www.pnas.org/content/98/5/2928.full.pdf.

we find the accumulation of new mildly deleterious mutations fundamentally alters the scaling of extinction time.

Let’s start by looking at the abstract the authors provided to their paper. In the abstract, they are a bit less absolutist than 6days, when they say

… we show that metapopulation structure, habitat loss or fragmentation, and environmental stochasticity can be expected to greatly accelerate the accumulation of mildly deleterious mutations, lowering the genetic effective size to such a degree that even large metapopulations may be at risk of extinction. Because of mutation accumulation, viable metapopulations may need to be far larger and better connected than would be required under just stochastic demography.​

Scattered throughout the article itself you will see a number of caveats to extinction (but for some reason those statements didn’t get selected for inclusion in Sanford’s book). I recommend those who honestly want some first-hand familiarity with the article take the time to go through it. A modest comfort level with mathematics and technical terms will be needed if you want to get into the core ideas of the article.

Now I will skip to the last sentence Higgins and Lynch close with, and see how well it comports with 6day’s claim that these authors agree that accumulating slightly deleterious mutations will lead to extinction. They are summarizing extinction due to what they call “habitat fragmentation”:

…there might be sufficient time for habitat remediation that would presumably restore efficient selection against deleterious mutations.​

Now moving on to 6days’ next attempt to portray geneticists as seeing extinction as a certainty, we find him again turning to Sanford’s quote mine book and misrepresenting Dr. James F. Crow, who was a geneticist at the U of Wisconsin. Dr. Crow’s article is available at http://www.pnas.org/content/94/16/8380.full.

Here is what 6days quotes from Crow on mutation rates:

It seems clear that for the past few centuries harmful mutations have been accumulating...The decrease in viability from mutation accumulation is some 1-2% per generation.

The ellipses in the middle of the quote are where Sanford (and 6days) omit some interesting text (though I doubt 6days knew what that omitted text said). Here is the full quote with the excised text in bold:

It seems clear that for the past few centuries harmful mutations have been accumulating. Why don’t we notice this? If we are like Drosophila, the decrease in viability from mutation accumulation is some 1 or 2% per generation.​

Notice how 6day’s and Sanford’s omission turns Crow’s suggestion about mutation rates in fruit flies into a factual declaration about mutation rates in humans.

Beyond what 6days presented from Crow’s article, here are a couple of relevant passages in the article that I see:

recessive mutations may persist for thousands of generations.​

How well does that comport with 6days assertion that we are limited to “about 200 generations of mutations”?

Crow also says:

Natural selection, acting in a way that seems reasonable for both fly and human populations can indeed pick off several mutations at once.​

Of significant relevance to 6days using Sanford’s quotes from Crow’s paper is that almost a decade ago, shortly after Sanford’s book went to press, a fellow name Dean Anderson contacted Dr. Crow regarding his quotes being used in Sanford’s book. Here is Dr. Crow’s reply to Dean Anderson:

Dear Dean Anderson,

Here are my point-by-point comments on the comments of the Young Earth Creationist,

Harmful mutations occur every generation, but are eliminated by natural selection. Although most mutations are harmful, some are favorable and these are retained and increased by natural selection. This has been going on for billions of years.

I suggested in the article that in recent years, as a result of environmental improvement, the effect of natural selection was diminished. If this is correct, there are probably more harmful mutations in the population than there were a thousand or so years ago. The reason we don’t notice this is because we have greatly improved living conditions so that mutations that would have been harmful at an earlier time are much less so now.

If my conjecture is correct, our ancestors of a few hundred to a few thousand years ago would have had more mutations than we do. This does not mean that they were stronger, fitter, or more fertile. They lived in a time of great environmental stress and would have been less strong, less fit, and less fertile than we are, thanks to the fact that our life is a lot easier than that of our ancestors.

My comments had to do with only the recent past (a few thousand years). In the long run, harmful mutations are eliminated by natural selection. Both mutations and natural selection have been going on since life began, billions of years ago.

My work (and my conjecture) offer no support for the Genesis account.

They are entirely consistent with the neo-Darwinian theory.

I hope this is useful. I would welcome your comments.

