The Heroic Gunslinger Fantasy

PureX

Like I said, it's an idea to idea examination. Toss the bath water, but keep the baby. And that's where we need to rise above the partisan noise and make progress that makes sense and benefits everyone involved.
Unfortunately, this seems to be where a lot of people just can't seem to maintain a grasp of reality. The moment the term "guns" comes up, a lot of people, some on the left but most on the right, just seem to lose all sense of reason and proportion. They cannot even see the "baby in the bathwater", because they have been trained to despise the bathwater with a blinding contempt. And so it becomes all about expressing that blinding contempt, no matter how insane and irrational that is. Any mere suggestion of gun regulation immediately becomes a total repeal of the second amendment, and an all out assault on all human freedoms, in the minds of gun proponents.

And this completely extreme and irrational mode of thinking is being amplified, justified, and endlessly reinforced by the NRA and the other message-mongers paid for by gun manufacturers. The result being that it's nearly impossible to even have a sensible conversation about the issue. Let alone actually develop any sensible, effective means of curtailing the excessive gun violence we're experiencing in this country.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately, this seems to be where a lot of people just can't seem to grasp the concept. The moment the term "guns" comes up, a lot of people, some on the left but many on the right, just seem to lose all sense of reason and proportion. They cannot even see the "baby" in the "bathwater". And so it becomes all about the bathwater, no matter how insane and irrational that is. Any mere suggestion of gun regulation immediately becomes a total repeal of the second amendment, and an all out assault on all human and individual freedoms in the minds of gun proponents.

And this completely extreme and irrational thinking is being amplified, justified, and endlessly reinforced by the NRA and the other message-mongers paid for by the gun manufacturers. The result being that it's nearly impossible to even have a sensible conversation about the issue. Let alone actually develop any sensible, effective means of curtailing the excessive gun violence in this country.

A security blanket that kills people. What a racket.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No rule ever makes anything safer. What the rule does is to teach people.
The rule mandates that people are taught and that in turn makes a thing safer. Knowledge and training working to a common good.

Or a right-wing politician like Huckabee. :up:
Sure. The point is the point, not who comes up with it.

Promoting understanding and safety is great. :thumb:
:thumb: And that's what requiring testing, certification and periodic recertification can accomplish.

However, there has to be consideration over what is the best means to achieve that end. Making regulations — demanding that people go through a course — might create a spike in understanding, but there is good reason to believe that it would only be that — a temporary gain
Actually, there's reason to believe it does much more than that, beginning with driver's license training and testing by mandate.

before the notion that the safety issue has been "taken care of" creates apathy toward genuine learning.
I don't agree. You can't mandate that a person learns from a course, but the chances are they will and that will impact their conduct. And I'd also favor periodic recertification, which would tend to help the lessons stick as they do when we understand we'll need them again.

More to the point, having seat belt regulations and education won't make everyone a safe driver or ensure that everyone uses their belts, but the data supports a dramatic impact of both and there's no reason to suggest the same impact can't be felt in relation to gun owners and be sustained in much the same fashion.

I know my training is still with me and helped shaped my attitude about how I approach my weapons. If it does that for any substantive number of people it could make a profound difference.

...a regulation that says you have to pass a test before you can use a gun teaches people they have to answer questions correctly and pay a fee before they will be accepted under the law.
It does more than that (though I didn't suggest a written only test and wouldn't). It teaches you something that is then yours to apply and given what's taught is beneficial to you it raises the likelihood of your being a responsible gun owner. No guarantee, but as with driver's tests, at least there's a greater knowledge base and the opportunity that wasn't there prior. Not perfect, but a step that can help and, again, benefit everyone involved.

This creates animosity toward the law, because there are those who will not meet its standards and there are those to whom the test would be childish.
We don't have contempt for law because of laws or contempt for knowledge that is helpful if we're rational.

A fundamental law, such as the death penalty for murder — along with its swift and public execution — teaches people that they must be good, while proper restitution and compensation laws teach that mistakes must also be accounted for.
I'd rather stay on the particular topic and talk about what we can and in this climate are likely to allow. Revisiting fundamental aspects of our legal system isn't that thing.

We do not have those. We have a myriad of regulations that change when we cross state or national lines that only encourage people to give up their right to self-defense.
I think your conclusion about people is wrong and at the very least arguable, as a gun owner in a country with more of me and guns than anywhere in Western civilization. I would, however, agree that a uniform approach tends to be a better one, where possible. And uniform certification would be one of those possibilities.

The key is that adding to the regulations — they have already been shown ineffective — will only exacerbate the problems.
First, you've only asserted, not demonstrated that regulations are ineffective and I've answered on one among many points that reject that premise, as the holder of a valid driver's license and someone who uses his safety belt. Going beyond that first point to the notion that safety regulations would exacerbate the problem they demonstrably combat isn't a point I have to argue until you make the first leg.

The answer is to redact the fluff and implement good, foundational laws.
Or, any number or rules an regulations do, in fact and demonstrably, make us safer. The trick is to weed the ineffective and to identify and pursue the beneficial. I think training and certification is a good place to begin given the productive and demonstrable history in line else with that sort of thing.

GuySmiley

There is no such thing as "sensible legislation that has a shot at reducing crime." Criminals do not care about the law. It does not matter how many laws you put in place prohibiting something, they simply do not care.

