"Son of Man"

marke

That depends on what you mean by the term "Christian".

Israel and the body of Christ are two different things.

Did you even read the OP?

Jesus called Himself the Son of man more then any other term and YET Paul wrote THIRTEEN epistles and NEVER ONCE uses that term to describe Jesus Christ.
I guess Paul referred to Jesus as God come in the flesh after Jesus returned to heaven following His crucifixion. Jesus was born of a virgin as the Son of man, but He now lives as God, Ruler of heaven and earth.

Right Divider

Body part
I guess Paul referred to Jesus as God come in the flesh after Jesus returned to heaven following His crucifixion. Jesus was born of a virgin as the Son of man, but He now lives as God, Ruler of heaven and earth.
You continue to blind yourself to the issue.
Was Jesus wrong to call Himself the Son of man?

Jesus will return to establish His kingdom on the earth and will fulfill His role as the SON OF MAN. That kingdom will be called ISRAEL.

marke

You continue to blind yourself to the issue.
Was Jesus wrong to call Himself the Son of man?

Jesus will return to establish His kingdom on the earth and will fulfill His role as the SON OF MAN. That kingdom will be called ISRAEL.
Jesus is the Son of man, the only begotten of the Father, born of a virgin. But He is also King of Kings and Lord of Lords and will rule over all of creation in His thousand year reign.

Right Divider

Body part
Jesus is the Son of man, the only begotten of the Father, born of a virgin.
Yes, He is.
But He is also King of Kings and Lord of Lords and will rule over all of creation in His thousand year reign.
So?

There are so many myopic Christians such as yourself. You have a little bit of Bible knowledge but are unwilling to see the truth of the bigger picture.

What do you think that this passage means?
Luk 1:31-33 KJV And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. (32) He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: (33) And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
The "throne of His Father David" is the throne of Israel.
The "house of Jacob" is Israel.

TrevorL

Greetings again Right Divider,
Jesus called Himself the Son of man more then any other term and YET Paul wrote THIRTEEN epistles and NEVER ONCE uses that term to describe Jesus Christ.
The Letter to the Hebrews possibly is written by Paul, but the following is where the title “Son of Man” appears, and considered together with Psalm 80:17, both are talking about Jesus, his humanity, and his being strengthened by God to achieve salvation.
Hebrews 2:6-12 (KJV): 6 But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him? 7 Thou madest him a little lowerc than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands: 8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him. 9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Psalm 80:17 (KJV): Let thy hand be upon the man of thy right hand, upon the son of man whom thou madest strong for thyself.

It does not depend on to whom the Letter is written, Jesus IS “The Son of Man” who fulfils both Psalm 8:4 and Psalm 80:17. Psalm 8 is also quoted by Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:21-28.

Kind regards
Trevor

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The Letter to the Hebrews possibly is written by Paul,

We know it wasn't written by Paul.

It does not depend on to whom the Letter is written,

Of course it matters who it's written to.

If you're reading someone else's mail, and respond to it as if it were addressed to you, you're gonna have serious problems in your life.

Right Divider

Body part
Greetings again Right Divider,

The Letter to the Hebrews possibly is written by Paul, but the following is where the title “Son of Man” appears, and considered together with Psalm 80:17, both are talking about Jesus, his humanity, and his being strengthened by God to achieve salvation.
We do not know who wrote the book to the HEBREWS, but it was extremely unlikely to be Paul.

https://theologyonline.com/threads/paul-did-not-write-hebrews-we-do-not-know-who-did.52480/
It does not depend on to whom the Letter is written, Jesus IS “The Son of Man” who fulfils both Psalm 8:4 and Psalm 80:17. Psalm 8 is also quoted by Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:21-28.

Kind regards
Trevor
Every book in the Bible has a target audience (just like every piece of written literature does) and in the case of the book to the HEBREWS.... it's HEBREWS.

Paul never calls Jesus the Son of man.

marke

Yes, He is.

So?

There are so many myopic Christians such as yourself. You have a little bit of Bible knowledge but are unwilling to see the truth of the bigger picture.

What do you think that this passage means?

The "throne of His Father David" is the throne of Israel.
The "house of Jacob" is Israel.
Of course Jesus is going to reign over Israel.

OZOS

We do not know who wrote the book to the HEBREWS, but it was extremely unlikely to be Paul.
It's not a point of contention for me, but I personally lean strongly towards co-authorship of Luke and Paul. Luke being the one who wrote it, as he did Acts, and Paul providing the doctrine.