Sincerely, James F. Crow​

If 6days continues to represent Crow as saying a trend towards extinction due to mutation accumulation is support for Genesis, then 6days is jettisoning any pretense that truth matters to him. A final note on Crow’s paper – it was actually the result of a talk that Crow gave, and so is largely free of mathematics and advanced terminology. It is one of the best papers I have seen that provides some fascinating insights into genetic and mutations, while keeping the presentation at a level that an average person with a modest scientific background can grasp.

(And Crow made mention of some specific studies in the paper that stopped me dead in my tracks. Why I was so impacted is for some other time.)

If 6days responds to this post with a new collection of quotes, I would ask that he show that he has actually read the articles, and provides links to where they can be accessed.

In his response to my prior post, 6days elected to simply ignore a number of points I raised in it. Prior experience has shown that he will simply disregard responding on subjects that he has already found he was wrong on. Inasmuch as I have no control over what subject he will engage, I am thinking of compiling and posting a moderately definitive list of arguments that he has chosen to run away from.

Last edited:

redfern

Well. amino acids are not life....and not even close.
Also..."Organic chemist …..

My response to Rosenritter was in regards to his assertion that:

… there are more powerful forces at work breaking down much faster than any that by chance might build up.

The entirety of my response was trying to get clarity from Rosenritter on how these relatively complex organic structures called amino acids could have built up, if his “breaking down faster” assertion was true. I was making no claim that those amino acids were involved in the genesis of life. Care to try again, and respond to what I actually said, and avoid the strawman this time?

6days

redfern said:
The paper by J. V. Neel that 6day’s quote comes from was ....
Now if 6days had actually read the paper he might have seen....
CONTEXT CONTEXT CONTEXT Redfern.
Here it is...
REDFERN: " Again you rely on the simplistic idea that constantly adding VSDMs (slightly deleterious mutations)*every generation means they will lead to extinction."
6DAYS:* "That is why they (evolutionists)propose "POSSIBLE RESOLUTIONS". J.V.Neel said "The question of how our species accommodates such mutation rates is central to evolutionary thought".**

redfern said:
6days said:
(Geneticists say things such as)
"we find the accumulation of new mildly deleterious mutations fundamentally alters the scaling of extinction time."
Let’s start by looking at the abstract the authors provided to their paper....
...Now I will skip to the last sentence Higgins and Lynch close with, and see how well it comports with 6day’s claim that these authors agree that accumulating slightly deleterious mutations will lead to extinction. They are summarizing extinction due to what they call “habitat fragmentation”... "…there might be sufficient time for habitat remediation that would presumably restore efficient selection against deleterious mutations."
Yes..... And?
They note the problem....the accumulation of new mildly deleterious mutations. They then propose POSSIBLE RESOLUTIONS.
redfern said:
Now moving on to 6days’ next attempt to portray geneticists as seeing extinction as a certainty, we find him again turning to Sanford’s quote mine book and misrepresenting Dr. James F. Crow, who was a geneticist at the U of Wisconsin. Dr. Crow’s article is available at http://www.pnas.org/content/94/16/8380.full.
Here is what 6days quotes from Crow on mutation rates:
"It seems clear that for the past few centuries harmful mutations have been accumulating...The decrease in viability from mutation accumulation is some 1-2% per generation."
Here is the full quote ..."It seems clear that for the past few centuries harmful mutations have been accumulating. Why don’t we notice this? If we are like Drosophila, the decrease in viability from mutation accumulation is some 1 or 2% per generation.
Notice how 6day’s and Sanford’s omission turns Crow’s suggestion about mutation rates in fruit flies into a factual declaration about mutation rates in humans.
Again...Crow notes the problem, "harmful mutations have been accumulating". He then proposes POSSIBLE RESOLUTIONS, such as selection acting on multiple mutations at same time.
redfern said:
( Crow says) "recessive mutations may persist for thousands of generations."
How well does that comport with 6days assertion that we are limited to “about 200 generations of mutations”?
Perhaps in fruit flies a recessive MIGHT last that long. But fruit flies have a few hundred 'kids'. The problem is in humans with the low reproductive rate. That point is mentioned by almost every geneticist trying to RESOLVE the PARADOX. (How humans have survived evolutionary time lines)
redfern said:
Here is Dr. Crow’s reply .....
Harmful mutations occur every generation, but are eliminated by natural selection....
If my conjecture is correct,.....
Haaaaa*...... Well, Crow was trying to save face with a fellow evolutionist.* It's hard to know what he meant by a harmful mutation. Yes...if a mutation is deadly enough, it is eliminated by selection.* But, as we discussed before, selection is incapable of removing*even 3 deleterious mutations added with each new generation.
redfern said:
In his response to my prior post, 6days elected to simply ignore a number of points I raised in it.
Yes...I did.* I said that I thought I had replied to comments of yours with meaningful content, and asked you to repost anything I missed that you thought was a good point.

