Should Christians Play "Call of Duty"

Selaphiel

There are a couple of things to note, here.

One is that if these kinds of games were effecting us, we probably would not know it. Yet we all THINK we would. And I find that troubling.

Why wouldn't we know or at least have a good theoretical basis for denying it? The research that is done shows no connection between violence and playing videogames. And games is not a minority activity anymore, games like Call of Duty is sold to over 20 million people.

Another point is that the effect of these games may not be to make us more prone to violence, but to make us view violence more unrealistically, or maybe even positively. So that we would tend to condone violence by others (like our government, by vigilantes, or as self-defense, etc.) more easily and readily. And this sort of effect would certainly run contrary to the command "thou shalt not kill". Or the command to "love our enemies, and pray for them".

But this is mere speculation, not research. There is a clear difference between real violence and videogame violence. Even the most realistic of games is not anywhere near realism. I've played all sorts of videogames for over 20 years myself, and I sympathize with pacifist points of view. If this was a real problem, then it should be fairly easy to demonstrate that gamers are more prone to violence or to such views, I do not think that is the case.

Regarding it being "just fantasy"; if fantasy is so harmless, then why isn't it OK to fantasize about having sex with your neighbor's wife? Or about owning his stuff? It seems to me that such fantasies are distinctly forbidden. So why would violent killing fantasies be excluded?

There is huge difference between fantasizing about killing people and playing a game, you cannot simply equate the two.

Videogames is just the latest scapegoat. Before videogames it was heavy metal, then it was rock, then it was comic books and television and even books.

And finally, these games have age ratings. Obviously a 10 year old should not be playing Grand Theft Auto.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Regarding it being "just fantasy"; if fantasy is so harmless, then why isn't it OK to fantasize about having sex with your neighbor's wife? Or about owning his stuff? It seems to me that such fantasies are distinctly forbidden. So why would violent killing fantasies be excluded?

I don't think playing video games is comparable to the other examples you presented. Presumably when someone is playing COD they aren't fantasizing about killing someone they actually know, it's all fictional, abstract.

Now, perhaps you could say that lusting after even a fictional or made-up woman is sinful so why wouldn't fantasizing about killing fictional and made-up characters be sinful too. However, that assumes that someone is getting pleasure from the killing itself and is fantasizing about killing, which might not be true. The enjoyment might be more about the competition and strategery and skill involved in the games. The killing can be incidental.

PureX

I don't think playing video games is comparable to the other examples you presented. Presumably when someone is playing COD they aren't fantasizing about killing someone they actually know, it's all fictional, abstract.
Do you think a video game wherein you have sex with your neighbor's wife would be appropriate for Christians, then? Or a game where you steal your neighbor's stuff? Is it OK if the "victims" are anonymous, or imaginary? Do you think the commandments only apply to behavior toward those we personally know or know to exist?
Now, perhaps you could say that lusting after even a fictional or made-up woman is sinful so why wouldn't fantasizing about killing fictional and made-up characters be sinful too. However, that assumes that someone is getting pleasure from the killing itself and is fantasizing about killing, which might not be true. The enjoyment might be more about the competition and strategery and skill involved in the games. The killing can be incidental.
I think you've missed the point of why lusting is a sin as opposed to acting on lust. The lusting itself is the sin, because sin is a spiritual transgression against others, not just a physical transgression against others. So that lusting after a stranger's wife is just as much a sin as lusting after my neighbor's wife. And is just as much a sin as lusting after some imaginary wife. And keep in mind that these games go to a lot of trouble to make these fantasy acts appear as real as possible.

And if lusting in my imagination is a sin, as I believe that is the intended transgression in the commandment, then lusting to kill in my imagination would also be a sin. In both cases, I am pleasuring myself at the expense of others, regardless of whether I am doing so at their actual expense. And I believe the essence of the commandment is focussed on the internal transgression, and not just on the external act.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can still remember the day when several folks thought that if you played with a deck of cards or a set of dominoes, you were of the devil.

As with anything, one's level of comfort varies. And thus, what is allowable to them varies.

