Buddhism for someone who never agreed with Christianity and Christianity without the

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Since we’re talking about things covered in the bible, you know what is mysteriously not covered? The destruction of the Jewish temple by the Romans in 70 ad. Kinda strange, don’t you think? I mean, Jesus prophesied it’s destruction but the apostles couldn’t mention it? That’s crazy!

I mean, the Revelation wasn’t even written until 90 something...according to scholarship, right?

Apparently Revelation was written before the destruction of the temple, so right.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
In fact, not only does the Bible not mention the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem. But I think it’s only covered by Josephus, if I’m not mistaken. And have you read what Josephus says about it?

Well, that certainly doesn’t coincide with the Bible, does it? I mean, with Jesus and everything.

You are welcome to share.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Wouldn’t be a stretch to consider that all original source materials had been lost, or most anyway...and the elders had to “rewrite” or rather recall the information as best they could. Since there are no original bibles or letters, we may never know.

Copies of texts is different than recall from memory.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Anyway, to get back to the topic....yeah Buddha was not a sorcerer. That’s silly. He was more of a scientist, like Sir Isaac Newton, the greatest of all scientists....IMO. Anyway, it seems to me that the Buddhists are better Christians than Christians than Christians are. I mean, not to insult...but Christians obviously do believe in killing people because they practice it. I mean, you can’t say you don’t believe in murder then go around killing people, or supporting the killing of other people. That should be clear enough.

From wiki

“The five precepts (Pali: pañcasīla; Sanskrit: pañcaśīla) or five rules of training (Pali: pañcasikkhapada; Sanskrit: pañcaśikṣapada[1][2])[note 1] is the most important system of morality for Buddhist lay people. They constitute the basic code of ethics undertaken by lay followers of Buddhism. The precepts are commitments to abstain from killing living beings, stealing, sexual misconduct, lying and intoxication. Within the Buddhist doctrine, they are meant to develop mind
and character to make progress on the path to enlightenment. They are sometimes referred to as the śrāvakayāna precepts in the Mahāyāna tradition, contrasting them with the bodhisattva precept..”

So, you can’t drink like an Irishman if you want to be Buddhist, but you can treat every living thing with respect, especially yourself. So yeah...in my book, nothing wrong with it.

If a Christian were to cause suffering, hopefully it wouldn't be said that this is by preaching the gospel. Because Buddhists don't like others to cause suffering. I believe that the gospel is in fact liberating.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You are not a Christian. You make a false claim. Your own theology proves you are not alive with Christ.

I do not see how you say this at all. I am a Christian. It is not a false claim. And what theology are you talking about? I would rather study the Bible than do theology. But to be alive with Christ certainly sounds Biblical to me. I am alive in Christ. He is my Lord and my Savior.

MennoSota

I do not see how you say this at all. I am a Christian. It is not a false claim. And what theology are you talking about? I would rather study the Bible than do theology. But to be alive with Christ certainly sounds Biblical to me. I am alive in Christ. He is my Lord and my Savior.
You cannot see because you are blind to God in His word. I wish that your eyes were open. Please do continue to read scripture. It is through scripture that God makes us alive with Him and gives us eyes to see.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You cannot see because you are blind to God in His word. I wish that your eyes were open. Please do continue to read scripture. It is through scripture that God makes us alive with Him and gives us eyes to see.

Sounds good. I have been reading since I was a child. I have studied the Torah, read the Old Testament, begun on the TaNaKh, and read the New Testament. I have read the entire Bible more than once.