Should Christians Play "Call of Duty"

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Garbage in...Garbage out, I won't allow it in my household either. The games I allow my sons to play is limited & rather benign. It really doesn't matter whether it is real or fantasy, I believe it effects them emotionally, I have seen it. Would you allow your kids to play "Grand Theft Auto" ? Gratuitous killing, stealing, virtual rape? I don't think that a case could be made that these things edify in any way, in fact they oppose the values I intend to instill in my sons that will some day be men.

:up: I don't know which games are what but I would not play games that are as you described. I do play zombie shooting games and I would have no problem with a game where you are only rewarded for killing the "bad guy".

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is what I meant by the statement "every sin is equally damning but does not have equal results" equally damning is death that sin delivers but equal results refers to carnal consequences, I should have been more clear on that.
Thanks for the clarity!

And no I will not tell Christ to stop cutting the unbelievers with his sword. He is righteous in all things including justice.
Me either!

I can understand your point that video games are not real, I guess I just don't like the fact of killing real or fake people.
I get your concern over it. I really do.
You should avoid the games.

vfirestormv

Or any game that requires killing others....

I want to see yall's opinion. I used to play shooting games and felt convicted about it. Is there a certain line such as alien shooting?

Well playing Call of duty should be a sin because the game is lame... LOL j/k But really I don't care for it, but I do sometimes play Arma3 which is an awesome military sim. I also like games like Tomb Raider, adventure games. I think as long as you don't let the game play you you are fine. In my opinion anyway. But that can go for anything, whenever we let anything take the place of our time for prayer and study and worship, then we have problems.
But I do see a problem in where do we draw the line. Which games go too far? But the games I play usually have a bad guy.

PureX

This just blows my mind.
I can't figure out how you think not killing people (because it's a fantasy game) could be on the same level as actually killing people in real life.
I didn't say that, so you're puzzled over nothing.
I can guarantee ya that I do not think about killing people in real life when I play the game. It's totally different.
And yet your avatar is toting a pistol, and your political bias is in favor of maximum penalties for all crimes all the time (no tolerance, no mercy).

Don't you think your affinity for the use of violence and death as a solution to the "bad guys" of the world may be influenced by games that reward you as a player for it? And make it 'fun' and exciting for you to "pretend"?

And if you have not been influenced by these violent retribution games to be more accepting of violent retribution, then why would you feel any differently about a game that makes "raping the sluts", or, "robbing your neighbors", or "torturing pedophiles" fun and acceptable?

It's not just the games. I think that as a culture we have glorified violent retribution for so long that it has become an acceptable solution to a lot of problems, in many of our minds. And these games exacerbate that acceptance. We claim we are not being influenced, but I think the games themselves are proof that we have already been influenced by the abundance and glorification of violence in our culture. That's why the games are fun to us, instead of creepy, as would be a game that glorifies rape, or robbery, or torture.

PureX

Well playing Call of duty should be a sin because the game is lame... LOL j/k But really I don't care for it, but I do sometimes play Arma3 which is an awesome military sim. I also like games like Tomb Raider, adventure games. I think as long as you don't let the game play you you are fine. In my opinion anyway. But that can go for anything, whenever we let anything take the place of our time for prayer and study and worship, then we have problems.
But I do see a problem in where do we draw the line. Which games go too far? But the games I play usually have a bad guy.
I agree that there seems to be a matter of degrees, here. When the "bad guys" are abstract cartoons, it's hard to imagine a game that involved destroying them to be a moral issue. Yet other games use very realistic characters and violent imagery. And the fact that they "take some getting used to" in that way should tell us that they are not morally inert.

It seems to me that just the fact that they make the idea of violence and destruction, 'fun', is probably not a good thing for us, morally speaking.

Quincy

There are a couple of things to note, here.

One is that if these kinds of games were effecting us, we probably would not know it. Yet we all THINK we would. And I find that troubling.

Another point is that the effect of these games may not be to make us more prone to violence, but to make us view violence more unrealistically, or maybe even positively. So that we would tend to condone violence by others (like our government, by vigilantes, or as self-defense, etc.) more easily and readily. And this sort of effect would certainly run contrary to the command "thou shalt not kill". Or the command to "love our enemies, and pray for them".

Regarding it being "just fantasy"; if fantasy is so harmless, then why isn't it OK to fantasize about having sex with your neighbor's wife? Or about owning his stuff? It seems to me that such fantasies are distinctly forbidden. So why would violent killing fantasies be excluded?

I think it depends on the person and their mental stability, whether or not they become desensitized from media violence. Witnessing violent material in games is no different than seeing it in movies, tv or reading about it in books. Some people realize it's just entertainment and some people get really sucked into it. I don't think everyone gets desensitized.

I agree with you though, when it comes to fantasy. If you think it's wrong to have a fantasy about immoral behavior then some games, like Grand Theft Auto, are probably not for you.

Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Yet clearly, you are having "fun" (getting joy from) the imaginary killing of imaginary people. How is that different from having "fun" (getting joy from) the imaginary sexual interlude with some imagined man/woman other than your spouse? The latter is expressly forbidden for Christians. So why wouldn't the former be as well? How are they different?
Just a couple thoughts. Some of which is a repeat of what Spitfire mentioned.

First, games like COD put you in the place of a military person. Most Christians have no problem with war, provided it is one they feel is just. Most Christians do not feel that all violence is wrong. Which is why there is a difference between games like GTA and ones like COD.

Second, you still seem to be missing what I'm saying (unless we're just talking past each other), which is that the imaginary killing can almost be incidental to the fun being had. I don't know how much that would be the case though, it's speculative to some degree. An interesting experiment could be to present two games to a group of people, COD and then a game just like COD except it's paintball guns or you're just tagging people. Then see how many people prefer the the traditional warfare game. I do suspect that more people would still prefer COD, but that may tie back into my first point which is that most feel there's nothing wrong with going after bad guys and may even get some enjoyment out of the thought of being one of the the good guys who are doing it. Which is still different than the sexual gaming situations you are presenting.

Now, what if there was a game in which you got married and had sexual relations with your spouse? :think:

:eek:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I didn't see how I was giving glory to God.. I know its not real but I thought to myself, "something is wrong with having fun shooting people, does this edify Christ?"

No, it probably isn't edifying to Christ or yourself.

PureX

First, games like COD put you in the place of a military person. Most Christians have no problem with war, provided it is one they feel is just. Most Christians do not feel that all violence is wrong. Which is why there is a difference between games like GTA and ones like COD.

Second, you still seem to be missing what I'm saying (unless we're just talking past each other), which is that the imaginary killing can almost be incidental to the fun being had. I don't know how much that would be the case though, it's speculative to some degree. An interesting experiment could be to present two games to a group of people, COD and then a game just like COD except it's paintball guns or you're just tagging people. Then see how many people prefer the the traditional warfare game. I do suspect that more people would still prefer COD, but that may tie back into my first point which is that most feel there's nothing wrong with going after bad guys and may even get some enjoyment out of the thought of being one of the the good guys who are doing it. Which is still different than the sexual gaming situations you are presenting.

Now, what if there was a game in which you got married and had sexual relations with your spouse? :think:

I think there is a problem, however, with the fact that "most Christians have no problem with war, provided it is one they feel is just". Because Jesus did clearly teach us to love our enemies, and refrain from returning violence with violence. It's one thing to very reluctantly engage in violence as a matter of a last resort defense. It's another thing entirely to revel in the presumed righteousness of it, and even play at it as a game. And I think our culture has reveled in the presumed righteousness of reciprocal violence for so long that many Christians have succumbed to this sin, to the degree that they don't even see it as a sin, anymore. And I think that's why a game that involves reciprocal violence doesn't elicit the least bit of moral discomfort in most modern Christians, whereas a game involving sexual violence clearly would.

I'm not passing any judgments one way or the other. But I think this is a discrepancy that Christians ought to be addressing within themselves.

Lon

Great thread and great input on both sides. Thanks.

As a parent, I want to hear all sides. Good job all of you and thank you.

Quincy

I wish we all really played Dark Souls or Diablo instead. We should all be able to agree that the extermination of demons is a worthwhile pursuit, imaginary or not.

Every gamer I know in person is playing DS or Diablo 3 yet for some reason there are 20+ million people out there buying Call of Duty every year, yet I'm the only person here that I know of who does it, or will admit it at least, lol.

I'm sure it exist....... in Japan at least. A game called Hatoful Boyfriend came out this year that's from Japan. You play as a female pigeon who's at college and you date other pigeons...... a pigeon dating sim. So I'm sure a marriage sim exist, it's got to :chuckle: .

kmoney

Hall of Fame
A game called Hatoful Boyfriend came out this year that's from Japan. You play as a female pigeon who's at college and you date other pigeons...... a pigeon dating sim. So I'm sure a marriage sim exist, it's got to :chuckle: .

:rotfl:

The Japanese are so crazy.

:rotfl:

Quincy

Yes, yes they are. I heard someone over there just opened a burger shop, where the burgers are made of crab meat.......

1284588421_8.jpg

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I think there is a problem, however, with the fact that "most Christians have no problem with war, provided it is one they feel is just". Because Jesus did clearly teach us to love our enemies, and refrain from returning violence with violence. It's one thing to very reluctantly engage in violence as a matter of a last resort defense. It's another thing entirely to revel in the presumed righteousness of it, and even play at it as a game. And I think our culture has reveled in the presumed righteousness of reciprocal violence for so long that many Christians have succumbed to this sin, to the degree that they don't even see it as a sin, anymore. And I think that's why a game that involves reciprocal violence doesn't elicit the least bit of moral discomfort in most modern Christians, whereas a game involving sexual violence clearly would.

I'm not passing any judgments one way or the other. But I think this is a discrepancy that Christians ought to be addressing within themselves.

I think there is some truth in what you say here.

:e4e: