The Earth Is A Sphere According To The Bible

daqq

Whether one believes in this view or not, watch how well this guy (Rob Skiba) puts his view together by taking scripture literally when describing heaven and earth.

1 hour 50 minutes

Without even watching the video I can see from the third bullet on the front screen that the author has already changed what the scripture says:

Bullet #3 - "Under a dome, within which the sun, moon and stars were placed on Day 4"

Sorry but there is no mention of sun or moon anywhere in Gen1:14-19, specifically Gen1:16, which says, "And Elohim made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also." And there is no doubt a reason for this difference: for it is not like Moses did not have words for sun and moon, that is, shemesh and yareach respectively: for example, see Gen37:9, Dt4:19, and Dt17:3.

Stuu

You are either trolling or ignorant. You can doubt a lot of things from the eyewitness accounts of Jesus if you want, but the existence of eyewitness accounts is undeniable by anyone of reasonable knowledge of the evidence.
No trolling or ignorance. We don't actually have any account of Jesus written by someone who saw him.

Stuart

WatchmanOnTheWall

Without even watching the video I can see from the third bullet on the front screen that the author has already changed what the scripture says:

Bullet #3 - "Under a dome, within which the sun, moon and stars were placed on Day 4"

Sorry but there is no mention of sun or moon anywhere in Gen1:14-19, specifically Gen1:16, which says, "And Elohim made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also." And there is no doubt a reason for this difference: for it is not like Moses did not have words for sun and moon, that is, shemesh and yareach respectively: for example, see Gen37:9, Dt4:19, and Dt17:3.

Sorry to butt in and play FE'ers advocate but it does say:

Genesis 1:6-8
6And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. 7And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so. 8And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Genesis 1:14-17
14And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: 15And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. 16And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. 17And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

And now I must go to bed. :nightall:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

daqq

PS ~ @Tambora, what I said has nothing to do with for or against the flat earth belief, (pretty much everyone makes the same assumption: but that does not mean the assumption is true).

daqq

Seriously, every Christian I have talked to who became a FE'er ostracised themselves from the others around them. It is a very difficult path. They become slightly mad basically. :)

Sorry to butt in and play FE'ers advocate but it does say:

Genesis 1:6-8
6And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. 7And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so. 8And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Genesis 1:14-17
14And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: 15And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. 16And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. 17And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

And now I must go to bed. :nightall:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Funny, you have already labeled me insane for believing the scripture; so apparently anyone and everyone who disagrees with you is either mad or insane. Meanwhile you have predicted the commencement of the tribulation in 2022 and the return of Jesus in 2029: and when I called you on it, you acted as if I was too hasty and dense for not asking you to explain why you made your prediction, (multiple times in multiple threads), so that I might come to see the greater light and how right you are. I'll pass for now Harold Camping Jr II, but sleep well, as the lesser light plays movies and reruns in your dream-o-sphere. :chuckle:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, I was not trying to be snooty but just saying: there is already a major error right on the front screen, how could I not help but see it as I went to click on the play button? :)
I did not take your comment as snooty, so no worries.

I see the main point in his video as being that no one can take the biblical description of earth literally to be as a globe, but was always illustrated as flat, supported by pillars, with a dome like solid covering.
And he uses experts in Semitic languages that paint the same picture IF the Bible is taken literally.
Of course, the expert in Semitic languages was not promoting a flat earth, but just saying that if the words of the Bible are taken literally, then one would have to illustrate the earth as flat with a dome overhead and pillars beneath.
And he shows a portion of a video make by the expert drawing a picture as he LITERALLY reads the scriptures, and the pictures ends up being almost exactly as Rob Skiba illustrates it.
So it's not a question of interpreting the language used, it is a question of whether to take the language scripture uses about the earth literally.

IF you would like, I could scan through the video and pinpoint the section, so you don't have to watch it all to see what the expert says.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Seriously, every Christian I have talked to who became a FE'er ostracised themselves from the others around them. It is a very difficult path. They become slightly mad basically. :)
Perhaps.
Or perhaps the mad ones are the ones that believe what science tells us over what scripture tells us.
:think:
It has been science that has led many to disbelieve scripture in favor of evolution, millions of years to create earth, virgin birth an impossibility, etc.
Who can you trust for absolute truth?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
PS ~ @Tambora, what I said has nothing to do with for or against the flat earth belief, (pretty much everyone makes the same assumption: but that does not mean the assumption is true).
I'm not making a case for or against flat earth either.
Just showing that there can be more than one reasonable conclusion depending on which source you favor.

There are so many interesting things in his videos about the earth and what scripture says about it.
It's definitely not boring.
Such as:
Scripture makes no mention of the earth moving, but does mention the sun and moon moving, and some stars.
We have a recorded instance in scripture of the sun being commanded to stand still (stop moving), but nothing about the earth standing still.
According to science, if the sun stands still the earth stops spinning around it.

daqq

I did not take your comment as snooty, so no worries.

I see the main point in his video as being that no one can take the biblical description of earth literally to be as a globe, but was always illustrated as flat, supported by pillars, with a dome like solid covering.
And he uses experts in Semitic languages that paint the same picture IF the Bible is taken literally.
Of course, the expert in Semitic languages was not promoting a flat earth, but just saying that if the words of the Bible are taken literally, then one would have to illustrate the earth as flat with a dome overhead and pillars beneath.
And he shows a portion of a video make by the expert drawing a picture as he LITERALLY reads the scriptures, and the pictures ends up being almost exactly as Rob Skiba illustrates it.
So it's not a question of interpreting the language used, it is a question of whether to take the language scripture uses about the earth literally.

IF you would like, I could scan through the video and pinpoint the section, so you don't have to watch it all to see what the expert says.

:thumb: Thank you, and thanks for the synopsis. No need to do a scan for that one point, (unless you wish to do so for others), as now I am even more interested and will probably come back to it and watch at least some of it after what you have explained. :)

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:thumb: Thank you, and thanks for the synopsis. No need to do scan for that one point, (unless you wish to do so for others), as now I am even more interested and will probably come back to it and watch at least some of it after what you have explained. :)

This is the diagram that Dr. Michael Heiser (Semitic language expert) drew while taking the Bible LITERALLY.
NOTE: He is not a flat earth proponent, and his diagram was to show that the Bible should not be taken literally because we live in the scientific age now and know better.
He (Dr. Michael Heiser) gave a whole hour lecture on it here: https://vimeo.com/16031751
But the Rob Skiba video I posted only shows a portion of his (Dr. Michael Heiser) video of his (Dr. Michael Heiser) conclusion of what the heaven, earth, and firmament would look like if one takes the language (the Semitic language) of scripture literally.

Screen-Shot-2013-03-30-at-7.56.58-PM.png

That diagram is from a Hebrew language expert.
So it is not the language of scripture that is in doubt as to it's interpretation.
The only doubt it whether to take it literally or not.

Wick Stick

The earth is a sphere according to the prophets Isaiah and Ezekiel.

The priests maintain a cosmology of flat layers stacked on top of one another.

The prophets heard from God. I wonder who the priests heard from?

daqq

This is the diagram that Dr. Michael Heiser (Semitic language expert) drew while taking the Bible LITERALLY.
NOTE: He is not a flat earth proponent, and his diagram was to show that the Bible should not be taken literally because we live in the scientific age now and know better.
He (Dr. Michael Heiser) gave a whole hour lecture on it here: https://vimeo.com/16031751
But the Rob Skiba video I posted only shows a portion of his (Dr. Michael Heiser) video of his (Dr. Michael Heiser) conclusion of what the heaven, earth, and firmament would look like if one takes the language (the Semitic language) of scripture literally.
Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2013-03-30-at-7.56.58-PM.png

That diagram is from a Hebrew language expert.
So it is not the language of scripture that is in doubt as to it's interpretation.
The only doubt it whether to take it literally or not.

Uhggg . . . the Hebrew expert is Dr. Michael Heiser?
Perhaps it would have been better to let me find out on my own. ;)

Anyway, I can no longer see things that way because of other things I am compelled to take "literally", such as the following statements by both the Son of Elohim and Paul, (and many more from the same thread, "Adam").

The Son of Elohim claims the name Arche, which is originally from Gen 1:1, (LXX).
The Arche of Creation is basically the same as "the Head", (as Paul says in Col 1:18).

Colossians 1:18 W/H
18 και αυτος εστιν η κεφαλη του σωματος της εκκλησιας ος εστιν
[η] αρχη πρωτοτοκος εκ των νεκρων ινα γενηται εν πασιν αυτος πρωτευων

Colossians 1:18 T/R
18 και αυτος εστιν η κεφαλη (the head)
του σωματος (of the body) της εκκλησιας (of the congregation) ος εστιν αρχη (who is Arche) πρωτοτοκος εκ των νεκρων ινα γενηται εν πασιν αυτος πρωτευων
18 And he is himself the head of the body of the congregation, who is Arche, firstborn from the dead: that in all things he might have the preeminence.

We know that the one who speaks to Yohanan in the Apocalypse and tells him to write, (concerning all of the seven congregations in Asia), is the Son of Elohim, (not "a son of Elohim" but "THE Son of Elohim", with the article, so there is no doubt).

Revelation 2:18
18 And to the messenger-angel of the congregation in Thyatira, write: Thus says the Son of Elohim, who has the eyes like a flame of fire, and his feet like unto burnished brass:

Then the Son of Elohim says this in the following passage:

Revelation 3:14 W/H
14 και τω αγγελω της εν λαοδικεια εκκλησιας γραψον ταδε λεγει ο αμην ο μαρτυς ο πιστος και
[ο] αληθινος η αρχη της κτισεως του θεου

"η αρχη της κτισεως του θεου" = "the Arche of the creation of Elohim"

Moreover he says:

Revelation 22:13 W/H
13 εγω το αλφα και το ω ο πρωτος και ο εσχατος η αρχη και το τελος
13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Protos and the Eschatos, the Arche and the Telos.

However Genesis 1:1, in the Septuagint, (as well as John 1:1), has no article with Arche:

Genesis 1:1 LXX-Septuagint
1 εν αρχη εποιησεν ο θεος τον ουρανον και την γην
1 IN ARCHE Elohim made the heavens and the earth.

Perhaps it is not so much "what" is (the meaning of) arche? but rather, "who" is Arche?

And according to Col 1:18 the Head of the body of the congregation is Arche, (no article also here, in most manuscripts and codices, as the W/H puts the article in brackets and the T/R and Byzantine text types do not have the article with Arche in that passage). And if these things be true then the Head of the body of the congregation is named in Genesis 1:1 and all things were made in-through-with-by-way-of him, (εν), and for him, (Adam).