The important thing that is hiding in these elections

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
What are you talking about.

It's not something that conservatives generally know about. Or rather, conservatives today don't know about it. Reagan would have endorsed it completely.

The form of government established in the U.S. Constitution is sometimes called a representative or indirect democracy.
Republic: A form of government in which the people are sovereign (ultimate source of power) and give their consent to representatives to make laws. The term, republic, comes from the Latin res publicae, meaning “thing of the people.”
Checks and Balances: Constitutional powers are distributed among the branches of government allowing each to limit the application of power of the other branches and to prevent expansion of power of any branch.

Consent of the Governed/Popular Sovereignty: The power of government comes from the people.

Due Process: The government must interact with all people according to the duly-enacted laws and apply these rules equally with respect to all people.

Equality: All individuals have the same status regarding their claim as human beings to natural rights and treatment under the law.

Federalism: The people delegate certain powers to the national government, while the states retain other powers; and the people, who authorize both the states and national government, retain all freedoms not delegated to the governing bodies.

Freedom of contract: Freedom of individuals and corporations to make legally binding mutual agreements without arbitrary or unreasonable legal restrictions

Freedom of religion: The right to choose one’s religion or form of worship, if any, without interference; freedom of conscience

Freedom of speech, press, and assembly: The legal right to express one’s opinions freely, orally or in writing, and the right to gather with others in groups of one’s choice without arbitrary or unreasonable restrictions.

Liberty: Except where authorized by citizens through the Constitution, government does not have the authority to limit freedom.

Limited Government: Citizens are best able to pursue happiness when government is confined to those powers which protect their life, liberty, and property.

Majority Rule/Minority Rights: Laws may be made with the consent of the majority, subject to the limitation that those laws do not infringe on the inalienable rights of the minority.

Natural/Inalienable Rights: Rights which belong to us by nature and can only be justly abridged through due process. Examples are life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness.

Private Property: The natural rights of all individuals to create, obtain, and control their possessions, beliefs, faculties, and opinions, as well as the fruits of their labor.

Rule of Law: Government and citizens all abide by the same laws regardless of political power. Those laws are justly applied, consistent with an ethos of liberty, and stable.

Separation of Powers: A system of distinct powers built into the Constitution, to prevent an accumulation of power in one branch.

https://billofrightsinstitute.org/founding-documents/founding-principles/

This, for many of Trump's supporters, amounts to "crimethink."

The Berean

Politics at the national level is really quest for power. Both the Democrats and Republicans seek, crave and lust national power. Power has become an end in itself. The Democrats and Republicans are the opposite sides of the same coin. This is the reason I no longer vote for Republicans nor Democrats in national elections. In this battle for power the people are the real losers. When the Republicans nominated Trump in 2016 it was a crazy hail mail pass that scored a touchdown and won the game. With it came the MAGA hats, tacit encouragement of overt racist behavior, etc. This time the pass will not reach the end zone as it's looking like Biden is the new president. But lets be honest here. Biden will not change anything in this country in any meaningful way. Oh, taxes may change and a few other things. But this window dressing changes will not change the heart of America. America is divided. It's divided because America is over 320 million people with very diverse beliefs. Because of this there will always be conflict. Perhaps Americans need to look at themselves in a mirror.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Politics at the national level is really quest for power. Both the Democrats and Republicans seek, crave and lust national power. Power has become an end in itself. The Democrats and Republicans are the opposite sides of the same coin. This is the reason I no longer vote for Republicans nor Democrats in national elections. In this battle for power the people are the real losers. When the Republicans nominated Trump in 2016 it was a crazy hail mail pass that scored a touchdown and won the game. With it came the MAGA hats, tacit encouragement of overt racist behavior, etc. This time the pass will not reach the end zone as it's looking like Biden is the new president. But lets be honest here. Biden will not change anything in this country in any meaningful way. Oh, taxes may change and a few other things. But this window dressing changes will not change the heart of America. America is divided. It's divided because America is over 320 million people with very diverse beliefs. Because of this there will always be conflict. Perhaps Americans need to look at themselves in a mirror.

I probably disagree with you more than I agree, but I respect your words here.

As is usually the case I don't agree completely but I don't disagree completely either.

Where we can agree:

Politics is about power, regardless of party. But power has always been there in one way or another, it's just that sometimes citizens have a chance to shape it to a certain extent.
America is divided. But Trump exploited that divide, pried it farther and farther open, for political gain. He's a divider. Among many other things he is that aren't good.

Where we don't agree:

I don't believe politics can be reduced to Republicans and Democrats are two sides of the same coin. There are real differences that can't be explained by both-sidesism.
Joe Biden has a history of being a uniter, he's know for reaching across the aisle, perhaps he can change some things for the better, begin what repair can be done.

As an aside, I've voted in a lot of elections, as a Republican and in recent years as an unaffiliated voter. I've never considered the opposing party the enemy in the way I do now and I have no doubt that consideration is returned to me in full measure. This, I don't know if any president can fix. But at least Trump won't be able to keep making it worse.

:darwinsm:

I know I'm going to rethink my stand on perverted sex and a host of smelly things, look again at banning gender pronouns, learn to embrace general Godlessness and Communism, reverse racism, crawling on all fours in Kente cloth, the political correctness of arson and looting, throw out the Bible, get a plastic statue of Baphomet for a mantlepiece, and go out after Black Friday, to find some Nativity scenes to destroy. After all, it's clear, under Joe Biden, "Now, everything is for free, and everybody has to like us! Right?"

It is hilarious, is it not? A real vegan burger, if there ever was one. I believe this is why God gave us Power and Mute buttons.