The Dispensationalist Focus Upon Old Covenant Israel

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Unt,
There is pretty good evidence that almost no one today in israel knows their tribal descendency. There are also only about 8% evangelicals. About the same % are orthodox but the majority are agnostic or NYC liberals.

It is entirely possible that the orthodox will resurrect Judaism enough to practice the whole worship system again, which would bring us back to the eve of the New Testament period, right?

So I don't see very much the same. Northwye is quite right that 11:26's "all" can't be the ethnos; it is the "Israel" (or remnant, or elect, or Abraham' seed) Paul has been referring to since ch 2, again in ch 9. In 11, granted, there are several contrasts between ethnos Israel and the nations, but anytime you limit a group that's moving through history and say at one future moment that "all" of it will be saved, you have actually qualified that "all" quite a bit.

Then, look carefully at how Isiaiah is quoted. It is all current. Those things are fulfilled for Paul: the Redeemer came, the sin as debt is taken away, the new covenant is operating. 11:30 solidifies with God only doing things through and upon Christ, whether in mercy or wrath. The same standard for all manking.
Jesus died for your sins, whether you were born an Israelite or not. That all Israel will be saved is speaking of Israel yes, God's people. Does this take into account that we don't know all who will be saved? I believe yes. Well, obviously some from Israel now can be said to have come to Christ. I don't know how to speak about it though, whether this is correct to interpret it as true prophecy from the following. There are different views on the phrase, "(and so) all Israel will be saved".

Romans 11:23-27 NASB - 23 And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree? 25 For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery--so that you will not be wise in your own estimation--that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; 26 and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, "THE DELIVERER WILL COME FROM ZION, HE WILL REMOVE UNGODLINESS FROM JACOB." 27 "THIS IS MY COVENANT WITH THEM, WHEN I TAKE AWAY THEIR SINS."

I don't know whether or not it is right to say we who have believed are now of Israel.

Ephesians 2:12 NASB - 12 remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.

Interplanner

It will help to keep dwelling on Eph 2B-3A. All the things that formerly excluded from Israel are accessible in the Gospel. It's not about land or geogrpahy or temple worship services. It is all fulfilled in Christ.

One other helpful clue on 11:26. "And so..." is more correctly "In this manner..." (this partially hardened manner). The ethnos will always be that way (and always has been). But the other Israel he has been referring to will be saved.

In this setting, since the middle of 10 or really for the whole letter, "saved" means to be justified from your sins. They (ie the debt of them) is taken away, to use Isaiah's language for the same. There is nothing about the restored land or place or worship system, etc.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It will help to keep dwelling on Eph 2B-3A. All the things that formerly excluded from Israel are accessible in the Gospel. It's not about land or geogrpahy or temple worship services. It is all fulfilled in Christ.

One other helpful clue on 11:26. "And so..." is more correctly "In this manner..." (this partially hardened manner). The ethnos will always be that way (and always has been). But the other Israel he has been referring to will be saved.

In this setting, since the middle of 10 or really for the whole letter, "saved" means to be justified from your sins. They (ie the debt of them) is taken away, to use Isaiah's language for the same. There is nothing about the restored land or place or worship system, etc.
You are asking the question of what is Israel. Well, who is Israel Biblically? Those who descended from Israel or lived in the land of Israel. Then these are the people of God.

Romans 11:12 NASB, Romans 11:23 NASB - 12 Now if their transgression is riches for the world and their failure is riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their fulfillment be! ... 23 And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

Jerry Shugart

Romans 11: 25-26 is difficult to interpret. But if you interpret it by other relevant scripture, instead of by a tradition of men, it is not saying that sometime in the future all Old Covenant Israel will be saved as a house, but that all who are the elect of God will be saved, and all who are the elect of God are Israel, but not Old Covenant Israel, according to the texts of Paul listed above.

First of all, it is evident that at Romans 11:26 is referring to the prophecy found at jeremiah 31:31-34. And no one is saying that in the future that all of the Israelites down through time will be saved.

Instead, the promise is only in regard to all those of Israel (all of the physical seed of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob) who will be alive when the following promise will be fulfilled:

"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more" (Jer.31:31-34).​

There has never been a time when all of the physical descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob out of the houses of Israel and Jacob had received a forgiveness of sins.

