What say you? Is the Bride the same as the body of Christ?

marke

Alright, thanks to you I stayed up half the night reading the OT, and don't think I missed the message of your choice of verses.

I came up with this: Israel is the Bride. Can't be anything else.
Yes, there is another quite possible interpretation. Christ is the Bridegroom and the Church is His Wife.

Ephesians 1
1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 5
1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;

2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her
husband.

glorydaz

I am not so sure. John the Baptist was not a born-again Christian. He was not part of the New Testament Church. But he was born a Jew.
John the Baptist was not part of the Bride, he was a friend of the Bridegroom.

John 3:28-30​

King James Version​

28 Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him.​

29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.​

30 He must increase, but I must decrease.​

John the Baptist prepared the way....the voice crying in the wilderness.

The bride is Israel or more likely, Jerusalem, so what would John being a Jew have to do with it?

Also, remember, Israel was God's wife to begin with.

Isaiah 54:
4 Fear not; for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame: for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more.
5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.
6 For the LORD hath called thee as a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit, and a wife of youth, when thou wast refused, saith thy God.
7 For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee.

Last edited:

glorydaz

Yes, there is another quite possible interpretation. Christ is the Bridegroom and the Church is His Wife.

Ephesians 1
1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 5
1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;

2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her
husband.
I don't think so. Bride is never mentioned by Paul.

marke

Do you think God would have a wife and a bride?
I suspect you will find that some applications like that could be made. I don't believe the OT Jews are part of the NT body of believers in every way. God was married to the OT Jews, yet He has not yet consummated the marriage of His new Bride in heaven.

Jeremiah 3:14
Turn, O backsliding children, saith the Lord; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

Revelation 19

6 And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

glorydaz

I suspect you will find that some applications like that could be made. I don't believe the OT Jews are part of the NT body of believers in every way. God was married to the OT Jews, yet He has not yet consummated the marriage of His new Bride in heaven.

Jeremiah 3:14
Turn, O backsliding children, saith the Lord; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

Revelation 19

6 And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
Okay, notice in Revelation 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. The Lamb is definitely Jewish, and HIS WIFE has made herself ready.

Israel has always been God's wife. He sorta divorced her a time or two....I'll have to check into the details of all that, it's been a long time. But think about it. Israel is finally accepting the Lord Jesus Christ.

That will happen in these upcoming end days as it describes in Revelation. He has taken His adulterous wife and made her His bride. This might be more specific. A city?

Revelation 21:2
And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

marke

Okay, notice in Revelation 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. The Lamb is definitely Jewish, and HIS WIFE has made herself ready.

Israel has always been God's wife. He sorta divorced her a time or two....I'll have to check into the details of all that, it's been a long time. But think about it. Israel is finally accepting the Lord Jesus Christ.

That will happen in these upcoming end days as it describes in Revelation. He has taken His adulterous wife and made her His bride. This might be more specific. A city?

Revelation 21:2
And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
I have always believed Jesus was talking to Christians when he gave this parable about making sure you have been born of the Spirit and are not just caught up in empty religion.

Matthew 25

6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

glorydaz

I have always believed Jesus was talking to Christians when he gave this parable about making sure you have been born of the Spirit and are not just caught up in empty religion.

Matthew 25

6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
Once again, Jesus was speaking to the lost sheep of Israel.

However, since all scripture is given for our instruction, I think we can safely say that the oil for the lamps was the Holy Spirit, and this sure sounds like that passage in Rev. 19 where the wife was getting herself ready. Interesting.

marke

Once again, Jesus was speaking to the lost sheep of Israel.

However, since all scripture is given for our instruction, I think we can safely say that the oil for the lamps was the Holy Spirit, and this sure sounds like that passage in Rev. 19 where the wife was getting herself ready. Interesting.
Where did the church fit into the bridegroom narrative with the ten virgins?

Right Divider

Body part

Matthew 25

That passage has nothing to do with the body of Christ.

Hoping

Banned
No, look at the context. It's talking about the end days...which means it's talking about Israel.
As it was a parable, you are free to see anything you want in it.
I'll use it personally as a warning to remain diligent in my faithfulness, charity, and love, before our Redeemer returns.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Oh no. Don't go trans on me. ;)
Ephesians 5:32 " This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church." That's the mystery. It's how the Church is the Body of Christ because she is His Bride.