the church

KingdomRose

so why did Jesus say
-And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter
-and
-And I will give unto thee the keys
-and
-feed My sheep

Jesus called Peter "petros," which is of masculine gender and means "a PIECE of rock," distinct from the word Jesus used to describe the "rock" upon which he would build his church---"petra," of feminine gender and meaning "a mass of rock."

Jesus was not using synonymous terms.

That the apostles did not understand Jesus' statement to signify that Peter was the mass of rock, is evident from the fact that they later disputed about who seemed to be the greatest among them. (Mark 9:33-35; Luke 22:24-26) There would have been no basis for such disputing had Peter been given the primacy as the mass of rock on which the church was to be built.

The Scriptures clearly show that as foundation stones, ALL THE APOSTLES ARE EQUAL. All of them, including Peter, rest upon Jesus Christ as the foundation cornerstone (Ephesians 2:19-22; Revelation 21:2,9-14) Peter himself identified the mass of rock (petra) on which the church is built as being CHRIST. (I Peter 2:4-8)

KingdomRose

Yes he is, though not in Matthew 16:18, where Jesus specifically presents Peter as "the rock" (nothing is said of a "cornerstone"), and Christ himself as the Builder of the Church.

Merely a Straw Man Fallacy on your part. Apparently, this is the only way you feel you can "score points" against Christ's Church. Nice try, though.

Uh uh. Read my post directly above.

dodge

Jesus called Peter "petros," which is of masculine gender and means "a PIECE of rock," distinct from the word Jesus used to describe the "rock" upon which he would build his church---"petra," of feminine gender and meaning "a mass of rock."

Jesus was not using synonymous terms.

That the apostles did not understand Jesus' statement to signify that Peter was the mass of rock, is evident from the fact that they later disputed about who seemed to be the greatest among them. (Mark 9:33-35; Luke 22:24-26) There would have been no basis for such disputing had Peter been given the primacy as the mass of rock on which the church was to be built.

The Scriptures clearly show that as foundation stones, ALL THE APOSTLES ARE EQUAL. All of them, including Peter, rest upon Jesus Christ as the foundation cornerstone (Ephesians 2:19-22; Revelation 21:2,9-14) Peter himself identified the mass of rock (petra) on which the church is built as being CHRIST. (I Peter 2:4-8)

RC'S seem to have missed or not understand "little stone" as opposed to Jesus "FOUNDATION STONE".