The preterists have no place in their eschatology for the fulfillment of the promise made by the LORD that at some point in time all of the physical descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob will have their sins forgiven.

So according to the ideas of the preteists the LORD will make promises and then refuse to fulfill those promises!

Therefore, the teaching of the preterists cannot possibly be correct.

Jerry Shugart

There is pretty good evidence that almost no one today in israel knows their tribal descendency. There are also only about 8% evangelicals. About the same % are orthodox but the majority are agnostic or NYC liberals.

The LORD will know. Or are you saying that the LORD will be completely ignorant as to whom qualifies as being an Israelite and who does not?

Jerry Shugart

Sins were forgiven by (in accordance with) the new covenant pertaining to the life, death, burial, resurrection, and ascension of our Lord Jesus, and the coming of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:19 NASB - 19 "Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord;

Yes, if the nation of Israel would have repented at Acts and returned to the LORD then she would have began to receive the benefits of the New Covenant.

But she did not repent and she did not receive the benefits of the New Covenant.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yes, if the nation of Israel would have repented at Acts and returned to the LORD then she would have began to receive the benefits of the New Covenant.

But she did not repent and she did not receive the benefits of the New Covenant.
How else would the Gentiles have received the benefits of the new covenant, apart from Israel seeing the coming of the new covenant in the person of Jesus Christ God's Son?

northwye

The Greek word ethnos is found in Matthew 24: 14 and in Romans 11: 25, as well as in many other New Testament texts. Strong's defines ethnos, number 1484, as "A race, i. e. a tribe, specifically a foreign non-Jewish one,pagan, Gentile, heathen, nation people."

In the New Testament King James Version ethnos is translated most of the time as either Gentiles or nation (nations). Its translated as heathen in Acts 4: 25 and as peoples in Acts 8: 9 and in Romans 10: 19.

Ethnos could have been translated as nations or peoples in Romans 11: 25.

Young's Literal Translation ( 1898)
—" For I do not wish you to be ignorant, brethren, of this secret—that ye may not be wise in your own conceits—that hardness in part to Israel hath happened till the fulness of the nations may come in;"

Use of nations for ethnos instead of Gentiles makes it easier to see that Romans 11: 25 is talking about the same thing as in Matthew 24: 14, "And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come."

The issue of who the Israel is in Romans 11: 26 is not about translation of ethnos, but about Romans 9: 6, "For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel" and also Romans 2: 28-29, and some other texts of Paul in Romans, I Corinthians and Galatians. In Romans 9: 6 Paul is saying that not all of Old Covenant Israel was brought into Israel when Christ remade it. He explains in Romans 11: 25 that a remnant was elected by grace,and in that text of Romans 11: 1-5 he starts by saying that not all of God's people were cast away and mentions a remnant in the time of Elijah. A remnant of Old Covenant Israel was brought into the New Covenant to begin again God's plan of redemption in Christ. It is this Israel remade in Christ that is the all Israel which shall be saved in Romans 11: 26, not all Old Covenant Israel as a house.

Paul is not using hyperbole in a rhetorical and exaggerated way in saying all Israel shall be saved when he means that some of Old Covenant Israel will be saved. The only other way all Israel can be saved is for all Israel to be only the elect of God, which that Israel is.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The ethnos are found in Matthew 24: 14 and in Romans 11: 25, as well as in many other New Testament texts. Strong's defines ethnos, number 1484, as "A race, i. e. a tribe, specifically a foreign non-Jewish one,pagan, Gentile, heathen, nation people."

In the New Testament King James Version ethnos is translated most of the time as either Gentiles or nation (nations). Its translated as heathen on Acts 4: 25 and as peoples in Acts 8: 9 and in Romans 10: 19.

—" For I do not wish you to be ignorant, brethren, of this secret—that ye may not be wise in your own conceits—that hardness in part to Israel hath happened till the fulness of the nations may come in;"

Use of nations for ethnos instead of Gentiles makes it easier to see that Romans 11: 25 is talking about the same thing as in Matthew 24: 14, "And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come."

