Spammers wasteland

Spammers wasteland

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Good to see Nang's taking a little break. She was beginning to get on my nerves a wee bit. There's only a certain amount of "crankiness" a man can take. I think she's a "GET OFF MY LAWN" type of Gal?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I mean no offense to Nangster, I'm almost certain she has acquaintances that can withstand her personality? So far as PPS goes, I used to help a friend of mines Mom who had Alzheimers/Dementia and she made more sense on one of her worst days than he does on one of his best.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It would be impossible for them NOT to work together. That's not Synergy, that's because of perichoresis.

Yes, the circumincession, that is, the intimate union, mutual indwelling, or mutual interpenetration of the three members of the Trinity with each other (John 17:20-21; John 8:12-16; John 10:37-39; John 14:8-11).

God’s oneness is characterized by his uniqueness (Unitas Singularitatis). There is an absolute distinction between the Creator and the created; there is God and there is everything else (material and immaterial). God’s oneness is also characterized by his simplicity (Unitas Simplicitatis). God in His perfection is not susceptible to divisions. God “is infinite in being and perfection, a most pure spirit, invisible, without body, parts, or passions”. Commenting on this A.A. Hodge stated, “For an essential division in the one Godhead would in effect constitute two Gods; besides, the scriptures teach us that the Christian Trinity is one undivided God . . .” Finally, it can be said that God’s oneness is found in his mutual indwelling (perichoresis).

As I noted previously, "as long as we are not assuming the Persons of the Godhead are capable of not working together, which is implied, albeit unstated, if one is saying the Persons of the Godhead are cooperating with one another"

We may say the subsistences of the Godhead work together as long as in the saying we are not harboring any notions that it is possible for them to not work together. There is but one will of God, mutually indwelled, wholly partaken of, by all the members of the Godhead.

I think we run into trouble using the word "synergy" in this discussion, as the word has theological baggage related to soteriology wherein there is the Arminian assumption that the unsaved sinner cooperates with the drawing of the Spirit, said cooperation possessing the power to deny the drawing of the Spirit. In other words, there is the synergy of salvation in Arminianism, and then there is the plain word "synergy" implying a combined effect greater than the mere sum of parts. Best not to use words that are overloaded with other theological ramifications unless one carefully spells things out beforehand to avoid confusion.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you for entering the discussion and sharing points for additional consideration. I do have a couple of question, which does not surprise you, I am sure!

I agree with "natures are, persons do" but is there any difference or separation of will within the Godhead? I think not, for I believe the one purpose and will of God is the perichoresis that binds all the (decreed) actions of God into One revealed and salvific Truth.
There is no separation of the will of God. God is simple, not consisting of parts that can be decomposed. The circumincession describes the "mechanism", if you will, of the mutuality of the three subsistences of the Godhead.

And defining the distinctions within the Godhead, as personal properties, does not eliminate the problem of suggested persons that must co-operate in order to remain on the same track as each other, does it?

IOW's defining the will, does not quite address the validity of suggesting necessity and requirements within the workings of God, in the same manner as synergism suggests is worked between God and mankind in regards to salvation.
See my most recent previous post wherein I recommend use of the word "synergy" be carefully explained to avoid this issue.

If synergism, as we believe, does not work salvation on earth, why would it exist in heaven?
The word synergism, used in a soteriological context, has no applicability to describing the interworkings of the Godhead. Persons may use the word in discussions about the Godhead, but they will need to clearly divorce the word from its usual salvific contexts beforehand to avoid confusion.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The direct assertion by Tambora was that such working together by Father, Son, and Holy Spirit was Synergy; and it was originally when confronted about having admitted a Monergistic Soteriology position without realizing it. She then retreated from Soteriology to Theology Proper as a typical Arminian smokescreen to insist Synergy was relative to Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

My apologies for not having followed the thread from the beginning. It seems to me the resolution of real or imagined dispute is a simple matter of asking but one question:

Is the will of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, one will or three separate wills, with each separate will being possessed by each member of the Godhead?

