Was Jesus real?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Again. If you want to believe in Jesus, his resurrection, his being God, whatever- go ahead. If you want me to believe it, you will need some solid evidence. The fact that millions of Christians believe it isn't good enough. Why?
1. They don't even claim that there is objective evidence (unlike scientists, who do claim that, and can produce the evidence)
2. Christian beliefs have no advantage over other religions. Islam has millions of believers too.

Actually, we do claim there is evidence.

But tell us: If Jesus did rise from the dead, what evidence would be seen today?

chair

People who reject Christ will say anything to justify their rebellion.

"Reject?" I don't even consider him. If you want me to consider him seriously, then provide some evidence for your claims. Then I can accept or reject him, or more precisely, your myths about him.

The default isn't "Christianity is true", and more than "Islam is true", or "Bahai is true". You need to provide the evidence.

chair

Actually, we do claim there is evidence.

But tell us: If Jesus did rise from the dead, what evidence would be seen today?

1. Let's hear the evidence.
2. I'd expect to see Him walking around. Please note: Many groups have legends and myths about their leaders. It does not make the stories true. A legend about somebody seeing him after the Resurrection is a legend, not evidence.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1. Let's hear the evidence.
2. I'd expect to see Him walking around. Please note: Many groups have legends and myths about their leaders. It does not make the stories true. A legend about somebody seeing him after the Resurrection is a legend, not evidence.

What do you think of the eyewitness accounts of the Gospels. Do you accept or reject them?

Hedshaker

I understand, but please either have a dialogue with the evidence that was brought forth and bring in your own evidence. Only please don't say that there is no evidence for a historical Jesus yet fail to bring in any evidence for there not being one when evidence is brought forth that there is one. I do not desire hear say and straight denial without dialogue with an argument on my thread. I desire a structured intellectual and respectful discussion. Doesn't mean that we all have to agree, but we all have the responsibility to dialogue with any evidence brought up and not skirt past the issue. Thank you.

And like I say, the evidence can be read either way, equally. If I'm reading you right you seem to be only interested in interpreting it in a way that supports your cherished beliefs. But there is no contemporary, extra-Biblical evidence that supports that view without looking at it through Christian tinted glasses. If Tacitus and Josephus were both contemporaneous then it would be different. But they're not so their testimony isn't historically reliable. Bummer!

I don't know what your problem is. You have your book. Just take it on faith. This argument has been raging on for centuries and isn't going to get settled here.

OCTOBER23

JZYGOTE,

WAIT TILL 2025 AND I WILL INTRODUCE YOU TO JESUS
IF YOU ARE STILL ALIVE AFTER NIBIRU CAUSES A POLE SHIFT
AND THE OCEANS DROWN MILLIONS OF PEOPLE.

See you there ......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

GuySmiley

"Reject?" I don't even consider him. If you want me to consider him seriously, then provide some evidence for your claims. Then I can accept or reject him, or more precisely, your myths about him.

The default isn't "Christianity is true", and more than "Islam is true", or "Bahai is true". You need to provide the evidence.
You have almost 1600 posts on a Christian forum and you haven't even considered the truth of Christianity? :kookoo::doh:

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sorry but, whether you want or not, you support Replacement Theology and I tell you how:

The Magna Carta of RT - Gal. 4:21-31

&. Needless to remind of, RT stands for Replacement Theology.

1. Gal. 4:21 - It means that the Church of Galatia used to be a Nazarene synagogue which Paul had overturned into a Christian church.

2. Gal. 4:22 - Abraham had two sons: Ishmael with Agar and Isaac with Sarah.

3. Gal. 4:23 - Ishmael was born after the flesh and Isaac was born after the promise.

4. Gal. 4:24 - Two Covenants: The Jewish one points to bondange after Agar.

5. Gal. 4:25 - Agar points to Jerusalem in bondage under the Jews.

6. Gal. 4:26 - The Promised Jerusalem from above is free and the mother of Christianity.

7. Gal. 4:27 - Christians must rejoice as Sarah for mothering many more children aka Christians.

8. Gal. 4:28 - Christians, after Isaac, are the children of the promise in Jesus.

9. Gal. 4:29 - Jews who are born after the flesh persecute Christians who are born of the spirit.

10. Gal. 4:30 - Scripture says to cast out Agar aka the Jewish covenant and her son aka the Jews for they shall not be heir with Isaac aka Christians, the son of Sarah aka Christianity.

11. Gal. 4:31 - Christians are not children of Agar, the bond woman but of Sarah the free one.

12. Conclusion - Can any one still claim that there is no RT in the New Testament? Hardly!

Nothing in the passage says that the church replaces Israel. Indeed, it is obvious that the passage is talking of spiritual things: nothing prevents Jews from believing in Jesus and becoming heirs of Abraham, who believed and was accredited as righteous before he was circumcised as well as being heirs of Abraham according to the flesh by being circumcised.
Whether or not the Jews are the covenant people of God is matter between you and God and nothing to do with the Bible or Christians. Christians believe, as Paul taught, that in Christ (i.e. through faith in him) there is no distinction between Jew and non-Jew because they have been merged into one new man. This does not mean that there is now no longer any Jew or that Christians have replaced Jews. Neither does it mean that in order tobecome Christian a Jew must abandon his Jewishness. It just means that in the church, we don't see Jews any differently to the way we see non-Jews. The distinction is obsolete.

Paul is speaking metaphorically, (see v 24), encouraging those who still think that being Jewish saves them or who think that keeping the law saves them, to escape from such bondage and become heirs of Abraham through their faith. He isn't saying that they must abandon their Jewishness.

The issue exists very much today with the fanatics in Israel who think that because God promised them the land that they have a right to it. That being Jewish somehow makes them better than others and gives them a right to be violent. That is the same bondage as Paul is describing. Wanting something better for Jews is not replacement theology.

chair

You mean the stories of eyewitness accounts in the Gospels?

Exactly. The legends of a particular religion are not going to convince an outsider of anything. I do not expect Rexlunae to become Jewish based on my traditions.

chair

You have almost 1600 posts on a Christian forum and you haven't even considered the truth of Christianity? :kookoo::doh:

And it looks like another 1600 won't change things either. I have yet to hear anything here that is even remotely worth looking at.

RevTestament

And it looks like another 1600 won't change things either. I have yet to hear anything here that is even remotely worth looking at.

Isa 42:18 Hear, ye deaf; and look, ye blind, that ye may see.

19 Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the Lord’s servant?

20 Seeing many things, but thou observest not; opening the ears, but he heareth not.

21 The Lord is well pleased for his righteousness’ sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.