Should Christians celebrate New Years Day?

clefty

Christ died to free me from the law. Why n the world would I want to put myself under your law?

Lol...my law?...First its moses’...now mine...

“If you love My keep My commandments do what thou whilst you are lawless” there fixed it for you...

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Should Christians celebrate New Years? No. It is a sin to pop firecrackers anyways. Bottle rockets in particular will get you sent strait to the fires of hell. Fifth ring, cook.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Here is a 27 minute video study that goes into the relevant passages, together with his illustrating of the timeline of Jesus' conception and birth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjPwltc5_74&app=desktop

Though it'd be quicker to just read Watchman's post.

Either way, these things are not always a soundbyte or two, but demand a bit more elbow grease.

Act 17: 11, 12.

Thank you Danoh. Most 'Christians' can't go beyond a surface reading of scripture or whatever their pastor says on Sunday. For those who really want to know Jesus we can't but help to read and watch as much as possible.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Stop. You are arguing from silence and going back to fill it...He is clear the first of the year began the first of this month...not initiating a new religious year starting opposite end of the year...

These people had been so long in Egypt they had no idea of anything else but pharoahs timing...IF THAT
Citation needed. (You make stuff up and believe it. This is delusional)
Yah had to clue them into the sequence of days in the week as they had not a clue...now moses was trained and knew more but again of Egypt’s way
Again you are postulating.
...here he is being instructed of what His counting was...green barley month is 1st month...trumpets blow 6 months later...

Even the placement of text indicates the first of the calendar year was instructed first THEN the feast of trumptets...
Citation!
This start was so random
Yeah! We have a God who's so random. No plan. Just making it up as He goes along. Where do you get this stuff from?
the count had to be started when the barley began to green...then the year and all its festivals commenced...the seventh month had a fixed day sabbath which really messed things up
What! God messed things up??? It was God who said Trumpets would be a Sabbath or do you think God is a bumbling idiot.
as there might be two sabbaths in a row
Right two Sabbaths in one week! you are so confused.
...so MAN made rules for postponements and so it goes...
The Torah are God's rules not man's rules.
Sure jews celebrate a civil new year the seventh month...but they also drunkenly celebrate Purim also not of Yah...so whatever...
You have no idea about Purim. Or any of the feasts that Jesus kept.
of course they wish to imply turn means NEW YEAR...but turn also means end of harvest season, days and nights equal and the cycle turning into longer nights...

...sigh

NO.

(Lol...To quote another jewish poster here on TOL...)

But please stop.

https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/features/1.615883
Wow, great source Elon Gilad
Writer / Editor at Haaretz He's not even Jewish let alone a Christian. His Bachelor of Arts (BA) was in Philosophy and Political Science. You follow the teachings of a second rate philosopher.
yes and because of this men later had to add the rules of postponement...learned men...scholarly men I am sure but well...men...with a tradition to maintain...much like yourself...

You need to start again.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Lol...my law?...First its moses’...now mine...

“If you love My keep My commandments do what thou whilst you are lawless” there fixed it for you...
What were Jesus's commandments?
Mark 12
[h=3]The Greatest Commandment[/h]28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[e] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[f] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[g] There is no commandment greater than these.”
32 “Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”
34 When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.

Study more the relationship between Jesus and the Pharisees. Jesus was constantly trying to show them that their interpretation of the law was wrong. I see no reason to believe that your teaching of the law is any better than what they taught. I will follow what Jesus actually taught as He is the New Covenant.

clefty

Citation needed. (You make stuff up and believe it. This is delusional)
cite what? Its the biblical new year? http://biblehub.com/exodus/12-2.htm pick your own translation...

Or that the people forgot their ways as slaves? Well moses wasn’t circumcised at birth and manna fell to teach them the weekly Sabbath count...before for they were told to REMEMBER...

Again you are postulating.
about what the manna? Nope. About moses being given to Pharoah’s court to be raised...Nope. All there in exodus.