Paul spoke of such things when he explained that he would not eat what another considered to be unclean food while he was eating with them (even though he knew it was perfectly permissible for him to eat it).
What was allowable to him was a stumbling-block to another.
He even goes as far as to call them the weaker brethren.
But he cared enough about them to not make them unnecessarily uncomfortable just for the sake of being right.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would love for someone to back their opinion with scripture!

I don't play video games, but since you asked about a video game where the players are liberators abroad, as opposed to stealing cars, here you go.

Romans 13

4 For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I think you've missed the point of why lusting is a sin as opposed to acting on lust. The lusting itself is the sin, because sin is a spiritual transgression against others, not just a physical transgression against others. So that lusting after a stranger's wife is just as much a sin as lusting after my neighbor's wife. And is just as much a sin as lusting after some imaginary wife. And keep in mind that these games go to a lot of trouble to make these fantasy acts appear as real as possible.

And if lusting in my imagination is a sin, as I believe that is the intended transgression in the commandment, then lusting to kill in my imagination would also be a sin. In both cases, I am pleasuring myself at the expense of others, regardless of whether I am doing so at their actual expense. And I believe the essence of the commandment is focussed on the internal transgression, and not just on the external act.
I think you missed what my point was, which is that playing a video game that involves killing doesn't necessarily mean that you are lusting or fantasizing about violence and killing.

PureX

I think you missed what my point was, which is that playing a video game that involves killing doesn't necessarily mean that you are lusting or fantasizing about violence and killing.
Yet clearly, you are having "fun" (getting joy from) the imaginary killing of imaginary people. How is that different from having "fun" (getting joy from) the imaginary sexual interlude with some imagined man/woman other than your spouse? The latter is expressly forbidden for Christians. So why wouldn't the former be as well? How are they different?

way 2 go

Yet clearly, you are having "fun" (getting joy from) the imaginary killing of imaginary people. How is that different from having "fun" (getting joy from) the imaginary sexual interlude with some imagined man/woman other than your spouse? The latter is expressly forbidden for Christians. So why wouldn't the former be as well? How are they different?

COD is a game about winning and victory
virtual hogans alley

a sport :box:

Mr. 5020

It's not a sin, unless it's a sin to you.

If you're convicted, stop.

We're strict with our kids, but I'm pretty good at dying in COD.

ARMcCarley

I don't see anything wrong with a Christian playing games like COD. But if you felt convicted then by all means stop playing. Perhaps there could be some concern about being desensitized to violence and the value of human lives and if someone feels that then they should avoid it.

What did you feel convicted about?

I didn't see how I was giving glory to God.. I know its not real but I thought to myself, "something is wrong with having fun shooting people, does this edify Christ?"

Spitfire

I think there are few key differences between violent and sexual content here. Violence in these games generally means engaging enemy combatants who will fight back rather than unprovoked, malicious attacks. If it's a game where you do murder people outright and maliciously, then it's probably not a reflection of a healthy state of mind and spiritual wellness if you take great delight in it. Most people, however, would be horrified by the idea of actually doing such a thing in real life. If it's sexual on the other hand, then the idea isn't necessarily horrifying even if you understand it to be immoral. It may cause some dissonance, but it's probably not something you would never consider actually doing and you may take pleasure in imagining that it really were happening, which makes it more of a real temptation.

If that makes any sense.

PureX

I still don't see a moral difference between having fun "killing bad guys" in a fantasy game and having fun "raping sluts and robbing banks" in another fantasy game. And Yet I feel certain that few Christians would approve of the latter. So why is the former then acceptable?

Spitfire

I still don't see a moral difference between having fun "killing bad guys" in a fantasy game and having fun "raping sluts and robbing banks" in another fantasy game. And Yet I feel certain that few Christians would approve of the latter. So why is the former then acceptable?
Because we see a huge difference?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't see how I was giving glory to God.. I know its not real but I thought to myself, "something is wrong with having fun shooting people, does this edify Christ?"
But you are not having fun shooting people, because you are not shooting people.

