Calvinists' Dilemma

Lon

OK, Lon. Thank you for throwing in the towel. At least you tried, but sadly, failed.

The Calvinists Dilemma remains unresolved. For other Calvinists who want to try and bail out Calvinism, here again:
Well, realize we've been over similar before. It took me a few posts, but you did concede there was an answer:
Although, I don't agree your answer is 100% correct, your request is granted. Your answer is hereby appreciated, brother.
I think too, that a third party assessment is worth a second look here as well:
I think you lost that exchange. Lon is right that you are completely unresponsive to what he was saying. I'm not Calvinist, but your tactics (not your arguments, as they are vacuous, at best) make people want to go do something more productive.

I've two posts on page 9 that I believe adequately address your new dilemma.

Samie

Well, realize we've been over similar before. It took me a few posts, but you did concede there was an answer:
I think too, that a third party assessment is worth a second look here as well:
Scripture is the final arbiter.
I've two posts on page 9 that I believe adequately address your new dilemma.
I don't think they did. You have not adequately explained how the "subjects of the kingdom" are not among the elect as you claimed.

You said they are Jews and the Jews are the elect of God. They are the original branches. But many branches were broken off. Hence, the elect can be broken off and thrown into outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Lon

Scripture is the final arbiter.
I don't think they did. You have not adequately explained how the "subjects of the kingdom" are not among the elect as you claimed.

You said they are Jews and the Jews are the elect of God. They are the original branches. But many branches were broken off. Hence, the elect can be broken off and thrown into outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Pretty much would make you Arminian at that point. If I've lost my salvation, can I get it back? What would you recommend, if not, to one who has already lost it? Your theology will have a few of us in a church 'without God' or simply giving up the lost cause after that point. Not a lot of hope in your theology, is there? :think:

Samie

Pretty much would make you Arminian at that point. If I've lost my salvation, can I get it back? What would you recommend, if not, to one who has already lost it? Your theology will have a few of us in a church 'without God' or simply giving up the lost cause after that point. Not a lot of hope in your theology, is there? :think:
No one loses salvation. As long as one is part of the Body of Christ, he is heaven-bound. Man cannot detach himself from the Body of Christ much like the ear cannot remove itself from being attached to the head. UNLESS Christ Himself detaches one from being part of His Body by blotting out his name from the book of life. It's Jesus Who Himself blots out non-overcomers from the book of life. And a person is judged an overcomer or not, only AFTER he dies. There's hope while alive. And it's God through Christ Who does the judging. His judgment is righteous and fair and He shows no partiality. No one need worry. We're in good Hands.

Lon

It's Jesus Who Himself blots out non-overcomers from the book of life.

No one need worry. We're in good Hands.
Forgive me for being neurotic or seeing this as incongruent. As a Calvinist, with perseverance of the saints, I have reconciliation but with synergism as opposed to monergism, I'd be troubled by this. That is, if I were a synergist, this would not give me hope. I was greatly tossed between the two as a synergist.

Samie

Forgive me for being neurotic or seeing this as incongruent. As a Calvinist, with perseverance of the saints, I have reconciliation but with synergism as opposed to monergism, I'd be troubled by this. That is, if I were a synergist, this would not give me hope. I was greatly tossed between the two as a synergist.
The debate between synergism and monergism came about because both Calvinists and Arminians honestly believed in the lie that people are born spiritually dead in sin.

Samie

Well, that explains a lot about where your head is at. Not really in sync with any creed or council then? :think:
What I really care about is whether my position is in sync with Scriptures. I could be wrong, but UNLESS shown from Scriptures that I am, then I can't believe otherwise.

Lon

What I really care about is whether my position is in sync with Scriptures. I could be wrong, but UNLESS shown from Scriptures that I am, then I can't believe otherwise.

I think that goes without saying. Of topic, but Consider: Galatians 6:6 1 Corinthians 12:27 Romans 12:5 Acts 2:46 Hebrews 10:24-25 2 Peter 1:20

Samie

I think that goes without saying. Of topic, but Consider: Galatians 6:6 1 Corinthians 12:27 Romans 12:5 Acts 2:46 Hebrews 10:24-25 2 Peter 1:20
My position views every man as part of the Body of Christ unless Christ Himself has blotted out one's name from the book of life. I don't consider myself as being alone in that Body. That's absurd. Our being in His Body is all God's work FOR man through Christ. And there is no partiality with Him.

I want to be shown how my position is unscriptural and whether it resulted only from my erroneous interpretation of Scriptures, if indeed it is.

Derf

I have explained it in many different threads, and just recently, here.
I read some of those posts. I've been thinking along the same lines, if I understand what you're saying--that Christ's death was effective for the whole human race, and one has to reject Christ to be put in the other camp.

