Could God forgive without crucifixion?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Forgiveness requires cost? I would call it a payment then. Forgiveness requires love. And I never saw the "eye for eye" as the main rule in OT. It was barely mentioned, and most bible scholars believe the purpose of it was not to take revenge, but not to take it above the fault (ONE eye for an eye, not TWO).

In my opinion it's hard to find something describing God's character as well as the parable of the prodigal son!

God is not holy if He simply looks past evil. You can sit there and spam 'love' all day as your justification for denying God should punish man for his wrongs, but don't sit there and act like the Bible actually agrees with you. All you have to do is flip open virtually any page of the Old Testament and you'll see that your hippie god isn't in there :rolleyes:

Predi

And notice no one had to die for the prodigal son to have his father forgive him, his joy was that he returned (repented).

I haven't noticed the son repenting.

He was just hungry and longed for good food.

He did, indeed, decide to apologize, but apology isn't repentance. Nothing shows us he reven realized he did something wrong. Plus, his father did not let him say a word. I see his father's forgiveness as absolutely unconditional.

He forgave the son before... actually he forgave him before the son left with the money. The father didn't have to give him the money that way, and he could severely punish him for the offense.

'Repentance'(change of mind, transformation of consciousness) has always been the way souls re-turn to 'God'.

The only times I see repentance mentioned in the Bible is before major wars and battles.

Predi

All you have to do is flip open virtually any page of the Old Testament and you'll see that your hippie god isn't in there :rolleyes:

In the OT God was warning His people countless times, that unless they listen to His rules, they will run into trouble.

They didn't listen, they ran into trouble, but...

God still loved them unconditionally, and He never stopped.

And never will.

"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!" (Isaiah 49:15)

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
In the OT God was warning His people countless times, that unless they listen to His rules, they will run into trouble.

And never will.

"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!" (Isaiah 49:15)

You have extremely selective reading comprehension.

And that is why you're interpretation is selective, and therefore errant :rolleyes:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Metanoia....wrongly translated as 'repentance' ?

Metanoia....wrongly translated as 'repentance' ?

In my view the son did repent in that he "changed his mind"...so that's what I'm referring to. He came to his senses, and realized how good he had it back at his 'father's house'. Beyond how we are defining terms within 'context',...I'd have to revisit the parable, if you want to split hairs :)

He did, indeed, decide to apologize, but apology isn't repentance. Nothing shows us he reven realized he did something wrong. Plus, his father did not let him say a word. I see his father's forgiveness as absolutely unconditional.

Again, back to how we define 'terms', and the parable itself while telling the story may not provide additional details, so we'd have to guess at some things, reading 'between the lines'. (also important here is how we translate 'metanoia'...which does not necessarily equate to the English equivalent of the word 'repentance').

He forgave the son before... actually he forgave him before the son left with the money. The father didn't have to give him the money that way, and he could severely punish him for the offense.

I'd have to revisit the parable again beyond my current memory, but you see we have some info. and are lacking info. as well, beyond what we assume or 'figure' into the story. I love allegory as you know,....being eclectic, esoteric, gnostic, theosophist type (don't forget New Thought too)....but perhaps a thread just on Jesus parables would be cool. Just a thought :surf:

Interestingly, we only seem to have Jesus presented as teaching in parables, but not many examples of his original apostles teaching by this method, much less them even repeating or mentioning Jesus parables! Interesting eh? Which may indicate the writers of the gospels were carrying over a teaching tradition from earlier Rabbis within Judaism, and/or maybe the traditions of the Vedic/Buddhist teachers....if they did indeed 'teach in parables', unless this is unique to Jesus alone (which some more liberal theologians might debate). But heaven forbid we stir up controversy,...but such more historical studies are pertinent, with a keen skepitical eye looking at the evidence.

I add to my former posts here, that the crucifixion as being a kind of 'blood sacrifice atonement' is not Jewish except a Christainized interpretation of some passages be inflected (read into) OT passages,...since traditional Orthodox Jews reject almost ALL the so called Messianic prophecies Christians use in the OT that they assume point to Jesus, but that's another thread. The concept of vicarious blood-atonement can be questioned on principle alone, since even though Mosaic law incorporated animal sacrifices, some later prophets rejected the profuse slaying of animals that effected no repentance or change of heart in the people, while the 'belief' that another could atone for your sins was also rejected (then again human sacrifice is totally rejected in Judaism). Even with the Jewish temples no longer operating,....Jews can just as surely by their prayers, repentance, good works...walk in righteousness and peace with God, since God accepts such as pleasing to him. Since there is no temple standing,...no animal sacrifices can be offered, and even if such a 3rd Temple is ever built, I'd still question the efficacy of animal sacrifices, so we're really left with the obvious inquiry if 'God' really REQUIRES BLOOD to effect atonement. NOTE: this is only within some older ancient religious cults and belief-systems (priesthoods, mystery religions, occult practices)...where sacrifices are held to have some kind of power to effect something. And still, if we hold to the symbolic meaning of blood, in any atoning or cleansing way,....its something accepted by 'faith' alone. So was a crucifixion absolutely necessary to enable the Father to forgive his children, when they could just ask our loving Heavenly Father for forgiveness and simply repent :idunno:

The only times I see repentance mentioned in the Bible is before major wars and battles.

