Saturday morning cartoons officially dead

Buzzword

I was more saddened by the death of the after-school block of cartoons on channels not dedicated to material for children (Fox, the WB, etc.).

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Vortexx was all reruns of canceled shows anyway. And cable has been airing cartoons on cartoon channels all throughout the day all throughout the week for a very long time now. It seems to me that this is long overdue.

MAN, what am I going to do on Saturdays NOW! :(

I like to watch a few minutes of cartoons from time to time in order to see what they are teaching kids. Most seems pretty benign but there's a lot of environmental propaganda. I don't remember the name of the show which was on perhaps 15 years ago now. Perhaps it was taken off, finally, because of the many instances of kids calling their parents pig and crying if they bought something made of wood---true stories. I watched a few episodes of it in which the people running a fishing boat were literally pigs and went out of their way to kill any cute, furry animal they could find.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am pretty sure Sponge Bob will be found every day of the week.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:think: I wouldn't say it's the end of Saturday morning cartoons as much as I would say it's the end of network domination of what to watch & when.

Cartoons are available 24/7 on a number of stations. This is just the big broadcast networks trying to make themselves more relevant.

musterion

My dad used to always ask me if Apache Chief was called Big Indian. "Hey, izzat Big Indian?" Found it annoying at the time. Now it's funny. He had some other choice ones I'd best not share.

The Berean

Nick M!! Herculoids was da bomb!! Loved that cartoon show! The intro was the best also. And Don't forget Jonny Quest.

The Berean

Batman: The Animated Series was a revelation. It started the modern superhero animation craze. It took the superhero genre out of the realm of camp and Saturday Morning cartoon shows for 8 year olds. It brought the grittiness and storytelling of the comic books to animation. I used to watch in college. I can't believe it debuted 22 years ago. It still looks great today.