Could God forgive without crucifixion?

God's Truth

Jesus Himself said He was sent only to the Jews... not even all Jews, just the ones from the house of Israel (Matthew 15:24).

Jesus was sent to the lost Jews of Israel. Those were the Jews who already belonged to God by faith. God cut off and hardened the Jews who did not have faith.

Jesus said when he is lifted up...when he is crucified...THEN ALL could come to him to be saved.

See John 12:12 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself."

Even Paul confirms that by saying FIRST to the Jews then to the Gentiles.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

Acts 3:26 When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways."

Romans 2:9
There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile;

He was preaching law to the Jews.

He was preaching the NEW Covenant.

You don't know that?

He didn't preach about the death/resurrection Gospel until the very last of His days. And He never taught the Gospel of Grace that Paul taught.

Of course, Jesus preached about that.

Paul taught what Jesus taught.

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:21

For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. See Colossians 1:19-21.

Paul even quoted Jesus.

I have many scriptures to prove to you that Paul taught what Jesus taught.

If someone's theology directed at Christians is mostly based on Gospel, it must be taken out of context.

It's the same as if you tried to make theology based on Psalms or Pentateuch.

The direct addressees of almost entire Bible are Jews, whether we like it or not. And that included Gospels.

That is what you have been taught to believe, but it is not God's Truth.

Predi

Jesus offered the Jews the kingdom of God, doesn't that include salvation by grace?

What verse are you referring to where Jesus said salvation (being born again) is by our works?

Or are you just making up stuff?[/QUOTE]

I've never seen an idea that salvation means being born again. The term being born again is mentioned only once, and it is not in any synoptic Gospels, which is significant.

The salvation Jesus spoke about had nothing to do with what happens to you after you die. It only concerned living people on earth, as well as Kingdom of God.

And when it comes to the subject of Kingdom, Jesus spoke a lot of works

For I say to you, that if your righteousness may not abound above that of the scribes and Pharisees, ye may not enter to the reign of the heavens (Matthew 5:20)

so also my heavenly Father will do to you, if ye may not forgive each one his brother from your hearts their trespasses. (Matthew 18:35)

I never knew you, depart from me ye who are working lawlessness (Matthew 7:23)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I've never seen an idea that salvation means being born again. The term being born again is mentioned only once, and it is not in any synoptic Gospels, which is significant.

Is the term "born again" used in 1 Peter 1:23?

Predi

Cute. That's very cute. :rotfl:

Thanks!

Paul and other apostles quite a few times totally disregarded any logic and hermeneutic rules and they would be expelled even from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary...

...but...

they had a special revelation, they had a right to do it.

We don't.

Predi

I was talking about being born again of water and Spirit.

Do you believe John's writing were not inspired?

I believe they were.

But I also believe we should not make doctrines based on single verses, especially if they're not super clear.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Yes, and also in 1 Peter 1:3, but we were talking about Gospels, at least I was.

The term is used in the Gospel of John, "ye must be born again". (or 'born from above'). Sure, its only one mention translated in English terms, - this seems to be referring to a heavenly regeneration of some kind, a spiritual birth. Of course many doctrines are assumed by this or read into the words via tradition or pop-religion.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Which version of the NT did Paul use for his theology?

A NT (canonized as we now have it) did not exist during Paul's times, since even the gospels are considered to be later than his letters, and Paul's ignorance of or no mention of Jesus teachings, parables and other details of his earthly life are rather peculiar. Paul had the OT, whatever beliefs were current in his times, whatever schools of thought he incorporated into his teaching (he seems to blend in gnostic/mystery religion/greek-pagan concepts), centered mainly on his own personal revelations/visions. It was a synthesis and amalgamation of his own, which he heralded and defended as 'his gospel'. His gospel was different than what Jesus taught as the 'gospel of the kingdom', but this is a matter of debate as far as dispensational issues and what audience each gospel was addressed to,....but there is more revealed in deeper research, for those daring enough to venture it.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The term is used in the Gospel of John, "ye must be born again". (or 'born from above'). Sure, its only one mention translated in English terms, - this seems to be referring to a heavenly regeneration of some kind, a spiritual birth. Of course many doctrines are assumed by this or read into the words via tradition or pop-religion.

So we only live twice, is that it?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
So we only live twice, is that it?

Not sure where you're going with this. Within context of the passage, John 3 speaks of being 'born from above',...so there is a natural/physical birth, and also a spiritual/heavenly birth. The context appears to support this,...that which is born of the flesh is flesh, that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. A birth from above or spiritual rebirth (regeneration) is needed in order for the soul to see, recognize, realize the things of the Spirit. This is essential if one is to both 'see' and 'enter' into the kingdom.

Life goes on in cycles of birth, death, rebirth.....such is universal law :)

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Not sure where you're going with this. Within context of the passage, John 3 speaks of being 'born from above',...so there is a natural/physical birth, and also a spiritual/heavenly birth. The context appears to support this,...that which is born of the flesh is flesh, that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. A birth from above or spiritual rebirth (regeneration) is needed in order for the soul to see, recognize, realize the things of the Spirit. This is essential if one is to both 'see' and 'enter' into the kingdom.

Life goes on in cycles of birth, death, rebirth.....such is universal law :)

Problem is, some never see the kingdom this side of death.

Dispensationalists are the farthest from it.