The issue of who the Israel is in Romans 11: 26 is not about translation of ethnos, but about Romans 9: 6, "For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel" and also Romans 2: 28-29, and some other texts of Paul in Romans I Corinthians and Galatians. In Romans 9: 6 Paul is saying that not all of Old Covenant Israel was brought into Israel when Christ remade it. He explains in Romans 11: 25 that a remnant was elected by grace, meaning in that text where he starts by saying that not all of God's were cast away and mentions a remnant in the time of Elijah. That is, a remnant of Old Covenant Israel was brought in to the New Covenant to begin again God's plan of redemption in Christ. It is this Israel remade in Christ that is the all Israel shall be saved of Romans 11: 26, not all Old Covenant Israel as a house.

Paul is not using hyperbole in a rhetorical and exaggerated way in saying all Israel shall be saved when he means that some of Old Covenant Israel will be saved. The only other way all Israel can be saved is for all Israel to be only the elect of God, which that Israel is.
Jesus did not remake Israel. That is your wrong view.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
If God cheats on the Jews then how can we be sure He will not cheat on us?

God will keep His promises to Israel and He will keep His promises to the church.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

God will keep His promises to Israel and He will keep His promises to the church.
When you say Israel and the church, there was a church in the wilderness... but aside from that Israel came first and they still exist. Those in the church may be from or a part of Israel.

Danoh

The Greek word ethnos is found in Matthew 24: 14 and in Romans 11: 25, as well as in many other New Testament texts. Strong's defines ethnos, number 1484, as "A race, i. e. a tribe, specifically a foreign non-Jewish one,pagan, Gentile, heathen, nation people."

In the New Testament King James Version ethnos is translated most of the time as either Gentiles or nation (nations). Its translated as heathen in Acts 4: 25 and as peoples in Acts 8: 9 and in Romans 10: 19.

The issue of who the Israel is in Romans 11: 26 is not about translation of ethnos, but about Romans 9: 6, "For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel" and also Romans 2: 28-29, and some other texts of Paul in Romans, I Corinthians and Galatians. In Romans 9: 6 Paul is saying that not all of Old Covenant Israel was brought into Israel when Christ remade it. He explains in Romans 11: 25 that a remnant was elected by grace,and in that text of Romans 11: 1-5 he starts by saying that not all of God's people were cast away and mentions a remnant in the time of Elijah. A remnant of Old Covenant Israel was brought into the New Covenant to begin again God's plan of redemption in Christ. It is this Israel remade in Christ that is the all Israel which shall be saved in Romans 11: 26, not all Old Covenant Israel as a house.

Interesting "twist" you propose there - retranslate a word, not so that it fits the narrative it was meant to, rather; that it fit the one you want it to fit.

Thanks for the "one size fits all" glimpse into the very means by which "one size fits all" as a "theology" came into being.

Ben Masada

Do you really want to know how? Read Jer. 46:28. Of the other nations, God will eventually get rid of them but of Israel, He will only chastise us as we deserve. and that's how. That's not God cheating but teaching that universal salvation comes from the Jews. (John 4:22)

northwye

According to the tradition of men, dispensationalism, Israel in scripture means only Old Covenant Israel, and cannot mean an Israel other than Old Covenant Israel. But this contradicts several texts of Paul. The most explicit texts dispensationmalism disagrees with are Romans 2: 28-29 and Romans 9: 6-8. Galatians 3: 3, 16, 26-29 say that the seed of Abraham is Christ alone and that all are the children or seed of God by faith in Jesus Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek in Christ, all are one, and if you are Christ's seed, then you are the seed of Abraham and heirs of the promise. The physical bloodline from Abraham defining who is part of Old Covenant Israel, was changed.

The two covenants do not exist side by side. The New Covenant replaced the Old Covenant. "He taken away the first, that he may establish the second." Hebrews 10: 9

The Bible does not say in a very explicit way that Christ changed Old Covenant Israel and created an Israel - always Israel is the people of God - reborn in Christ. This gives the dispensationalists their "loophole" to insert their doctrine that Old Covenant Israel still exists as the chosen of God alongside the dispensationalist Church, translated from ekklesia.

