Status
Not open for further replies.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I lived in Staten Island and now Brooklyn and have crossed the Verrazano Bridge many times. I roller blade all summer next to the water and under the bridge. The waters under the bridge and into the harbor from Brooklyn to Staten Island to Manhattan are perfectly flat. You can see the shore line across from each island with no problem.

View attachment 26127

--Dave

Dave, I'm not letting you get out of answering this question.

I will make my point when you answer my question. Not sooner. Are you unable to answer a simple question? Or are you just scared to do so?

Question:
Did God create darkness, or was darkness a result of God creating light?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Question:

I quoted you Genesis that says darkness was on the face of the deep, and God said let there be light. I don't know how to answer your question. I've never be asked that question nor have I ever considered it. The question does not relate directly to flat earth. I have granted you that Genesis does not have to say God created gravity in order to prove gravity exists. I would certainly like to see how you would answer your question and see how it applies to flat earth.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Question:

I quoted you Genesis that says darkness was on the face of the deep, and God said let there be light. I don't know how to answer your question. I've never be asked that question nor have I ever considered it.

Then perhaps you could consider it and then give me an answer? It's a simple question. I'll make it easy for you:

Did God create darkness or was darkness a result of God creating light?
A. Yes, God created darkness.
B. No, Darkness was a result of God creating light.
Or, C. I don't know, or can't think of any way to answer this question.

The question does not relate directly to flat earth.

And yet, as evidenced by your next sentence, you still have no idea where I'm going with this, so saying that my question has nothing to do with the flat earth would be dishonest.

I have granted you that Genesis does not have to say God created gravity in order to prove gravity exists.

Which, as I said before, is not where I'm going with this, and even if it were, that would be an "argumentum ad silentio," an argument from silence, which is a logical fallacy.

I would certainly like to see how you would answer your question and see how it applies to flat earth.

--Dave

Give me A, B, or C from above, and then we can move on to my point.

WizardofOz

I lived in Staten Island and now Brooklyn and have crossed the Verrazano Bridge many times. I roller blade all summer next to the water and under the bridge. The waters under the bridge and into the harbor from Brooklyn to Staten Island to Manhattan are perfectly flat. You can see the shore line across from each island with no problem.

View attachment 26127

--Dave

Do you care to explain why they engineered this bridge to compensate for the earth's curvature? Why would they be designed to be farther apart at their tops than at their bases?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Then perhaps you could consider it and then give me an answer? It's a simple question. I'll make it easy for you:

Did God create darkness or was darkness a result of God creating light?
A. Yes, God created darkness.
B. No, Darkness was a result of God creating light.
Or, C. I don't know, or can't think of any way to answer this question.

And yet, as evidenced by your next sentence, you still have no idea where I'm going with this, so saying that my question has nothing to do with the flat earth would be dishonest.

Which, as I said before, is not where I'm going with this, and even if it were, that would be an "argumentum ad silentio," an argument from silence, which is a logical fallacy.

Give me A, B, or C from above, and then we can move on to my point.

I already said I don't know. Your turn.

--Dave

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Do you care to explain why they engineered this bridge to compensate for the earth's curvature? Why would they be designed to be farther apart at their tops than at their bases?

We don't need all of that technicality. All we need is hand-waving and baseless conjecture to prove that the earth is flat.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

You can see there is a curvature to the bridge. The water under the bridge is absolutely not curved.

--Dave

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The only thing Dave needs to show that the earth is flat is conjecture, and the only thing Dave needs to dismiss evidence to the contrary is hand-waving.

WizardofOz

You can see there is a curvature to the bridge.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I am referring to. Why did they design the bridge to take into account the curvature of the earth? Were they mistaken to do so?

Bridge.png
- explain this Figure 2 shows how to compute the 1 5/8 inch of additional separation based on the drawing in Figure 1.

Analysis1.png

The Earth's curvature will only have significant effects on massive structures that are sensitive to small errors. With the Verrazano-Narrows bridge, we are talking about a structure with a size on the order of a 1000 feet and the effect of the Earth's curvature is ~1 inch.

Source

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This has absolutely nothing to do with what I am referring to. Why did they design the bridge to take into account the curvature of the earth? Were they mistaken to do so?
Just by the fact that it is a suspension bridge, I would think it had more to do with tug and swing reduction.
Even with a swing-set, moving the tops of the chains father apart will reduce tug and swing. (You get a smoother swing, less jerky.)
That's just from a common sense level, as I am not an engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.