This 'Generation' Shall Not Pass Away Till All Be Fulfilled

Jerry Shugart

Let us look at this passage:

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Verily I say unto you, This generation (genea) shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled" (Lk.21:27-32).​

Since the Lord Jesus has not yet returned to the earth it is certain that the generation (genea) who lived in the first century did not see Him in the clouds. So the last verse in "bold" must mean something other than the idea that those living in the first century saw Him in the clouds.

One of the meanings of the Greek word genea which is found in the Lidell-Scott Greek-English Lexicon is "family":

"genea,, a/j, Ion. geneh,, h/j( h`, Ep. dat. geneh/fi: (gi,gnomai): I. of the persons in a family, 1. race, stock, family, Hom., etc.; Pria,mou g. Il.; evk geneh/j according to his family, Ib.; geneh/| by birth-right, Od.; geneh.n Aivtwlo,j by descent, Il.:-of horses, a breed, Ib.:-generally, geneh,n in kind, Hdt.:-also a tribe, nation, Persw/n g. Aesch. 2. a race, generation, oi[hper fu,llwn geneh. toih,de kai. avndrw/n Il.; du,o geneai. avnqrw,pwn Ib. 3. offspring, Orac. ap. Hdt.; and of a single person, Soph. II. of time or place in reference to birth: 1. a birth-place, geneh. evpi. li,mnh| Gugai,h| Il.; of an eagle's eyrie, Od. 2. age, time of life, esp. in phrases geneh/| new,tatoj( presbu,tatoj youngest, eldest, in age, or by birth, Hom. 3. time of birth, evk geneh/j Hdt.; avpo. g. Xen."

Therefore, there can be no doubt that one of the meanings of the Greek word translated "generation" is "family" and it will now be demonstrated that "family" is the correct translation at Luke 21:32. Therefore, the correct translation in the following verse is this one:

"Verily I say unto you, This family (genea) shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled"
(Lk.21:32).​

The family refers to the physical descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The Lord Jesus' sermon foretold of the "great tribulation," a time when Israel will be attacked unmercifully in an attempt to destroy the whole family of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Therefore it would not be unusual for the Lord Jesus to assure them that they will not be wiped out and that they will continue to exist. Therefore, He told them that the family of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob would still be in existence when He returned to the earth.

In fact, this is not the first time that such assurance had been given to the Israelites, as witnessed by these words:

"Thus says the LORD, Who gives the sun for light by day And the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night, Who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar; The LORD of hosts is His name: If this fixed order departs From before Me, declares the LORD, Then the offspring of Israel also will cease from being a nation before Me forever" (Jer.31:35-36).​

According to the Lord as long as the sun and moon remain in the sky the nation of Israel will remain "being a nation" before Him. So there is nothing odd about the Lord Jesus telling the Israelites that "this family shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled," especially with the great tribulation in view.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

http://newadvent.org/bible/luk021.htm

1. to what do you think this passage is speaking about?

Greetings randomvim!

Those verses are speaking about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

what suggests another meaning of the term generation is not in use?

In this sermon the Lord Jesus was describing a world-wide judgment or harvest. For example, consider what He said here:

"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left... Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels" (Mt.25:31-33,41).​

That did not happen in the first century and it has not happened at any time since. And that is just one thing in the Lord's discourse which speaks of a world-wide harvest.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Epoisses

The Lord Jesus' sermon foretold of the "great tribulation," a time when Israel will be attacked unmercifully in an attempt to destroy the whole family of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Therefore it would not be unusual for the Lord Jesus to assure them that they will not be wiped out and that they will continue to exist. Therefore, He told them that the family of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob would still be in existence when He returned to the earth.

The final battle of planet earth will be Israel of the flesh versus Israel of the Spirit. You'll be on the wrong side.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree with Jerry.

It has also been translated as "nation".

Philippians 2:15 KJV
(15) That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

daqq

All this completely destroys the assumptions of both date setters, of completionists (?) and of preterists (who are really just retro-date setters), and supports mid-Acts dispensationalism.

I can tell you only that I've seen commentaries that suggest how it SHOULD be translated if an was taken into account. I know of no actual translation that actually does it.

