ECT Water or No Water?

turbosixx

There's a parallel between Jesus and Moses, Christians are said to be baptized into Jesus, just like the Jews are baptized into Moses as Paul said.

Hades resembles the sea, baptism means we are going to be buried in such a sea of water. Baptism has another more important meaning, which is we will be pulled out of water which signifies the resurrection raising us from death/water. After resurrection we will be gathered in/under the clouds (the rapture). As a result, water represents that we are buried through death while clouds may signify that we will be raised with life.

The parallel:
Moses as a great prophet of the Jews, led the Jews going across the Red Sea, finally reaching the promised land for the Jews - Canaan.

Jesus as the greatest prophet of all time, will lead humans going across the sea of Hades, finally reaching the promised land for humans - the new earth and new heaven.

I agree Moses does parallel Jesus. That is why Paul uses something they can relate to.

1 Cor. 10:6 Now these things happened as examples for us,

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
More important is Paul's doctrine that baptism symbolises being buried into Christ's death and being raised to newness of life.

This can only apply to water baptism.

turbosixx

I don't see any water contact there... if anything the people should be grateful that there wasn't or they would have been in a heap of trouble.

Just as Jesus second baptism did not include water either, of which Christians are partakers also. (Jesus referred to his DBR as a baptism which transformed him).

I understand you don't see contact and therefore would like to claim "no water". If Paul was not trying to make the point of water, why would Paul state twice, the cloud and the sea. Couldn't he have just as easily said, they were baptized into Moses crossing on dry ground or not even mentioned the cloud and sea which are both made of water?

Is there water in this baptism?
Matt. 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them

HisServant

Show me HS baptism in scripture.

John the Baptist foretold it... and the Apostles had a problem understanding it.

John's baptism was temporary... one greater than him was going to come and baptize with fire and the holy spirit... the greater one than him came.

turbosixx

John the Baptist foretold it... and the Apostles had a problem understanding it.

John's baptism was temporary... one greater than him was going to come and baptize with fire and the holy spirit... the greater one than him came.

If it's how we are saved then we should see it as the norm.

turbosixx

What are you expecting to see?

I am making some assumptions based on some things you say and what is current popular understanding, so I hope I'm not misunderstanding you.

You said, "I disagree, Holy Spirit baptism is more appropriate to that".

If HS baptism is how we die, are buried and resurrected with Christ and not water baptism, then I would think we would see that, but I see no mention of it aside from John the Baptist.

If you are seeing it, I'm curious where.

Last edited:

DAN P

turbosixx; If HS baptism is how we die said:
Hi , it is FOUND only in Paul's letter to the Rom 6:3-5 and if that is not clear and need clarification , I can break down each verse for you !!

dan p

DAN P

How do you know that is HS baptism?

Hi and in the KJV , it reads , Know ye not that so many of us as were BAPTIZO / BAPTIZED into Jesus Christ were BAPTIZO / BAPTIZED into His death !!

I see you question that LYING KJV writing !!

Must be an other GOOF by the Holy Spirit , you say ??

You Pentecostals ALL seem to not believe what God has written , don't you !!:rotfl::rotfl:

dan p

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I disagree, Holy Spirit baptism is more appropriate to that.

Paul says "for this is what baptism signifies" being baptized in the Holy Spirit is an event in our lives, something that happens to us, it is not a symbol for something.

Water Baptism signifies our being buried with Christ and raised to newness of life, it is for testimony. It is an ordinance of the church along with the Lord's Supper.

turbosixx

Hi and in the KJV , it reads , Know ye not that so many of us as were BAPTIZO / BAPTIZED into Jesus Christ were BAPTIZO / BAPTIZED into His death !!

I see you question that LYING KJV writing !!

Must be an other GOOF by the Holy Spirit , you say ??

You Pentecostals ALL seem to not believe what God has written , don't you !!:rotfl::rotfl:

dan p

I believe it just as it reads. Baptism is how we are added to Christ and die with Christ. In what way did Jesus teach the apostles to make Christians?

Matt. 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

Peter seemed to think baptism is how we are added to Christ. Even after the Gentiles were baptized by the HS (one of only two in the NT), he commanded that they be water baptized.

Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

turbosixx

It is an ordinance of the church along with the Lord's Supper.

If it's an "ordinance" of the church, why is it that all conversions, with any detail, end in baptism?

Is this the implication? ""Now that your a Christian you must observe this church ordinance, right now."

Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.

Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

turbosixx

What are you expecting to see?

I would suggest to you that HS baptism only happened twice in the NT and was a special situation both times. Yes, Christians receive the HS as a seal but are not baptized with it as many would have us believe. Scripture just doesn't support that view.

In Acts 11 Peter is telling what happened with the FIRST Gentile converts.

11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

If Peter has been converting people since Pentecost, why would he say "as on us at the beginning"? Wouldn't he have seen this all along? If people have been "baptized with the HS" since Pentecost, why would he have to remember Jesus' words, shouldn't it be the norm for him by now?

God's Truth

Water baptism is a ceremony, not much unlike a wedding ceremony. Water baptism is symbolic for what has already happened in the heart.

Water baptism is when we promise to God that we will die to sins and live like Jesus.

1 Peter 3:20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.

God's Truth

I would suggest to you that HS baptism only happened twice in the NT and was a special situation both times. Yes, Christians receive the HS as a seal but are not baptized with it as many would have us believe. Scripture just doesn't support that view.

Baptism mean immersed. We ARE immersed with the Holy Spirit when we are saved.

God's Truth

I believe it just as it reads. Baptism is how we are added to Christ and die with Christ. In what way did Jesus teach the apostles to make Christians?

Matt. 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

Peter seemed to think baptism is how we are added to Christ. Even after the Gentiles were baptized by the HS (one of only two in the NT), he commanded that they be water baptized.

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

We are added, saved, before, during, or after water baptism.

We can be given the Holy Spirit before, during, or after water baptism.

God's Truth

Water baptism is a ceremony, it is symbolic of what has already happened in our heart.

Baptism represents how a believer equates his life with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. Our old person is to die and be buried with Jesus through baptism into death. We are buried with the water, and raised out of the water, raised to live a new life through Jesus.

Picture how baptism looks…the believer comes to make the pledge to God, to die to the sins of the world; so now standing in the water the believer falls back, as if dead; then, the believer goes under the water, buried; then, the believer rises up out of the water, raises up to live a new life.

Romans explain this perfectly.

Romans 6:4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.