seemingly contradicting scripture passages

Lon

Overlooking your dismissive condescension, (in your complete post)
No. Don't. it was done for a purpose. You have 'commonsense' in your name. I challenge that as I ever have. Your sentiment is becoming more common, but it has no sense. You are simply an angry agnostic/atheist as any as I've ever come across.

with only slight differences in theology, I suppose you would have no problem worshipping in a Baptist church one Sunday, a Catholic next, after that a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness church the week after that? Maybe a Pentacostal? After all, they're separated by only slight differences. I come to the conclusion that you're unconcerned or unaware of the different theologies based on the Bible.
I'm incredibly better studied than you will ever be with your bias and arrogance intact. Pray for my arrogance. I work against it but this thread kind of took the wind out of my sails in the attempt.
Maybe you should study up....
You are ignorant. I'm not saying ignoramus, so don't take it that way. Simply, you've not a lot of clue and thus your name, though genuinely portrayed on TOL, is not actually common-sense. Common-sentiment? Sure. You really don't know what you are talking about here. Forgive my dismissive attitude. I have a hard time with ignorant arrogance -Lon

Sure...which gospel do you preach?

The gospel of the kingdom
the gospel of the circumcision
the gospel of the uncircumcision
the gospel of God
the gospel of Christ
the gospel of the grace of God
the everlasting gospel
When you throw in cults, we can all be as crazy and wacky as we want to be, but such isn't 'common-sense.' :plain: There is only one gospel, today. You are obfuscating whether you are 'apt' to understand that or not. From what you've said in thread and in the past, you are entirely too arrogant. You just didn't and don't have the theological prowess you'd project. Not even close. You have NO reason to be an agnostic/atheist. None. :nono: You are too cocky for your own good.

6days

commonsense said:
Totton Linnet said:
Why do you worry about denominations? just point out where the bible contradicts itself doctrinally
Sure...which gospel do you preach?

The gospel of the kingdom
the gospel of the circumcision
the gospel of the uncircumcision
the gospel of God
the gospel of Christ
the gospel of the grace of God
the everlasting gospel
In other words... you are unaware of of even one instance of the Bible contradicting itself doctrinally. You believe...but without evidence.

Reactions: Lon

commonsense

You are simply an angry agnostic/atheist as any as I've ever come across. Lon

You're completely wrong...I hope your ego doesn't explode. I'm amused, bemused, been in your shoes and grew. Been where you are and thankfully commonsense prevailed.

I'm incredibly better studied than you will ever be with your bias and arrogance intact. Pray for my arrogance. I work against it but this thread kind of took the wind out of my sails in the attempt. Lon

Nope can't agree to pray for you.

You are ignorant. I'm not saying ignoramus, so don't take it that way. Simply, you've not a lot of clue and thus your name, though genuinely portrayed on TOL, is not actually common-sense. Common-sentiment? Sure. You really don't know what you are talking about here. Forgive my dismissive attitude. I have a hard time with ignorant arrogance -Lon

You're not alone.

When you throw in cults, we can all be as crazy and wacky as we want to be, but such isn't 'common-sense.' :plain: There is only one gospel, today. You are obfuscating whether you are 'apt' to understand that or not. From what you've said in thread and in the past, you are entirely too arrogant. You just didn't and don't have the theological prowess you'd project. Not even close. You have NO reason to be an agnostic/atheist. None. :nono: You are too cocky for your own good.

Lol. Thanks for the well wishes. And...yes I can't work the quote thingy properly so don't start!

Lon

Lol. Thanks for the well wishes. And...yes I can't work the quote thingy properly so don't start!
It isn't that hard :plain:

You're completely wrong...I hope your ego doesn't explode. I'm amused, bemused, been in your shoes and grew. Been where you are and thankfully commonsense prevailed.
I'm entirely too arrogant to ever believe that. I know God is there. You couldn't possibly have been here.