You are not the WHORE OF BABYLON because you play a harmless game.

You are not a Satan worshiper because you play a harmless game.

You are not blaspheming God because you play a harmless game.

Personally, I think you are being way too legalistic about this.

I play the war game Command & Conquer.
It has different armies to pick, and each different army has a specialty that the others don't have.
Just because I choose China army to be my base doesn't mean that I support China over America.
Why?
Because it's a game, not real life!!!!
It just means that at this time, I want to play with the characters that the China army has.
Next, I may be America.

But hey, if these type games make you feel "dirty", then you should definitely stay away from them.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This just blows my mind.
I can't figure out how you think not killing people (because it's a fantasy game) could be on the same level as actually killing people in real life.

I can guarantee ya that I do not think about killing people in real life when I play the game. It's totally different.

ARMcCarley

But you are not having fun shooting people, because you are not shooting people.

You are not the WHORE OF BABYLON because you play a harmless game.

You are not a Satan worshiper because you play a harmless game.

You are not blaspheming God because you play a harmless game.

Personally, I think you are being way too legalistic about this.

I play the war game Command & Conquer.

It has different armies to pick, and each different army has a specialty that the others don't have.

Just because I choose China army to be my base doesn't mean that I support China over America.

Why?

Because it's a game, not real life!!!!

It just means that at this time, I want to play with the characters that the China army has.

Next, I may be America.

But hey, if these type games make you feel "dirty", then you should definitely stay away from them.

So I asked the question?... I stated why I felt the way I did. Why so hostile.

All sin is equally damning but does not have a equal result. The bible says we can't serve two masters and it also tells me there are things of the world and of God. So which is Games that promote violence and murder. When you look on a woman with lust in your heart is it real?... Jesus says yes. I guess it's looking at it through biblical glasses. I wouldn't want Jesus to walk in on me playing out the idea of killing.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
It's not normative Christians who play violent games. It is the Constantinian Christians who became part of the violent Roman Empire in 325 AD.

Conservative, heaven and hell Christians (unlike Jesus) love violence and revenge.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So I asked the question?... I stated why I felt the way I did. Why so hostile.
Hostile?
You think I'm being hostile?

All sin is equally damning but does not have a equal result.
Excuse me?
The equal result is death.

The bible says we can't serve two masters and it also tells me there are things of the world and of God.
Are you trying to equate a game with God as your masters, and you need to get rid of one of the masters?
You're going to be throwing things out of your house all day long if that is your reasoning.
As a matter of fact, you ain't taking none of your possessions with you.
Are all your possessions considered to be "masters"?
Chunk them all!

So which is Games that promote violence and murder.
Sorry, the game does not promote violence and murder to me?
You might want to ask yourself why it does promote those things to you.

When you look on a woman with lust in your heart is it real?
If it's a real living breathing woman, yeah.

If it's not a real woman, then there is no possible way to follow up on your lust. So, your lust is pretty much dead in it's tracks.

(BTW, I am a woman. But I know what you meant.)

... Jesus says yes.
So do I.

I guess it's looking at it through biblical glasses. I wouldn't want Jesus to walk in on me playing out the idea of killing.
Maybe you will be around long enough to watch Jesus do a bunch of killing when He returns.
What are you going to do ---- tell Him, "Stop that, it ain't a Godly thing to do" ????

Anyway, as I have already said, if playing such a game is a stumbling-block for you, then that is enough reason to avoid them.
I won't begrudge you that.
What I do mind is that it needs to be considered a stumbling-block for everyone.
Cause it ain't a stumbling-block for me.
It doesn't male me want to promote violence and murder at all.

ARMcCarley

This is what I meant by the statement "every sin is equally damning but does not have equal results" equally damning is death that sin delivers but equal results refers to carnal consequences, I should have been more clear on that.

And no I will not tell Christ to stop cutting the unbelievers with his sword. He is righteous in all things including justice.

I can understand your point that video games are not real, I guess I just don't like the fact of killing real or fake people.