Scripture. What is considered Scripture?

2003cobra

That is another falsification. I clearly said this:

You have twisted what I said once again. :chuckle:

Perhaps I should be asking you if English is your first language?

I do not believe you because of what comes forth from your mouth, (Mat 15:18-20). And the truth is not an accusation: it simply is what it is, and you have already proven by what comes forth from your mouth that what I say is true, (for the tree is known by its fruit, Mat 12:33).

That says nothing about whether you actually have faith in the Messiah or not. If you do not believe his Testimony then you do not have faith in him. If you do not believe the testimony of his apostles and the authors of the Apostolic writings then you do not believe the Word.

My position should be clear enough to you by now but you chose not to believe what I said when I set forth my position: not only the time just before all of this here and now but also concerning the generations, wherein I quoted much scripture, and you said my post was "nonsense" because you do not wish to allow the Testimony of the Messiah and the scripture therein to shape and mold your position. You were given everything you need in that post to be able to go and search out what I said on your own, and if indeed you had done so, you might have understood why those things are true by now: but as has already been shown and proven time and again, you do not care about actually finding the truth and resolving what you perceive as errors because that would mean that you have been wrong in this thread and in your own failed paradigm. That alone proves that your intellect is essentially your messiah, leader, and authority: the master of your house while the real HouseMaster is as if "away in a far journey", (lol).
Thank you for clarifying that you do not believe God intentionally put errors in the text.

Could you clarify the other three questions that I asked?

Are claiming these stories describe two different historical events?

Are claiming they are both just stories and do not reflect historical events?

Are claiming the errors were put there as a test of our love of the Father?

I would prefer to discuss facts and interpretations.

If you have exhausted all you wish to discuss on the genealogies, perhaps we could go back to the animals of the triumphal entry. Did Jesus tell the Apostles to bring one animal or two? What were the instructions of Jesus?

WatchmanOnTheWall

Appreciate that. It leaves Cobra all by himself on TOL. I don't know why his goal on TOL is to ostracize, especially given his quoting repeatedly Dr. Daniel Wallace saying it isn't a core doctrine (to him). You'd think it was to Cobra, which makes it an odd thread and him an odd person to me. Cobra makes it a core doctrine, himself. I do believe it important. Core? Matthew 4:4 John 6:68 Where else can I go? Not only won't back-down, can't. Only His are the words of life.

I'm more with Cobra than against his pointing out these 'discrepancies'. I find them interesting and helpful in learning new things that support the validity of the Bible. They are there for our benefit I beleive. To try and ignore them or say they are there to test our faith is a mistake. I try to only fear God, where as I do not fear questioning words written in a book (by imperfect men) that have been translated several times and for which the originals are lost and where the oldest surviving fragments don't all match up perfectly either. I am making a right judgement as Jesus taught us to do.

daqq

As for this:
You do not actually have faith in anything but your own intellect...

Now, that is an accusation, and a false one.
I have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His offer of salvation. I follow Him.

I do not have faith in the man-made tradition of inerrancy.

Moreover I am dealing with the root of the problem, a core issue, and you do not like it because your faith is being called into question: but if you do not want that to happen then perhaps you should have thought about that before you commenced doing what you are doing here. You have broken one of the golden rules:

Proverbs 3:5 KJV
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Isaiah 55:6-11 KJV
6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Do you not see how that very Word, whom you say has errors, is the same which has proven the error of your own heart and mind? He is giving you what you came looking for: you asked for black and you have received according to what is already in you.

1 Corinthians 1:25-31 KJV
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

So what I quoted to you before is only "nonsense" to you from the outside looking in.

WatchmanOnTheWall

I try to look past that to what one is really saying. Not only that, John really held his tongue (if you can believe that, I'm proud of him). He only said that which he believed, that Cobra was attacking his flock here on TOL. Realize it is there website and I generally give them the benefit of the doubt. Their theological position of Mid Acts, is often brutally attacked. They do have to watch out for their flock as such.

So, rather, In between those are important verses. In the end, God's word does what He desires. All our so many words are as nothing next to posted scriptures. Isaiah 55:11 John 6:63,68 I have no other car to drive. In Him

Hang on. Is this John W's site?