Nope can't agree to pray for you.
The only response you could have given... Went without saying, no?

You're not alone.
Yeah I am. I said 'ignorant' AND arrogant. You really, truly, despite your inept self-assessment, are clueless. Your every post ever proves the point. Tell you what, ask on TOL if anyone thinks you have theological prowess? :nono: I'd be willing to ask the same (actually have that feedback on here). Look at 6-days above as a 'taste' of what I guarantee is site-wide. You have no foundation for common-sense here. None. Nada.

commonsense

You have NO reason to be an agnostic/atheist. None. :nono: You are too cocky for your own good.

Surely agnostic/atheist is the default position for any child/person not indoctrinated. Why should I not be so ? Although indoctrinated. People around the world generally follow the religion they've been brought up in. Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Moslem...Were you trained up to be Christian? In any case was the society you were brought up in predominately Christian? Is this why you are not Taoist?

Lon

Surely agnostic/atheist is the default position for any child/person not indoctrinated. Why should I not be so ? Although indoctrinated. People around the world generally follow the religion they've been brought up in. Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Moslem...Were you trained up to be Christian? In any case was the society you were brought up in predominately Christian? Is this why you are not Taoist?
You are making excuses. I do not come from a Christian family and I live in the most unchurched state in the union. I don't believe agnostic or atheist can be the default position. Both are held cognizant.

commonsense

You are making excuses. I do not come from a Christian family and I live in the most unchurched state in the union. I don't believe agnostic or atheist can be the default position. Both are held cognizant.

God Bless America...seriously, USA is the best neighbour a nation could have. Ever. But you have to admit, everywhere in USA, is seriously Christian influenced and so were you. This is why you don't worship the thousands of gods that have disappeared in the mists of time. You don't worship Ba'al....why would you? You haven't been exposed. But you have been surrounded by "God"....and so you succumb. Which God though...? Yahweh, Elohim, El Shaddai, different gods of the Old Testament somehow amalgamated into the God presented in the NT.

commonsense

In other words... you are unaware of of even one instance of the Bible contradicting itself doctrinally. You believe...but without evidence.
Not admitting that at all...would you admit the bible contradicts itself in instances of fact, or history, or science? Well...is the Bible inerrant or not? Don't be timid...commit!

Lon

God Bless America...seriously, USA is the best neighbour a nation could have. Ever. But you have to admit, everywhere in USA, is seriously Christian influenced and so were you. This is why you don't worship the thousands of gods that have disappeared in the mists of time. You don't worship Ba'al....why would you? You haven't been exposed. But you have been surrounded by "God"....and so you succumb. Which God though...? Yahweh, Elohim, El Shaddai, different gods of the Old Testament somehow amalgamated into the God presented in the NT.
Er, 97% unchurched is 97% unchurched, both as a city and state. This is likely some more of your 'common-sense' that isn't, no?

There are many stories of conversions world-wide. This one is just 'Western' bias so you are wrong, despite protestation. Think more than you currently do.

commonsense

Or English, apparently. Is that it? Skeptics, agnostics, and atheists just attained terribly in school? :think: :think:
(Seriously, THINK! this is a waste of my intellectual prowess and time)

I have a feeling Lon gets beat up on a regular basis

commonsense

Er, 97% unchurched is 97% unchurched, both as a city and state. This is likely some more of your 'common-sense' that isn't, no?

There are many stories of conversions world-wide. This one is just 'Western' bias so you are wrong, despite protestation. Think more than you currently do.
Come on liar...you live in a city and a state that is 97% unchurched...I call BS...Dude why do you have to try and live bigger than reality on the internet? You have a major problem. I don't fear you, more like pity you Oh great pretend intellect. Something most have happened to you during childhood...

commonsense

Come on liar...you live in a city and a state that is 97% unchurched...I call BS...Dude why do you have to try and live bigger than reality on the internet? You have a major problem. I don't fear you, more like pity you Oh great pretend intellect. Something most have happened to you during childhood...
Lets post privately to heal this rift....

6days

commonsense said:
...would you admit the bible contradicts itself in instances of fact, or history, or science? Well...is the Bible inerrant or not? Don't be timid...commit!

Yes, God's Word is inerrant and will always be in harmony with history and science. And, as Totten said, the Bible never contradicts itself doctrinally. There are NUMEROUS instances of historians or evolutionists claiming the Bible was wrong... however, archaeology and science has proved the skeptic wrong.

Dr Luke (Gospel of Luke) was perhaps the world's greatest historian. The research Luke did is reflected in the accuracy of his account. The Gospel of Luke is just one of many historically accurate Books in God's Word.

The Gospel of Luke besides numerous mentions of things with historical and archaeological significance also mentions;
32 countries
54 cities
9 islands.

Because of the numerous mention to countries and cities, Sir William Ramsay thought that this book would be the easiest one to disprove. He along with his archaeological team set out to Asia Minor to prove the Bible wrong. But... a funny thing happened. "Ramsay became so overwhelmed with the evidence he eventually converted to Christianity"

Ramsey said "I began with a mind unfavorable to it...but more recently I found myself brought into contact with the Book of Acts as an authority for the topography, antiquities, and society of Asia Minor. It was gradually borne upon me that in various details the narrative showed marvelous truth"

Luke is a historian of the first rank; not merely are his statements of fact trustworthy...this author should be placed along with the very greatest historians."
http://www.bibleevidences.com/archeology.htm
(I had wrote and posted this previous)

Interesting how so many people say the Bible is filled with errors. Yet for many who are willing to study it with an open mind, such as Sir William Ramsay, it is inerrant.

dodge

Sure, give me a chance and I'll do that for you...but let's face it- with like 1200 different denominations I'm sure Christians themselves will provide me with plenty of doctrinal disputes.

Scripture differences NOT denominational differences.......BIG difference.

commonsense

Yes, God's Word is inerrant and will always be in harmony with history and science. And, as Totten said, the Bible never contradicts itself doctrinally. There are NUMEROUS instances of historians or evolutionists claiming the Bible was wrong... however, archaeology and science has proved the skeptic wrong.

Dr Luke (Gospel of Luke) was perhaps the world's greatest historian. The research Luke did is reflected in the accuracy of his account. The Gospel of Luke is just one of many historically accurate Books in God's Word.

The Gospel of Luke besides numerous mentions of things with historical and archaeological significance also mentions;
32 countries
54 cities
9 islands.

Because of the numerous mention to countries and cities, Sir William Ramsay thought that this book would be the easiest one to disprove. He along with his archaeological team set out to Asia Minor to prove the Bible wrong. But... a funny thing happened. "Ramsay became so overwhelmed with the evidence he eventually converted to Christianity"

Ramsey said "I began with a mind unfavorable to it...but more recently I found myself brought into contact with the Book of Acts as an authority for the topography, antiquities, and society of Asia Minor. It was gradually borne upon me that in various details the narrative showed marvelous truth"

Luke is a historian of the first rank; not merely are his statements of fact trustworthy...this author should be placed along with the very greatest historians."
http://www.bibleevidences.com/archeology.htm
(I had wrote and posted this previous)

Interesting how so many people say the Bible is filled with errors. Yet for many who are willing to study it with an open mind, such as Sir William Ramsay, it is inerrant.

6days...I have to say that I'm in disagreement with your position, and I'll gladly post a rebuttal, with respect, in short order... unlike the unfortunate situation I find myself in with the obviously out-gunned, out-thought loser Lon....

Lon

:nono: 20% 'weekly attendance' 3% membership affiliation. By the numbers, they estimate that those 20% are not regular attenders all of them, but rather average out to regular attendance. You lose. Again, you have NO reason to be a skeptic, atheist, agnostic.
You like that role, without reason or rhyme. :plain: