chrysostom

Hall of Fame

if you search daniel for the word number, you get this

Daniel 9:2 In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.

that is why I started thinking it was a year

very few history books have anything happening that year
but
some have islam attacking shortly thereafter
and
gibbon gets closer than any of them
he also points out the problem others have with the dates

“In this inquiry I shall unfold the events that rescued our ancestors of Britain, and our neighbours of Gaul, from the civil and religious yoke of the Koran; that protected the majesty of Rome, and delayed the servitude of Constantinople; that invigorated the defence of the Christians, and scattered among their enemies the seeds of division and decay.”

The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon

I will always remember the first time I read this. It was early on in my research of the Apocalypse, Islam, and the Byzantine Empire and I was not sure where this was leading me but at that moment in time a historian of the eighteenth century told me I was on the right track.

Gibbon's footnote on the date is very interesting. His date 668 is at least five years earlier than most historians and I think he is still two years off

it's the year 666

back to
the apocalypse

it takes wisdom

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
early on in my research on 666
I searched daniel for the word number
one hit
number of the years
so
I looked to see what happened in the year 666

RBBI

How about the number of man being 6/imperfect body, 6/imperfect soul, and 6/imperfect spirit, just shy of the perfect, complete, sacred number 7?

Even now there are many antichrists out in the world.....Peace

1Jo 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

fzappa13

Rev 13:16 Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead,
Rev 13:17 so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name.
Rev 14:9 And another angel, a third, followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand,
Rev 14:10 he also will drink the wine of God's wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.

Question: Where else is there a binding on the forehead or hand? see v8

Deu 6:4 "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
Deu 6:5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
Deu 6:6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.
Deu 6:7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
Deu 6:8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.
Deu 6:9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

The Jews, even today, literally bind these on their right hand and forehead:
Spoiler
V10p024001.jpg

Phylacteries.jpg

Eschatology has never been my strong suit (take it as such) but the jews misread Deuteronomy to think this was a physical binding they needed to do, even up to today as shown in the spoiler. Not that a good reminder is a bad idea, but I believe Deuteronomy is talking about the way they were/are to think and the way they were/are to act: That His scriptures need to be in thier thoughts and actions.

Similarly then, (again eschatology is not my strong suit) I believe the mark could also be about what we think and do that would have us denying Christ as our Lord and Savior. How that would account for buying or selling I do not know so I see potential flaws here.

The theme is carried here: Matthew 22:37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

Again, eschatoly - end times prophecy is not my strong suit. I had a half of a year 3 hour class on this, and did well, but I have never had strong confidence in trying to ascertain prophetic pictures and types. The ones that are tied to Daniel Joel, and Ezekiel are somewhat clear for me.

-Lon

The important thing to remember is that the mark, number and name are used to control buying and selling. Chrys' eschatological horse never even leaves the chute on that count alone.

RBBI

If I could interject a point.....buying and selling denotes someone has lack, but in the perfect kingdom, there is no lack.

As for the mark in the forehead and in the hand, man already has taken the marks. They are the carnal mind and the works of the flesh. They "control" buying and selling from the standpoint of the lack that is inherent in that kingdom. Whereof in the perfection of His kingdom, the "silent" prayer, is that HaShem knows what ye have need of BEFORE YE ASK = no lack. Peace....

Interplanner

It's Nero. He persecuted many believers. The Rev was written to help that generation survive and respond to the persecution and the disaster in Israel.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

if you search daniel for the word number, you get this

Daniel 9:2 In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.

that is why I started thinking it was a year

very few history books have anything happening that year
but
some have islam attacking shortly thereafter
and
gibbon gets closer than any of them
he also points out the problem others have with the dates

“In this inquiry I shall unfold the events that rescued our ancestors of Britain, and our neighbours of Gaul, from the civil and religious yoke of the Koran; that protected the majesty of Rome, and delayed the servitude of Constantinople; that invigorated the defence of the Christians, and scattered among their enemies the seeds of division and decay.”

The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon

I will always remember the first time I read this. It was early on in my research of the Apocalypse, Islam, and the Byzantine Empire and I was not sure where this was leading me but at that moment in time a historian of the eighteenth century told me I was on the right track.

