The Preterists and Matthew 24:34

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeah, but then he has the Body in that Earthly kingdom.

All these years supposedly "Mid-Acts" and the poor guy still doesn't understand why the mystery to begin with...

I'm simply agreeing that the prophecied Davidic Messianic Kingdom is yet future as opposed to the amillennial/preterist position that GOD suddenly changes and speaks metaphorically when it comes to Kingdom prophecy.

Jerry Shugart

Yeah, but then he has the Body in that Earthly kingdom.

All these years supposedly "Mid-Acts" and the poor guy still doesn't understand why the mystery to begin with...

The reason people like me believe that the BOC will return to the earth with the Lord Jesus when He sets up His kingdom is because what is said here:

"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord" (1 Thess.4:16-17).​

This passage is speaking of being in the "presence" of the Lord Jesus when those in the BOC meets Him in the air and therefore when it speaks of those in the BOC being with Him for ever it is His "presence" which is in view.

But according to your view those in the BOC will no longer be in His presence when He returns to the earth to set up His earthly kingdom.

You talk big about your knowledge of the mystery but you never say what part of the mystery says that those in the BOC will NOT be in the presence of the Lord from the time of the rapture onward.

You just make things up out of thin air in your failed attempt to discredit me.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There was never a large harvest that happened on a large mass of land after Jerusalem was destroyed in 70 AD.

Luke 21 proves you wrong.

(Luke 21:21) Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city.

As we see above, it was not worldwide, it only pertained to Jerusalem and the area surrounding Jerusalem.

If it was worldwide (your claim), then why did Jesus only warn those in Judea to flee to the mountains, and why did Jesus tell those in the county not to enter Jerusalem?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Partial Preterism - it was all written to, for, and about only that part of "the world," all of it already happened, and only... in that part of "the world" - for God so loved only that part of "the world..."

You're not very bright.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm simply agreeing that the prophecied Davidic Messianic Kingdom is yet future as opposed to the amillennial/preterist position that GOD suddenly changes and speaks metaphorically when it comes to Kingdom prophecy.

Nowhere in the NT does Jesus, Paul, Peter, John, or any other NT writer even hint of a future earthly kingdom.

You have to take OT passages out of context in order to defend your false claim.

surrender

Yes on Mt 13. Jesus said the harvest field was ripe. Mt 21:33-44 is a parable about Jesus' first coming being in regard to collecting the harvest.

I agree with Mr. T on his assessment of the end of the age.

I would throw in 1 Cor 10:11 where Paul says he was living at the end of the age.

Some here have suggested Paul thought he was living at the end of the age, but he was mistaken.
Thanks. Still learning. Any site you recommend on this topic?

That's a good distinction.

When the text "does not appear to make any sense" as written, that is a good indicator we do not yet have information from the whole that might allow the eyes of our understanding to see from said whole through the passage that is not making sense to us, what, at some point turns out was there all along.

The passages are the lens through which we begin to get a glimpse of what perspective the writer was writing from.

But what often happens; and this is often readily obvious from a concluding party's assertion, no matter what said assertion might be, in such instances, that they ended up reading into whatever text it is they are asserting what they are asserting about it. Including a conclusion such as "doesn't make sense to me..."

Such a faulty approach reading right past the condition Mark 1:15implies will need to be met, for example, when its portrait is viewed from a distance just a bit further back; that more of the whole be allowed its important contribution.

Mark 1's implied condition in bold:

14. Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
15. And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

I can just as easily make the claim that you are reading a condition into that verse.

Tell me, do you see a condition in the following verses?:
"Who then is the faithful and sensible slave whom his master put in charge of his household to give them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes." (Mt 24:45,46)

The message is this: the master is returning and you will be blessed if you are doing what he desires when he returns.

That's the same implication in Mark 1:15. The Kingdom is at hand - it is coming - so you better be ready for it by repenting and believing.

The repenting and believing are not given as a condition of the Kingdom coming any more than obeying the master was a condition of the master returning.

