The Simplicity of the Gospel / The Complicated Religions

God's Truth

What about the thief on the cross?

I am glad you ask...even though I know I told you this many times before...

The thief on the cross feared God, humbled himself, admitted his sins, acknowledged Jesus before men, believed in his heart, and called on Jesus.
Both thieves on the cross believed in Jesus, but only one of the thieves obeyed.

Robert Pate

Banned
If Jesus is your Lord, do as He commands, friend.

You are not the Lord, Jesus is.

No one including you can do what Jesus commands.

Do you really think that you can do and obey the law?

Your very best falls short of the glory of God, Romans 3:23.

Robert Pate

Banned
I am glad you ask...even though I know I told you this many times before...

The thief on the cross feared God, humbled himself, admitted his sins, acknowledged Jesus before men, believed in his heart, and called on Jesus.
Both thieves on the cross believed in Jesus, but only one of the thieves obeyed.

There is no scripture that says that the thief repented or obeyed Christ. All that he said was... "Remember me when you come into your Kingdom."

meshak

BANNED
Banned

This thread is not about our practice. It is about what Jesus commands.

beloved57

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,

that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

I do believe those things. I believe Christ died for our sins and that we come to God the Father through Jesus who forgives us of the sins we repent of doing.

Those Christ died for are reconciled to God while they are enemies, hating God! Rom 5:10

God's Truth

There is no scripture that says that the thief repented or obeyed Christ. All that he said was... "Remember me when you come into your Kingdom."
You need to look deeper.

The one thief on the cross feared God; God’s salvation is near those who fear Him.

The thief on the cross believed Jesus; the work of God is to believe in the one He sent.

The thief on the cross humbled himself. God pleads with people to be humble or they will never enter.

The thief admitted his sins, this is confession; he also admitted he deserved his punishment, that is regret and repentance for his sin.

The thief on the cross confessed Jesus in front of others; Jesus says whoever acknowledges him before others, he will also acknowledge before his Father in heaven.

The thief also called on the name of the Lord, when he told Jesus to remember him when he got to his kingdom. The Bible says for us to call on the name of the Lord after repenting of our sins.

The Bible says His salvation is near all those who fear him, see Psalm 85:9.

God says these are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word. See Isaiah 66:2.

We are to believe and confess, trust in God, call on the name of the Lord, See Romans 10:10, 11, and 13.

Matthew 10:32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.

One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Christ? Save yourself and us!” Luke 23:39. But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Luke 23:40-43. Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Again, the thief on the cross feared God, humbled himself, admitted his sins, acknowledged Jesus before men, believed in his heart, and called on Jesus.

God's Truth

Of course we can do what Jesus says. Those who do not do not get saved.

Jesus came to earth and taught the new law for the New Covenant; and then he shed his blood on the cross for the New Covenant.

Jesus tells you what to do to get to the Father.

beloved57

Jesus came to earth and taught the new law for the New Covenant; and then he shed his blood on the cross for the New Covenant.

Those Christ died for are reconciled to God the Father by His death, even while they hate God Rom 5:10 !

Robert Pate

Banned

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life: no man can come to the Father, but by me" John 14:6.

You seem to think that your obedience is the way to the Father.

Instead of trusting in Christ, you are trusting in yourself.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life: no man can come to the Father, but by me" John 14:6.

another twisted claim.

God's Truth

Jesus is the Way.

You will not get inside the Way to the Father if you do not do what the Way says!

How do you ever get just hearing and believing will do anything?

James says it is dead.

Jesus says you will not be blessed as a disciple, as a family member and as a friend if you do not do what he says.

John 8:35 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.

Luke 11:28 He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

John 13:17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

Matthew 12:50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

John 15:14 You are my friends if you do what I command.

God's Truth

Those Christ died for are reconciled to God the Father by His death, even while they hate God Rom 5:10 !

God does not save people who hate Him.

John 14:21 The person who has my commandments and obeys them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will reveal myself to him."

Proverbs 8:17 I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me.

Psalm 91:14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

1 Samuel 2:30
"Therefore the LORD, the God of Israel, declares: 'I promised that members of your family would minister before me forever.' But now the LORD declares: 'Far be it from me! Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained.

John 15:10 If you obey my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commandments and remain in his love.

marhig

He didn't have much of a chance to did he really?

Anyway, he didn't just say remember me when you come into your kingdom, he also said to the other thief "Don't you fear God? We have received what we deserved, but this man has done nothing wrong," he knew that Jesus spoke the truth. And that he didn't deserve to die! The thief was receiving punishment for doing wrong, but he knew that Jesus didn't deserve it. Imagine hearing Jesus say, "father forgive them for they know not what they do" that in itself would show you that he came from God!

We deserve to die because we are sinners, I'm talking about death to self not naturally, and Jesus deserves to live through us, we must decrease and he must increase and if we truly follow him then our fleshly lusts will be going and through the spirit, Christ will be becoming stronger in our hearts and this world will mean nothing to us!

marhig

You need to look deeper.

The one thief on the cross feared God; God’s salvation is near those who fear Him.

The thief on the cross believed Jesus; the work of God is to believe in the one He sent.

The thief on the cross humbled himself. God pleads with people to be humble or they will never enter.

The thief admitted his sins, this is confession; he also admitted he deserved his punishment, that is regret and repentance for his sin.

The thief on the cross confessed Jesus in front of others; Jesus says whoever acknowledges him before others, he will also acknowledge before his Father in heaven.

The thief also called on the name of the Lord, when he told Jesus to remember him when he got to his kingdom. The Bible says for us to call on the name of the Lord after repenting of our sins.

The Bible says His salvation is near all those who fear him, see Psalm 85:9.

God says these are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word. See Isaiah 66:2.

We are to believe and confess, trust in God, call on the name of the Lord, See Romans 10:10, 11, and 13.

Matthew 10:32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.

One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Christ? Save yourself and us!” Luke 23:39. But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Luke 23:40-43. Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Again, the thief on the cross feared God, humbled himself, admitted his sins, acknowledged Jesus before men, believed in his heart, and called on Jesus.
That's brilliant, I said a similar thing before reading this ?

marhig

We must obey God and Christ, Jesus also taught that if we love him we will obey his commandments.