The only right answer is: there is but one will of God. The will is attached to the nature. God has but one nature (a divine nature), therefore, but one will. The divinity of the three members of the Godhead is the one divine nature of God. Our Lord also now possesses a human nature that cannot be confused, mixed, divided, or separated from the mystical union with Our Lord's divine nature. Moreover, Our Lord's human will, attached to His human nature, was not ever out of accord with Our Lord's divine will, else He could not have been our savior. This is the faith we confess and we deny these things at our eternal and temporal peril.

AMR

john w

Hall of Fame

God’s oneness is characterized by his uniqueness (Unitas Singularitatis). There is an absolute distinction between the Creator and the created; there is God and there is everything else (material and immaterial). God’s oneness is also characterized by his simplicity (Unitas Simplicitatis)

And I thought he was a quarterback....You need to slow this down, a tad, for us country bumpkins, as we are still trying to put on our propozons, and synergisms......

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And I thought he was a quarterback....You need to slow this down, a tad, for us country bumpkins, as we are still trying to put on our propozons, and synergisms......
God's uniqueness: there is a chasm between God, the uncreated, and that which He created as relates to their modes of existence. This helps us avoid the error of thinking we can fully apprehend God (know all there is to know about Him), for if we could, then we would be God.

God's simplicity: God is not composed of parts, as in a human being, which is a complex comprising many parts. This helps us to avoid the notion that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit comprise three parts of God. See this: https://goo.gl/SXt987

AMR

john w

Hall of Fame
God's uniqueness: there is a chasm between God, the uncreated, and that which He created as relates to their modes of existence. This helps us avoid the error of thinking we can fully apprehend God (know all there is to know about Him), for if we could, then we would be God.

God's simplicity: God is not composed of parts, as in a human being, which is a complex comprising many parts. This helps us to avoid the notion that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit comprise three parts of God. See this: https://goo.gl/SXt987

AMR

Is "chasm" like a proposon? Did you like Johnny Unitas? He threw into many chasms, I reckon.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
There is no separation of the will of God. God is simple, not consisting of parts that can be decomposed. The circumincession describes the "mechanism", if you will, of the mutuality of the three subsistences of the Godhead.

See my most recent previous post wherein I recommend use of the word "synergy" be carefully explained to avoid this issue.

Exactly. Here is the definition Tambora insisted repeatedly MUST be applied to Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

noun: synergism

The interaction or cooperation of two or more organizations, substances, or other agents to produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects.
"The synergy between artist and record company."

Synonyms:
cooperative interaction, cooperation, combined effort, give and take

Origin:
Mid 19th century: from Greek sunergos ‘working together,’ from sun- ‘together’ + ergon - ‘work.’

There are many problems with attempting to do so, and they were all explained thoroughly to no avail.

Anyone professing synergy for Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is promoting Tritheism and disannulling the incommunicable attributes of God. It's blasphemy, especially when corrected consistently.

The word synergism, used in a soteriological context, has no applicability to describing the interworkings of the Godhead. Persons may use the word in discussions about the Godhead, but they will need to clearly divorce the word from its usual salvific contexts beforehand to avoid confusion.

AMR

(Bolded above) PRECISELY. It shouldn't take you coming here for someone to be corrected of such egregious intentional obfuscation and stubborn pride.

Synergy was even used by Tam with the example of one "sawing" and another "hammering", etc. A total innovation and contrivance of the kind that should be publicly and collectively corrected by all.

My apologies for not having followed the thread from the beginning. It seems to me the resolution of real or imagined dispute is a simple matter of asking but one question:

Is the will of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, one will or three separate wills, with each separate will being possessed by each member of the Godhead?

The only right answer is: there is but one will of God. The will is attached to the nature. God has but one nature (a divine nature), therefore, but one will. The divinity of the three members of the Godhead is the one divine nature of God. Our Lord also now possesses a human nature that cannot be confused, mixed, divided, or separated from the mystical union with Our Lord's divine nature. Moreover, Our Lord's human will, attached to His human nature, was not ever out of accord with Our Lord's divine will, else He could not have been our savior. This is the faith we confess and we deny these things at our eternal and temporal peril.

AMR

Amen and amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.