the church

KingdomRose

Why should we? God has always used material things as means of his grace.

Of course not. Why, did you really assume that we did? :darwinsm:

Why do you assume that they're unnecessary?

Yes, in that we ask them to intercede for us before the throne of God.

Why do you do that when St. Paul said that there is ONE mediator between God and men, Jesus Christ? (I Timothy 2:5) Nowhere in the Bible is there any direction to pray through saints.

God has not "always" allowed idols into His worship. He specifically commanded, "Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the waters under the earth. Thou shalt not adore them, nor serve them." (Exodus 20:4,5, New Catholic Edition)

Whoops! You goofed.

God's Truth

That's where you keep messing up. I asked you to quote the scripture that says that Jesus went to the prison of those spirits who DIED. Where does it say they DIED? Is that hard to understand?

How many times do you need to be shown the truth?

For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

That's where you keep messing up.

KingdomRose

How many times do you need to be shown the truth?

For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

That's where you keep messing up.

No, Sparky, YOU keep messing up the discussion because you have two different scriptures confused.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
there is a lot of confusion
-free will?
-does it matter what we do?
-must we forgive others?
-must we go to church?
-is there an authority?

HisServant

Because they are academically qualified Greek scholars (and Protestants to boot!), and you decidedly are not. I can quote several additional non-Catholic Greek scholars on this point as well if you like. Shall I, then?

And any idiot can try to promote his own ignorance over the specialized knowledge of academically qualified Greek experts, but nobody's going to buy it for a moment. Better quit while you're ahead, friend. You're just embarrassing yourself.

What did Jesus say about the scribes and scholars?

What did he say about who was going to lead us into truth? (hint: it isn't the church).

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the church is man made
-the bible is man made
-God inspires men and women to do His work
-but
-the bible is very clear about this
-only the church
-has the authority to guide us
-many are called
-but
-few are chosen to guide us
-beware of wolves in sheep's clothing

HisServant

the church is man made
-the bible is man made
-God inspires men and women to do His work
-but
-the bible is very clear about this
-only the church
-has the authority to guide us
-many are called
-but
-few are chosen to guide us
-beware of wolves in sheep's clothing

1.) The bible is NOT man made, it is God breathed through mankind.

2.) The bible never speaks about a Church... it speaks about an assembly or congregation of called individuals.

3.) The RCC is THE WOLF that scriptures warn us about.

HisServant

thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church

The word church there is an extremely inaccurate translation.

You would also have to reconcile the FACT that the 3 other accounts of this incident say nothing about this at all.

Mark 8:27-30, Luke 9:18-20 and John 5:66-71. All are accounts of Peters confession that Jesus was the Christ... None of them talk about the supposed primacy of Peter or the keys... why is that?

The answer, is that it has absolutely no importance in the economy of salvation.

I honestly think, and the Holy Spirit affirms it... that the RCC has built is entire authority doctrine based on a marginal inclusion into one of the ancient texts or it was put in there purposefully to deceive.