I see it quite a few times in the gospels, with John the Baptists preaching and Jesus and his original apostles teaching.....which is basically begun with "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand". It would seem then that repentance (a change of mind) is pretty key in receiving the good news which calls for a 'change of mentality' - you can search out the meaning of 'metanoia' here. The book of Acts also has some apostles saying "Repent"...then adding their own message thereon. Plenty of examples in the OT show that prayer and repentance are efficacious and acceptable to God,....the re-turning to righteousness. All the blood sacrifices on earth are to no avail, if there is no real repentance of transformation of heart/mind in the individual or the nation. God abhorred and was sickened with all the blood sacrifices given by wicked priests and people, that it was a stench in his nostrils. (See Isaiah).

way 2 go

And never will.

:nono:

Eze 18:24 But when a righteous person turns away from his righteousness and does injustice and does the same abominations that the wicked person does, shall he live? None of the righteous deeds that he has done shall be remembered; for the treachery of which he is guilty and the sin he has committed, for them he shall die.

way 2 go

:think:
interesting you don't see repentance here

Luk 15:21 And the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'

He forgave the son before... actually he forgave him before the son left with the money.

did not get that from the parable

The father didn't have to give him the money that way, and he could severely punish him for the offense.

the father blessed the son sinned the son repented (turned from his sin)

way 2 go

My question is - why can't God just... forgive me all of my sins? Without the sacrifice of Jesus? Just because God is good and forgiving? We aren't taught in the Bible to forgive with any substitute sacrifice, right? What is the problem then?

justice

Psa 7:11 God is a righteous judge,

Predi

In my view the son did repent in that he "changed his mind"...so that's what I'm referring to. He came to his senses, and realized how good he had it back at his 'father's house'. Beyond how we are defining terms within 'context',...I'd have to revisit the parable, if you want to split hairs

The question is whether the story of the prodigal son is rather a parable or an allegory...

I'm not trying to say I'm an expert here, but repent literally in Greek means "change thinking", and... sorry, I just don't see it here.

I would see repentance if the son had guilty feelings, if he came to realization how he dishonored his father, or at least missed his father terribly.

The only thing the son felt was hunger.

The text said he decided TO SAY, "Father, I have sinned..." - but the only purpose given in the text is he wanted food.

I love allegory as you know,....being eclectic, esoteric, gnostic, theosophist type (don't forget New Thought too)....but perhaps a thread just on Jesus parables would be cool. Just a thought :surf:

I concur :) And I love allegory, too.

Interestingly, we only seem to have Jesus presented as teaching in parables, but not many examples of his original apostles teaching by this method, much less them even repeating or mentioning Jesus parables! Interesting eh?

Well you must remember there is only one reason given clearly in the Bible what the purpose of parables was... so that they wouldn't understand (Matthew 13:13)...

I add to my former posts here, that the crucifixion as being a kind of 'blood sacrifice atonement' is not Jewish except a Christainized interpretation of some passages be inflected (read into) OT passages

Of course. Plus, the sacrifices were supposed to "work" only for unintentional sins.. and it doesn't even say anywhere how they "work". It never says God will forgive the sin if the sacrifice takes place.

Since there is no temple standing,...no animal sacrifices can be offered, and even if such a 3rd Temple is ever built, I'd still question the efficacy of animal sacrifices, so we're really left with the obvious inquiry if 'God' really REQUIRES BLOOD to effect atonement.

I see the sacrifices as a kind of sign for people... similar like the Temple... God didn't need either of them, and after many centuries people were supposed to grow mature enough to understand that God is looking for those who will worship Him in their hearts, not in temples, and not by rituals.

So was a crucifixion absolutely necessary to enable the Father to forgive his children, when they could just ask our loving Heavenly Father for forgiveness and simply repent :idunno:

Again, I don't believe God is waiting for us to say we're sorry.

First of all, if He is, we would have to ask for forgiveness for each sin we commit... which is absolutely impossible.

I see it quite a few times in the gospels, with John the Baptists preaching and Jesus and his original apostles teaching.....which is basically begun with "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand". It would seem then that repentance (a change of mind) is pretty key in receiving the good news which calls for a 'change of mentality' - you can search out the meaning of 'metanoia' here. The book of Acts also has some apostles saying "Repent"...then adding their own message thereon.