Greg Jennings

Abiogenesis is the belief that natural processes under the right conditions, life can arise 'spontaneously' from non-living matter. Evolutionists spend millions of dollars looking for evidence in space.....and in labs, trying to find evidence that supports their beliefs, of life from non life. For example...."University of Minnesota researchers unveil first artificial enzyme created by evolution in a test tube"
http://phys.org/news/2013-01-unveil-artificial-enzyme-evolution-tube.html
Isn't this artificial enzyme actually a creation of intelligent designers?

But you're making it sound like some simple process. Like one day there was nothing and then.....POOF! An amoeba appeared. That's just wrong.

We know that amino acids assemble under certain conditions, and we know that they can assemble into proteins in the conditions of a theorized early Earth atmosphere. It is hypothesized that highly simplistic forms of life that would reproduce via budding could arise in this situation.

Greg Jennings

"Million and millions of years" is the answer to everything for evolutionists. The cliffs though are mostly pure chalk, and evidence for rapid deposition. How would a sponge get slowly fossilized over the course of millions of years? Fossilization usually requires specific conditions, including rapid burial.
" larger inhabitants of the chalk sea such as sponges, shells, ammonites and urchins." http://www.dovermuseum.co.uk/Information-Resources/Articles--Factsheets/White-Cliffs-of-Dover.aspx

So I ask again, how could the tests of marine microorganisms possibly accumulate to such a height in less than 6000 years?

Master of dodging, you are

Greg Jennings

Yes... 'somebody' does say that. (Theistic evolutionists)
However God tells us He spoke creation into existence. He created man distinct from animals, and woman from man's rib. Genesis 1&2

And logic and science tell us that's baloney (or more accurately, an ancient interpretation of processes they could not possibly comprehend)

6days

We know that amino acids assemble under certain conditions, and we know that they can assemble into proteins in the conditions of a theorized early Earth atmosphere. It is hypothesized that highly simplistic forms of life that would reproduce via budding could arise in this situation.
Evolutionists always try make it seem like a simple thing. Yet, they don't have a clue how life began. They propose life began in no oxygen...or in high oxygen. They propose deep sea vents...or between sheets of mica...or in space...ETC.
“Pssst! Don’t Tell the Creationists, but Scientists Don’t Have a Clue How Life Began”, is an article in the Feb 2011 Scientific American. John Horgan actually wrote the article 20 years ago but the editor at the time wouldn't print it. That 20 years have past and for the article still to be relevant speaks as to how false evolutionary theory, (and the origins of life) really is.

Horgan explains that the problem is life can't spontaneously arise from non living chemicals. Life does not and cannot spontaneously generate from non-living chemicals. He goes on to say, ": “DNA can make neither proteins nor copies of itself without the help of catalytic proteins called enzymes. This fact turned the origin of life into a classic chicken-or-egg puzzle: Which came first, proteins or DNA?”. Horgan then alluded to outlandish claims made by Richard Dawkins and others who said that life on earth may have been seeded here by aliens. Of the alien "theory", Horgan says that serves to “push the problem of life’s origin into outer space. If life didn’t begin here, how did it begin out there?"

Horgan is exactly right when he says that scientists (read that “evolutionary scientists”) do not have a clue how life began. (There are thousands of creationist scientists who do have a clue). That being the case, the only truly “scientific” idea left would be to follow the evidence where it leads—to an intelligent, supernatural creator.