There are no conditions because Jesus said the time was fulfilled. The time was set in stone.

iamaberean

This, from a guy who claims the Spirit reveals himself to him outside His Word.

STAY...

in...

THE...

Book...

Christians are not the only ones who understand the Old Testament. We can learn a lot from the Jews.

For example:
The Jews believe in only one God and they have shown me the scriptures that support it.

They say there are many gods but only one Jehovah. To prove that we just the search the bible for 'LORD' and 'God' which is how 'Jehovah', in the old testament, is written because they would not say or print His Holy name. There are 1479 verses of 'LORD God' or 'LORD your God" etc. Why is that important, because the word 'Elohim' in Hebrew can be used as plural, but never when 'LORD' is used with 'Elohim'.

I have always believed in only One God, but the Jewish understanding confirms it without a doubt.

When something is right, it can be confirmed with scripture.

There was never a harvest that even extended to the area which Paul said that the Gospel was bearing fruit. All you want to do is to make the meaning of the Greek word kosmos just mean the land of Israel.

I have said no such thing. What I said was the Matt 13 harvest was the gathering of "true fruit" into the Kingdom, and the gathering of "bad fruit" out of the Kingdom. As you just said, the gospel was bearing fruit throughout the kosmos. There you go - a "world wide" harvest of good fruit. The judgement was against unbelieving Jews. Question: were there any Jews living outside Israel during 70 AD?

As one scholar notes: "as we turn over the pages to the Acts and Epistles we at once become aware of Jews in every part of the world to which Christian missionaries traveled."

The judgement was upon ALL Jews throughout the known world - not just those living in Jerusalem. Does that end your critique that I think kosmos only meant Israel?

But if that was the meaning the Lord Jesus wanted to place at Matthew 13 He would not have used the word kosmos. But He did. We can also see that signs will be seen in the sky AFTER the great tribulation is over:

"Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken" (Mt.24:29).​

And the following passage describes men reacting to those signs in the sky and being in fear of things which will be coming on a much larger area than Israel, and which will take place after the great tribulation is over:

"And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth (oikoumene)" (Lk.21:25-26).​

What things would they be fearing that were yet to come, if these signs occur at the end of the great tribulation?

So you think the stars will literally fall from heaven? Or perhaps that is cataclysmic language to describe something devastating since stars can't literally fall from heaven.

The thing is, there is Biblical precedence for using that language in a non-literal way to describe terrible judgement.

"For the stars of heaven and their constellations will not flash forth their light; the sun will be dark when it rises, and the moon will not shed its light...therefore I shall make the heavens tremble, and the earth will be shaken from its place..." (Isaiah 13:10, 13 - FULFILLED in 539 when the Medes conquered Babylon.)

We can also see that there will be a world wide judgment at the end of the age because He compares that with the world wide flood:

"But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be" (Mt.24:37-39).​

That judgment was not limited to just a part of the world but instead to the whole earth. And that is why the Lord Jesus compares His coming to the Noah's flood.

Actually, Jesus is quite explicit as to why he compares his coming to the flood of Noah - and it is not because he is making a point about the scope of the judgement. Jesus says that just as in the days of Noah, people will be going about their normal routine lives, oblivious to any impending judgement, and then it will come suddenly upon them. That is the only explicit similarity drawn.

Tell me, will people be going about their lives in a routine way during the great tribulation and the tumultuous times that will just precede Jesus' coming?

musterion

I can just as easily make the claim that you are reading a condition into that verse.

Correct me if I missed it but I don't recall you commenting on the conditional mood of Matthew 24's "this generation" passage, or the particle an found therein. Tet simply denies it because he can't get it to compute. Would you mind? If you did reply to it, please point me to the post. Thank you...

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Correct me if I missed it but I don't recall you commenting on the conditional mood of Matthew 24's "this generation" passage, or the particle an found therein. Tet simply denies it because he can't get it to compute. Would you mind? If you did reply to it, please point me to the post. Thank you...

