Addiction, addict = adjudged.

PureX

My addictions were the judgement of the Almighty upon me because of my sin. As soon as my sin was forgiven my addictions were lifted. I spent a number of years questioning how and why this was and found the answer.

When Messiah healed He explained why/how...''thy sins are forgiven''.
There is a line in my old Catholic Bible that I came across in my early recovery in AA, that stated: "… for man is punished through that with which he sins". And it went on to give a detailed example of how this happens (it was in the 'Book of Wisdom'). And I found that line enormously helpful in getting me to understand the perverse thinking that I had been engaging in as an active alcoholic.

All those years I was drinking, I believed I was drinking in response to all the bad things that were happening to me in my life. But that one single line, and the explanation that followed, got me to see that it was the drinking that was causing most all of those bad things to happen! That I had gotten it exactly backwards! And as a result I had fallen into a kind of self-perpetuating cycle of self-induced misfortune and then poorly chosen responses to the misfortune that resulted in yet more misfortune. "For man is punished through that with which he sins."

That was the heart of my addiction, right there in a nutshell. Stop the 'sin' - stop the punishment - stop the punishment - stop the sin. All I had to do was STOP! And stay stopped, and in time my life would right itself. And it did!

(It took a lot of work on my part, though, to learn how to do this: how to get out of my own way.)

Truster

I can't imagine how you can know what is true or untrue of OTHER PEOPLE'S ADDICTIONS. And I can't imagine how you could be so self-centered and arrogant that you actually think you have the right to make such blind proclamations about a disease that kills more people than cancer.
I am an alcoholic (addicted to alcohol). This is not a judgment, this is a fact. I was born with a genetic inclination to become alcoholic, and the first time I drank that inclination was fulfilled. I became alcoholic from that moment on, and I remain an alcoholic to this day, even though I have not drunk a drop of alcohol since 1993.

I do agree with you, however, that it's a pointless judgment for other people to label someone an addict/alcoholic. Because the truth is that the only person that can ever really do anything about it is the addict/alcoholic, themselves. So that everyone else's judgment is basically pointless.

As an addict/alcoholic, myself, I'd ask that you to please refrain from making these blanket proclamations about my condition, when you in fact know nothing about it. Or about the conditions of millions of other addict/alcoholics that you likewise know nothing about.

Do you still have the thirst?

PureX

Do you still have the thirst?
No. Once I hit bottom, hard, that was that. I knew I had to stop, but that I could not stop. So I had to 'surrender' to some power greater than me.

I found that power through the people of AA, and I have not had a drink since, nor ever really wanted one. That alcoholic that I was, lost the fight, lost the war, and has long since been left behind.

But I still respect the danger in alcohol, for me. Which is why I will not drink it, ever again. God blessed me with a second chance at living, and I will not disrespect that amazing gift by testing it's tenacity with a drink of alcohol.

Truster

No. Once I hit bottom, hard, that was that. I knew I had to stop, but that I could not stop. So I had to 'surrender' to some power greater than me.

I found that power through the people of AA, and I have not had a drink since, nor ever really wanted one. That alcoholic that I was, lost the fight, lost the war, and has long since been left behind.

But I still respect the danger in alcohol, for me. Which is why I will not drink it, ever again. God blessed me with a second chance at living, and I will not disrespect that amazing gift by testing it's tenacity with a drink of alcohol.

AA told me not to try and stop drinking. They explained that because of my condition stopping would probably cause organ failure and death. They further explained that I would need to go under medical supervision and receive intravenous supplements to counteract these nasty effects.

At 10:30am on the 17th my sin being forgiven my need and desire for alcohol was removed and I knew for a certain fact my sin was forgiven.

Correct me if this is not the case with AA USA, but in the UK they teach regarding ''a higher power'' and not the Eternal Almighty and certainly not salvation from sin.

PureX

AA told me not to try and stop drinking. They explained that because of my condition stopping would probably cause organ failure and death. They further explained that I would need to go under medical supervision and receive intravenous supplements to counteract these nasty effects.

At 10:30am on the 17th my sin being forgiven my need and desire for alcohol was removed and I knew for a certain fact my sin was forgiven.

Correct me if this is not the case with AA USA, but in the UK they teach regarding ''a higher power'' and not the Eternal Almighty and certainly not salvation from sin.
AA is not about religion. It's about alcoholics helping other alcoholics to get and stay sober. How one chooses to characterize their "higher power" is up to the individual, and is not a particular matter for the singular purpose of Alcoholic Anonymous.

