Buddhism for someone who never agreed with Christianity and Christianity without the

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
I believe that all theistic religions allude to an ineffiable divine essence. Each culture defines this essence by way of their own cultural traditions and values. I realise Christianity's theonomy regarding God is important to western culture though, the historical struggle of who's dogma exists as Truth is a dangerously misguided and pointless endeavor...it only begets division, hatred and violence i.e. unnecessary human suffering. (RE: the Four Noble Truths.).
Thus, I do not aspire to any such dogma.

It is refreshing to hear intelligence.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
It is true no doubt.

I just hit the thanks button because I don’t know how to operate the signals to agree with what you’re saying on this site. I haven’t been here in a long time.

But, this thread has reminded me of fear. You know who was afraid of God? Primitive man and the “underdeveloped “ if I may use that term. You know...the volcano is erupting, the gods must be angry. And somehow, that deep seated fear has made it into religion, and people still think someone should be afraid of God.

What foolishness.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Every real experience I’ve ever had with God has been really good. For the record. I tally one for truth.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Pagans trying to pimp themselves. I am always amazed at the number of dead men talking her at TOL.

Speaking of pimping things....it reminds me that you don’t really find “pimping” in the Bible. At least not that I recall. I don’t remember pimps being mentioned, yet everyone knows what they are, They are real.

Now prostitution is mentioned in the Bible. I guess you could say it’s covered lightly. But pimps? Nope. Not covered.

Since women were property in the time of the Bible....yeah. There were pimps.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Since we’re talking about things covered in the bible, you know what is mysteriously not covered? The destruction of the Jewish temple by the Romans in 70 ad. Kinda strange, don’t you think? I mean, Jesus prophesied it’s destruction but the apostles couldn’t mention it? That’s crazy!

I mean, the Revelation wasn’t even written until 90 something...according to scholarship, right?

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
In fact, not only does the Bible not mention the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem. But I think it’s only covered by Josephus, if I’m not mistaken. And have you read what Josephus says about it?

Well, that certainly doesn’t coincide with the Bible, does it? I mean, with Jesus and everything.

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
Since we’re talking about things covered in the bible, you know what is mysteriously not covered? The destruction of the Jewish temple by the Romans in 70 ad. Kinda strange, don’t you think? I mean, Jesus prophesied it’s destruction but the apostles couldn’t mention it? That’s crazy!
Save for John, they were all dead by then. Murdered.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Wouldn’t be a stretch to consider that all original source materials had been lost, or most anyway...and the elders had to “rewrite” or rather recall the information as best they could. Since there are no original bibles or letters, we may never know.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Anyway, to get back to the topic....yeah Buddha was not a sorcerer. That’s silly. He was more of a scientist, like Sir Isaac Newton, the greatest of all scientists....IMO. Anyway, it seems to me that the Buddhists are better Christians than Christians than Christians are. I mean, not to insult...but Christians obviously do believe in killing people because they practice it. I mean, you can’t say you don’t believe in murder then go around killing people, or supporting the killing of other people. That should be clear enough.

From wiki

“The five precepts (Pali: pañcasīla; Sanskrit: pañcaśīla) or five rules of training (Pali: pañcasikkhapada; Sanskrit: pañcaśikṣapada[1][2])[note 1] is the most important system of morality for Buddhist lay people. They constitute the basic code of ethics undertaken by lay followers of Buddhism. The precepts are commitments to abstain from killing living beings, stealing, sexual misconduct, lying and intoxication. Within the Buddhist doctrine, they are meant to develop mind
and character to make progress on the path to enlightenment. They are sometimes referred to as the śrāvakayāna precepts in the Mahāyāna tradition, contrasting them with the bodhisattva precept..”

So, you can’t drink like an Irishman if you want to be Buddhist, but you can treat every living thing with respect, especially yourself. So yeah...in my book, nothing wrong with it.

Idolater

Yep. The Romans were highly effective killers.
Yes, but interesting that you're laying out a red herring. Why the Apostles didn't write about the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 by General (future emperor) Titus was because they were all dead, except for John, and who knows why he didn't write what he didn't write (am I right? ;)). His Gospel, compared to the other three which were already extant, filled in plenty of gaps that we may not have even noticed were there, had we not watched John fill them all in. One of the things John did for instance was, after Peter had already died, John underscored that Jesus of Nazareth commissioned Peter as supreme pastor of His Church, in John 21:15-17 KJV; the famous "feed My sheep" passage.

Peter and maybe all the other Apostles were dead by the time John wrote John, there wasn't any reason why he would feel compelled to toe the line by this point, so it's doubly significant to me, that when John bolstered the primacy of Peter among all the Apostles then, that he was really bolstering the validity of Peter's Roman pastorate, which office Peter held from when he first arrived in Rome, until he died at the hands of the Romans around AD 65-66 (somewhat like the temple did in AD 70 in Jerusalem; at the hands of the Romans; like Christ Himself died at the hands of the Romans).

When John wrote John it was likely Linus who presided in charity over the whole Church on earth. Notably, not John himself, the last surviving Apostle, perhaps even by then.

Idolater

Wouldn’t be a stretch to consider that all original source materials had been lost, or most anyway...and the elders had to “rewrite” or rather recall the information as best they could. Since there are no original bibles or letters, we may never know.
There are multiple people living right now, this instant, who know the entire Qur'an by heart, in Arabic. fwiw.

Idolater

Anyway, to get back to the topic....yeah Buddha was not a sorcerer. That’s silly. He was more of a scientist
I agree. Or a logician.
, like Sir Isaac Newton, the greatest of all scientists....IMO. Anyway, it seems to me that the Buddhists are better Christians than Christians than Christians are. I mean, not to insult...but Christians obviously do believe in killing people because they practice it. I mean, you can’t say you don’t believe in murder then go around killing people, or supporting the killing of other people. That should be clear enough.

From wiki

“The five precepts (Pali: pañcasīla; Sanskrit: pañcaśīla) or five rules of training (Pali: pañcasikkhapada; Sanskrit: pañcaśikṣapada[1][2])[note 1] is the most important system of morality for Buddhist lay people. They constitute the basic code of ethics undertaken by lay followers of Buddhism. The precepts are commitments to abstain from killing living beings, stealing, sexual misconduct, lying and intoxication. Within the Buddhist doctrine, they are meant to develop mind
and character to make progress on the path to enlightenment. They are sometimes referred to as the śrāvakayāna precepts in the Mahāyāna tradition, contrasting them with the bodhisattva precept..”

So, you can’t drink like an Irishman if you want to be Buddhist, but you can treat every living thing with respect, especially yourself. So yeah...in my book, nothing wrong with it.
Buddhists, according to the Dali Lama (so therefore, authoritatively; as if the Pope were teaching it 'ex cathedra,' iow, wrt Catholicism), believe that LGBTI/Q/+ conjugal behavior is 'misconduct,' fwiw.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I just hit the thanks button because I don’t know how to operate the signals to agree with what you’re saying on this site. I haven’t been here in a long time.

But, this thread has reminded me of fear. You know who was afraid of God? Primitive man and the “underdeveloped “ if I may use that term. You know...the volcano is erupting, the gods must be angry. And somehow, that deep seated fear has made it into religion, and people still think someone should be afraid of God.

What foolishness.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the message of the Bible. I think I can say that.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Every real experience I’ve ever had with God has been really good. For the record. I tally one for truth.

That is good I think. Hopefully you don't credit experiences that are contrary to Scripture if you have ever had one.