STATEMENT: "This generation shall not pass"

CONDITION: : "till all these things be fulfilled" (all these things are the things Jesus said from verses 2- 33)

There is no "secret conditional mood" that you claim.

You, nor any other Dispensationalist can explain Matt 24:34, which is why you, STP, and Jerry have all your really bad excuses.

musterion - secret conditional mood

STP - "all these things" only means verse 2

Jerry Shugart - "generation" means family

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The reason people like me believe that the BOC will return to the earth with the Lord Jesus when He sets up His kingdom is because what is said here:

"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord" (1 Thess.4:16-17).​

This passage is speaking of being in the "presence" of the Lord Jesus when those in the BOC meets Him in the air and therefore when it speaks of those in the BOC being with Him for ever it is His "presence" which is in view.

But according to your view those in the BOC will no longer be in His presence when He returns to the earth to set up His earthly kingdom.

You talk big about your knowledge of the mystery but you never say what part of the mystery says that those in the BOC will NOT be in the presence of the Lord from the time of the rapture onward.

You just make things up out of thin air in your failed attempt to discredit me.

You're both wrong.

Jesus doesn't bring anybody back to planet earth with Him because Jesus isn't coming back to planet earth.

The kingdom isn't of this world.

You have Jesus coming back to planet earth with a certain group of people to rule with Jesus over a different group of people.

He has Jesus coming back to planet earth to rule over a certain group of people, but leaving a different group of people behind in heaven.

Then there's STP. STP has three groups of people in three different places.

You Darby followers are really messed up.

musterion

Interesting read...

Interesting read...

Appears written by an Acts 28 dispensationalist, so there's some baggage there, but is still a handy dismantling of the basic assumptions of preterism.

"UNDER no circumstances should you be finishing the cities of Israel till the Son of Mankind may be coming" (Matt.10:23b).

"Verily I am saying to you that there are some of those standing here who under no circumstances should be tasting death till they should be perceiving the Son of Mankind coming in His kingdom" (Matt.16:28; cp Luke 9:27).

"Verily I am saying to you that by no means may this generation be passing by till all these things should be occurring" (Matt.24:34; cp Mark 13:30; Luke 21:32).

"For still how very little, He Who is coming will be arriving and not delaying" (Heb.10:37).

"Little children, it is the last hour, and, according as you hear that the antichrist is coming, now also there have come to be many antichrists, whence we know that it is the last hour" (1 John 2:18).

These and similar passages are often appealed to by unbelievers to show the exceedingly unreliable nature--indeed the sheer falsehood--of Jesus' words and teaching, since the event which they predict, the "second coming" of Christ, did not occur within the specified time and has not yet occurred over 1,900 years later. Much is made of the supposed absurdity of "Christianity" at its very core, its claims being founded upon the word of such a manifest delusionist as Jesus of Nazareth.

After all, they reason, the sun was not darkened and the moon did not fail to give her beams, and the stars did not fall from heaven, nor were the powers of the heavens shaken; the sign of the Son of Mankind in heaven did not appear, all the tribes of the land did not grieve, nor did they see the Son of Mankind coming on the clouds of heaven with power and much glory (Matt.24:29,30). Every eye did not see Him (Rev.1:7), much less did the kingdoms of this world become those of the Lord God and His Christ (Rev.11:15); decidedly, the nations did not beat their swords into plowshares, nor their spears into pruninghooks, so as not to learn war any more (Isa.2:4).

Remarkably, however, certain believers, termed "Preterists" since they claim a fulfilled or past second coming of Christ, have appealed to these very same passages in order to show the exceedingly reliable nature--indeed the utter truthfulness--of Jesus' words. According to their claims, the "second coming" of Christ did occur within the specified time, all related prophecies being fulfilled accordingly.

Preterists, however, must explain all prophecy concerning Christ's advent and kingdom in highly allegorical or even mystical terms, contrary to the plain sense of the passages themselves. Nonetheless, these believers have convinced themselves of the legitimacy of their interpretations, since, according to them, either Christ's second coming did occur within a generation of the time in which He made these prophecies, or He is a deceiver and a false prophet. Since no believer will affirm that Christ is either of these, and since, according to Preterists, the only alternative is to accept their claims as to a first-century second coming, they imagine that they have proved the correctness of their position...

