ECT What constitutes it being the Body of Christ?

Cross Reference

Which church?

There's more than one?

A for the tongues thing, didn't you see this post..............

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4250432&postcount=1382

Thank you. No I didn't. [I took the liberty to correct your 1 Cor passage reference to mean 1 Cor 14 and not 15.]

In 1Cor 14:21-22 Paul says.... In the law it is written: "With men of other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people; And yet, for all that, they will not hear Me," says the Lord. Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers.

Tongues are not for the intellectually religious self assured but for the broken and contrite of heart who realize they are a needy people desperate to know the love of God.

It is a reference to Isaiah 28:11-12 For with stammering lips and another tongue He will speak to this people, To whom He said, "This is the rest with which You may cause the weary to rest," And, "This is the refreshing"; Yet they would not hear. where the people refused to receive instruction from the Lord, and so they would go back to the basics.

Again, they would not hear because of their unwillingness to live unto God.

And so the sign is negative to those who do not believe. The people rejected the word of the Lord, and so they were forced to listen to gentiles who were ruling over them speaking in foreign languages. They refused to listen to God, and were unable to understand the tongues of the gentiles, and this was a sign that the word of God spoken against them had come true. They refused to listen to God (unbelievers) and couldn't understand the foreign tongues.
The idea is to not speak in tongues publicly without there being an interpretation, otherwise the tongue will only be negative to those who are unbelievers, rather than being edified. God is still speaking to people, he hasn't given them up.

I can't agree that that is a correct understanding of the situation since Isa 28:13 gives the afterwards of their rejection.

Apparently you have never been in a meeting where no interpreter was present when one, by the overwhelming presence of God, brought a message in an unknown tongue to have it interpreted by a newly gifted interpreter. . . :)

andyc

Thank you. No I didn't. [I took the liberty to correct your 1 Cor passage reference to mean 1 Cor 14 and not 15.]

In 1Cor 14:21-22 Paul says.... In the law it is written: "With men of other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people; And yet, for all that, they will not hear Me," says the Lord. Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers.

Tongues are not for the intellectually religious self assured but for the broken and contrite of heart who realize they are a needy people desperate to know the love of God.

Again, they would not hear because of their unwillingness to live unto God.

I can't agree that that is a correct understanding of the situation since Isa 28:13 gives the afterwards of their rejection.

Apparently you have never been in a meeting where no interpreter was present when one, by the overwhelming presence of God, brought a message in an unknown tongue to have it interpreted by a newly gifted interpreter. . . :)

No probs. Tongues is not the related to the to the thread subject, so I won't go into it here.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Is it His physical body or a group of people or what? I am looking for preciseness as much as possible that it can be called His Body.

His own body is in Heaven.

His future Bride is on earth.(and in it)

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Eph 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
Eph 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
Eph 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Eph 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Holy Spirit dwells in those who have placed their total
faith in Christ as their Savior, been sealed and baptized by
the Holy Spirit into the "Body of Christ!" Not a water baptism,
I might add!

Christ returns for His Bride.

"Those who place their total faith in Christ' is a phase not known of in the Bible.

It amounts to works of self effort.

Paul was water baptized to wash away His sins.

To speak against Gods way of salvation for man is to speak against Christ and ALL of the Apostles.

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

LA

Cross Reference

True or not true:

The only man who has the right to say that he has been sealed by the Holy Spirit is the man who has left all to follow Christ.

andyc

OK. So don't leave me hanging, give your reason why?

[Personally, I don't believe you have given it much thought]

The initial requirement is to believe. Then the Holy Spirit indwells the believer, and this is understood as circumcision of the heart, which is the seal of ownership.
It then ought to be the desire of any believer to present themselves a living sacrifice, however, this doesn't lead to being sealed, it is a love response.

Last edited:

Cross Reference

The initial requirement is to believe. Then the Holy Spirit indwells the believer, and this is understood as circumcision of the heart, which is the seal of ownership.
It then ought to be the desire of any believer to present themselves a living sacrifice, however, this is doesn't lead to being sealed, it is a love response.

Not hardly when it is us who do the cutting.

The OP asks the deeper question.

andyc

Those verses are unrelated.
The seal of ownership is solely a work of the Holy Spirit, and the only requirement is to believe.

Ephesians 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Cross Reference

Those verses are unrelated.

I don't think so.

The seal of ownership is solely a work of the Holy Spirit, and the only requirement is to believe.

So what do I do after I believe, whatever that means, that seals the deal?

Ephesians 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,

What does that mean if not discipleship?

andyc

CR.....In order to receive what's promised, the requirement is to believe. What happens after that is unrelated.

It's a bit like buying a car. If you can afford to buy it, you receive the title, but we can't afford salvation, and so Christ bought the title for us if we'll come to him with a repentant heart full of faith to receive it.

Cross Reference

CR.....In order to receive what's promised, the requirement is to believe. What happens after that is unrelated.

No. The requirement is obedience __ and then the fulfillment. First the natural and then the spiritual. The OT screams this __ even Jesus.

It's a bit like buying a car. If you can afford to buy it, you receive the title, but we can't afford salvation, and so Christ bought the title for us if we'll come to him with a repentant heart full of faith to receive it.

For those who understand the issues know they can't afford NOT to be saved and are willing to sell all to "buy the field".

andyc

No. The requirement is obedience __ and then the fulfillment. First the natural and then the spiritual. The OT screams this.

I've got my new testament ear pugs in, so can't hear it ;)

For those who understand the issues know they can't afford NOT to be saved and are willing to sell all to "buy the field".

My heavenly real estate agent gave me mine.

andyc

Gave you what __ if not in promise form?

Everything.

We are heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ. If you do not understand that everything we receive is by faith, I'm concerned about what denomination you are, because you cannot earn any of it.

Cross Reference

Everything.

"Promise form". Learn that term so you can more readily connect the dots.

We are heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ

Right and the Children of Israel went directly into the "promised" land without having a wilderness experience. Jesus didn't have one either.

If you do not understand that everything we receive is by faith, I'm concerned about what denomination you are, because you cannot earn any of it.

But I didn't say it wasn't received by faith. And what I am concerned about is that you can't get beyond the issue of salvation to understand the more of it all in the Father after being born again. Perhaps you aren't and that's the problem.

Isaiah 48:17–18 (KJV 1900)

"Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel;

I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit,
Which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.
O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments!
Then had thy peace been as a river,
And thy righteousness as the waves of the sea:
O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments!
Then had thy peace been as a river,
And thy righteousness as the waves of the sea"