TrevorL

Greetings JudgeRightly and Greetings again Right Divider,
We know it wasn't written by Paul.
I am of the persuasion that it was Paul.
Of course it matters who it's written to. If you're reading someone else's mail, and respond to it as if it were addressed to you, you're gonna have serious problems in your life.
Every book in the Bible has a target audience (just like every piece of written literature does) and in the case of the book to the HEBREWS.... it's HEBREWS.
The Letter to the Hebrews was specifically written to the Hebrew Christians who were in danger of sliding back into Judaism as the events of AD 70 started to develop, and the exhortation to go outside the camp is very relevant to these Hebrews, showing that they needed to fully espouse the teachings of Jesus and forsake their Jewish heritage. The lessons in this book are beneficial to ALL the believers.
Paul never calls Jesus the Son of man.
An argument from silence is not very strong. Your claim that Paul and Jesus taught different Gospels seem very shallow, and the idea that Jesus and the Apostles will be upon the earth for the 1000 years while Paul and his Gentile converts will be in heaven is ludicrous and not worth discussing.

Kind regards
Trevor

OZOS

The Letter to the Hebrews was specifically written to the Hebrew Christians who were in danger of sliding back into Judaism as the events of AD 70 started to develop, and the exhortation to go outside the camp is very relevant to these Hebrews, showing that they needed to fully espouse the teachings of Jesus and forsake their Jewish heritage. The lessons in this book are beneficial to ALL the believers.
Completely agree with this.

Your claim that Paul and Jesus taught different Gospels seem very shallow, and the idea that Jesus and the Apostles will be upon the earth for the 1000 years while Paul and his Gentile converts will be in heaven is ludicrous and not worth discussing.
Completely disagree with this.

Right Divider

Body part
It's not a point of contention for me, but I personally lean strongly towards co-authorship of Luke and Paul. Luke being the one who wrote it, as he did Acts, and Paul providing the doctrine.
The doctrine in the book to the Hebrews is different from the doctrine in rest of Paul's epistles. Therefore, I disagree.

Right Divider

Body part
Which doctrine is different?
The book of Hebrews is consistent with what you find in Jesus' earthly ministry to Israel. It is also consistent with what you find in the Hebrew epistles (Peter's, John's, Jude, Revelation). That is different than what you find in Paul's epistles.

For example: The book of Hebrews refers to priest or priests 34 times; Paul's epistles -- ZERO.

OZOS

The book of Hebrews is consistent with what you find in Jesus' earthly ministry to Israel.
How so?
It is also consistent with what you find in the Hebrew epistles (Peter's, John's, Jude, Revelation). That is different than what you find in Paul's epistles.
How so?

For example: The book of Hebrews refers to priest or priests 34 times; Paul's epistles -- ZERO.
Paul is comparing the priesthood under the Law, which is inferior, to the Priesthood of Christ.

The writer of Hebrews is appealing to the Jews to abandon all that they had received under the Law, for Christ, who is far better. As you know, they have a different history, than those letters written to the Gentiles. And Paul claims to have spoken to Jews, as one under the Law...

"For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law"

Peter even mentions that Paul wrote to them...

"Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures."

Right Divider

Body part
Paul is comparing the priesthood under the Law, which is inferior, to the Priesthood of Christ.
Paul did not write the book TO THE HEBREWS. Paul is the apostle of the gentiles. Roman 11:13
1Ti 2:7 KJV Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

2Ti 1:11 KJV Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.

The writer of Hebrews is appealing to the Jews to abandon all that they had received under the Law, for Christ, who is far better. As you know, they have a different history, than those letters written to the Gentiles. And Paul claims to have spoken to Jews, as one under the Law...

"For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law"

Peter even mentions that Paul wrote to them...

"Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures."
You are making gross assumptions.

OZOS

Paul did not write the book TO THE HEBREWS.
I disagree
Paul is the apostle of the gentiles. Roman 11:13
Yes, he is, and he also spoke to and wrote to Hebrews. The Bible says so.

"When Silas and Timothy had come from Macedonia, Paul was compelled by the Spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus is the Christ."
You are making gross assumptions.
Quoting God's word is not an "assumption", but rejecting His word is a path to false teaching.

Do you deny that Peter's letter is written to Jews (Hebrews)?
Do you deny that Peter said that Paul wrote to Jews (Hebrews)?
Do you deny that Paul spoke in the synagogues to Jews (Hebrews)?
Do you deny that there were Jews who believed Paul's gospel?
Do you deny that the letter to the Hebrews claims that Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and rose from the dead?

And then there is this... "Know that our brother Timothy has been set free, with whom I shall see you if he comes shortly."
Timothy was Paul's companion and Timothy's mentor.

Right Divider

Body part
I disagree
Go ahead.
Yes, he is, and he also spoke to and wrote to Hebrews. The Bible says so.