Please look at the beginning of Luke 13.

Jesus tells Israel they have two options - repent or perish.

Christians generally read it today as "turn away from sins or go to hell" but Jesus specifies there it's about this world, physical death, nothing more!

I do not find this kind of message given to anyone but Jews, and only before AD 70.

genuineoriginal

The question is whether the story of the prodigal son is rather a parable or an allegory...

I'm not trying to say I'm an expert here, but repent literally in Greek means "change thinking", and... sorry, I just don't see it here.

I would see repentance if the son had guilty feelings, if he came to realization how he dishonored his father, or at least missed his father terribly.

The only thing the son felt was hunger.

The text said he decided TO SAY, "Father, I have sinned..." - but the only purpose given in the text is he wanted food.
Did the prodigal son decide to humble himself before his father?

Luke 15:18-19
18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.​

Do you think humbling himself had no effect?

2 Chronicles 33:12
12 And when he was in affliction, he besought the Lord his God, and humbled himself greatly before the God of his fathers,​

genuineoriginal

Please look at the beginning of Luke 13.

Jesus tells Israel they have two options - repent or perish.

Christians generally read it today as "turn away from sins or go to hell" but Jesus specifies there it's about this world, physical death, nothing more!

I do not find this kind of message given to anyone but Jews, and only before AD 70.
I understand Jesus to be preaching during the last seven years of the prophecy of the seventy weeks.
The Jews had only a few more years to repent as instructed in that prophecy.

Daniel 9:24
24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.​

Israel was commanded to repent during that 490 year period.
If they failed to repent, then the city would again be desolated.
Jesus was concerned with the Jews repenting so they could remain in Jerusalem with the Temple of God in its midst.
Due to the unrepentance of the Jews, Jerusalem was desolated forty years later in 70 CE.

Matthew 23:36-38
36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.​

At the end of the seventy years, the gospel went out to the Gentiles, and Cornelius was the first Gentile welcomed as a believer.

genuineoriginal

Most people can kill when they're really hungry. I didn't notice his heart changed.
You seem to be straying quite far from the story of the prodigal son.

I don't think it impresses God. And I don't think Old Testament patterns can be applied in our lives too often.
What about when it is repeated in the New Testament?

Matthew 18:4
4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.​

Matthew 23:12
12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.​

James 4:6
6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.​

James 4:10
10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.​

1 Peter 5:5
5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.​

1 Peter 5:6
6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:​

Hawkins

Jesus did forgive some people before crucifixion (for example in Luke 7:48), God did that many times in Old Testament, too (e.g. 2 Samuel 12:13).

You use your credit card to pay the bill by no means says that you don't need to pay.

My question is - why can't God just... forgive me all of my sins? Without the sacrifice of Jesus? Just because God is good and forgiving? We aren't taught in the Bible to forgive with any substitute sacrifice, right? What is the problem then?

If God forgives at will, it only means that God's realm is a lawless realm. Only in a lawless realm that a god forgives at will.

Predi

You seem to be straying quite far from the story of the prodigal son.

What about when it is repeated in the New Testament?

Majority of the scriptures you quoted is Old Testament. Which doesn't concern me.

And if we understand the term "New Testament" as "The New Covenant", spoken of in the Bible, then it doesn't concern me, either, as it was for Israel alone, too.

I was never promised Kingdom of Heaven.

And I am not under law, I am under grace.

God's Truth

Majority of the scriptures you quoted is Old Testament. Which doesn't concern me.

And if we understand the term "New Testament" as "The New Covenant", spoken of in the Bible, then it doesn't concern me, either, as it was for Israel alone, too.

I was never promised Kingdom of Heaven.

And I am not under law, I am under grace.

The gift, the reward, the inheritance, the treasure, the crown, the promise…it is all eternal life in the kingdom of God, which is the kingdom of heaven.

God's Truth

The kingdom of Christ and God; the kingdom of our Lord and his Christ; his kingdom and glory; the kingdom of God; the kingdom of his beloved Son; the kingdom of heaven; and the kingdom of light---ARE ALL THE SAME KINGDOM.

the kingdom of Christ and God." Ephesians 5:5

the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever.’" Revelation 11:15

who calls you into his kingdom and glory. 1 Thessalonians 2:12

the kingdom of God is within you."Luke 17:20-21

the kingdom of God ahead of you. Matthew 21:31.

the kingdom of God has come to you. Luke 11:20

the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, Romans 14:17

the kingdom of God.” Mark 12:34

the kingdom of God has come upon you. Matthew 11:28

the kingdom of his beloved Son," Colossians 1:13

the kingdom of heaven in men’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to. Matthew 23:13

the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it.
Matthew 11:12

The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount of flour until it worked all through the dough.” Matthew 13:33

the kingdom of light. Colossians 1:12