Do yourself a favor, read the rest here.

Jerry Shugart

The judgement was upon ALL Jews throughout the known world - not just those living in Jerusalem. Does that end your critique that I think kosmos only meant Israel?

First of all, you have given absolutely no evidence that the world wide harvest of Matthew was limited to ALL Jews throughout the known world. The Lord Jesus made no such distinction, saying the following:

"The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil" (Mt.13:41).​

His words could not be any plainer but despite that fact you say that it was not "everything" that causes sin which was weeded out but only the unbelieving Jews. And according to you it was not "all" who do evil but instead only the unbelieving Jews who do evil.

Secondly, if unbelieving Jews all over the known world in 70 AD were taken out suddenly then certainly such an event would have been recorded in history. But nothing like that ever happened so your explanation is without merit.

You remain stuck with no explanation for the Lord Jesus' words concerning a world wide harvest which will happen at the end of the age.

What things would they be fearing that were yet to come, if these signs occur at the end of the great tribulation?

First of all, the signs in the sky will not happen at the end of the great tribulation but instead they will happen after the great tribulation is over.

Here is a description of the same exact thing seen at Luke 21:25-26, which will happen after the great tribulation is over:

"There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red, and the stars in the sky fell to earth...And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?" (Rev.6:12-17).​

This is describing a world wide event and not just events concerning unbelieving Jews. And remember, this describes events which will happen after the great tribulation is over. Nothing like that happened after Jerusalem was destroyed in 70AD.

So you think the stars will literally fall from heaven? Or perhaps that is cataclysmic language to describe something devastating since stars can't literally fall from heaven.

The stars will appear to fall from heaven. But in two different instances we see men reacting in a negative way to what they will see. So there is no evidence that even hints that this is merely "cataclysmic language," as you suppose.

You also failed to address the use of the word oikoumene in the following passage:

"And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth (oikoumene)" (Lk.21:25-26).​

Again, well known preterist Gary DeMar said the following about the word oikoumene:

"The case can be made that 'oikoumene' is used exclusively for the geographical area generally limited to the Roman empire of the first-century and the territories immediately adjacent which were known and accessible to first-century travelers. When first-century Christians read the word 'oikoumene,' they thought of what they knew of their world" [emphasis mine] (Gary DeMar, "The Gospel Preached to All the World, Part 3 of 4; The Preterist Archive).​

There was never a judgment which came upon what the Christians knew as their world after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. And by the Lord Jesus' own words it is certain beyond any doubt that the following never happened in the first century:

"And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth" (Lk.21:34-35).​

Actually, Jesus is quite explicit as to why he compares his coming to the flood of Noah - and it is not because he is making a point about the scope of the judgement. Jesus says that just as in the days of Noah, people will be going about their normal routine lives, oblivious to any impending judgement, and then it will come suddenly upon them. That is the only explicit similarity drawn.

Tell me, will people be going about their lives in a routine way during the great tribulation and the tumultuous times that will just precede Jesus' coming?

Israel has been the victims of many attempts to destroy that nation and the rest of the world goes about their normal routines. So when the great tribulation finally comes there is no reason to suppose that normal life in the rest of the world will not continue. It will not be until the signs will appear in the sky that mankind will know that the unbelievers are in serious trouble. Then the Lord Jesus will be seen coming in the clouds and then a world wide judgment will happen. That is the reason why He compares the world wide harvest which will happen at the end of the age to the great flood which "took them all away":

"But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be" (Mt.24:37-39).​

This in "bold" is an explicit similarity between the harvest that will happen at the end of the age and the great flood:

"He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man; The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the age; and the reapers are the angels. As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this age. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear" (Mt. 13:37-43).​

The things which the Lord Jesus describes which will happen after the great tribulation is over bears absolutely no resemblance to anything that happened after Jerusalem was destroyed in 70AD.