"When Silas and Timothy had come from Macedonia, Paul was compelled by the Spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus is the Christ."
When Paul "testified to the Jews", he was talking to them face to fact. In Paul's EPISTLES he was not writing directly to Jews or Hebrews.
Quoting God's word is not an "assumption", but rejecting His word is a path to false teaching.
Well, since I don't reject His word... I'm just fine.
Do you deny that Peter's letter is written to Jews (Hebrews)?
Do you deny that Peter said that Paul wrote to Jews (Hebrews)?
Do you deny that Paul spoke in the synagogues to Jews (Hebrews)?
Do you deny that there were Jews who believed Paul's gospel?
Do you deny that the letter to the Hebrews claims that Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and rose from the dead?

And then there is this... "Know that our brother Timothy has been set free, with whom I shall see you if he comes shortly."
Timothy was Paul's companion and Timothy's mentor.
And, of course, there is only one Timothy that ever lived on earth.

Go look at EVERY epistle that Paul wrote... they ALL start with the word PAUL. Hebrews does NOT.

OZOS

When Paul "testified to the Jews", he was talking to them face to fact. In Paul's EPISTLES he was not writing directly to Jews or Hebrews.
Completely irrelevant. Paul's other letters were to Gentiles. This letter was to Jews.

You ignored these questions...

• Do you deny that Peter's letters are written to Jews (Hebrews)?
  • Do you deny that Peter said that Paul wrote to Jews (Hebrews)?
  • Do you deny that Paul spoke in the synagogues to Jews (Hebrews)?
  • Do you deny that there were Jews who believed Paul's gospel?

"Now it happened in Iconium that they went together to the synagogue of the Jews, and so spoke that a great multitude both of the Jews and of the Greeks believed." Acts 14:1

"Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the Jews. Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and demonstrating that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, “This Jesus whom I preach to you is the Christ.” And some of them were persuaded; and a great multitude of the devout Greeks, and not a few of the leading women, joined Paul and Silas." Acts17:1-4

"Then the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea. When they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. Therefore many of them believed, and also not a few of the Greeks, prominent women as well as men." Acts 17:10-12

"And he (Paul) reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks." Acts 18:4

"Then Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his household." Acts 18:8

And, of course, there is only one Timothy that ever lived on earth.

Timothy was both a brother that was half Jew and a believer in Jesus. Philemon and Philippians were addressed from Paul and Timothy, while in prison. It's the same Timothy.

The author of Hebrews is preaching Jesus as the Christ for a "heavenly calling".

"Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, Christ Jesus" Heb 3:1

Go look at EVERY epistle that Paul wrote... they ALL start with the word PAUL. Hebrews does NOT.
Irrelevant. Paul is the apostle to the Gentiles, yet, as clearly proven to you, Paul reached out by letter to the Jews. And, this letter was most likely written by Luke, accompanied by Paul concerning who Jesus is and what He has done. Luke does not preface Acts, or his gospel, by mentioning his own name either.

My responses provide ample evidence, while yours are nothing more than stomping your feet in protest.

Right Divider

Body part
Completely irrelevant. Paul's other letters were to Gentiles. This letter was to Jews.

You ignored these questions...

• Do you deny that Peter's letters are written to Jews (Hebrews)?
  • Do you deny that Peter said that Paul wrote to Jews (Hebrews)?
  • Do you deny that Paul spoke in the synagogues to Jews (Hebrews)?
  • Do you deny that there were Jews who believed Paul's gospel?

"Now it happened in Iconium that they went together to the synagogue of the Jews, and so spoke that a great multitude both of the Jews and of the Greeks believed." Acts 14:1

"Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the Jews. Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and demonstrating that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, “This Jesus whom I preach to you is the Christ.” And some of them were persuaded; and a great multitude of the devout Greeks, and not a few of the leading women, joined Paul and Silas." Acts17:1-4

"Then the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea. When they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. Therefore many of them believed, and also not a few of the Greeks, prominent women as well as men." Acts 17:10-12

"And he (Paul) reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks." Acts 18:4

"Then Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his household." Acts 18:8

Timothy was both a brother that was half Jew and a believer in Jesus. Philemon and Philippians were addressed from Paul and Timothy, while in prison. It's the same Timothy.

The author of Hebrews is preaching Jesus as the Christ for a "heavenly calling".

"Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, Christ Jesus" Heb 3:1

Irrelevant. Paul is the apostle to the Gentiles, yet, as clearly proven to you, Paul reached out by letter to the Jews. And, this letter was most likely written by Luke, accompanied by Paul concerning who Jesus is and what He has done. Luke does not preface Acts, or his gospel, by mentioning his own name either.

My responses provide ample evidence, while yours are nothing more than stomping your feet in protest.
Paul did not write the book to the Hebrews no matter how much you stomp your feet in protest.