Citation!
for what the Abib? Or that it was placed in the calander as the 1st month...and then the 7th month is the day of noise...you are more like a inverse christian who replaces the 7th day of the week with the 1st but you replace the 1st month of the year with the 7th month...the diabolical irony

Yeah! We have a God who's so random. No plan. Just making it up as He goes along. Where do you get this stuff from?
in exodus...waiting for the temperature and light to cause the barley to green does not occur predictably nor at the same time each year...then add to that the first new moon after the green is spotted well it certainly is a plan...some years the greening is early or its late...moon cycle are complicated as is the new moon sighting...full or conjunction etc...

What! God messed things up??? It was God who said Trumpets would be a Sabbath or do you think God is a bumbling idiot.
not at all...He did say it is a sabbath but it is not a weekly sabbath and so it floats through the weekly cycle and sometimes would land on Friday or sunday day 6 or 1 and well thats two sabbaths in a row...WHICH MAN HAD A PROBLEM WITH...so they made rules of postponement to fix THEIR problem

Right two Sabbaths in one week! you are so confused. The Torah are God's rules not man's rules.

Yup there they are...the two sabbaths thingy...and about rules of postponement:

http://www.franknelte.net/article.php?article_id=112&print=yes

they are man’s rules...like washing your hands before eating...

You have no idea about Purim. Or any of the feasts that Jesus kept.
drunken purim was not of Yah and doubtful He celebrated it but there are those which wish to insist He did...just like the wish His being at the temple during the feast of dedication means He was celebrating hanukah...maybe maybe not

Wow, great source Elon Gilad
Writer / Editor at Haaretz He's not even Jewish let alone a Christian. His Bachelor of Arts (BA) was in Philosophy and Political Science. You follow the teachings of a second rate philosopher.
your reading level? There are others easily googled...but this isnt just about your reading it...

You need to start again.
doubtful you know what start begin first even is...lol

clefty

What were Jesus's commandments?
Mark 12
[h=3]The Greatest Commandment[/h]28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[e] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[f] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[g] There is no commandment greater than these.”
32 “Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”
34 When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.

Study more the relationship between Jesus and the Pharisees. Jesus was constantly trying to show them that their interpretation of the law was wrong. I see no reason to believe that your teaching of the law is any better than what they taught. I will follow what Jesus actually taught as He is the New Covenant.

How are we to love Him with all...also expressed as we are to love Him as He loved us (with all)...now tell me, how did He love us? what does His love include everything and disallow anything?

We are to love others as we love ourselves...now how is that love any different than what heathens or pagans or muslims or Buddhists or Hindus love? Is our love for each other peculiar in anyway? Maybe set apart? Not of this world? How so?

Please also note the scribe was the one that affirmed this complete love as He loved us is more important than all the burnt offerings and sacrifices...

Its always been “Rather mercy than sacrifice...the just shall live by faith” even in the OT...

Those are but a shadow to the better which is to come...a method of teaching that love before it is actually exemplified for us to follow...JUST AS...His Way His Faith...as He demonstrated in the New Covenant and then signing it with His blood and sealing it with His death.

WatchmanOnTheWall

cite what? Its the biblical new year? http://biblehub.com/exodus/12-2.htm pick your own translation...
You don't even know what a citation is or how to make one.
Or that the people forgot their ways as slaves? Well moses wasn’t circumcised at birth and manna fell to teach them the weekly Sabbath count...before for they were told to REMEMBER...
This just shows your lack of knowledge.
about what the manna? Nope. About moses being given to Pharoah’s court to be raised...Nope. All there in exodus.

for what the Abib? Or that it was placed in the calander as the 1st month...and then the 7th month is the day of noise...you are more like a inverse christian who replaces the 7th day of the week with the 1st but you replace the 1st month of the year with the 7th month...the diabolical irony
Gibberish.
in exodus...waiting for the temperature and light to cause the barley to green does not occur predictably nor at the same time each year...then add to that the first new moon after the green is spotted well it certainly is a plan...some years the greening is early or its late...moon cycle are complicated as is the new moon sighting...full or conjunction etc...
The Sanhedrin made this judgement but you did not know this either.
not at all...He did say it is a sabbath but it is not a weekly sabbath and so it floats through the weekly cycle and sometimes would land on Friday or sunday day 6 or 1 and well thats two sabbaths in a row...WHICH MAN HAD A PROBLEM WITH...so they made rules of postponement to fix THEIR problem
Sabbaths are on days 8, 15, 22 & 29 of each lunar month. I think we've discussed this before.
Yup there they are...the two sabbaths thingy...and about rules of postponement:

http://www.franknelte.net/article.php?article_id=112&print=yes

they are man’s rules...like washing your hands before eating...
That's with the modern 359AD Jewish Hillel II calendar only and does not apply to God's ancient lunar solar Calendar.
drunken purim was not of Yah and doubtful He celebrated it but there are those which wish to insist He did...just like the wish His being at the temple during the feast of dedication means He was celebrating hanukah...maybe maybe not
Yes he did, Jesus turned the water into wine one this feast day.
your reading level? There are others easily googled...but this isnt just about your reading it...

doubtful you know what start begin first even is...lol
What does that even mean?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
How are we to love Him with all...also expressed as we are to love Him as He loved us (with all)...now tell me, how did He love us? what does His love include everything and disallow anything?
I'll let Paula nswer this one:
1 Corinthians 10:23New International Version (NIV)
The Believer’s Freedom
23 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive.

That level of freedom is terrifying to people. They don't understand it but that is the freedom we have in Christ. Paul does go on to add a little more explanation that makes things clearer:

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God—

We are to love others as we love ourselves...now how is that love any different than what heathens or pagans or muslims or Buddhists or Hindus love? Is our love for each other peculiar in anyway? Maybe set apart? Not of this world? How so?[/quoote] I supose the main difference lies in why. See verse 31 immediately above.

Please also note the scribe was the one that affirmed this complete love as He loved us is more important than all the burnt offerings and sacrifices...

Its always been “Rather mercy than sacrifice...the just shall live by faith” even in the OT...

Those are but a shadow to the better which is to come...a method of teaching that love before it is actually exemplified for us to follow...JUST AS...His Way His Faith...as He demonstrated in the New Covenant and then signing it with His blood and sealing it with His death.
And now the Better has come and you cling to the law instead thinking it gives you something it does not, indeed, cannot give you. Following the law means nothing unless you can follow ALL the law (and you MUST follow all the law perfectly for it to be of any benefit to you) and since there is no Temple to make offerings there is no possible way you can keep all the law. So tell me again how keeping a law I cannot possibly keep is better for me than placing my faith in Jesus as my Lord and Savior and trusting to His completed work on the cross?

WatchmanOnTheWall

Lambs were born in the spring not the fall.

Lambs are Lambs for a whole year (at least). And why would God take the Shepherds away from new born lambs that need nursing. By September they would be able to walk and be better protected by their mothers, leaving the Shepherds free to take a wonder over to see the King. :sheep:

Besides this is not scientific. Just read the post I gave you originally.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
And why would God take the Shepherds away from new born lambs that need nursing.

"Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields keeping watch over their flock by night." (Luke 2:8)

The shepherds were overseeing the birthing of the lambs.

Mary consented to becoming pregnant in the sixth month. Nine months later Jesus was born in the first month (Nisan)

Passover lambs were killed in the first month.

They were born in the spring and died a year later at Passover.

WatchmanOnTheWall

"Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields keeping watch over their flock by night." (Luke 2:8)

The shepherds were overseeing the birthing of the lambs.
You are adding to the text.
Mary consented to becoming pregnant in the sixth month. Nine months later Jesus was born in the first month (Nisan)
Based on what verse?
Passover lambs were killed in the first month.

They were born in the spring and died a year later at Passover.
Sure but that fact does not determine when Jesus was born. If you're not going to read the post I gave you or watch the video it's pointless talking to you. Unless you study you will remain as clueless as you already are.

clefty

You don't even know what a citation is or how to make one.This just shows your lack of knowledge. Gibberish.The Sanhedrin made this judgement but you did not know this either. Sabbaths are on days 8, 15, 22 & 29 of each lunar month. I think we've discussed this before. That's with the modern 359AD Jewish Hillel II calendar only and does not apply to God's ancient lunar solar Calendar. Yes he did, Jesus turned the water into wine one this feast day. What does that even mean?

Well at least that is a new one...that water into wine was for Purim for them to drink till they fall down...but I like the argument it wasn’t even alcoholic better...