Arkansas Church Kicks Out Young Gay Man For ‘Choosing A Sinful Lifestyle’

genuineoriginal

I have never seen nor heard of any man doing any such thing. Ever. So this scripture is pretty much useless, if it is to be taken literally. And if it is not to be taken literally, but is instead meant metaphorically, then we're going to have to make presumptions about what that metaphor is.
Peter is using the metaphor to explain his previous sentence about a person knowing the way of righteousness and then turning away.

In which case we could very likely presume wrongly, since the quote is coming from a culture thousands of years past and on the other side of the world.
Perhaps you failed to read the verses?

You will ignore these inconvenient facts, I'm sure, because you already just assume your interpretation and understanding of the words is absolutely and unquestionably correct. And that you then have the right to abuse other people because you are so absolutely and unquestionably right.

Isn't this true?
The Bible says that the man abuses himself with men.
The Bible says to kick out sexual deviants from the fellowship.

Maybe you never read the Bible?

But your thinking so doesn't make it so. And you don't really have that right, at all.
You should be looking at your own self.
Your thinking is against the teachings of the Bible, so either you have it right or the Bible has it right.

PureX

Peter is using the metaphor to explain his previous sentence about a person knowing the way of righteousness and then turning away.
Which person? Because it certainly appears to me that we all have a somewhat different idea of what "righteousness" is.
The Bible says that the man abuses himself with men.
The Bible says to kick out sexual deviants from the fellowship.
The thing is, two thousand years ago, on the other side of the world, this may have been considered unrighteous behavior. But we are not living in those days, or in that place, or in that culture. So unless you can show some real good reason why we should be mimicking the biases and the righteousness presumptions of some two century old and long dead Jews, instead of determining what is righteous for ourselves, in this time and place and culture, then I don't see why I should take any of this seriously.
You should be looking at your own self.
That's exactly my point. We SHOULD be looking at ourselves, and asking ourselves what it means to be righteous. Not some religious zealot from two thousand years ago.
Your thinking is against the teachings of the Bible, so either you have it right or the Bible has it right.
I am not a Jew, so the teachings of most of the Bible don't apply to me. I'm more interested the parts that illuminate the Christ ideal.

Also, God didn't write the Bible, and I am not going to make a false idol of it by pretending that He did. I don't need to pretend I own God's ideas in a book so I can then presume myself to be more righteous and knowledgeable about God than everyone else. And I'm certainly not going to allow you to use this foolish pretense to pass judgment on me, either.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Joh 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

It doesn't say 'go and sin no more, or keep sinning if you want to'.

If that woman had started to follow Jesus but kept in that sin, do you think Jesus would have been hunky dory with it? :idunno:

:thumb:

no surprise, purex skipped this part

ok doser

... determining what is righteous for ourselves, in this time and place and culture...

isn't that exactly what the church leaders in question are doing?

in past eras, the pervert would have been executed, not just denied membership in the church

the teachings of most of the Bible don't apply to me

actually they do

but i suspect you won't learn that until you're standing in front of the Judgement Throne

I'm certainly not going to allow you to use this foolish pretense to pass judgment on me, either.

a bold statement

how do you plan to stop us?

ok doser

The point being that the Church has the right to refuse membership not to be confused with fellowship.

you're talking past each other

the point traci's trying to make is that perverts* are just like blacks

* but only the perverts he likes (homos)

TracerBullet

Where are you getting your insights into the atmosphere of this church? Do you go there? Have you been there? Is this based on anything at all?Probably because you're actually trying to equate refusing membership, without refusing attendance and participation, with legally recognized racial discrimination.

I'm sure that if you found someone who was actually forced, by law, to give up their seat to someone else or drink at a separate water fountain, based entirely on their race...that person would surely find your assertion ridiculous.

allow me to someday introduce you to my grandmother

ok doser

No, I'm comparing the justifications of hate and discrimination used by racists and homophones and continuing to find them indistinguishable

ho·mo·phone
ˈhäməˌfōn,ˈhōmə-/
noun
noun: homophone; plural noun: homophones

each of two or more words having the same pronunciation but different meanings, origins, or spelling, e.g., new and knew.

:idunno:

ok doser

back of the bus

so you believe that churches should have no standards of acceptable behavior for their membership?

should a baptist church (like the one in the op) welcome into their membership muslims who are not interested in converting?

was the pope right (in your opinion) in excommunicating members of the mafia?

TracerBullet

you're talking past each other

the point traci's trying to make is that perverts* are just like blacks

* but only the perverts he likes (homos)

One thing gays and blacks do share is how those who choose to hate try to falsely associate both groups to sexual predators.