Lewis S. Chafer said that dispensationalism has
"...changed the Bible from being a mass of more or less conflicting
writings into a classified and easily assimilated revelation of both
the earthly and heavenly purposes of God, which reach on into eternity
to come.." Lewis. S. Chafer, Dispensationalism, Bibliotheca Sacra, 93 (October 1936), 410, 416, 446-447

Lewis S. Chafer was one of the main classical dispensationalists, following John Darby and C.I Scofield. He founded the Dallas Theological Seminary. Here Chafer admits that the tradition of men called dispensationalism has "changed the Bible.

Chafer admits that dispensationalists themselves made changes in the Bible. They did not change the text, at least not until they took over so many denominations, but they changed the interpretations of some fundamental strands of the Gospel. So, dispensationalist interpretation of the Gospel of Christ is man leaning to his own understanding, contrary to Proverbs 3: 5 - "lean not unto thine own understanding."

Ben Masada

According to the tradition of men, dispensationalism, Israel in scripture means only Old Covenant Israel, and cannot mean an Israel other than Old Covenant Israel. But this contradicts several texts of Paul. The most explicit texts dispensationmalism disagrees with are Romans 2: 28-29 and Romans 9: 6-8. Galatians 3: 3, 16, 26-29 say that the seed of Abraham is Christ alone and that all are the children or seed of God by faith in Jesus Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek in Christ, all are one, and if you are Christ's seed, then you are the seed of Abraham and heirs of the promise. The physical bloodline from Abraham defining who is part of Old Covenant Israel, was changed.

The two covenants do not exist side by side. The New Covenant replaced the Old Covenant. "He taken away the first, that he may establish the second." Hebrews 10: 9

The Bible does not say in a very explicit way that Christ changed Old Covenant Israel and created an Israel - always Israel is the people of God - reborn in Christ. This gives the dispensationalists their "loophole" to insert their doctrine that Old Covenant Israel still exists as the chosen of God alongside the dispensationalist Church, translated from ekklesia.

to come.." Lewis. S. Chafer, Dispensationalism, Bibliotheca Sacra, 93 (October 1936), 410, 416, 446-447

Lewis S. Chafer was one of the main classical dispensationalists, following John Darby and C.I Scofield. He founded the Dallas Theological Seminary. Here Chafer admits that the tradition of men called dispensationalism has "changed the Bible.

Chafer admits that dispensationalists themselves made changes in the Bible. They did not change the text, at least not until they took over so many denominations, but they changed the interpretations of some fundamental strands of the Gospel. So, dispensationalist interpretation of the Gospel of Christ is man leaning to his own understanding, contrary to Proverbs 3: 5 - "lean not unto thine own understanding."

You say above that the New Covenant replaces the Old Covenant. How is that if the New Covenant was also established with the House of Israel and the House of Judah? (Jer. 31:32)

HisServant

It is unthinkable that God would not keep His promise.

You are saying the same things the Jews said that had Christ killed.

Just because he doesnt fulfill them the way that you personally want does not make them unfulfilled.

According to Jesus and the Apostles, they have ALL been fulfilled... if you want to be honest and actually believe them, then you have to approach interpreting things within that framework.

The Jews were expecting a King to sit on the physical throne of David and rule them... but we all know that to be false.

Danoh

Your ignorance in your approach when attempting to arrive at another's intended sense through words is obvious - for it is obvious from the above Ryrie quote that he was referring, to the change in approach that seeking to sort out the Bible's endless; seeming contradictions resulted in.

And that is a claim all schools of thought are forced to assert they too have attempted to solve for.

Your problem is that the Dispensationalist - even the Acts 2 Dispensationalist - forgot to check with the likes of a lost man's own attempts at solving for this same issue, way back in the 1st Century - Josephus, and his parrots, thereafter - your school of "thought."

I say that while in great disagreement with Acts 2 Dispensationalism.

northwye

The spiritual blindness of Old Covenant Israel that Romans 11: 7 and Romans 11: 25 talks about is the spiritual condition of the multitude of physical Israel from the time of Christ to now in 2015. That majority or multitude of physical Israel absolutely does not want the Gospel of Christ or Christ as their Messiah. They are of the spirit of anti-Christ of I John 4: 3.