Reactions: Lon

2003cobra

Moreover I am dealing with the root of the problem, a core issue, and you do not like it because your faith is being called into question: but if you do not want that to happen then perhaps you should have thought about that before you commenced doing what you are doing here. You have broken one of the golden rules:

Proverbs 3:5 KJV
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Isaiah 55:6-11 KJV
6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Do you not see how that very Word, whom you say has errors, is the same which has proven the error of your own heart and mind? He is giving you what you came looking for: you asked for black and you have received according to what is already in you.

1 Corinthians 1:25-31 KJV
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

So what I quoted to you before is only "nonsense" to you from the outside looking in.
We are called to trust the Lord.

We are not called to trust man-made doctrines not found in scripture. Wouldn’t embracing a doctrine not found in scripture be relying on your own understanding?

You are not equating God with this false doctrine, are you?

So, I ask again:
Did Jesus tell the disciples to bring one animal or two?

Matthew 21:1 When they had come near Jerusalem and had reached Bethphage, at the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples, 2 saying to them, "Go into the village ahead of you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her; untie them and bring them to me. 3 If anyone says anything to you, just say this, "The Lord needs them.' And he will send them immediately. "

Mark 11:1 When they were approaching Jerusalem, at Bethphage and Bethany, near the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples 2 and said to them, "Go into the village ahead of you, and immediately as you enter it, you will find tied there a colt that has never been ridden; untie it and bring it. 3 If anyone says to you, "Why are you doing this?' just say this, "The Lord needs it and will send it back here immediately.' "

Luke 19:29 When he had come near Bethphage and Bethany, at the place called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of the disciples, 30 saying, "Go into the village ahead of you, and as you enter it you will find tied there a colt that has never been ridden. Untie it and bring it here. 31 If anyone asks you, "Why are you untying it?' just say this, "The Lord needs it.' "

This error is unimportant and insignificant to the credibility of the gospel, but it does discredit the doctrine of inerrancy.

Either Jesus told them to bring two animals (as Matthew declares), or Jesus told them to bring one animal (as Mark and Luke declare).

I would appreciate your clear answer.

WatchmanOnTheWall

However that is not how faith works: you are asked to believe, trust, and put your faith in the Word of Elohim:

Which translation of which books/scriptures and under who's say so? This debate has been raging for 2000 years+ and you seem to know the ultimate answer. Do tell.

2003cobra

I'm more with Cobra than against his pointing out these 'discrepancies'. I find them interesting and helpful in learning new things that support the validity of the Bible. They are there for our benefit I beleive. To try and ignore them or say they are there to test our faith is a mistake. I try to only fear God, where as I do not fear questioning words written in a book (by imperfect men) that have been translated several times and for which the originals are lost and where the oldest surviving fragments don't all match up perfectly either. I am making a right judgement as Jesus taught us to do.

Well said. If God is with us, why fear acknowledging the truth? Why fear honest discussion?

WatchmanOnTheWall

Hmmm.... Scripture refutes you.

Now just how much scripture does the word "all" omit as not being inspired of God? None. Nada. Zip. Zero. All includes all words of Scripture. All is a very powerful word. Very inclusive. All does not mean, some, most, very little, a lot, etc.... It means everything, the whole of, the entirety.

When Paul wrote that he was referring to the OT not the NT which hadn't been formally canonised and even then we can not be sure exactly which books of the OT he was upholding, save the Torah most probably.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Watchman,

I did some digging but did not find anything. So I did a quick study on my own. It's not that difficult given the tools that are available to us today. I also have some seminary Greek background - rudimentary at best.

I hold fast to the doctrine of inerrancy. After all, if I believe that God raised Jesus from the dead (and I do), inerrancy is a walk in the park.

Well I'm impressed, not many have that gift. If I had more time I might have got there myself:)

daqq

Thank you for clarifying that you do not believe God intentionally put errors in the text.

Could you clarify the other three questions that I asked?

Are claiming these stories describe two different historical events?

Are claiming they are both just stories and do not reflect historical events?

Are claiming the errors were put there as a test of our love of the Father?

I would prefer to discuss facts and interpretations.