"In the beginning, God created

6days

And logic and science tell us that's baloney (or more accurately, an ancient interpretation of processes they could not possibly comprehend)
Not sure how that relates to your argument..."Nobody said that God couldn't be creating THROUGH evolution."
God's Word tells us He didn't create that way. Logic and science help confirm the truth of His Word.

redfern

Yes...Rosenritter understands the difference between time and distance.
Rosenritter may be right on this light-year question. You may recall a couple of weeks ago Rosenritter suggested that God might have created the starlight in-transit, so that starlight from that 100 million LY exploding star gcthomas saw was actually just make believe. Sort of like God not really creating all the stars He brags about, but just a celestial movie of what it would have looked like if He really had gone to all that bother.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Michael, some questions for you:

1) Was Jacob ever commanded to observe a Sabbath day?
2) Was any Pharaoh ever commanded to observe a Sabbath day?
3) Was any (New Testament) Gentile ever commanded to observe a Sabbath day?

Romans 14:5 KJV
(5) One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Colossians 2:16 KJV
(16) Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

4) Do you ever eat grapes or raisins? or cut your hair? Aren't these clear violations of the commandments in Numbers 6? Or do you say that these commandments do not apply to you (and thus you acknowledge the concept of jurisdiction?)

5) If you're going to attempt to live as a Jew, are you being consistent and obeying all the laws that applied to Jews? None of these laws were ever modified. Do you make animal sacrifices, abstain from certain meats, and purge your home of leaven once a year?

Galatians 5:2-3 KJV
(2) Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
(3) For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

The law of Moses wasn't such that you got to pick and choose which parts were convenient. You can't choose to observe weekly Sabbaths and then despise the annual Sabbaths, for example. Are you observing the annual Sabbaths?

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear Rosen,

I'm sure that Jacob observed the Sabbath, because he was brought up with the Ten Commandments. I wouldn't suppose that Pharaoh kept it though. Yes, I observe Passover and I make my own homemade Matzoh Bread. Much better than Manischewitz. But I still get some each year in case I run out of homemade. And I have my Gefilte Fish, etc.

I don't try to live like a Jewish person. I instead keep Passover, not Rosh Hoshanah. I celebrate Christmas. In the Spring, I keep the holiday of Easter. That's all.

Nice to hear from you again!! It's been too long!

Praise The Lord, Exceedingly,

Michael

gcthomas

The cliffs though are mostly pure chalk, and evidence for rapid deposition.

So the chalk cliffs are mostly pure chalk? Genius.

So, rapid deposition of what exactly, and where did it come from in such huge quantities?

Your specious flood geology link fails to suggest where all this calcium carbonate that the organisms incorporated into their shells actually came from - a great big gap in the claim, don't you think?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Evolution is counter intuitive to the very flow of creation and interpretation of Genesis.

The only reason the Catholic Church accepted it is because it would have caused them problems if they didn't. They rightly don't have enough faith in their laity to dismiss evolutionist nonsense, or the time and manpower to debate with people who will perpetually argue the same things forever.

If I had a nickel for every rehashed thing I've heard from evolutionists/atheists/wannabe know-it-alls, I would bankrupt Fort Knox.

That's why I don't really talk about it much anymore- this subject is something I mostly just avoid for the waste of time that it is :rolleyes:

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Michael, I am not saying that your story did not happen, but you don't have tangible evidence that you can use to show me that it absolutely happened either. If I could see an EKG of your heart during these times, then see the moment that God changed it on the EKG, then THAT would be tangible evidence.

That's the difference between what you and 6days believe (in terms of evolution) and what I believe: I follow the evidence to wherever that may lead. 6days starts with a supposition that, to him, is unquestionably true (despite lacking evidence) then he looks to find anything that will fit into his chosen supposition and disregards anything contrary