Gibbon's footnote on the date is very interesting. His date 668 is at least five years earlier than most historians and I think he is still two years off

it's the year 666

back to
the apocalypse

In the apocalyptic Revelation by John of Patmos, Nero is the second beast who, through miracles and the threat of death, compels the worship of the first beast. Moreover, the second beast marks everyone, both the great and small, with its own mark:

"Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six" (13:18)

In both ancient Greek and Hebrew, letters also represented numerals (as they do in Latin), their values assigned according to the order of the alphabet, alpha and aelph, for example, having the numerical value of 1. By adding these values, words could be represented as the sum of their numbers.

This literation of numbers and numeration of letters was known as isopsephism by the Greeks and gematria by the Jews (which, has been used to interpret Hebrew scripture).

If the Greek spelling of Nero Caesar (Neron Kaisar) is transliterated into Hebrew (nrwn qsr), the numerical equivalent is 666.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What is curious, however, is not so much that 666 can be decoded to signify Nero but that the name of the emperor is encoded in this particular number, especially since it could have been represented more readily in other ways. If "Nero" is retained in Greek, for example, the numeration would be 955 or, if "Neron," 1005; in Hebrew, then 256 or 306, respectively. It only is when the words are transliterated into Hebrew that the numeration adds up to 666 (nrwn qsr, 50 + 200 + 6 + 50 + 100 + 60 + 200). Even so, this is an alternate spelling, a letter in "Neron" being transliterated (nrwn instead of nrw) but not in "Caesar" (qsr instead of qysr), although these forms do appear in both the Talmud and a contemporary Aramaic scroll from Qumran. It is intriguing, therefore, that 666 encodes the name of Nero in Hebrew when Revelation, itself, was written in Greek.

One should appreciate, too, that there were no numbers in Greek or Hebrew and that the "the number of the beast" was not presented as a figure but as letters of the alphabet or written in full. That is to say, it was not expressed as "666" (indeed, discrete Arabic numerals would not be invented for another five hundred years) but as the numerical values of the three letters representing 600, 60, and 6.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/gladiators/nero.html

RBBI

Why do you think this is so?
To me buying and selling means a healthy economy - business as usual.

Spiritual principle. Coin in fishes mouth; so Yeshua showed He had control over that as well. Plus the weather (the wind and the waves obeyed Him), plus the food supply (multiplication of the fishes and loaves).

Dominion over all things in heaven and in earth, was demonstrating the nature of ElYon, possessor of heaven and earth. This means He was not subject to "healthy economies". Think about what a threat that was to natural men, plus HaSatan. Peace

disturbo

BANNED
Banned
It's Nero. He persecuted many believers. The Rev was written to help that generation survive and respond to the persecution and the disaster in Israel.

That kind of thinking makes John a false prophet because Nero was already in power when John wrote the book of Revelation between 65-70 AD. A prophet is a false prophet if they prophesy about something already in existence.

Preterism makes the book of Revelation almost useless because it would have had such little time to be distributed to the churches to authenticate God's foreknowledge in the matter since they knew a Roman invasion was coming anyway.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
That kind of thinking makes John a false prophet because Nero was already in power when John wrote the book of Revelation between 65-70 AD. A prophet is a false prophet if they prophesy about something already in existence.

Preterism makes the book of Revelation almost useless because it would have had such little time to be distributed to the churches to authenticate God's foreknowledge in the matter since they knew a Roman invasion was coming anyway.
What about the prophets of the Hebrew Bible (what we call the "Old" Testament) ?

They continually called out Israel to repent and turn from its evil ways.

The so-called cherry-picked verses that were supposed to demonstrate the coming of Christ thousands of years into the future actually pertained to the present age of those prophets.

The prophetic voice says "If you don't stop going the way you're going, you're going to wind up where you're headed." Sometimes it is the prophet, the poet or the mystic who can clearly see the consequences of our actions in the present. In my view, we have lost the prophetic voice of today's Christianity of the New Testament

RBBI

Yes it does....