You must have needed serious medical detoxification when you sought help, to have been given such advice. Detoxing from alcohol poisoning is dangerous, and can kill a person more easily than detoxing from manufactured pharmaceutical drugs. But AA does not run any detox centers. AA is not affiliated with any churches, hospitals, clinics, detox or rehab centers. AA charges no money, and receives no financial gain from any related institutions of any kind. It's completely self-supported by voluntary member donations. And it's completely self-governed, via the individual group meetings.

My point is that AA is not a religion, is not about religion, and does not compete with religion. If you were helped by a religion instead of AA, that's excellent! AA encourages recovery by whatever means and methods are available, and achieve that goal.

Truster

AA is not about religion. It's about alcoholics helping other alcoholics to get and stay sober. How one chooses to characterize their "higher power" is up to the individual, and is not a particular matter for the singular purpose of Alcoholic Anonymous.

You must have needed serious medical detoxification when you sought help, to have been given such advice. Detoxing from alcohol poisoning is dangerous, and can kill a person more easily than detoxing from manufactured pharmaceutical drugs. But AA does not run any detox centers. AA is not affiliated with any churches, hospitals, clinics, detox or rehab centers. AA charges no money, and receives no financial gain from any related institutions of any kind. It's completely self-supported by voluntary member donations. And it's completely self-governed, via the individual group meetings.

My point is that AA is not a religion, is not about religion, and does not compete with religion. If you were helped by a religion instead of AA, that's excellent! AA encourages recovery by whatever means and methods are available, and achieve that goal.

Fortunately for me The Eternal does not follow rules. He saved me cold turkey and immediately. No religions and no AA.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Fortunately for me The Eternal does not follow rules. He saved me cold turkey and immediately. No religions and no AA.

Congratulations, I am also a recovering drunk and addict. I am also a member of AA. In the old days they would sometimes taper a person off to prevent DT's. Bill W. had his spiritual awakening in the hospital after he was detoxed a few days, that's all they had prior to AA.

I kinda think you are right about the simultaneous surrender to God, the gift of sobriety and turning away from Sin. That's what we do in the 12 steps.

BTW, we have a lot of nasty rednecks in America that find Christianity as a vent for their self righteous hatred. These people bear no semblance of knowing Jesus Christ. They are in effect religious addicts.

Truster

Congratulations, I am also a recovering drunk and addict. I am also a member of AA. In the old days they would sometimes taper a person off to prevent DT's. Bill W. had his spiritual awakening in the hospital after he was detoxed a few days, that's all they had prior to AA.

I kinda think you are right about the simultaneous surrender to God, the gift of sobriety and turning away from Sin. That's what we do in the 12 steps.

BTW, we have a lot of nasty rednecks in America that find Christianity as a vent for their self righteous hatred. These people bear no semblance of knowing Jesus Christ. They are in effect religious addicts.

The term 'recovering' doesn't apply to me as I was delivered. One of the reasons I spent so much time studying addiction was the complete deliverance I experienced.

I didn't surrender. I didn't ask to be saved and I didn't want to be saved. My sin being forgiven resulted in sobriety and it was an instant sober up. I stopped shaking immediately and I was sober for the first time in years.

I know a lady living locally who went through AA and professes a knowledge of the Almighty, but I could never call her sister.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Yet Paul said

Colossians 2

13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,

I like the contrast.

Sin was dealt with at the cross. But you don't preach it.

PureX

Then you were very fortunate indeed, because that does not happen for the vast majority of addicts and alcoholics.

Just for myself, the struggle turned out not to be putting down the drink so much as it was learning how to live, sober. When I was drinking, my response to everything was to drink. When I stopped drinking, I didn't know how to properly react to even the simplest difficulty or problem in life. And I was way behind everyone else because I had never learned those things. (I started drinking when I was young.) I needed the people in AA to teach me how to live, instead of drink. And that took a long time. That learning how to live sober is what I call "recovery". Because it's recovering the life I would have been living if I had not fallen into the cycle of alcohol addiction.

Most of us need more than just sobriety. We need recovery, as well.

Truster

Then you were very fortunate indeed, because that does not happen for the vast majority of addicts and alcoholics.

Just for myself, the struggle turned out not to be putting down the drink so much as it was learning how to live, sober. When I was drinking, my response to everything was to drink. When I stopped drinking, I didn't know how to properly react to even the simplest difficulty or problem in life. And I was way behind everyone else because I had never learned those things. (I started drinking when I was young.) I needed the people in AA to teach me how to live, instead of drink. And that took a long time. That learning how to live sober is what I call "recovery". Because it's recovering the life I would have been living if I had not fallen into the cycle of alcohol addiction.

Most of us need more than just sobriety. We need recovery, as well.

Drugs and alcohol were the reason I dropped out of education at 13 years of age. I owe everything to my Saviour.

