Not open for further replies.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I think that is yet to be determined.

We are still holding out hope that you will say you put a lot of thought into the evidence presented and what we have said here on TOL and realize now how silly this flat earth theory is.

So, what's it gonna be? Shaquille O’Neal and the other nut-balls or truth, reason, mathematics, science, and common sense?
Don't forget the Bible...

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

The Berean

I will post more video and "add commentary" that questions the existence of satellites, or questions the way that they work. NASA may not own them but nothing goes to space or to Antarctica that NASA does not control.

--Dave
This is 100% untrue, Dave. Does NASA control the satellites that are launched by the Russians or the French or the Chinese? NASA has no such control. Where did you ever get that crazy idea? Most of the satellites that I have worked on have been launched out of French Guiana or Kazakhstan.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
One more question for you, Dave. This is what the moon looked like the other night:

0107pod16.jpg

Notice the angle of the sunlight on the moon. What does that tell you about where the sun was positioned in relation to the moon?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So Dave,

I see that you're wanting to land the plane here but I've spent way too much time here to let it end without getting some sort of verdict.

If you were sitting in a jury box and you had to decide whether the powers the be were guilty or innocent of sticking the pupoluation into beling the Earth was round when it was actually flat, would you render a verdict of guilty or innocent?

I phrase it that way because the burden of proof really does lie in the flat-earther's lap here. They are making extraordinary claims that require extrordinary evidence. Do you believe that burden to have been met?

Clete

There exists three views of flat earth.

1. There are those who are absolutely convinced the earth is flat.

2. There are those who are absolutely convinced the earth is not flat.

3. There are those who are open but need more proof before they will change from the globe model and will continue to monitor the flat earth movement to see how it goes.

I'll let you guess where I'm at before I tell you.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

We are still holding out hope that you will say you put a lot of thought into the evidence presented and what we have said here on TOL and realize now how silly this flat earth theory is.

So, what's it gonna be? Shaquille O’Neal and the other nut-balls or truth, reason, mathematics, science, and common sense?

See my response to Clete.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You can't derive a "true" distance from an assumed globe cosmology and then impose that calculation on a flat earth model.

You apparently didn't watch the full video then, as he did no such thing. He went and bought an angle measuring device, took measurements of the sun and moon, and then calculated the distances between each.

No assumptions were made about the shape of the earth.

He then applied those measurements to each theory, and showed how the measurements he got would not fit at all the flat earth model.

The argument is propositional, "if" this "then" that.

"If" the earth is a globe and revolves around the sun and the moon revolves around the earth, "then" we can calculate the sun to be at a distance of so many miles away when we use a triangulation with the moon.

This does not prove the globe model or the distance of the sun from the earth.

--Dave

See above.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TOL mobile app

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

If Shaq actually believes this mess, I have to question whether the "Icy Hot Patch" he is schlepping actually works. :chuckle:

chair

3. There are those who are open but need more proof before they will change from the globe model and will continue to monitor the flat earth movement to see how it goes.

--Dave

Dave,

Just get to the point, without this silliness. People have put many many hours into this topic- don't waste more time with games.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
One more question for you, Dave. This is what the moon looked like the other night:

0107pod16.jpg

Notice the angle of the sunlight on the moon. What does that tell you about where the sun was positioned in relation to the moon?

So where is the sun when there is a full moon?

--Dave

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

--Dave

I'm going to choose to say option 2 just because I still cannot make myself believe that the guy who was capable of creating THIS could have a mind capable of anything else.

Right Divider

Body part
You think Dave is number 2? (no potty humor please) :)

Based on this thread I think Dave is #1. "...those who are absolutely convinced the earth is flat."
Sorry, I misread... #2 is my position.

I'm totally unsure about Dave, but he certainly appears to be trying to show that he is #1.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

The mistake this video makes is that is assumes the globe model in order to establish the distance of sun from earth. It then applies those angels and distances to the flat earth model. Figures derived from an assumed globe model does not prove the earth model and does not disprove the flat earth model. There are at least three fallacies in his argument but it's simply circular reasoning.

--Dave
I know you ended your participation here, but I found this comment interesting and this is how I would have answered it.

The video did no such thing. The video assumed only that the sun was very close to 90 degrees from our viewing angle of the moon. You'd agree that when the moon is lit by half, the sun is 90 degrees from our line of sight of the moon?

If you agree, then neither the globe or flat earth model was assumed. And that's what makes your post interesting; for a person of your intellectual ability, it should have been obvious that neither the globe or flat earth model was assumed.

For my part, I'll agree that I wish he would have shown the distance the moon would have had to have been from the earth for both bodies to be within the boundary of a flat earth model.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So where is the sun when there is a full moon?

--Dave
This is actually a good question. How does the flat earth model accommodate the moon phases? I'm not asking Dave since he left the thread, but I'd still like to know.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
This is actually a good question. How does the flat earth model accommodate the moon phases? I'm not asking Dave since he left the thread, but I'd still like to know.
Where did you get the idea that Dave left the thread?

Sent from my Pixel XL using TOL mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.