What is the Gospel?

Interplanner

You will have to explain that further.

I think you are mixed up about that parable.

The parable is about forgiving others so that God will forgive us.

No, you are confused about cause and effect. We don't obligate God to forgive us. Rom 11:35 (notice that at the end of explaining things about Israel with all its works!).

If you are talking about the Lord's prayer, yes, there is a sense in which if we don't follow through, then we didn't get it. But that is a proof of, not an obligation on God.

This parable shows that the unmerciful manager never got it. You missed v26. That is a person speaking who didn't get what total imputation of credit on a debt is about. V27 is that it was canceled. You don't feel obligated to pay back canceled things!

But he acted uncanceled, didn't he? He went out and choked the first measily debt-owing person he could find! He could have canceled it, now that his was gone. But his mind was in the way, saying he had to pay it back.

So yes it is about proving that we 'got it' that our debt is canceled. Whoever is forgiven much loves much. But if we don't think we are forgiven or canceled much, we don't love.

The scary thing is: even faith is a gift; it is not of ourselves. Are you prepared to empty yourself that much and say you can't even provide that to the relationship? He has all the 'power' in the relationship.

God's Truth

No, you are confused about cause and effect. We don't obligate God to forgive us. Rom 11:35 (notice that at the end of explaining things about Israel with all its works!).

Just believe what the scriptures plainly say.

Matthew 6:15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

If you are talking about the Lord's prayer, yes, there is a sense in which if we don't follow through, then we didn't get it. But that is a proof of, not an obligation on God.

We have to obey God.

This parable shows that the unmerciful manager never got it. You missed v26. That is a person speaking who didn't get what total imputation of credit on a debt is about. V27 is that it was canceled. You don't feel obligated to pay back canceled things!

But he acted uncanceled, didn't he? He went out and choked the first measily debt-owing person he could find! He could have canceled it, now that his was gone. But his mind was in the way, saying he had to pay it back.

So yes it is about proving that we 'got it' that our debt is canceled. Whoever is forgiven much loves much. But if we don't think we are forgiven or canceled much, we don't love.

This is what Jesus says. Just go by what Jesus says.

35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

The scary thing is: even faith is a gift; it is not of ourselves. Are you prepared to empty yourself that much and say you can't even provide that to the relationship? He has all the 'power' in the relationship.

Faith is from God, from reading His powerful message, the Bible, the New Testament. It has the powerful message that saves. We do not get faith supernaturally, as many teach, but we get faith in a very human way, from reading the supernatural message!

Where does our faith come from? Our faith comes from HEARING the word, see Romans 10:17. From hearing the word and being TAUGHT, Colossians 1:5, 7. From continuing in what we have been CONVINCED of, see 2 Timothy 3:14, and being PERSUADED, 2 Corinthians 5:11.

beloved57

Just believe what the scriptures plainly say.

Matthew 6:15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

We have to obey God.

This is what Jesus says. Just go by what Jesus says.

35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

Faith is from God, from reading His powerful message, the Bible, the New Testament. It has the powerful message that saves. We do not get faith supernaturally, as many teach, but we get faith in a very human way, from reading the supernatural message!

Where does our faith come from? Our faith comes from HEARING the word, see Romans 10:17. From hearing the word and being TAUGHT, Colossians 1:5, 7. From continuing in what we have been CONVINCED of, see 2 Timothy 3:14, and being PERSUADED, 2 Corinthians 5:11.
Those Christ lived and died for are made righteous by His one obedience Rom 5:19 !

God's Truth

You don't believe in the same Jesus that I do, for the Jesus I believe in those He died for are reconciled to God and made righteous Rom 5:10,19!

1 Timothy 4:10 That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.

beloved57

1 Timothy 4:10 That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.
You don't believe that scripture if you don't believe TULIP to be True! What does the L stand for in TULIP?

PureX

Question: Should Christians use Jesus' definition of the gospel? Or should Christians stick to the "gospel of salvation?"
The gospel as I understand it is this: the revelation that God's love acting in us and through us to others, will heal us and save us from ourselves. And if enough of us will accept this realization, and live out that love within, the whole world will be healed through us.

That's it. The rest is just religion. And I, personally, am not interested in religion.

Robert Pate

Banned
Most of my life, I've heard the "gospel" described as "Jesus dying for our sins so we can be saved." Yet when I read the statements of Jesus in the Bible, they say something different. For example:

Matthew 4:23*Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming*the gospel of the kingdom,and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people.

Matthew 9:35*Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming*the gospel of the kingdom,and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.

Matthew 10:5-7*These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: “Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go,*preach,saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Mark 1:14-15*Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee,*preaching the gospel of God,and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and*the kingdom of God is at hand;repent and believe*in the gospel.”

These passages seem to indicate that Jesus defined His good news (gospel), as the soon coming Kingdom of God. And here is something else. In the NASB, Jesus uses the word "saved" eleven times; while Heuses the word "salvation" only two times. However, Jesus uses the phrase "Kingdom of God" 50 times, while He uses the phrase "Kingdom of Heaven" 29 times. Thus Jesus emphasized the God's Kingdom far more than He did salvation.

Question: Should Christians use Jesus' definition of the gospel? Or should Christians stick to the "gospel of salvation?"

There is the "Kingdom Gospel". It is the good news that the king has arrived. This Gospel has nothing to do with the salvation of fallen man.

And then there is Paul's Gospel. it is the Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. This is the "Historical Gospel" that saves us from our sins.

If you want to learn more about the Gospel read the writings of the apostle Paul.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1 Corinthians 15:1-4King James Version (KJV)

1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

beloved57

There is the "Kingdom Gospel". It is the good news that the king has arrived. This Gospel has nothing to do with the salvation of fallen man.

And then there is Paul's Gospel. it is the Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. This is the "Historical Gospel" that saves us from our sins.

If you want to learn more about the Gospel read the writings of the apostle Paul.

False teaching and comments !

Truster

Jesus was preaching to the lost sheep of Israel; NOT Gentiles yet. AFTER Jesus was crucified, buried and resurrected and AFTER He ascended, Jesus returned to many. He returned to Paul separately and gave Paul the gospel of our Salvation. whatever you do, don't listen to God's Truth. don't listen to me either except the part about God's Truth. others will tell you - :patrol:

Matthew 8:5-13

5And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him,

6And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented.

7And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him.

8The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.

9For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.

10When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

11And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

12But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

13And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.

Mark 7:25-30

25For a certain woman, whose young daughter had an unclean spirit, heard of him, and came and fell at his feet:

26The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation; and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter.

27But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs.

28And she answered and said unto him, Yes, Lord: yet the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs.

29And he said unto her, For this saying go thy way; the devil is gone out of thy daughter.

30And when she was come to her house, she found the devil gone out, and her daughter laid upon the bed.

Ben Masada

What is the Gospel?

The gospel is the plan of salvation Jesus forbade his disciples to take it unto the Gentiles but to the Jews only. (Mat. 10:5,6; 15:24) I wonder because he was well aware that the Jews had been assigned as light unto the Gentiles. (Isa. 42:6) And from his sermon of the Mount to a crowd of Jews, he said to the Jews, "You are the light of the world." (Mat. 5:14)