10 things I'm right about, whether you agree or not.

Mystery

Oh! Well, I said that Szasz makes some valid arguments but his perspective appears, to me, to be incomplete over-generalized, and I gave the reasons why I think so.
That part I got. I have no idea what those reasons are. I have no idea how they pertain to the mind having the ability to be diseased or not.

red77

1. A Christian cannot lose salvation.

2. The sacrifice of Jesus was not "limited", but for all men, for all time.

3. God wants all men to be saved, not just a predetermined "elect".

4. Paul did not struggle with sin post conversion.

5. The creation was a literal 6 days (24 hours).

6. There is no such thing as "mental" illness.

7. Time is a measurement between two events.

8. Jesus is God manifested in the flesh.

9. No man is justified by works

10. Salvation is an exchanged life, not a changed life.

:cheers:

There is no such thing as 'mental illness'????!!!!

Well Thank you Mr resident psychologist and neurosurgeon all in one.....I suppose schizophrenia is just a trick of the mind or something, that clinical and manic depression are just not feeling too great....

grief.... :rain:

CRMRC

I don't know, Mystery, but your acceptance of these postmodern ideas about mental disease is so... French. Mystery Foucault it is, Monsieur.

SUTG

I don't know, Mystery, but your acceptance of these postmodern ideas about mental disease is so... French. Mystery Foucault it is, Monsieur.
I'd put him more along the lines of a dumb Derrida, or even an especially idiotic version of Lacan.

Clark Frugal

Thank the Father God most disagree with point number six! no doubt there are interesting points made in those books that Mystery recommended. but this does look like hair-splitting to me. I deal with many children and adults who have real issues in their lives. some behavioral and some physical arrested development, that makes it behavioral.

What profit is there in the semantics of "no mental illness"? this reminds me of the fanatical dogma that we cannot use the word "create" when speaking of works-of-art.

Human life is a gift. And ours is the highest developed nervous system. Enlightenment is our birthright. We can know God consciouseness be it Christian, Muslim, Hinduism, Buddhism, and the like.

But, if our nervous system is not working properly there will be a limitation. Just like blindness, or deafness, or whatever. If the child is not eating properly or getting the proper rest there will be limitations to their development in education and life.

If we eat high-fructose corn syrup and pesticides and chemicals and highly-processed foods that is what we are. we are what we eat.

Those people who are lucky enough to have the ideal environment, ideal organic foods and clothes, ideal physical life get to develop closer to the natural state of joy. But some have no chance of this. most are in the middle of the bell curve.

How cruel to tell the suffering families that there is no mental illness.
Mental illnesses are medical conditions that disrupt a person’s thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others, and daily functioning. Just as diabetes is a disorder of the pancreas, mental illnesses are medical conditions that often result in a diminished capacity for coping with the ordinary demands of life.

Serious mental illnesses include major depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and borderline personality disorder. The good news about mental illness is that recovery is possible.

Mental illnesses can affect persons of any age, race, religion, or income. Mental illnesses are not the result of personal weakness, lack of character, or poor upbringing. Mental illnesses are treatable. Most people diagnosed with a serious mental illness can experience relief from their symptoms by actively participating in an individual treatment plan.
very respectfully, Carl

CRMRC

I'd put him more along the lines of a dumb Derrida, or even an especially idiotic version of Lacan.

I didn't mean to make it sound like his points were of any sort of merit, though I can't help but wonder if Derrida and Lacan would have liked his purposeful use of obtuse reasoning. This would be a hell of a place to deconstruct.

Sharri

Hi Becky!

I affirm that there are brain diseases, but like I said, the mind is not the brain. There are no diseases of the mind. Things do go wrong with the brain, but depression is not a brain disease. It is not a disease at all. Anxiety can make you sick, and it can show up on scans (as you pointed out) with variances in brain activity. In fact, all kinds of emotions can change brain activity, but they are not diseases. That is what the medical profession has been told, and that is what they tell their patients, but the evidence does not support it. There is no biological test to determine that someone has depression.

I don't really want to make several long posts that no one will read, but allow me to give some basics from a biblical perspective. I will start another thread for open discussion Here

Also, I can provide you with several books and articles from some of the leading medical professionals in this country that have debunked the pseudo science of psychiatry. If there is a legitimate problem with the brain, then treat the brain, but that is not what is being done regarding these so-called "mental illnesses". In fact, you only have to go to the websites of anyone who supports the ideas that these "illnesses" exist. They will tell you that counseling is very effective in treating them. Ask your doctor how effective "counseling" is on a real disease. Ask them how effective counseling is on curing diabetes or cancer.

I have spent many years studying this, and I can assure you that the idea of mental illness is one of the biggest hoaxes ever perpetrated on man.

what about pedophiles, and sexual offenders, and so on. Do they have brain disfunctions of some kind or does it stem from anger, can anger take over your mind (or brain)?

Mystery

what about pedophiles, and sexual offenders, and so on. Do they have brain disfunctions of some kind or does it stem from anger, can anger take over your mind (or brain)?
I think Romans 1 does a very good job of showing how depravity sets in when we reject God. Our minds need to be renewed with the truth.

Anger, lust, pride, are all factors that enter in to depravity.

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, that their bodies might be dishonored among them. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; and, although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them."

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Sure!

The mind is not the brain. The mind is not physical (people who reject the existence of the soul or spirit believe that the mind is physical). In order for something to be "ill" or "diseased" there would have to be a measurable diagnosis. The mind does not qualify. Brain diseases are measurable, but those things classified as mental illness are not. You cannot show OCD or schizophrenia in biological tests or autopsies. Fears are the result of an unsound mind, that needs to be renewed with the truth, not the result of a disease.

I can offer more info later, but that is a good place to start.

This simply is not true, mental illness is as real as any illness, and you might want to call it brain illness. The only way to rationalize your weird concept is to argue that all illness is caused by spiritual impoverishment.

Mystery

This simply is not true, mental illness is as real as any illness, and you might want to call it brain illness. The only way to rationalize your weird concept is to argue that all illness is caused by spiritual impoverishment.
You are out of your league, missy. You don't know what the hell you are talking about.

The mind cannot be ill. The mind is not physical, and you can never prove that it is.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I didn't mean to make it sound like his points were of any sort of merit, though I can't help but wonder if Derrida and Lacan would have liked his purposeful use of obtuse reasoning. This would be a hell of a place to deconstruct.

Derrida makes the obtuse apt and poignant and Lacan has a way of making rational thought mundane and obtuse. :chew:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You are out of your league, missy. You don't know what the hell you are talking about.

The mind cannot be ill. The mind is not physical, and you can never prove that it is.

:chew: sonny, you are simple. :chew:

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Some of it is semantics. The spiritual, non-physical, the 'mind', etc. still works in conjunction with our bodies. Spiritual issues due to rebellion against God and sin after the Fall does bring depravity and can affect our physical. The real us (spirit, soul) expresses itself through the body. Our brains can be affected due to our fallen state. This can manifest in the realm of the mind as dysfunction (depend on how we define mind; like most words, mind can have a range of meanings...hence the clashes on this topic).

Mystery

Thank you!

You are darn right I am, and you are not...

"But I am afraid, lest as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds should be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Thank you too!

No I am not simple, rather I am a complex thinker, as much a lawyer as a scientist, at least that was the case before I became ill.