If you have exhausted all you wish to discuss on the genealogies, perhaps we could go back to the animals of the triumphal entry. Did Jesus tell the Apostles to bring one animal or two? What were the instructions of Jesus?

My position was made clear enough: what do you want me to do?
You chose not to investigate or believe what I said:

Also there was a certain nobleman, (βασιλικος), whose son was sick at a Village of Comfort, (Kapher-Nahum). This one, having heard that Ι̅H was come out of Yhudah into the Galilah, came to him, and besought him that he would come down and heal his son: for he was about to die off. Ι̅H therefore said to him, If you do not see signs and omens you will not be convinced? The nobleman said to him, Adoni, please come down before my servant-child dies. Ι̅H said to him, Go your way, your son lives! And the certain one believed the Word which Ι̅H had spoken to him, and he went his way. And as he was presently going down his servants met him and told him, saying, Your child lives! He then inquired of them the hour when he began to amend: they said thus to him, Yesterday at the seventh hour the fever left him.

Every talmid has a "nobleman", and-or a "centurion of great faith", and all the remnant too: some for the good, (right hand side), and some for the evil, (left hand side), but in the end it all works toward the good for those who love Elohim. :)

Also there was a certain nobleman, (βασιλικος), whose son was sick at a Village of Comfort, (Kapher-Nahum). This one, having heard that Ι̅H was come out of Yhudah into the Galilah, came to him, and besought him that he would come down and heal his son: for he was about to die off. Ι̅H therefore said to him, If you do not see signs and omens you will not be convinced? The nobleman said to him, Adoni, please come down before my servant-child dies. Ι̅H said to him, Go your way, your son lives! And the certain one believed the Word which Ι̅H had spoken to him, and he went his way. And as he was presently going down his servants met him and told him, saying, Your child lives! He then inquired of them the hour when he began to amend: they said thus to him, Yesterday at the seventh hour the fever left him.

Every talmid has a "nobleman", and-or a "centurion of great faith", and all the remnant too: some for the good, (right hand side), and some for the evil, (left hand side), but in the end it all works toward the good for those who love Elohim. :)
This indeed is an edifying perspective. Thanks Daqq.

Even though there is evidence for and against it, I lean toward this being the same event as recorded in Matthew and Luke.

I used to presume that Luke must have been with the Apostle's from the beginning.
Partially due to Cobra pointing out some things I am not so adamant on that point.

On the other hand Matthew and John were eyewitnesses.
I see John's account as being more from an attitude of love and not going into details that would cause envy or strife.
Matthew being a former tax collector and suffering derogatory treatment from the religious sector probably wouldn't feel the same.

On a side note, I'm kinda like Peter and wonder how ornery John really was, beings those forgiven much love much.

I really meant that: every disciple has his, (or her), own basilikos-nobleman "future inheritor of the kingdom", (Gal 4:1-2), which is likened to a centurion or captain of a hundred(fold fruit), and that one is the one with the greatest faith/faithfulness just like father Abraham. Cornelius is another perfect example. Look in this direction if only for a little while: what if each author is telling you a little something about himself within the story without mentioning that it is himself so as not to boast? The drive to conflate, assimilate, and harmonize every account into what is assumed to be "perfect agreement" according to the carnal minded man is why we are where we are now with textual variants, (scribes trying to harmonize things that were never intended to be harmonized to begin with). Another good example of faulty "harmonization" attempts would be the possessed duo of the Gergesenos, the one from the Gadarenos, and the one from the Gerasenos, which are not one but three different events in three different locations, (three different disciples too!). :chuckle:

John 4:46-53 KJV
46 So Jesus came again into Cana of Galilee, where he made the water wine. And there was a certain nobleman, whose son was sick at Capernaum.
47 When he heard that Jesus was come out of Judaea into Galilee, he went unto him, and besought him that he would come down, and heal his son: for he was at the point of death.
48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.
49 The nobleman saith unto him, Sir, come down ere my child die.
50 Jesus saith unto him, Go thy way; thy son liveth. And the man believed the word that Jesus had spoken unto him, and he went his way.
51 And as he was now going down, his servants met him, and told him, saying, Thy son liveth.
52 Then enquired he of them the hour when he began to amend. And they said unto him, Yesterday at the seventh hour the fever left him.
53 So the father knew that it was at the same hour, in the which Jesus said unto him, Thy son liveth: and himself believed, and his whole house.

