Wireless Protest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Hall of Fame
Whether you know it or not, our world is increasingly becoming more wireless. If you own a wireless laptop, you can cruise around town to various coffee shops, hotels or market centers and get on the internet using available wireless networks.

Each of these wireless networks has a name like the default 'linksys', or some really 'creative' person called their network 'HOME' :hammer:.

Anyways, all this gave me an idea. I live in a downtown area where there are multiple wireless networks available, some secured, some not. So, to get my message out, I just renamed my wireless network for the whole neighborhood to see. I called it...

'ABORTION IS MURDER'.

There's no way for the casual wireless searcher/surfer to get by that SSID. It's there for all to see. It will bug them when they see it.

Layla

Mine's called Neil Young.

All my neighbors' are called rude things. :/ I live near students.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Whether you know it or not, our world is increasingly becoming more wireless. If you own a wireless laptop, you can cruise around town to various coffee shops, hotels or market centers and get on the internet using available wireless networks.

Each of these wireless networks has a name like the default 'linksys', or some really 'creative' person called their network 'HOME' :hammer:.

Anyways, all this gave me an idea. I live in a downtown area where there are multiple wireless networks available, some secured, some not. So, to get my message out, I just renamed my wireless network for the whole neighborhood to see. I called it...

'ABORTION IS MURDER'.

There's no way for the casual wireless searcher/surfer to get by that SSID. It's there for all to see. It will bug them when they see it.

I like it. Let's keep working to stop murder. Will you help IA?

Layla

Er, I live with my family.. I'd have to get a vote on it, and something tells me that they won't be up for that. :p

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Good! So you believe each humans life begins at conception and is worthy of legal protection from that point forth?

Layla

Good! So you believe each humans life begins at conception and is worthy of legal protection from that point forth?

I believe we can't tell when sentience begins, therefore the only acceptable place to draw an arbitrary line is at conception. I do think that abortion should be legislated, though I think the causes of abortion -- the reasons it is in demand -- is a more important issue, and one which will do more to stop abortions happening if dealt with.

Layla

So you were just BS'ing me when you said you were speaking up against abortion.
:rolleyes:

No?

I am against abortion. I think it should be criminalised. Is it somehow wrong to also care about the reasons women want abortions in the first place? To think it's important to try to lower the rates of unwanted pregnancies, so that there is no demand for legal or illegal abortions?

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
I mis-read your post - thats why I deleted it.

Do you think abortion should be a crime and if so what should the punishment be?

What time is it there?

Layla

I mis-read your post - thats why I deleted it.

Ah, ok.

Do you think abortion should be a crime?

I don't really know, honestly. In theory, yes, I think it should be. I don't really know how it would work in practice, though, how we would police underground abortion providers, and punish abortion providers and women getting abortions. I know you'd want them punished with death, but realistically that's not going to happen, and I find it kind of pointless to postulate about things that aren't really possible in our society -- it does nothing to deal with the actual problem at hand. So.. it's a tough one. If someone can come up with legislation against abortion which could actually be put into place, in reality, in the societies we live in, then I would be supportive of it.

As I said, though, I also think it's extremely important that we attempt to deal with the root causes -- why there is such a high demand for abortions, why there is so much unwanted pregnancy, etc. I think the answer is ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.