toldailytopic: If you have ever changed your religion, what where some of the reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Can you state in specific terms what you think the differences are? What separates Catholicism from Protestantism that makes it an entirely different religion instead of just something like a denomination within Christianity?
I base it on how most people answer the question, "What religion are you?" The most common response is I'm Catholic
Baptist
Evangelical
etc.

Can you state in specific terms what you think the differences are? What separates Catholicism from Protestantism that makes it an entirely different religion instead of just something like a denomination within Christianity?
I see very little difference between Catholicism and Protestantism. I don't see either one of them being in line with Biblical Christianity. They have both evolved, and in my view are both apostate.

Selaphiel

I went from atheism to Christianity a year or two after I started to study Christianity as a part of my degree in religion (to become a teacher). Only problem was that I became so fascinated by the studies that I never left the faculty of theology, so next year I will graduate as a theologian (6 year degree) and start working as a minister.
The studies showed me that Christian thought is indeed deep and profound, not naive and simple as I once foolishly thought.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I base it on how most people answer the question, "What religion are you?" The most common response is I'm Catholic
Baptist
Evangelical
etc.

That's fair, and makes sense. I still probably wouldn't actually classify them as different religions though. But in common usage, yes.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I see very little difference between Catholicism and Protestantism. I don't see either one of them being in line with Biblical Christianity. They have both evolved, and in my view are both apostate.

By Protestantism I basically meant anything other than Catholic.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I switched from catholic to charismatic when I was about 7? because my parents did. My grandmother is still mad I'm sure, God rest her soul. :)
My big change for real, was going from charismatic Acts 2, to Acts 9 Dispie. Not sure anymore, maybe around 8 years ago?
Started questioning everything cause of Bob George, then Bob Enyart basically pulled the rug out from under me. lol (in a good way...)

(added in edit) I didnt really answer the op question. "the reason" The mid-Acts view brings so many things together and answers so many disputes I just don't see any alternative.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I've been a Christian my entire life. I have recognized that people have differing beliefs within Christianity, and had to sort out my own. I still have questions, for example, on why we have abandoned God's law or substituted another for it. I know that a Christian is under grace and not under law, but I also know that grace is not a license to sin.

Shalom,

Jacob

Dena

1. I didn't like the idea of worshiping Jesus
2. I couldn't conceive of a God who would throw his children into hell
3. Why would God need someone to come between us?
4. It doesn't make sense for God to sacrifice himself, to himself, to appease himself.
5. I like to be able to see the Torah from different points and view and perspectives without being told I'm rebellious

Among a myriad of other reasons that I don't care to discuss here.

Wanda Short

I was raised Lutheran. Then became a Calvinist and went to a PCA church. Then embraced fulfilled redemption so now I am a preterist. Always was a Christian, always will be.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

If you have ever changed your religion,
what where some of the reasons you did so?

I really cannot contribute much to this discussion, but I would like to add . . .

I was raised in the Christian church.
Mom took us to a small Christian community church when i was a kid.
Dad was a Mason, but it wasn’t for me.
I discovered God does not have grandchildren.
So I got saved, born again, renewed, regenerated, etc.
I have really never had a reason or thought about leaving Christianity.

My changes and issues came within the Christian church fellowship,
with in Christianity I have . . .

Attended
The Church of the Open Door, founder R. A. Torrey
The Open Bible Standard Church, similar to the AoG
Independent Baptist Church​

Past member of the AoG, resigned membership because of missionary issues
Inactive member of the Foursquare Church, because of missionary issues

1979 to currently, Chaplain (interdenominational) through an Christian independent organization, NHM.​

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, to make a long story short, my ex-mother-in-law attended the same church I had been a member of since the age of 12. She made it her mission to gossip and play the *victim* card in hopes that people in the congregation would feel the need to choose sides even though her son had NEVER been a member of our church.

What does that have to do with God?

:thumb:

I left the Charismatic / Pentecostal cult to also be in the Body of Christ.

I stopped being a part of the Pentecostal religion after actually reading the Bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.