Romans 11: 25, interpreted by Matthew 24: 14, says that the spiritual condition of blindness by Old Covenant Israel toward the Gospel of Christ will continue the same until the last person who is of the elect of God is saved. When the last elect person in the nations, peoples or Gentiles has been saved, then it will be the end of the age and Christ will be here. Before the age ends, all those who have been elected to salvation will have been saved.

The question is who is physical Israel in 2015, and who will be physical Israel right before the end of the age, when only a very few of the elect in the nations, peoples or Gentiles have not yet been saved? The dispensationalists appear to say that physical Israel is the nation called Israel over in the Middle East, and they imply that physical Israel is made up now of those in Talmudic Judaism.

The dispensationalists focus themselves strongly upon physical Israel, and Christians who are not dispensationalists often believe that they also have to focus on the issue of physical Israel to defend the Gospel of Christ from the dispensationalist errors. Yet almost none of the dispensationlists nor the Christians who are not dispensationalists make an effort to evangelize the Jews in Talmudic Judaism.

Many - or even most - dispensationalists do not even know a Jew personally, or have had close friends or girl friends or boy friends who are Jewish. If they have had close Jewish friends, they know how difficult it is to change the Jewish attitude toward Jesus Christ and the Gospel, which is all the teachings of Christ and his apostles.

You must have the truth in order to be en effective evangelist to bring any of the Jews to the knowledge of the truth. Knowledge of the truth carries with it some anointing which is seen by those who God is leading toward waking up.

Galatians 3, 3, 16, 26-29 implies with a certainty that the way of entering Israel by the physical bloodline is no longer in effect. John 3: 1-7 says everyone must be born again in Christ to enter the kingdom of God. So, physical Israel cannot be saved as a house because of their bloodline. This does not mean that some who are in Talmudic Judaism or in Messianic Judaism cannot come to the knowledge of the truth (I Timothy 2:4), and some will do so, maybe a larger number than before at any time in history. "

"And they that understand among the people shall instruct many: yet they shall fall by the sword, and by flame, by captivity, and by spoil, many days." Daniel 11: 33

"And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12: 17

Dispensationalists though, are teaching that the entire house of physical Israel will be saved when God goes back to a dispensation of law, which is nowhere in scripture.

Dispensationalists reject the teaching on the remnant and that in the history of redemption God has turned away from the multitute who are in false doctrines and practices and has used the remnant to begin again his work toward redemption. Jeremiah 6: 9 says "they shall throughly glean the remnant of Israel."

Dispensationalists see only the multitude of Old Covenant Israel and not the remnant. It is the multitude in Romans 11: 17-20 which is broken off because of unbelief, while the remnant (Romans 11: 5) is beloved for the sake of the fathers in Romans 11: 28. The fathers are Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. You have to put two and two together to make truth in scripture, "precept must be upon precept, line upon line, here a little and there a little." Isaiah 28: 10 Two plus two must equal four and cannot be any other number, not five., for example.

Jerry Shugart

Just because he doesnt fulfill them the way that you personally want does not make them unfulfilled.

Let us look at the following promise the LORD made to David in regard to the land:

"Now therefore so shalt thou say unto my servant David...I will appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in a place of their own, and move no more; neither shall the children of wickedness afflict them any more, as beforetime" (2 Sam.7:8,10).​

"And move no more"! This promise according to the Davidic covenant is restated later by the prophet Jeremiah:

"For I will set mine eyes upon them for good, and I will bring them again to this land: and I will build them, and not pull them down; and I will plant them, and not pluck them up" (Jer.24:6).​

"And not pluck them up"! The prophet Amos says the same thing:

"And I will bring again the captivity of my people ...And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God" (Amos 9:14,15).​

Therefore we can understand that the Lord has made promises to David in respect to the promised land that have not yet been fulfilled. There has never been a time when the children of Israel have been brought back to the promised land and have not "been pulled up out of their land" (unless that is being fulfilled now).

Since the preterists have no place for the fulfillment of this promise in their eschatology they say;

You overlook the fact that the LORD said that He would fulfill His promises which He made to David and He will not alter those promises:

"I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant...Nevertheless my loving-kindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David" (Ps.89:3,33-35).​

Since the preterists have no place in their eschatology for the fulfillment of these promises of the LORD they make Him a liar because, according to them, the LORD will never fulfill those promises.

Last edited: