What If Love Is NOT An Emotion

Aimiel

The 'works' of the flesh are:

adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like

This says NOTHING about emotions (pity, compassion, kindness to strangers, etc.) which we use to further ourselves in The Kingdom and bring others to The Love of Christ, which is in Christians. We are to use our emotions and to be human, it is the things we are told are the 'works' of the flesh we are to abstain from, which ALL Christians do. We are to put others ahead of ourselves and it takes compassion to do that which is an emotion The Holy Spirit births in us. Without Him directing our compassion we will use it wrongly and give our affections to the wrong people.

rougueone

It is most certainly not an emotion.

Emotions result from actions of the will or some external stimuli.

Love, that is, God's love, agape is a decision of the mind to love.

========EXACTLY, LOVE is a choice first ============

Emotions come into play of course. But always, love is a choice.

OCTOBER23

SQUEAKY said,

What ? do you hate your parents?
------------------------------------
Matthew 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy

of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

EPHESIANS 1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)

3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
LOVE IS KEEPING THE COMMANDMENTS.

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience,

kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments:

SQUEAKY said,

So, loving Jesus is most important.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
The 'works' of the flesh are:

adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like

This says NOTHING about emotions (pity, compassion, kindness to strangers, etc.) which we use to further ourselves in The Kingdom and bring others to The Love of Christ, which is in Christians. We are to use our emotions and to be human, it is the things we are told are the 'works' of the flesh we are to abstain from, which ALL Christians do. We are to put others ahead of ourselves and it takes compassion to do that which is an emotion The Holy Spirit births in us. Without Him directing our compassion we will use it wrongly and give our affections to the wrong people.

I said
Them are not emotions. Pity, compassion, kindness are affections.
the works of the flesh are emotions.

AFFECTIONS (CALM DELIGHT JOY,SHAME,WEEPING,Pity ADORN OR SADNESS AND COMPASSION) (NO DESIRE OR NEED)
(FROM YOUR SOUL, YOUR INNER MAN)
Phil 2:1-2
1 Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy,
2 fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
Col 3:12-14
12 Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering;
13 bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.
14 But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection.
Phile 1:7
7 For we have great joy and consolation in your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed by you, brother.
2 Cor 6:12
12 You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted by your own passions.
1Thes 2:4-8
4 But as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, even so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God who tests our hearts.
5 For neither at any time did we use flattering words, as you know, nor a cloak for covetousness-- God is witness.
6 Nor did we seek glory from men, either from you or from others, when we might have made demands as apostles of Christ.
7 But we were gentle among you, just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children.
8 So, affectionately longing for you, we were well pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God, but also our own lives, because you had become dear to us.
Rom 12:10-13
10 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
11 not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
12 rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;
13 distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality.
Col 3:5
5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
Phil 1:2-8
2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you,
4 always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy,
5 for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now,
6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;
7 just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers with me of grace.
8 For God is my witness, how greatly I long for you all with the affection of Jesus Christ.
John 11:35
35 Jesus wept.
Luke 19:41
41 Now as He drew near, He saw the city and wept over it,
Rom 12:15
15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
John 20:11
11 But Mary stood outside by the tomb weeping, and as she wept she stooped down and looked into the tomb.
Mark 14:72
72 And a second time the rooster crowed. Then Peter called to mind the word that Jesus had said to him, "Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny Me three times." And when he thought about it, he wept.
2 Tim 1:1-5
1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,
2 To Timothy, a beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
3 I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience, as my forefathers did, as without ceasing I remember you in my prayers night and day,
4 greatly desiring to see you, being mindful of your tears, that I may be filled with joy,
5 when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also.
(NKJ)
xxx You have an inner man, and an outer person. Your inner man is your spirit and soul. Your spirit is the mind of your inner man and your soul is the body of your inner man. Affections come from your soul. Your outer person is where all other spirits dwell. Your guardian angel, the devil, your emotions(unclean spirits) and even the Holy Spirit. When you think your inner man is listening to everybody elses opinions inside yourself. And your inner man makes a choice of which one to follow.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
SQUEAKY said,

I said

Luke 14:26-27
26 "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.
27 "And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.
(NKJ)

rougueone

What If YOU Accepted Your Emotions?

Very good insight. Emotions can and have led a large number of people into trouble. I am not discounting emotions though. There are good emotions, love can emit good emotions. I have often wept while conversing and or praising Holy Jesus. I have been angry. And hurt. love can and does stir emotions. Compassion, humor, Et... But we have to keep our emotions finely tuned to the obedience of God.

For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
. 2 Corin. 10:4

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Phil. 4:6-7

But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, ...

These are a result of " EMOTIONS". And they start in the mind....bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ[/B]. Thus the reason we are to " think" take captive very thought, so we do not react in a way that can be sin. " thinking ahead to the obediance of Jesus. Are we going to love the person who hurt us? Will I let jealously get me in trouble? ET....
gallations 5:16

Last edited:

rougueone

I said

Luke 14:26-27
26 "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.
27 "And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.
(NKJ)

A metaphor. Luke14:26-27, goes hand in hand with....

2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise

3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth

IE: Jesus first. remember the first Apostles left their families for Jesus.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Very good insight. Emotions can and have led a large number of people into trouble. I am not discounting emotions though. There are good emotions, love can emit good emotions. I have often wept while conversing and or praising Holy Jesus. I have been angry. And hurt. love can and does stir emotions. Compassion, humor, Et... But we have to keep our emotions finely tuned to the obedience of God.

For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
. 2 Corin. 10:4

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Phil. 4:6-7

But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, ...

gallations 5:16

I said
Go back and read the revelation on affections. It appears you don't know the difference between emotions and affections.

rougueone

I said
Go back and read the revelation on affections. It appears you don't know the difference between emotions and affections.

Emotions trigger affection.
A positive emotion leads to a positive affection....For example, caring for somebody that is sick requires an effort and it is a way of providing affection.

Affection is something that flows among people, something that one gives and one receives. Based on emotions.

And bad emotions can lead to bad affections. Strife, anger, jealousy, ET....

Such as humor. Good emotions. Which leads to laughter as our emotions ignited our affection.

Hope this helps.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Emotions trigger affection.
A positive emotion leads to a positive affection....For example, caring for somebody that is sick requires an effort and it is a way of providing affection.

Affection is something that flows among people, something that one gives and one receives. Based on emotions.

And bad emotions can lead to bad affections. Strife, anger, jealousy, ET....

Such as humor. Good emotions. Which leads to laughter as our emotions ignited our affection.

Hope this helps.

I said
Your a little backwards. Your inner man is your spirit and soul. And that is inside your outer man. Your spirit is the mind of your inner man. Your soul is the body of your inner man. Your affections come from your soul. Your emotions are unclean spirits that abide in your outer person.

Ps82

I said
Passion is an emotion. Affections are different. Emotions push us to an action. Affections don't. If someone is emotional they cant hear the Holy Spirit.

Gal 5:16-25
16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.
18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,
21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
(NKJ)

I agree that emotions get in the way of hearing the Holy Spirit, but it is not the only thing ... there are many things in this world that can get in the way.

Nice to find you still around on TOL. I haven't been visiting for a long time.

God's Truth

Love is an emotion. It is a feeling. Fear is an emotion, and it is a feeling. Anyone who keeps arguing against this fact is unstable in their thinking.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
I agree that emotions get in the way of hearing the Holy Spirit, but it is not the only thing ... there are many things in this world that can get in the way.

Nice to find you still around on TOL. I haven't been visiting for a long time.

I said
Its nice to see you to. I hope you have been blessed. There are some on here that still try to justify emotions.