Laws do not and can not prevent crime, they can only punish crime. This is even true of God's laws which is why Jesus came to save us from judgment under the law.
Punishing crime deters crime. I don't want to live in the world where you try to make it impossible to commit crime. I don't want to live in 1984.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Punishing crime deters crime. I don't want to live in the world where you try to make it impossible to commit crime. I don't want to live in 1984.

Actually deterrence is very much up for debate (many studies cast a lot of doubt on it) and punitive measures don't do much to decrease crime or its root causes.

GuySmiley

Unfortunately, this seems to be where a lot of people just can't seem to maintain a grasp of reality. The moment the term "guns" comes up, a lot of people, some on the left but most on the right, just seem to lose all sense of reason and proportion. They cannot even see the "baby in the bathwater", because they have been trained to despise the bathwater with a blinding contempt. And so it becomes all about expressing that blinding contempt, no matter how insane and irrational that is. Any mere suggestion of gun regulation immediately becomes a total repeal of the second amendment, and an all out assault on all human freedoms, in the minds of gun proponents.

And this completely extreme and irrational mode of thinking is being amplified, justified, and endlessly reinforced by the NRA and the other message-mongers paid for by gun manufacturers. The result being that it's nearly impossible to even have a sensible conversation about the issue. Let alone actually develop any sensible, effective means of curtailing the excessive gun violence we're experiencing in this country.
Or instead of blinding contempt, maybe they watch the news, or took a history class.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, it doesn't.

It mandates that people pass a test.
Now you're just being contentious and goofy. But suit yourself. If you can pass a test you know the information on it. What you do with it goes to your character and intent.

But again, that's had an overwhelmingly positive impact on us as drivers and there's no real, objective, demonstrable reason to believe it wouldn't have a positive impact on gun owners.

Granite

Hall of Fame
No, but I don't think it's helpful to dismiss the other side as simply insane either.

That word may be hyperbolic but PureX does have a point. By and large, gun owners respond irrationally and hysterically (often at literally the worst times) at even the hint of common sense, prudence, good judgment, and regulation. That's not exactly a good look, as it were.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Now you're just being contentious and goofy.
Actually, I was hoping to highlight the extremely important point that has been made: Regulations do not make us any safer.

If you can pass a test you know the information on it. What you do with it goes to your character and intent.
And generally speaking, people have poor character and ill intent. Thus should not rely on a test as the foundation of gun safety.

We should put our faith in good, foundational laws.

But again, that's had an overwhelmingly positive impact on us as drivers and there's no real, objective, demonstrable reason to believe it wouldn't have a positive impact on gun owners.
Who would you tend to trust more behind the wheel; a 15-year-old who grew up on a farm, or a city kid who had passed a test?

PureX

Or instead of blinding contempt, maybe they watch the news, or took a history class.
Well, that's part of the problem. Especially when the news isn't news, but corporate propaganda dressed up to look like news, and the history isn't history, but America's cultural fantasies dressed up to look like history. Which is exactly what the 'pro-gun nuts' are taking for news and history, and using to maintain their absurdly irrational positions on gun ownership, use, and the second amendment.

HisServant

Well, that's part of the problem. Especially when the news isn't news, but corporate propaganda dressed up to look like news, and the history isn't history, but America's cultural fantasies dressed up to look like history. Which is exactly what the 'pro-gun nuts' are taking for news and history, and using to maintain their absurdly irrational positions on gun ownership, use, and the second amendment.

Its not a fantasy or culture... its guaranteed by our constitution... calling it a fantasy or culture is just media spin you have bought into hook line and sinker.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Its not a fantasy or culture... its guaranteed by our constitution... calling it a fantasy or culture is just media spin you have bought into hook line and sinker.

Not what he's talking about.

Is it honestly possible for you to think about anything other than your precious guns for a second?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
To the same degree that locks keep honest people honest. Besides, we don't punish crime, we send criminals to criminal school with three squares and a cot.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
AN interesting thing about the second amendment is that while it conveys, or recognizes if you prefer, the right to keep and bear arms, it does not convey the right to use those arms.

If you want to go hunting you have to have a tag for the animal you want to bag. If you are caught with an animal and no tag, its called poaching and jail time may well be involved.

Pulling you gun and not using it opens up to prosecution for felony menacing.

Convicted felons are denied the right to keep and bear arms.

People with restraining orders or family abuse charges are denied the right to keep and bear arms.

Pulling that gun and using it to defend yourself open you up to investigation for criminal charges such as murder or attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and others. You may avoid criminal prosecution based on make my day laws or stand your ground laws. If you are convicted that is the end of your gun ownership.

And while you may not face criminal prosecution, you may well face civil litigation for wrongful death or loss of livelihood. The burden of proof is much lower in civil court and the fact that you were not charged with a crime counts for exactly nothing. It is a trial by jury, and there may be several people on that jury that don't like guns. And civil jury verdicts need not be unanimous to convict (depending on your state). And win or lose, you must pay for your defense.

Something to consider the next time you pull your gun in anger or fear.

HisServant

Not what he's talking about.

Is it honestly possible for you to think about anything other than your precious guns for a second?

I don't own a single gun and do not plan on purchasing one.

Is it impossible for you to look at things objectively?

The real answer here is that there is nothing we can legally do to restrict guns UNLESS we pass a constitutional amendment... and given the demographics of this country and the amendment process, it would be pretty darn near impossible to get such an amendment passed....