Dear GregJ,

I met a New York Daily News reporter back when I lived in NYC, and he didn't believe that God was with me either. I was pretty upset about that. So the Lord told me to tell the reporter that He would send 7 inches of snow upon his Daily News Building within 48 hours of him receiving my letter so that he would know that God was with me. That was his reassurance. Well, the snow started in the morning and by evening, 7 inches of snow fell, and this reporter was scared and frantic. My girlfriend said the phone had been ringing constantly with some New York reporter while I was at work. I worked for ABC-TV at that time in the Accounting Comptrollers Dept. Anyways, I went to call him and the phone rang first and it was him again. He said don't pray for him anymore about sending a sign to know that God was with me. And he also asked me what did I want and I told him I'd like a 3-hour interview. Well, he agreed, and we got together to discuss the matter. He ended up being of no help and said that I would have to talk to the owner of the paper. I figured heck with it. Anyway, I have a copy of the letter I wrote to the reporter about the 7 inches of snow falling to prove that God was with me. I'm thinking that they just didn't want to write a story about Armageddon clobbering the Earth. I also have a copy of the 7 inches of snow falling from the New York Post paper. It all proves that God is with me in all of this. God showed me how people react, even when they are given a sign from God. It was appalling, to say the least. I got the letter I wrote to the reporter and it is on ABC-TV's stationery. If you want me to send you copies of this then PM me with an address and I'll be happy to send them to you. I come with proof.

God's Blessings Upon All Of Your Family and Friends,

Michael

redfern

gcthomas posed the question:
… how come all the multiple radio dating methods show the Earth is over four billion years old?
And gct responded to another post on the same subject with:
What sort of false readings would systematically give all the various independent methods the same great age?
RR dissed this with:
It's very easy when you come up with the answer you want before you do the calculations.
My question to RR – you think that might be what happened last year with Andrew Snelling when he put a paper at AIG titled: Radioisotope Dating of Meteorites? I ask because he says things like:

Meteorites date the earth with a 4.55 ± 0.07 Ga Pb-Pb isochron called the geochron. They appear to consistently yield 4.55–4.57 Ga radioisotope ages …

many isochron ages of groups of these meteorites … strongly cluster … 4.55–4.57 Ga…

These ages are often confirmed by Rb-Sr, Lu-Hf, Re-Os, and Sm-Nd isochron ages …

This is not as expected <from a YEC perspective>, yet it is the same for all meteorites so far studied.

Many meteorites appear to consistently date to around the same “age”… bolstering the evolutionary community’s confidence that they have successfully dated the age of the earth and the solar system at around 4.56 Ga.​

(The article goes on and repeats this same conclusion several times more)

Dozens of the scientists that were involved are mentioned by name, and Snelling says he extensively verified their data.

Whass goin on, when a technically qualified YEC claims that the data strongly and quite consistently says meteorites are billions of years old? Is he complicit in falsifying calculations too?

6days

Rosenritter may be right on this light-year question. You may recall a couple of weeks ago Rosenritter suggested that God might have created the starlight in-transit, so that starlight from that 100 million LY exploding star gcthomas saw was actually just make believe.
Distance and time are two different things. How God brought distant starlight to earth may be answered within the Bible. How long did it take God to spread the stars? Don't you think the stars could be spread faster than the speed of light?
It seems funny that evolutionists think distant starlight is a problem to God, yet have no problem believing that there was a single point...a cold whoosh... and then a minute or two later space had expanded out by 50,000 light years (or more).

6days

Whass goin on, when a technically qualified YEC claims that the data strongly and quite consistently says meteorites are billions of years old? Is he complicit in falsifying calculations too?
Snelling does NOT say meteorites are billions of years old. He says "Even in the naturalistic paradigm the asteroids, and thus the meteorites, are regarded as “primordial material” left over from the formation of the solar system. Similarly, it has been suggested the Hebrew of the Genesis text allows for God to have made “primordial material” on Day One of the Creation Week from which He made the earth on Day One and the non-earth portion of the solar system on Day Four. Thus today’s measured radioisotope compositions of these groups of meteorites may reflect a geochemical signature of that “primordial material,” which included atoms of all elemental isotopes created by God. Therefore some, or perhaps most, of the daughter isotopes measured today in these groups of meteorites were thus “inherited” by them when they were formed from that “primordial material,” and the parent isotopes in these meteorites have only been subjected to some subsequent radioisotope decay (and none at accelerated rates). Thus the 4.55–4.57 Ga Pb-Pb, U-Pb, and Pb-Pb calibrated isochron “age” for these groups of meteorites, and their supporting Rb-Sr, Lu-Hf, Re-Os, and Sm-Nd isochron “ages,” cannot be their true real-time age, which according to the biblical paradigm is only about 6000 real-time years."