Soul Sleep?

keypurr

What is the state of the Dead?

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ecc 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion forever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Psa 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
Psa 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Act 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulcher is with us unto this day.

All will be raised

Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshiped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
Rev 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Joh 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
Joh 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

keypurr

Luke 23:42And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!" 43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

They are conscious.

Consider that Jesus was not in Paradise that day. Three days later he said that he had not gone to his father YET.

The comma is misplaced.
I think it should read........ today, you will be with me in paradise.

43 Y'shua said to him, "Truly I say to you today: You will be with me in paradise" AENT

This is how the ARAMAIC ENGLISH New Testament translates it.
This is the language that Jesus used. Not the Greek.

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
Consider that Jesus was not in Paradise that day. Three days later he said that he had not gone to his father YET.

The comma is misplaced.

43 Y'shua said to him, "Truly I say to you today: You will be with me in paradise" AENT

Today, I shall reply: Oh no ! Not the comma again. Who speaks like that? Lame excuse

SaulToPaul 2

I think that about covers it. If something is "as if" then it's what is whether it is one thing or another. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord....could very well be "as if" it were so. I'll just be glad to wake up with the Lord...unless I'm still here when the rapture occurs and that will be cool, too. ;)

Yes, indeed. To me, it's a debate over nothing.

Whether or not we sleep for hundreds or thousands of years in death, we are "immediately" present with the LORD.

fzappa13

Anybody here believe in "Soul sleep" when a person dies?

Are they conscience or brain dead.

What about the great gulf that separates the paradise of the redeemed from hell of the lost. The rich man and Lazurus do not seem to be soul sleeping.

1 Sam 28:7 Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and inquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.

8And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee. 9And the woman said unto him, Behold, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how he hath cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die? 10And Saul sware to her by the LORD, saying, As the LORD liveth, there shall no punishment happen to thee for this thing. 11Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel. 12And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul. 13And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth. 14And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself.

15And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up?

Question: "What does the Bible say about soul sleep?"

Answer: “Soul sleep” is a belief that after a person dies, his/her soul “sleeps” until the resurrection and final judgment. The concept of “soul sleep” is not biblical. When the Bible describes a person “sleeping” in relation to death (Luke 8:52; 1 Corinthians 15:6), it does not mean literal sleep. Sleeping is just a way to describe death because a dead body appears to be asleep. The moment we die, we face the judgment of God (Hebrews 9:27). For believers, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:6-8; Philippians 1:23). For unbelievers, death means everlasting punishment in hell (Luke 16:22-23).

Until the final resurrection, though, there is a temporary heaven—paradise (Luke 23:43; 2 Corinthians 12:4) and a temporary hell—Hades (Revelation 1:18; 20:13-14). As can be clearly seen in Luke 16:19-31, neither in paradise nor in Hades are people sleeping. It could be said, though, that a person’s body is “sleeping” while his soul is in paradise or Hades. At the resurrection, this body is “awakened” and transformed into the everlasting body a person will possess for eternity, whether in heaven or hell. Those who were in paradise will be sent to the new heavens and new earth (Revelation 21:1). Those who were in Hades will be thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:11-15). These are the final, eternal destinations of all people—based entirely on whether or not a person trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation.

Present-day defenders of soul sleep include the Seventh Day Adventist church, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christadelphians, and others. (That is, cults.)

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/soul-sleep.html#ixzz3gpeRfgH8

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Luke 23:42And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!" 43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

They are conscious.

The comma is misplaced.

Completely false, Jesus was in paradise that day and the comma is in the right place . I also think you dont know what paradise was.

This explains the "comma" issue quite well:

Answer: It is common knowledge that punctuation, including commas, was introduced into the biblical manuscripts centuries after the books were completed. Therefore, commas are not authoritative.

However, the placement of commas can affect our understanding of a text. For example, in Luke 23, one of the thieves crucified next to Jesus says, “‘Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.’ Jesus answered him, ‘I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise’” (verses 42-43). Commas help us keep the original phrasing intact. Was Jesus saying, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me . . .” (meaning that “today” is when the thief would be in paradise)? Or was He saying, “I tell you the truth today, you will be with me . . .” (meaning that “today” is when Jesus was speaking”)?

First, we note that every major Bible translation inserts the comma before the word today. Thus, the KJV, NKJV, NASB, NIV, ESV, and RSV all agree that Jesus was speaking of the time that the thief would enter paradise. The thief would be in paradise with Jesus on that very same day.

Also, Jesus prefaced His response with the phrase, “I tell you the truth” (“Verily I say unto thee” in the KJV). Many scholars have noticed that Jesus uses this as a prefix phrase when He is about to say something that should be listened to with care. Seventy-six times in the New Testament, Jesus uses the phrase. Interestingly, no one but Jesus ever says it. When the Lord says “I tell you the truth,” He is affirming that what He is about to say is worthy of special attention. It was Jesus’ way of saying, “Listen up! What I’m about to say is very important and should be listened to carefully.” We’re too used to hearing the phrase to appreciate the astonishing authority it expresses and the often solemn nature of the announcement that follows. In every one of the 76 times Christ uses this introductory phrase, He simply says it and then makes a startling statement.

It would be strange indeed if, in this one instance, Jesus departed from His normal way of making His signature statement by adding the word today to it. In every case where this sort of introductory phrase is used, Greek scholars add a punctuation break after the phrase in question and before the rest of the statement. So, the translators have it right. The comma in Luke 23:43 belongs where they put it.

This brings us to another question. If Jesus was buried and rose after three days and then many days later ascended to heaven, how could He have been in paradise with the thief?

After Christ died, it was His body that was buried in the tomb. However, Jesus’ spirit/soul was not in the tomb. Jesus’ spirit was in the Father’s presence (Luke 23:46; Ephesians 4:8). See more information in our article here.

As Jesus was hanging on the cross, paying our penalty for sin, He made a promise to a dying, repentant thief. By the grace of God and the power of Christ, that promise was kept. The thief’s sins were washed away, and his death that day was his entrance to paradise.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/today-paradise.html#ixzz3gpopXskh

Last edited:

Hawkins

Anybody here believe in "Soul sleep" when a person dies?

Are they conscience or brain dead.

What about the great gulf that separates the paradise of the redeemed from hell of the lost. The rich man and Lazurus do not seem to be soul sleeping.

Concepts:

1. Tasting death
Death is a process for a human soul descending to Hades/sheol. Everyone dies this way with only a few exception (such as Enoch and Elijah). Jesus died this way too.

2. Hades and Paradise
If you are with God, you will be put to a sleep till the resurrection and the Final Judgment come. You can be said to be in paradise this way.

If you are not with God (i.e., the unbelievers generally speaking), you will remain awaken in Hades waiting in the darkness for the Judgment Day to come. You can be said to be in hell this way.

3. Third Heaven and Paradise
Where did Enoch and Elijah go then? They are in yet another place called Abraham's Bosom. It is the paradise where God's chosen saints will remain awaken to continue to bare witnessing for God. Paul somehow was brought here.

Lazarus didn't descend naturally to Hades, he was CARRIED by the angels to Abraham's Bosom. Normal humans on the other hand don't need any angels to carry them to Hades. When they die they descend there naturally.

Moses died a natural death, however he's brought to Abraham's Bosom later on. Samuel also died a natural death, he was put to sleep first, then being brought up. Most likely Samuel was also brought to the Third Heaven after meeting with Saul.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
well considering we arent ressurected at the first ressurection until mid tribulation...

The tribulation(seventieth week of Dan 9) concerns Israel, not the BOC.
BOC believers are resurrected pre-trib, since they are not Israel.

BOC believers are awaiting the resurrection of the body which is not presently saved.

The 'I' is presently saved and goes to be in the Lord's presence at the physical death of the body.
Man is a mind/body dichotomous being. 'I' am not my body.My physical body is a dwelling/tent/tabernacle for the 'I' which is me.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The tribulation(seventieth week of Dan 9) concerns Israel, not the BOC.
BOC believers are resurrected pre-trib, since they are not Israel.

BOC believers are awaiting the resurrection of the body which is not presently saved.

The 'I' is presently saved and goes to be in the Lord's presence at the physical death of the body.
Man is a mind/body dichotomous being. 'I' am not my body.My physical body is a dwelling/tent/tabernacle for the 'I' which is me.
You're so smart.
1sm390teach.gif

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
As soon as you die, you're always watching yourself transform. As you transform into timeless formless event, you're more awake as if you never fell alseep and you see everything past,present, future yesterday, and tommorrow all at once in a instant fsdter than lighting flash. Soul sleep is terrible invention of men and will rob you of your hope. Flee from such denominations that will make your soul sick.