The law of the Lord is perfect

chair

If you can keep all of the law you're a better man than I am.

You are ignoring my main point. Law isn't about perfection. Law is a guide on how to live. You do your best to live by the law. Just as you do by your country's laws. If you cross the street at a red light once in your life, do you go to court, confess your crime, and hope you'll be forgiven, while knowing that you could be executed? Or will you say to yourself "I shouldn't have done that. I'll be better in the future".

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You are ignoring my main point. Law isn't about perfection. Law is a guide on how to live. You do your best to live by the law. Just as you do by your country's laws. If you cross the street at a red light once in your life, do you go to court, confess your crime, and hope you'll be forgiven, while knowing that you could be executed? Or will you say to yourself "I shouldn't have done that. I'll be better in the future".

Thank you for the clarification. Now I understand your thought.

beameup

Behold, the days will come, saith YHWH, that I will make a NEW COVENANT with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith YHWH: but this shall be the COVENANT that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith YHWH, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. - Jeremiah 31:31-33

Prizebeatz1

How was Jesus able to keep the law?

Perhaps the insistence that Jesus was perfect misses the point. Maybe Jesus is symbolic for the everlasting part of us which is already perfect. In a way we are perfect when we are born. Maybe that part of us that is perfect is still inside of us but we chose to turn our backs on it when we made the transition to adulthood. It's like we begin to identify with something other than our true purity in order to have an identity which brings us approval from our peers, the ability to control, the feeling of being good enough, worthiness from our actions, our beliefs, accomplishments, etc. This is the personality or who we take ourselves to be. The harder we believe that it is us the further away we get from our true identity which is perfection. Jesus can be interpreted as symbolism for this.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Just because we recognize the Maker, doesn't make us holy. And even if we strive intensely for perfection we don't get there.

What if we had a Helper?

Obviously we don't need a Helper to sin, we can do that on our own. If we strive intensely for perfection why would our Helper fail to help us do so?

TweetyBird

The foreskin of the heart must be circumcised:

Deuteronomy 10:12-17 TS2009
12 “And now, Yisra’ĕl, what is יהוה your Elohim asking of you, but to fear יהוה your Elohim, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, and to serve יהוה your Elohim with all your heart and with all your being,
13 to guard the commands of יהוה and His laws which I command you today for your good?
14 “See, the heavens and the heaven of heavens belong to יהוה your Elohim, also the earth with all that is in it.
15 “יהוה delighted only in your fathers, to love them. And He chose their seed after them, you above all peoples, as it is today.
16 “And you shall circumcise the foreskin of your heart, and harden your neck no more.
17 “For יהוה your Elohim is Elohim of mighty ones and Master of masters, the great Ěl, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality nor takes a bribe.

Romans 8:6-8 TS2009
6 For the mind of the flesh is death, but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace.
7 Because the mind of the flesh is enmity towards Elohim, for it does not subject itself to the Torah of Elohim, neither indeed is it able,
8 and those who are in the flesh are unable to please Elohim.

Rom 8:6-8 does not say the "Torah of Elohim". Messianic Bibles take so much liberty with translation that they make a complete mess of the text.

Last edited:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
God's law isn't a philosophical abstract. "What does God's law mean"? It doesn't "mean" something. It is a guide to the correct way to live.
The law identifies aberrant behavior, but that is not the same as a guide. The law points out our defects. This is not how we are supposed to live, this wasn't our destiny, and wasn't God's plan, to defy His law; that's what the law does.

The answer is not to see it as a guide, but to appreciate the Christian faith.

"if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe." Galatians 3:21-22 (KJV)

The law isn't about life. And it doesn't stand in the way of life. It points out, that we are not alive, when we trespass. Not the way God intended us to live.

We are all trespassers in need of grace, and it is through especially His Church that the Lord joyfully gives us that grace.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
What if we had a Helper?

Obviously we don't need a Helper to sin, we can do that on our own. If we strive intensely for perfection why would our Helper fail to help us do so?
If your view of what help is, differs from what the Helper thinks is helpful, then you might think that He could fail.

TweetyBird

Nope. There is more to the law than you are aware of. For one things, it would require two eye witnesses to the actual adulterous act in order to convict someone.

Actually, I am going to retract my question. I need to do some further research on this. I cannot find a verse that states adulterers must be stoned.

TweetyBird

I don't believe the Law of Moses was set up "as a guide on how to live", or that "you do your best to live by the law". We must be reading two different accounts of Ex, Lev, Num and Deut :think:

TweetyBird

What if we had a Helper?

What do you mean by "striving intensely for perfection"?

chair

The law identifies aberrant behavior, but that is not the same as a guide. The law points out our defects. This is not how we are supposed to live...

I can't believe that you would say the same for British law or American law. Law is meant to help order society. It is not a philopophical abstract.

daqq

Rom 8:6-8 does not say the "Torah of Elohim". Messianic Bibles take so much liberty with translation that they make a complete mess of the text.

Actually the following passage in Hebrew would also say "Torah of Elohim", (Torat Elohim), in English transliteration but your favorite translators do not render it that way here either:

Joshua 24:26 KJV
26 And Joshua wrote these words in the book of the law of God,
[Torah of Elohim] and took a great stone, and set it up there under an oak, that was by the sanctuary of the LORD.

Does that phrase in bold look familiar to you? It should because it is the same thing you read in most other English translations of the Romans 8:7 passage which I quoted. Your objection has no legitimate foundation and you conveniently used this illegitimate reason to avoid the meat of what was said, (circumcision of the heart). But I was only answering the question you asked of me so there you have it. :)