But I don't think scripture backs it up. For instance, 1Jn 2:19, and 2 Pet 2:20-22, and Heb 6:4-6 all seem to talk about a state where non-believers weren't part of the body, then became so in some way (maybe faked), then left.

And in fact, Jesus' words to Nicodemus in John 3 seemed to indicate that there was something extra that needed to happen to get someone into the kingdom, not something that needed to be avoided to keep from getting thrown out, as you seem to think.

But if you want to keep developing your theory, I'll listen, as long as you don't mind some critiques.

Samie

I read some of those posts. I've been thinking along the same lines, if I understand what you're saying--that Christ's death was effective for the whole human race, and one has to reject Christ to be put in the other camp.

But I don't think scripture backs it up. For instance, 1Jn 2:19, and 2 Pet 2:20-22, and Heb 6:4-6 all seem to talk about a state where non-believers weren't part of the body, then became so in some way (maybe faked), then left.

And in fact, Jesus' words to Nicodemus in John 3 seemed to indicate that there was something extra that needed to happen to get someone into the kingdom, not something that needed to be avoided to keep from getting thrown out, as you seem to think.

But if you want to keep developing your theory, I'll listen, as long as you don't mind some critiques.
There is only one reason why one is refused entry into the heavenly portals and instead thrown into the lake of fire: his name is not found written in the book of life. Rev 20:15; 21:27.

Why not there? It was blotted out (Exo 32:33). But overcomers will not be blotted out from it (Rev 3:5).

To be in the BOC is to have one's name in the BOL. And judgment whether to blot a name or not from the BOL occurs AFTER a person dies (Heb 9:27). There's hope while alive.

As to being born again, Scriptures tell us God caused us to be born again through the resurrection of Jesus (1 Pet 1:3). We were made alive TOGETHER with Him (Eph 2:4-6; Col 2:13) because we died with Him when He died (2 Cor 5:14, 15; Gal 2:20), being His Body with all our sins on the cross (Eph 2:11-19; 1 Pet 2:24).

beloved57

Unbelievers that Christ died for are reconciled to God while they are enemies Rom 5:10, so the death of Christ effectively effected reconciliation for them He died for while they are enemies of God. That's not true of all men.

Derf

Unbelievers that Christ died for are reconciled to God while they are enemies Rom 5:10, so the death of Christ effectively effected reconciliation for them He died for while they are enemies of God. That's not true of all men.
What's not true of all men? Rom 5:10 talks of having been ("were") reconciled by His death, and afterward being ("shall be") saved by His life. How does that work? Sounds like you are agreeing with Samie, that we are all reconciled at the time of His death, but something else happens afterward.

beloved57

What's not true of all men? Rom 5:10 talks of having been ("were") reconciled by His death, and afterward being ("shall be") saved by His life. How does that work? Sounds like you are agreeing with Samie, that we are all reconciled at the time of His death, but something else happens afterward.
Not all men are reconciled to God while they are enemies, most are under God's wrath and condemnation as they are enemies Jn 3:18,36. Not so if Christ died for you Rom 5:10.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Derf

Not all men are reconciled to God while they are enemies, most are under God's wrath and condemnation as they are enemies Jn 3:18,36. Not so if Christ died for you Rom 5:10.
But Christ said He came not into the world to condemn the world (Jn 3:17 the verse before the one you cited). So if Jesus came so that the world might be saved, and "most" in the world are under God's wrath and condemnation, because they didn't believe in Jesus, and they didn't have a chance to believe in Jesus, then it sounds like Jesus was lying--He really did come into the world to condemn those that He knew wouldn't believe--because He decided before the world began that they wouldn't believe, according to you, but His presence here (definitely by God's hand) together with their unbelief (which you say is by God's hand, since Jesus didn't come to reconcile them) is what condemns them, according to the verse you cited.

Back to those pernicious dilemmas.

beloved57

But Christ said He came not into the world to condemn the world (Jn 3:17 the verse before the one you cited). So if Jesus came so that the world might be saved, and "most" in the world are under God's wrath and condemnation, because they didn't believe in Jesus, and they didn't have a chance to believe in Jesus, then it sounds like Jesus was lying--He really did come into the world to condemn those that He knew wouldn't believe--because He decided before the world began that they wouldn't believe, according to you, but His presence here (definitely by God's hand) together with their unbelief (which you say is by God's hand, since Jesus didn't come to reconcile them) is what condemns them, according to the verse you cited.

Back to those pernicious dilemmas.
Post 177 and 175 you understand the points made with scripture?

Derf

Post 177 and 175 you understand the points made with scripture?

I think I understand the points you are trying to make with scripture. What I pointed out was that the scriptures you cited don't seem to make those points for you. Think through it a bit and try again.