Last edited:

Caino

BANNED
Banned
The term 'recovering' doesn't apply to me as I was delivered. One of the reasons I spent so much time studying addiction was the complete deliverance I experienced.

I didn't surrender. I didn't ask to be saved and I didn't want to be saved. My sin being forgiven resulted in sobriety and it was an instant sober up. I stopped shaking immediately and I was sober for the first time in years.

I know a lady living locally who went through AA and professes a knowledge of the Almighty, but I could never call her sister.

I use the present tense term "recovering" because I'm still growing spiritually, drinking was just a symptom of my problem. But my experience was very much like yours, it was on the morning of April 28 the, 1985. I also had no intentions of looking for God or repenting etc. I was miserable as usual and I just finally gave up! "When the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear."

I had no hope, and then I had hope.​

I never drank again and haven't wanted to, the obsession for booze was lifted, the spirit of God protects me from the weakness of my alcoholic mind.

Truster

I use the present tense term "recovering" because I'm still growing spiritually, drinking was just a symptom of my problem. But my experience was very much like yours, it was on the morning of April 28 the, 1985. I also had no intentions of looking for God or repenting etc. I was miserable as usual and I just finally gave up! "When the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear."

I had no hope, and then I had hope.​

I never drank again and haven't wanted to, the obsession for booze was lifted, the spirit of God protects me from the weakness of my alcoholic mind.

Yah Shua Messiah came into the world to save sinners, not drunks. So I must ask was the guilt of sin lifted from you?

I'm asking because I've met many young men who were brought up in ''Christian homes'' and then went off the rails for a couple of years. They then came under the teaching of the law and stopped drinking in case they went to hell.

Hope you don't mind me probing?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm amazed that Truster compares drug addiction with someone who loves football. Something's are inherently immoral, whether or not the person is addicted to them or not. I find that recovering addicts (and those who are currently using) often times use comparisons like that to make themselves feel better.

I pointed out the judgement in the form of addiction takes on many forms.

Some will keep you from spending eternity with God while others won't (a person doesn't have to repent because he or she loves football).

On that note: I'm curious what you meant in this paragraph:

Anyone addicted has been judged. The addiction is the judgment against the sin of the individual and/or of society where the judgment is the lust that accompanies homosexuality. If he is forgiven and granted repentance the judgment is lifted. That man is liberated indeed. Amen.

Are you implying that only lustful homosexual relationships are immoral, while loving (i.e. committed) ones aren't?

I've read similar propaganda many times before and I'm curious if you feel the same?

http://www.matthewvines.com/transcript/

Truster

Some will keep you from spending eternity with God while others won't (a person doesn't have to repent because he or she loves football).

On that note: I'm curious what you meant in this paragraph:

Are you implying that only lustful homosexual relationships are immoral, while loving (i.e. committed) ones aren't?

I've read similar propaganda many times before and I'm curious if you feel the same?

There is nothing that will keep me from eternity in the presence of my Eternal Saviour and Elohim. ( Eternity is not spent)

I'm certainly not implying that homosexuality is the only sexual sin that is an addiction and therefore adjudged. I used homosexuality in the scriptural context of Romans 1 and hoped that it would be recognised by those who are fully conversant with the scriptures.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
There is nothing that will keep me from eternity in the presence of my Eternal Saviour and Elohim. ( Eternity is not spent)

I'm certainly not implying that homosexuality is the only sexual sin that is an addiction and therefore adjudged. I used homosexuality in the scriptural context of Romans 1 and hoped that it would be recognised by those who are fully conversant with the scriptures.

I must have missed your answer to my earlier question. Here it is again:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't click on links given by people I don't know and trust.

Based on your lack of an answer on such a simple question, I get the feeling that you "know and trust" Matthew Vines quite well (he like you, denounces "lust" to justify his immoral behavior).

Nick was right.

Truster

Based on your lack of an answer on such a simple question, I get the feeling that you "know and trust" Matthew Vines quite well (he like you, denounces "lust" to justify his immoral behavior).

Nick was right.

Only Vine I know is the True Vine.

No need to ask whose puppet you are.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

Nick was right.

Only Vine I know is the True Vine.

No need to ask whose puppet you are.

I'm pursuing this topic because of all the sins that there are, you only mentioned homosexuality in your OP.

As you're probably aware, there are some very sick people out there who are trying to redefine Holy Scripture to meet their selfish perverted desires. A Christian organization started a website called "Gay Christian Movement Watch", and as well as exposing the frauds in the "Gay Christian Movement", it gives hundreds of testimonies of people who have left the homosexual lifestyle (and often times desires) behind.

I've talked about this website numerous times in my 4 part recriminalization of homosexuality threads; I'll pray that you visit the site and seek the help that you so desperately want and need.

http://gcmwatch.com/

Last edited: