Why Do We Believe Paul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilstu

Your opinions are unsound.

I've seen people pick and choose which parts of the Bible suit them and some that they want to throw out. You're a cherry-picker to suit your own preconceived ideas. Nothing more.

Luke 6:46 King James Version (KJV)
And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
I can understand that you are comfortable listening to Paul.

HisServant

If Jesus wanted to get rid of unnecessary stuff why didn't he? Why did he allow the Hebrew Scriptures to say these would be forever? How do we really know Paul had the authority to change established policy?

Because there was no Hebrew word that meant forever.... its translators who made the mistake and muddled the waters.

Lilstu

God Already Provided For Gentiles...Why Do We Need Paul?

God Already Provided For Gentiles...Why Do We Need Paul?

God WILL Accept those gentiles that keep his Sabbath and follow his law.

Isaiah 56:6-7
“Also the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord,
To minister to Him, and to love the name of the Lord,
To be His servants, every one who keeps from profaning the Sabbath
And holds fast My covenant;

7 Even those I will bring to My holy mountain
And make them joyful in My house of prayer.
Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be acceptable on My altar;
For My house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That is true...but does make his writing more relevant?

He received his revelation directly from Jesus.

Galatians 1:12 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

Lilstu

He received his revelation directly from Jesus.

Galatians 1:12 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

Fascinating that you should quote that Scripture......

Why did Paul doubt the gospel he preached?

Paul said that he received his gospel directly from Jesus.
11 For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. Galatians 1:11-12

But when Paul met the Apostles in Jerusalem he had doubts concerning his gospel.
1 Then after an interval of fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along also. 2 It was because of a revelation that I went up; and I submitted to them the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but I did so in private to those who were of reputation, for fear that I might be running, or had run, in vain. Galatians 2:1-2

Don't you think it is strange that on the one hand, Paul claimed that he received his gospel directly from Jesus. But on the other hand he found it necessary to submit his gospel to the Apostles in private for fear that he had been preaching in vain?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Fascinating that you should quote that Scripture......

Why did Paul doubt the gospel he preached?

Paul said that he received his gospel directly from Jesus.
11 For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. Galatians 1:11-12

But when Paul met the Apostles in Jerusalem he had doubts concerning his gospel.
1 Then after an interval of fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along also. 2 It was because of a revelation that I went up; and I submitted to them the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but I did so in private to those who were of reputation, for fear that I might be running, or had run, in vain. Galatians 2:1-2

Don't you think it is strange that on the one hand, Paul claimed that he received his gospel directly from Jesus. But on the other hand he found it necessary to submit his gospel to the Apostles in private for fear that he had been preaching in vain?

You're very "DUMB!" How did you become that way?

chair

IMO Paul was dishonest when he fabricated his Anti-Law theology.

Romans 1:17
For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, " BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."...

The Hebrew word often translated as "faith", including the verse in Habakuk is "Emunah", which refers to loyalty, faithfulness, reliability. As in Exodus 17:12 .

NIV says: "his hands remained steady till sunset."
KJV "his hands were steady until the going down of the sun"

Here "Emunah" is translated as "Steady".

See Deuteronomy 32:4 , Psalms 100:4 for other examples of "Emunah" meaning "reliable" , and not "having faith" or "believing".

The same root is translated in Genesis 15:6 as: " And he believed in the Lord", when is should be "he trusted the LORD"

I think the entire concept of "Faith" and "Belief" in the common modern meaning of the terms didn't exist in the Old Testament period.

clefty

The Hebrew word often translated as "faith", including the verse in Habakuk is "Emunah", which refers to loyalty, faithfulness, reliability. As in Exodus 17:12 .

NIV says: "his hands remained steady till sunset."
KJV "his hands were steady until the going down of the sun"

Here "Emunah" is translated as "Steady".

See Deuteronomy 32:4 , Psalms 100:4 for other examples of "Emunah" meaning "reliable" , and not "having faith" or "believing".

The same root is translated in Genesis 15:6 as: " And he believed in the Lord", when is should be "he trusted the LORD"

I think the entire concept of "Faith" and "Belief" in the common modern meaning of the terms didn't exist in the Old Testament period.

It was always faith first then obedience...Noah had faith the flood would come and destroy everything and then began to build the ark...

Abraham had faith first that it was He who demanded his son sacrificed and then obeyed and began the journey to the altar...

It was faith first that He would kill the first born that made the Hebrews obey and kill the lamb and spread the blood on the doors...

Time and time again in the OT the righteous lived by faith...as faith leads to works...

The sacrifices themselves were for UNKOWN sins...never meritous or salvific in and of themselves but merely pleasing as signs of obedience...signs of faith in action

But it was mercy rather than sacrifice which was ultimately the goal...He desired they learned to LOVE as He would...

Ironically they had to lose "their" temple to learn this...

http://ziegler.aju.edu/default.aspx?id=6665

But some here merely claim Paul preached a change in the law...teaching instead another gospel, an anti law gospel...they would slander Paul and make him a hypocrite...Peter warned us they would misuse Paul's writings to do just that...

Paul instead admonished we establish the Law...and to celebrate the festivals with new unleavened bread of truth and sincerity...

Lilstu

A good story gets better with every retelling. Much better!

A good story gets better with every retelling. Much better!

A good story gets better with every retelling. Much better. And the Bible is no exception.
At Acts chapter 9, the Apostle Paul tells the story of his Damascus road experience. We all know the story so I will just copy the words of Jesus as they are written in my NASB. It might help if you follow along in you red letter edition.
Acts 9:4 , "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?"
Acts 9:5-6 , "I am Jesus whom you are persecuting,
but get up and enter the city, and it will be told you what you must do."
At Acts 9, Paul tells a simple story and Jesus has very little to say.
A few years later, Paul retells the story of his Damascus road experience, at Acts 22. Notice how the story gets better and Jesus gets more talkative.
Acts 22:7 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?'
Acts 22:8 'I am Jesus the Nazarene, whom you are persecuting.'
Acts 22:10 'Get up and go on into Damascus, and there you will be told of all that has been appointed for you to do.'
Notice how the story has been told better.
At Acts 9 it was just plain “Jesus’ , now at Acts 22, it is”Jesus the Nazarene”
At Acts 9 it was “enter the city”, now at Acts 22, it is “go on into Damascus”
At Acts 9 it was “it will be told you what you must do." , but at Acts 22 it is “there you will be told of all that has been appointed for you to do.' “
By just examining the words of Jesus you can see how Paul has made the telling of this story better.
Now towards the end of his ministry, Paul tells the story a third time. Follow along Jesus’ words and see how Paul has made this story much better.
Acts 26:14 , 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.'
Acts 26:15 , 'I am Jesus whom you are persecuting.
Acts 26:16-18 'But get up and stand on your feet; for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also to the things in which I will appear to you; rescuing you from the Jewish people and from the Gentiles, to whom I am sending you, to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.'

Wow…Paul has really improved this story. In the early editions of this story Paul only heard a voice. Now Jesus has appeared to him and has a lot more information for Paul. Now Paul has been appointed a minister and a witness.

Lilstu

Paul conspires to lie

Acts 21:20-24
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
20 And when they heard it they began glorifying God; and they said to him, “You see, brother, how many thousands there are among the Jews of those who have believed, and they are all zealous for the Law; 21 and they have been told about you, that you are teaching all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children nor to walk according to the customs. 22 What, then, is to be done? They will certainly hear that you have come. 23 Therefore do this that we tell you. We have four men who are under a vow; 24 take them and purify yourself along with them, and pay their expenses so that they may shave their heads; and all will know that there is nothing to the things which they have been told about you, but that you yourself also walk orderly, keeping the Law.

The truth….you [Paul] are teaching all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children nor to walk according to the customs.

The Lie…all will know that there is nothing to the things which they have been told about you, but that you yourself also walk orderly, keeping the Law.

SimpleMan77

A good story gets better with every retelling. Much better. And the Bible is no exception.
At Acts chapter 9, the Apostle Paul tells the story of his Damascus road experience. We all know the story so I will just copy the words of Jesus as they are written in my NASB. It might help if you follow along in you red letter edition.
Acts 9:4 , "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?"
Acts 9:5-6 , "I am Jesus whom you are persecuting,
but get up and enter the city, and it will be told you what you must do."
At Acts 9, Paul tells a simple story and Jesus has very little to say.
A few years later, Paul retells the story of his Damascus road experience, at Acts 22. Notice how the story gets better and Jesus gets more talkative.
Acts 22:7 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?'
Acts 22:8 'I am Jesus the Nazarene, whom you are persecuting.'
Acts 22:10 'Get up and go on into Damascus, and there you will be told of all that has been appointed for you to do.'
Notice how the story has been told better.
At Acts 9 it was just plain “Jesus’ , now at Acts 22, it is”Jesus the Nazarene”
At Acts 9 it was “enter the city”, now at Acts 22, it is “go on into Damascus”
At Acts 9 it was “it will be told you what you must do." , but at Acts 22 it is “there you will be told of all that has been appointed for you to do.' “
By just examining the words of Jesus you can see how Paul has made the telling of this story better.
Now towards the end of his ministry, Paul tells the story a third time. Follow along Jesus’ words and see how Paul has made this story much better.
Acts 26:14 , 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.'
Acts 26:15 , 'I am Jesus whom you are persecuting.
Acts 26:16-18 'But get up and stand on your feet; for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also to the things in which I will appear to you; rescuing you from the Jewish people and from the Gentiles, to whom I am sending you, to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.'

Wow…Paul has really improved this story. In the early editions of this story Paul only heard a voice. Now Jesus has appeared to him and has a lot more information for Paul. Now Paul has been appointed a minister and a witness.

I guess you have never told a story at different times, and included more details one time than you did the other?

Legally, the only problem would be if there were contradictions. Clearly there aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Status
Not open for further replies.