There are many more instances like this which cannot be the same person in some cases: the multiple men in the synagogue having an unclean spirit: the mother of Simon 1 with a fever, the mother of Simon 2 with a fever, and the mother Peter with a fever: the lepers who are cleansed, two of which go to the priest as Moses commanded and as the Master tells them to do, and one of which does not but rather goes about announcing what had been done to his own eventual demise, (because he is probably Judas), the two of the Gergasenes possessed of Girgashite-demons, the one from the Gadarenes with Legion, the one from the Gerasenes with Legion, (γερασ, a word play on γηρασ, "old one", as opposed to the territory of the city of Gerasa), the multiple men in the synagogue with a withered hand, and many more such instances. What are you going to do when you get to those if you ever do? Are you going to claim those are all erroneous too? You have no clue what you are reading and therefore no authority to say the things which you say because they come from your own understanding and imagination who does not comprehend what he reads.

daqq

Which translation of which books/scriptures and under who's say so? This debate has been raging for 2000 years+ and you seem to know the ultimate answer. Do tell.

There is a way to know all parables and thus what kinds of writings are true and what is fallacy.

Mark 4:13 KJV
11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.
13 And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?

If one begins to understand the LOGOS-REASONING within the parables of Messiah the same will begin to overcome and understand all things in true sacred writings. Many people claim to love God and serve Jesus but they do not do what he says or for the most part even understand what he says. All of the keys of the kingdom are freely given to us in the most holy Testimony of the Messiah in the Gospel accounts, (and I count at least seven Gospel accounts including Apokalypse Yaakob, ("the Protoevangelium of James"), the short fragment called "the Gospel of Peter", and the Testimony of Nikodemos, and yes, they all agree in the way in which I understand them: the problem is erroneous understanding which can only be overcome through the Testimony of Messiah).

WatchmanOnTheWall

George,
It would have been nice if you were more involved in the earlier errors we discussed.

In particular, the error in what Jesus said to the Apostles that he sent to fetch an animal or two animals for the triumphal entry. At least one of the gospels misquoted Jesus.

It was two animals as this fits with the prophesy, Jesus sat on one and put his feet on the other like a mobile throne (similar to God's mobile throne described Ezekiel):

Zechariah 9:9
Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he [is] just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an a-s, and upon a colt the foal of an a-s.

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/zec9.pdf

Gary K

Banned
No, only your interpretation disagrees with me.

You have an interpretation that inspiration means every word is God’s Word. That is not a teaching of scripture.

Jesus breathed on Peter and inspired him to lead the early church, yet every word out of his mouth was not God’s Word.

You have read into the passage a teaching that is not there.

Go back a verse or two and you will see that Paul was talking about the OT writings that Timothy had known from his youth.

Also, take a look at the use of all in the Bible. Try Mark 1:5
And people from the whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem were going out to him, and were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.

Were all the Jerusalem baptized, including the temple rulers?

Oh, so, in your mind, the NT is not scripture, for the only scripture Paul and Timothy knew was the OT. The NT simply didn't exist at that time.

Your reasoning just keeps on exposing your real views more all the time. You've just now admitted that you do not consider the NT to be scripture.

WatchmanOnTheWall

There is a way to know all parables and thus what kinds of writings are true and what is fallacy.

Mark 4:13 KJV
11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.
13 And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?

If one begins to understand the LOGOS-REASONING within the parables of Messiah the same will begin to overcome and understand all things in true sacred writings. Many people claim to love God and serve Jesus but they do not do what he says or for the most part even understand what he says. All of the keys of the kingdom are freely given to us in the most holy Testimony of the Messiah in the Gospel accounts, (and I count at least seven Gospel accounts including Apokalypse Yaakob, ("the Protoevangelium of James"), the short fragment called "the Gospel of Peter", and the Testimony of Nikodemos, and yes, they all agree in the way in which I understand them: the problem is erroneous understanding which can only be overcome through the Testimony of Messiah).

None of that addresses anything I asked but I assume it made sense in your mind? That's a strange way of thinking.

daqq

None of that addresses anything I asked but I assume it made sense in your mind? That's a strange way of thinking.

Uhm, just like someone else here: it did not answer your question according to your own comprehension of what was said. However it did answer your question because the debate you spoke of has indeed been "raging for two thousand years" and that is because of exactly the reason which I gave you: no understanding of the Testimony of Messiah which contains the keys to everything concerning the kingdom of Elohim. I have my "canon" and it is way more than what you probably consider to be canon. That is your problem in your house: I am called to follow Messiah, not what someone else tells me is the supposed canon. And truth be told there are many more supposed contradictions which I know are not contradictions because of what is written in my "canon" but not found in yours: even statements from Paul, such as what is found in 1Cor 15:1-5, a passage that most here would say contains the Gospel, and yet most cannot get passed verse five without a contradiction in their doctrine, (Kepha is expounded in the Gospel of John, the Gospel of Luke, and the Gospel of Nikodemos, and he is not Peter, lol).

2003cobra

Quote Originally Posted by daqq

My position was made clear enough: what do you want me to do?
You chose not to investigate or believe what I said:

Every talmid has a "nobleman", and-or a "centurion of great faith", and all the remnant too: some for the good, (right hand side), and some for the evil, (left hand side), but in the end it all works toward the good for those who love Elohim.

I am willing to look at this, daqq, and reconsider my comment.

First, are you quoting something? If so, what?

If you ask me to believe what appears to be a quote with no source identified, then we must discuss further first.

It appears you are saying that this is just a story like many others. That is one reason I asked you if you viewed the centurion story as history or not.

I would appreciate your clear answers.

WatchmanOnTheWall

daqq said; However that is not how faith works: you are asked to believe, trust, and put your faith in the Word of Elohim:

Watchman said; Which translation of which books/scriptures and under who's say so? This debate has been raging for 2000 years+ and you seem to know the ultimate answer. Do tell.

daqq said; And truth be told there are many more supposed contradictions which I know are not contradictions because of what is written in my "canon" but not found in yours

Can't wait for you tell us all what 'your' canon 'The canon of daqq' consists of? :poly:

2003cobra

It was two animals as this fits with the prophesy, Jesus sat on one and put his feet on the other like a mobile throne (similar to God's mobile throne described Ezekiel):

Zechariah 9:9
Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he [is] just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an a-s, and upon a colt the foal of an a-s.

Thanks.

I think that is what the writers of Matthew’s gospel thought, but what I have read about the Hebrew is that this refers to one animal. Here is the NET Bible translation:

9:9 Rejoice greatly, daughter of Zion!
Shout, daughter of Jerusalem!
Look! Your king is coming to you:
he is legitimate and victorious,
humble and riding on a donkey –
on a young donkey, the foal of a female donkey.
9:10 I will remove the chariot from Ephraim
and the warhorse from Jerusalem,
and the battle bow will be removed.
Then he will announce peace to the nations.
His dominion will be from sea to sea
and from the Euphrates River to the ends of the earth

That has multiple descriptions of one animal.

Either way, Jesus either told them to bring one animal or He told them to bring two animals.

Thank you for the post. Actually discussing the options is pleasant.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Thanks.

I think that is what the writers of Matthew’s gospel thought, but what I have read about the Hebrew is that this refers to one animal. Here is the NET Bible translation:

9:9 Rejoice greatly, daughter of Zion!
Shout, daughter of Jerusalem!
Look! Your king is coming to you:
he is legitimate and victorious,
humble and riding on a donkey –
on a young donkey, the foal of a female donkey.
9:10 I will remove the chariot from Ephraim
and the warhorse from Jerusalem,
and the battle bow will be removed.
Then he will announce peace to the nations.
His dominion will be from sea to sea
and from the Euphrates River to the ends of the earth

That has multiple descriptions of one animal.

Either way, Jesus either told them to bring one animal or He told them to bring two animals.

Thank you for the post. Actually discussing the options is pleasant.

I'm using the Interlinear;

he shall come to you righteous and being saved he humble and riding on donkey and on colt son of female donkeys.

= Two animals.