It is time oriented so rather than "whatever" or "whoever' it should reflect the time aspect of the context:

Luke 21:32 W/H (W/Variants)
32 αμην λεγω υμιν οτι ου μη παρελθη η γενεα αυτη εως |
[αν] | αν | παντα γενηται
32 Verily I say unto you that this generation shall not pass until
whensoever all things are done.

By Torah and Prophets there are four generations to the first "age" of a man, like the four seasons in the full revolution of a year: Autumn, Winter, Spring, and the Summer of your harvest, (when your branch becomes tender, and puts forth his foliage; know the signs given to you from the Master and know that "the Summer of your harvest" is near, even at the doors). Thus the above is understood as "whenever" or "whensoever" because the time is uncertain and unknown; for the Gospel is personal and individual to each in his or her own appointed times, times appointed of the Father whenever a child becomes a son, (a time which no one knows, not even the messengers, but the Father alone). Those accounted worthy to obtain the next age, olam haba and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: neither can they die any more, for they are isangeloi, and are sons of Elohim being sons of the resurrection.

Edit: Since I see all you MADites foolishly ignored what was said here, (hehe).
Ex. A) ο δε οφις ην φρονιμωτατος παντων των θηριων των επι της γης ων εποιησεν κυριος ο θεος
Ex. B) οι υιοι του αιωνος τουτου φρονιμωτεροι υπερ τους υιους του φωτος εις την γενεαν την εαυτων εισιν

Last edited:

randomvim

Greetings randomvim!

Those verses are speaking about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

In this sermon the Lord Jesus was describing a world-wide judgment or harvest. For example, consider what He said here:

"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left... Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels" (Mt.25:31-33,41).​

That did not happen in the first century and it has not happened at any time since. And that is just one thing in the Lord's discourse which speaks of a world-wide harvest.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Not sure for moment

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Let us look at this passage:
"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Verily I say unto you, This generation (genea) shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled" (Lk.21:27-32).​

Since the Lord Jesus has not yet returned to the earth it is certain that the generation (genea) who lived in the first century did not see Him in the clouds. So the last verse in "bold" must mean something other than the idea that those living in the first century saw Him in the clouds.

One of the meanings of the Greek word genea which is found in the Lidell-Scott Greek-English Lexicon is "family":

"genea,, a/j, Ion. geneh,, h/j( h`, Ep. dat. geneh/fi: (gi,gnomai): I. of the persons in a family, 1. race, stock, family, Hom., etc.; Pria,mou g. Il.; evk geneh/j according to his family, Ib.; geneh/| by birth-right, Od.; geneh.n Aivtwlo,j by descent, Il.:-of horses, a breed, Ib.:-generally, geneh,n in kind, Hdt.:-also a tribe, nation, Persw/n g. Aesch. 2. a race, generation, oi[hper fu,llwn geneh. toih,de kai. avndrw/n Il.; du,o geneai. avnqrw,pwn Ib. 3. offspring, Orac. ap. Hdt.; and of a single person, Soph. II. of time or place in reference to birth: 1. a birth-place, geneh. evpi. li,mnh| Gugai,h| Il.; of an eagle's eyrie, Od. 2. age, time of life, esp. in phrases geneh/| new,tatoj( presbu,tatoj youngest, eldest, in age, or by birth, Hom. 3. time of birth, evk geneh/j Hdt.; avpo. g. Xen."

Therefore, there can be no doubt that one of the meanings of the Greek word translated "generation" is "family" and it will now be demonstrated that "family" is the correct translation at Luke 21:32. Therefore, the correct translation in the following verse is this one:

"Verily I say unto you, This family (genea) shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled"
(Lk.21:32).​

The family refers to the physical descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

In fact, this is not the first time that such assurance had been given to the Israelites, as witnessed by these words:
"Thus says the LORD, Who gives the sun for light by day And the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night, Who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar; The LORD of hosts is His name: If this fixed order departs From before Me, declares the LORD, Then the offspring of Israel also will cease from being a nation before Me forever" (Jer.31:35-36).​

According to the Lord as long as the sun and moon remain in the sky the nation of Israel will remain "being a nation" before Him. So there is nothing odd about the Lord Jesus telling the Israelites that "this family shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled," especially with the great tribulation in view.
Good post Jerry Shug !! Ur the best !!!