are you a feminist?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I haven't been irrational, chrys. You've been downright stubborn, that's all.

I'm not playing games, you just refuse to be helpful. If you'd been helpful, you'd have your answer from me by now. You're shooting yourself in the foot and blaming it on me.

I noticed too that you didn't answer if you wanted to understand how your list looked to me, either. I don't really believe you want to know what I think. I believe you want to be able to pin a label on me and sort me neatly into whatever box you think I belong.

I already have

you are strong, clever, and disingenuous
but
you certainly are not feminine

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
here they are folks

annabenedetti 60
Rusha 37
Arthur Brain 34
bybee 23

you will find them together in many other threads along with the usual suspects

they are like a tag team
and
they have you covered no matter what time of day it is

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
here they are folks

annabenedetti 60
Rusha 37
Arthur Brain 34
bybee 23

they are like a tag team
and

We are well organized.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, you got it covered.

(I can imagine your reaction if a woman told you that you certainly were not masculine. )

Masculine, in his world, means a guy who is capable of bulling, insulting and intentionally misrepresenting others.

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
this is about how you think about feminists and whether or not you consider yourself one

Since it seems to bother you enough that people are actually posting in your thread that you feel the need to count them repeatedly, I'll stop here and let you keep the high score.

Fact is, chrys, you can't pigeon-hole me. I'm a strong believer in women and men both. I've worked outside the home and chose to be a stay-at-home mom. I was as skilled in my career as I am in making the flakiest pie crust you've ever had. I've put on my heels and gone to the office and I've stood for hours in the kitchen making home-made dinners, barefoot and pregnant. I'm pro-life. Being a mom is a joy, and the things my sons write in my mother's day cards would put the lie to what you think of my femininity and it's their opinion that matters to me, not yours.

I'm also very aware that there are men out there and right here in this forum* who have little use for women except in the roles that those men want to define for us. And they want pliable, submissive, unquestioning, biddable women so they can feel superior.

Sorry I wasn't able to help you out with that.

*And I appreciate the men here who are not at all like the men described above. I know who they are, and they know I don't include them in the above.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
this is not about you
this is not about me
it is about them, the feminists
you know they are out there
you know what they are doing
are you with them?
or
are you against them?

it is that simple

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Since it seems to bother you enough that people are actually posting in your thread that you feel the need to count them repeatedly, I'll stop here and let you keep the high score.

Fact is, chrys, you can't pigeon-hole me. I'm a strong believer in women and men both. I've worked outside the home and chose to be a stay-at-home mom. I was as skilled in my career as I am in making the flakiest pie crust you've ever had. I've put on my heels and gone to the office and I've stood for hours in the kitchen making home-made dinners, barefoot and pregnant. I'm pro-life. Being a mom is a joy, and the things my sons write in my mother's day cards would put the lie to what you think of my femininity and it's their opinion that matters to me, not yours.

I'm also very aware that there are men out there and right here in this forum* who have little use for women except in the roles that those men want to define for us. And they want pliable, submissive, unquestioning, biddable women so they can feel superior.

Sorry I wasn't able to help you out with that.

*And I appreciate the men here who are not at all like the men described above. I know who they are, and they know I don't include them in the above.

/Thread/

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
here they are folks

annabenedetti 60
Rusha 37
Arthur Brain 34
bybee 23

they are like a tag team
and

it's the hell-bound tard-brigade! :chuckle:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
You left out the most prevalent response: Asking the author of the thread to define feminism so the thread could bring out productive conversation. When a link showing the varied and multifaceted aspects of the term was provided by another poster you identified as at least a 'first tier' feminist by conceding that women should be allowed to vote.

Did you forget that?
Why does he need to define feminism in order for this thread to have productive conversation? He wants to know who identifies as a feminist by whatever definition they have. No one needs to worry about getting boxed in by a particular definition because they can give their meaning of the word with their yes/no answer.

Of course, no one has to play by chrys' rules but I think it's wrong to say that this thread can go nowhere until he provides his own definition.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
this is not about you
this is not about me
are you with them?
or
are you against them?

it is that simple

ok, now you've lost me. :chuckle: Asking about who identifies as a feminist is fine but in this post you are clearly referring to a particular conception.

I am against those who want abortion on demand and think that any anti-abortion man hates women and wants to control their bodies. I'm against those that want to idolize promiscuous women to get equality with promiscuous men. I'm against those who criticize a woman for choosing to be a stay at home mother. I'm against the thought that any recognition of gender differences is an attack on women. The Daily Beast article I mentioned earlier quoted a book called Sexual Personae

Feminism
sees every hierarchy as repressive, a social fiction; every negative about woman is a male lie designed to keep her in her place. Feminism has exceeded its proper mission of seeking political equality for women and has ended by rejecting contingency, that is, human limitation by nature or fate. . . . If civilization had been left in female hands, we would still be living in grass huts.''

That last line goes too far though. :eek:

I support political and economic and religious equality.
I support a woman's choice to have a career with or without children.

Now you'd have to tell me how much of that matches your conception and what I missed.

Arthur Brain

this is not about you
this is not about me
are you with them?
or
are you against them?

it is that simple

No, it's pretty much you who's just that simple...

:plain:

Arthur Brain

Why does he need to define feminism in order for this thread to have productive conversation? He wants to know who identifies as a feminist by whatever definition they have. No one needs to worry about getting boxed in by a particular definition because they can give their meaning of the word with their yes/no answer.

Of course, no one has to play by chrys' rules but I think it's wrong to say that this thread can go nowhere until he provides his own definition.

Well, he doesn't though, that's the point. As usual with Chrys nowadays, any thread like this has a feeble agenda attached so it was not unreasonable to get him to define what feminism actually meant. It likely sticks in his craw that it's not as simplistic as he would prefer as even he would be classed as a feminist by some by supporting the rights of women to vote.

Unless they're democrats...

:eek: